PDA

View Full Version : 56.55 Driver POOR performance with FX 5900

Mike
February 22nd 04, 01:12 PM
I got this driver from Guru3d.com and scores from all my benchmarks went
down by 9% -15%. Anyone else having the same results?
--
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R

Aki Peltola
February 22nd 04, 02:06 PM
"Mike" > wrote
> I got this driver from Guru3d.com and scores from all my benchmarks went
> down by 9% -15%. Anyone else having the same results?

Haven't noticed any dramatic drops in performance, but
come to that I haven't looked any benchmarks and card
is only GF3 Ti200 :-)

Are these 56.55's really the first drivers that do have
this nice profiling-system for games? Quite handy, now
I don't have to go and manually switch that damn VSYNC
on every time before playing Beyond Good & Evil...

Mr. Brian Allen
February 22nd 04, 03:40 PM
> Are these 56.55's really the first drivers that do have
> this nice profiling-system for games? Quite handy, now
> I don't have to go and manually switch that damn VSYNC
> on every time before playing Beyond Good & Evil...

What do you need to do that for? I love this game, but boy is it particular
about the video settings!

Anders Albrechtsen
February 22nd 04, 04:21 PM
"Aki Peltola" > wrote in message
> "Mike" > wrote
> > I got this driver from Guru3d.com and scores from all my benchmarks went
> > down by 9% -15%. Anyone else having the same results?
>
> Haven't noticed any dramatic drops in performance, but
> come to that I haven't looked any benchmarks and card
> is only GF3 Ti200 :-)
>
> Are these 56.55's really the first drivers that do have
> this nice profiling-system for games? Quite handy, now
> I don't have to go and manually switch that damn VSYNC
> on every time before playing Beyond Good & Evil...

Intersting. The water is completely messed up in Beyond Good and Evil on my
system with the 56.55 drivers.
---
Anders

Mr. Brian Allen
February 22nd 04, 04:45 PM
> Intersting. The water is completely messed up in Beyond Good and Evil on
my
> system with the 56.55 drivers.

Not mine. The game looks great. I did have to change some of the settings
though.

Aki Peltola
February 22nd 04, 08:47 PM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote
> > Are these 56.55's really the first drivers that do have
> > this nice profiling-system for games? Quite handy, now
> > I don't have to go and manually switch that damn VSYNC
> > on every time before playing Beyond Good & Evil...
> What do you need to do that for? I love this game, but boy is it
particular
> about the video settings!

If VSYNC is off, graphics are terribly corrupted.
But I guess this is a demo related issue... hopefully, because
I'm very attempted to get the full version in my hands.

Anders Albrechtsen
February 22nd 04, 10:41 PM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> > Intersting. The water is completely messed up in Beyond Good and Evil on
> my
> > system with the 56.55 drivers.
>
> Not mine. The game looks great. I did have to change some of the
settings
> though.

I see. Which settings did you change?
---
Anders

Mr. Brian Allen
February 22nd 04, 11:13 PM
> I see. Which settings did you change?

I had to turn off HW Vertex Processing and W Buffer, and I had to lower the
antialiasing just a hair from the top of the slider.

Anders Albrechtsen
February 23rd 04, 12:04 AM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> > I see. Which settings did you change?
>
> I had to turn off HW Vertex Processing and W Buffer, and I had to lower
the
> antialiasing just a hair from the top of the slider.

Aha, but doesn't the game run a lot slower without HW vertex processing?
Anyway thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions.
---
Anders

Mr. Brian Allen
February 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
> Aha, but doesn't the game run a lot slower without HW vertex processing?
> Anyway thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions.

Nope. It runs like a charm and looks beautiful. I had to turn it off
because I was getting major graphics corruption.

tq96
February 23rd 04, 12:14 AM
> If VSYNC is off, graphics are terribly corrupted.
> But I guess this is a demo related issue... hopefully, because
> I'm very attempted to get the full version in my hands.

Why would you assume that? The demo is supposed to be an accurate
representation of the actual game. It's wishful thinking to assume that a
bug will be present only in the demo.

Anders Albrechtsen
February 23rd 04, 12:21 AM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> > Aha, but doesn't the game run a lot slower without HW vertex processing?
> > Anyway thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions.
>
> Nope. It runs like a charm and looks beautiful. I had to turn it off
> because I was getting major graphics corruption.

What graphics card do you have (mine is a 5950 Ultra)? I turned off HW
vertex processing, w-buffer off, and performance was halfed and the water
reflections were gone. I'll roll back to the 53.03s which work fine with
BGaE. Thanks again.
---
Anders

John Lewis
February 23rd 04, 12:28 AM
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:21:55 +0100, "Anders Albrechtsen"
> wrote:

>"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
>> > Aha, but doesn't the game run a lot slower without HW vertex processing?
>> > Anyway thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions.
>>
>> Nope. It runs like a charm and looks beautiful. I had to turn it off
>> because I was getting major graphics corruption.
>
>What graphics card do you have (mine is a 5950 Ultra)? I turned off HW
>vertex processing, w-buffer off, and performance was halfed and the water
>reflections were gone. I'll roll back to the 53.03s which work fine with
>BGaE. Thanks again.
>---
>Anders

Warning re BG&E.

Under no circumstances force any settings directly in the nVidia
driver. Use the video setup program supplied with BG&E.

John Lewis

Mr. Brian Allen
February 23rd 04, 12:56 AM
> What graphics card do you have (mine is a 5950 Ultra)? I turned off HW
> vertex processing, w-buffer off, and performance was halfed and the water
> reflections were gone. I'll roll back to the 53.03s which work fine with
> BGaE. Thanks again.

MSI TI4800. I haven't tried any other drivers with this game (just got it
last night). Do the 53.03's work better?

Anders Albrechtsen
February 23rd 04, 12:56 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:21:55 +0100, "Anders Albrechtsen"
> > wrote:

> >> Nope. It runs like a charm and looks beautiful. I had to turn it off
> >> because I was getting major graphics corruption.
> >
> >What graphics card do you have (mine is a 5950 Ultra)? I turned off HW
> >vertex processing, w-buffer off, and performance was halfed and the water
> >reflections were gone. I'll roll back to the 53.03s which work fine with
> >BGaE. Thanks again.
> >---
> >Anders
> >

> Warning re BG&E.
>
> Under no circumstances force any settings directly in the nVidia
> driver. Use the video setup program supplied with BG&E.

I know. All mentioned settings were made in the BGE setup program But
apparantly there's an issue with the 56.55/56.56 drivers. The 53.xx series
and ealier drivers work fine.
----
Anders

Anders Albrechtsen
February 23rd 04, 12:59 AM
"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> > What graphics card do you have (mine is a 5950 Ultra)? I turned off HW
> > vertex processing, w-buffer off, and performance was halfed and the
water
> > reflections were gone. I'll roll back to the 53.03s which work fine with
> > BGaE. Thanks again.
>
> MSI TI4800. I haven't tried any other drivers with this game (just got it
> last night). Do the 53.03's work better?

Yes.

1 Enable HW vertex processing
2. w-buffer turned off.
3. Turn V-sync on
---
Anders

Mr. Brian Allen
February 23rd 04, 04:41 AM
> Yes.
>
> 1 Enable HW vertex processing
> 2. w-buffer turned off.
> 3. Turn V-sync on

I tried it. I was able to run HW vertext processing. The game seemed to
run smoother. More frames, particularly in the hovercraft areas. Thanks!

Aki Peltola
February 23rd 04, 09:26 AM
"tq96" > wrote
> > If VSYNC is off, graphics are terribly corrupted.
> > But I guess this is a demo related issue... hopefully, because
> > I'm very attempted to get the full version in my hands.
> Why would you assume that? The demo is supposed to be an accurate
> representation of the actual game. It's wishful thinking to assume that a
> bug will be present only in the demo.

Demoreadme.txt:
"Please note that Beyond Good & Evil is still in development.
The demo does not represent the quality of the final product."

Mike
February 23rd 04, 09:46 AM
With Comanche 4, I kept getting errors when loading, and with Delta Force:
Black Hawk Down I got errors during game play. I'm sure there's a reason why
this driver isn't available yet from Nvidia's website.

--
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2150Mhz
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R
"william bell" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:12:53 -0700, "Mike" > wrote:
>

> >I got this driver from Guru3d.com and scores from all my benchmarks went
> >down by 9% -15%. Anyone else having the same results?
>

> Well from my Results and what I have read in Review its about 2% Drop,
but
> the Driver has a number of new features that are a Must, but its been
posted
> that its Faster with Real Games..

tq96
February 23rd 04, 09:24 PM
> Demoreadme.txt:
> "Please note that Beyond Good & Evil is still in development.
> The demo does not represent the quality of the final product."

Makes sense to me. :)