PDA

View Full Version : Ti4200 broken?

reg
February 22nd 04, 08:15 PM
I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine when
displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d (games)
the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.

I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck. I
have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
avail.

I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.

Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
problems, but I have run out of solutions.

Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?

I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-

1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
which is smooth.
3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
5.fill rate - single texturing - works
6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
7.High polygon count - works
8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
9.Environment bump mapping - works
10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
11.Vertex shader - works
12.Pixel shader - works
13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
14.Point sprites - works

I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?

Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B, 20GB
& 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1, Direct
X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03

Many thanks

Mark A
February 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
"reg" > wrote in message
> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when
> displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d
(games)
> the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
> displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
>
> I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
> reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck.
> have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
> avail.
>
> I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
> for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
> display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.
>
> Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
> benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
> there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
> problems, but I have run out of solutions.
>
> Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
> correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?
>
> I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-
>
> 1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
> 2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
> which is smooth.
> 3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
> 4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
> 5.fill rate - single texturing - works
> 6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
> 7.High polygon count - works
> 8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
> 9.Environment bump mapping - works
> 10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
> 11.Vertex shader - works
> 12.Pixel shader - works
> 13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
> 14.Point sprites - works
>
> I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
> possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
> damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?
>
> Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
20GB
> & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,
Direct
> X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03
>
> Many thanks

The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
DirectX 9.

reg
February 22nd 04, 09:38 PM
"Mark A" > wrote in message
> "reg" > wrote in message

> The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
> DirectX 9.

Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9 (which
installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

dude
February 22nd 04, 10:07 PM
"reg" > wrote in message

| "Mark A" > wrote in message
| > "reg" > wrote in message
|
| > The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
| > DirectX 9.
|
| Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
(which
| installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?

dx9 has dx8 support

reg
February 22nd 04, 10:15 PM
"dude" > wrote in message ...

> "reg" > wrote in message
> |
> | "Mark A" > wrote in message
> | > "reg" > wrote in message
> |
> | > The GeoForce4 cards only support DirectX 8. The FX-5xxx cards support
> | > DirectX 9.
> |
> | Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
> (which
> | installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?
> |

> dx9 has dx8 support

Thanks for that-just been checking frantically through my PC mags and just
read that. So, whaddya reckon? Is the card busted?

Robert Gault
February 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
reg wrote:

> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine when
> displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d (games)
> the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
> displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
>
> I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
> reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck. I
> have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
> avail.
><snip>
> Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B, 20GB
> & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1, Direct
> X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03

You might want to try the nVidia 45.23 drivers. The 53.04 did not work
as well with my Ti-4200 as the older set. DirectX 9.0b is not an issue.

If you search the internet for Powerstrip, download, and install it, you
can get detailled information on your video card from the
Options/AdapterInformation utility. This will tell you whether you have
assigned an IRQ for the card, whether the AGP system is engaged, and
what the Ti-4200 clock settings are. You do need to assign an IRQ to the
card from the BIOS for this card.

Chances are good that the card has been damaged perhaps by overclocking.

Flow
February 22nd 04, 11:03 PM
"reg" > schreef in bericht

> "dude" > wrote in message ...

> > | Thanks - so where does that put me? Do I have to try and unistall DX9
> > (which
> > | installed itself with a games demo?) Or is the card werecked?
> > |

> > dx9 has dx8 support
> >
> Thanks for that-just been checking frantically through my PC mags and just
> read that. So, whaddya reckon? Is the card busted?

Yes,looks that way to me.Don't worry about dx9,it works with your card.
The stripes you describe could mean damaged memory on the card,this explains
the freezes in the gametests.
I know someone who had those stripes with his ti4800 and it was broke.
Go here for some benchmarks and testing progs for your vidcard
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html

DaveW
February 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
You're using a driver that is unstable with that older card. Try using the
45.23 driver with that card for stability in 3D games.

--
DaveW

"reg" > wrote in message
> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when
> displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d
(games)
> the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
> displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
>
> I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
> reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck.
> have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
> avail.
>
> I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
> for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
> display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.
>
> Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
> benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
> there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
> problems, but I have run out of solutions.
>
> Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
> correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?
>
> I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-
>
> 1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
> 2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
> which is smooth.
> 3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
> 4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
> 5.fill rate - single texturing - works
> 6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
> 7.High polygon count - works
> 8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
> 9.Environment bump mapping - works
> 10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
> 11.Vertex shader - works
> 12.Pixel shader - works
> 13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
> 14.Point sprites - works
>
> I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
> possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
> damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?
>
> Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
20GB
> & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,
Direct
> X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03
>
> Many thanks

Rusty Smith
February 23rd 04, 01:14 AM
Pull the card and look for swollen capacitors. It sounds like a capacitor
is leaking.
If this card was purchased a year to two years ago it is likely that bad
capacitors were unknowingly put on the card as there was a bad batch
produced from one of the major manufactures of capacitors in Taiwan about
this time. We had a Gainward TI4200 which was RMA'ed as a result of this
problem.

"reg" > wrote in message
> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when
> displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d
(games)
> the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
> displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
>
> I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
> reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck.
> have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
> avail.
>
> I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
> for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
> display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.
>
> Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
> benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
> there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
> problems, but I have run out of solutions.
>
> Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
> correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?
>
> I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-
>
> 1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
> 2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
> which is smooth.
> 3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
> 4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
> 5.fill rate - single texturing - works
> 6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
> 7.High polygon count - works
> 8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
> 9.Environment bump mapping - works
> 10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
> 11.Vertex shader - works
> 12.Pixel shader - works
> 13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
> 14.Point sprites - works
>
> I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
> possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
> damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?
>
> Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
20GB
> & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,
Direct
> X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03
>
> Many thanks

Rusty Smith
February 23rd 04, 01:17 AM
For the TI4200 use the 56.55 drivers from Gainward. The driver is a early
release from Nvidia and produces excellent results both in graphic quality
and speed.

"Robert Gault" > wrote in message
> reg wrote:
>
> > I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when
> > displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d
(games)
> > the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are
not
> > displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
> >
> > I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia
drivers,
> > reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no
luck. I
> > have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to
no
> > avail.
> ><snip>
> > Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
20GB
> > & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,
Direct
> > X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03
> >

> You might want to try the nVidia 45.23 drivers. The 53.04 did not work
> as well with my Ti-4200 as the older set. DirectX 9.0b is not an issue.
>
> If you search the internet for Powerstrip, download, and install it, you
> can get detailled information on your video card from the
> Options/AdapterInformation utility. This will tell you whether you have
> assigned an IRQ for the card, whether the AGP system is engaged, and
> what the Ti-4200 clock settings are. You do need to assign an IRQ to the
> card from the BIOS for this card.
>
> Chances are good that the card has been damaged perhaps by overclocking.

Rusty Smith
February 23rd 04, 01:18 AM

"ken hudson" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > 4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
> > 5.fill rate - single texturing - works
> > 6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
> > 7.High polygon count - works
> > 8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
> > 9.Environment bump mapping - works
> > 10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
> > 11.Vertex shader - works
> > 12.Pixel shader - works
> > 13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
> > 14.Point sprites - works
> >
> > I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is
it
> > possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
> > damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?
> >
> > Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
> 20GB
> > & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,

Graywolf
February 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
I had the same problem with my PNY Ti4200 ultra 64mb and I sent it back to
PNY and they replaced it with a Gforce FX 5600 ultra 128mb. I am still
having the same problems as you with the 3D Games only. XP works fine no
problems. I have emailed tech support and am waiting for a reply.

"reg" > wrote in message
> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when
> displaying the desktop, but whenever it is called upon to display 3d
(games)
> the display either freezes immediately or sections of the graphics are not
> displayed, with funny stripes where textures should be.
>
> I have run DXdiag which reports no problem, reinstalled my Nvidia drivers,
> reinstalled Direct X 9.0b and reinstalled my FPS games, all with no luck.
> have installed the Nvidia drivers which were rock solid previously, to no
> avail.
>
> I have physically reinstalled the graphics card and checked all my drivers
> for errors, again with no luck. When I run 3DMark 2001 I either get no
> display, or again immediately frozen graphics with corruption.
>
> Is there any test I can do to find out if my card has bitten the dust? Any
> benchmarking or software that will test my graphics card and tell me if
> there are problems? I don't want to buy a new card to find I have the same
> problems, but I have run out of solutions.
>
> Is it possible for my desktop and day to day applications to display
> correctly, even when my card has turned up its toes for games playing?
>
> I have just run 3DMark right through and get the following results:-
>
> 1.Car drive - freezes or corrupted graphics
> 2.Dragon - freezes or corrupted graphics, apart from slow pan of the city
> which is smooth.
> 3. Lobby - both freeze or miss graphics, but sideways running works
> 4.Nature - freezes or missing graphics
> 5.fill rate - single texturing - works
> 6.fill rate - multi texturing - works
> 7.High polygon count - works
> 8.High polygon count (8 lights) - works
> 9.Environment bump mapping - works
> 10.DOT 3 bump mapping - freezes
> 11.Vertex shader - works
> 12.Pixel shader - works
> 13.Advanced pixel shader - freezes
> 14.Point sprites - works
>
> I get a 3DMark of 799 instead of my usual 7100. What I am asking is, is it
> possible for a card to produce these results, yet still be physically
> damaged, or am I still trying to locate a software fault?
>
> Machine specs - AMD Duron 1.3, 1GB SDRAM, QDI Mobo K7V8363 Kinetiz 7B,
20GB
> & 40gb HD, PNY GeForce 4 Ti4200. Windows XP Home Edition 2002 & SP 1,
Direct
> X 9.0b, Nvidia 53.03
>
> Many thanks

Fast Eddy
February 23rd 04, 02:32 AM
"reg" > wrote in message
> I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
when.... snip

Hi reg, is its fan still spinning?
hth
regards
Eddy

---

PRIVATE1964
February 23rd 04, 03:26 AM

>BTW: What improvments should be in the 53.04 drivers, and why are
> they unstable with the older 4200 card (should they be ?) ?

No they work fine with older video cards, but you will lose performance. The
newest drivers seem to work best with the newest cards. I run the 44.03's with
my 4200 and they seem to be the best.

Dominic Brayne
February 23rd 04, 10:35 AM
"Fast Eddy" > wrote in message

> "reg" > wrote in message
> > I have a Ti4200 card which seems to have a major problem. It works fine
> when.... snip
>
> Hi reg, is its fan still spinning?
> hth
> regards
> Eddy
Thanks for all the replies - the fan is still spinning. I have checked for
swollen capacitors but they look ok to me.
I guess the card has turned up its toes - I tried reinstalling the older
drivers last night but they made no difference :o(

Reg

PRIVATE1964
February 23rd 04, 03:09 PM
What about re-installing the motherboards chipset drivers and/or DirectX?

reg
February 23rd 04, 03:27 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> What about re-installing the motherboards chipset drivers and/or
DirectX?

Thanks - tried that this morning with no luck. I used the new VIA drivers
which made no difference. I am fast thinking the card has had it :o(

Reg

CiRcUiT
February 23rd 04, 08:49 PM
So are you saying that I shouldn't be running the 53.03's on
my Ti4200? They run fine for me but if there is a
performance decrease then I think I would like to downgrade
my drivers. A difference of 2-5 fps isn't going to make me
change them though.

--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message

| >BTW: What improvments should be in the 53.04 drivers,
and why are
| > they unstable with the older 4200 card (should they
be ?) ?

| No they work fine with older video cards, but you will
lose performance. The
| newest drivers seem to work best with the newest cards. I
run the 44.03's with
| my 4200 and they seem to be the best.

PRIVATE1964
February 24th 04, 12:57 AM
>So are you saying that I shouldn't be running the 53.03's on
>my Ti4200? They run fine for me but if there is a
>performance decrease then I think I would like to downgrade
>my drivers. A difference of 2-5 fps isn't going to make me
>change them though.

With my overclocked Albatron 4200. I did quite a bit of testing with newer
drivers compared to older drivers. I gain around 1000 points in 3Dmark 2001 and
around 200 points in 3Dmark 2003 running the 44.03's compared to the newer
drivers. I see no reason to use the newer drivers unless you need certain bug
fixes that are in them for specific games you might own.
I think any drivers close in number to the 44.03's are good for the 4200, but I
stick with the 44.03's because I have not had a single problem with them.

PRIVATE1964
February 24th 04, 01:15 AM

>Thanks - tried that this morning with no luck. I used the new VIA drivers
>which made no difference. I am fast thinking the card has had it :o(
>
>Reg

Well I would try to rule out one thing at a time. If you have another AGP
graphic card try it to see if it has any problems in the slot. Even if its an
older card. Run 3Dmark with it to check for problems. You can set a restore
point in Windows XP, before trying a different card so it's easier to go back
to the card your using. If another card works fine. With the way you described
how it ran 3DMark that would lead me to believe it's probably bad. Running just
windows the card doesn't really use all that much video memory so it might run
that fine. The GPU is also not being stressed running 2D like it is running 3D.

Shepİ
February 24th 04, 02:03 AM
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:27:12 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"
> wrote :

>"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
>> What about re-installing the motherboards chipset drivers and/or
>DirectX?
>
>Thanks - tried that this morning with no luck. I used the new VIA drivers
>which made no difference. I am fast thinking the card has had it :o(
>
>Reg

Does the card run games?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

PRIVATE1964
February 24th 04, 03:37 AM
That's weird. Usually bad memory will be specks or flashing letters
and symbols.....really random things on the screen. That is too uniform of a
pattern to be bad memory if you ask me. Does the pattern change or stay the
same?

reg
February 24th 04, 09:58 AM
"Shepİ" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:27:12 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"
> > wrote :
>

> >"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >> What about re-installing the motherboards chipset drivers and/or
> >DirectX?
> >
> >Thanks - tried that this morning with no luck. I used the new VIA drivers
> >which made no difference. I am fast thinking the card has had it :o(
> >
> >Reg
> >

> Does the card run games?

No, games are the big problem, withy lock ups, freezing, corruption and
missing graphics.

Reg

Shepİ
February 24th 04, 09:22 PM
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:58:45 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"
> wrote :

>"Shepİ" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:27:12 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"
>> > wrote :

>> >DirectX?
>> >
>> >Thanks - tried that this morning with no luck. I used the new VIA drivers
>> >which made no difference. I am fast thinking the card has had it :o(
>> >
>> >Reg
>> >

>> Does the card run games?
>>
>No, games are the big problem, withy lock ups, freezing, corruption and
>missing graphics.
>
>Reg

Reseat card so it,"Clicks" into place.
Enter mother board BIOS and check that the assign IRQ to PCI VGA is
enabled if there is this option.
Set AGP aperture to 64 meg.
Set Video card to boot AGP 1st.
Re-boot to Safemode/Device Manager and remove ALL traces of the card's
driver entries and re-boot.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

reg
February 25th 04, 09:43 AM
"Shepİ" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:58:45 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"
> > wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" > wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:27:12 -0000 Knowing the password "reg"

> >> Does the card run games?
> >>
> >No, games are the big problem, withy lock ups, freezing, corruption and
> >missing graphics.
> >
> >Reg
> >

> Reseat card so it,"Clicks" into place.
> Enter mother board BIOS and check that the assign IRQ to PCI VGA is
> enabled if there is this option.
> Set AGP aperture to 64 meg.
> Set Video card to boot AGP 1st.
> Re-boot to Safemode/Device Manager and remove ALL traces of the card's
> driver entries and re-boot.

Thanks for the advice - I followed it but still the card doesn't work, so I
guess it is off to the shops for a new one.

Reg