PDA

View Full Version : replacing gf 4 ti 4200 heatsink

raj
February 18th 04, 03:18 AM
i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to thermaltake
silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si possible to put this
stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti 4200, if thier is any kinda of
ghetto way i can put it on :)

neopolaris
February 18th 04, 08:35 AM
raj wrote:
> i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to
> thermaltake silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si
> possible to put this stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti
> 4200, if thier is any kinda of ghetto way i can put it on :)

Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount a SS7
HSF to a GF2 GTS

PRIVATE1964
February 19th 04, 12:56 AM
>Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount a SS7
>HSF to a GF2 GTS

I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its better
thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work with. I find when
you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the place and the stuff goes
everywhere which is not good because its slightly conductive.
I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it seems to
dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding all over the place
as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally as Arctic Silver adhesive, but
its close.

Tom Dearst
February 19th 04, 02:57 AM
I always do. Or some variation thereof. With a fan of course.
Tom

"raj" > wrote in message
> just out of curiosity I got a socket a cooler with a heatsink (was use on
> athlon xp 2600+) could I use it on my gf 4 ti 4200 using adhesive?
> "PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> > >Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount
> SS7
> > >HSF to a GF2 GTS
> >
> > I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its better
> > thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work with. I
find
> when
> > you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the place and the stuff
> goes
> > everywhere which is not good because its slightly conductive.
> > I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it
> seems to
> > dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding all over the
> place
> > as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally as Arctic Silver
> adhesive, but
> > its close.

raj
February 19th 04, 04:37 AM
just out of curiosity I got a socket a cooler with a heatsink (was use on
athlon xp 2600+) could I use it on my gf 4 ti 4200 using adhesive?
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> >Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to mount a
SS7
> >HSF to a GF2 GTS
>
> I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its better
> thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work with. I find
when
> you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the place and the stuff
goes
> everywhere which is not good because its slightly conductive.
> I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it
seems to
> dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding all over the
place
> as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally as Arctic Silver
adhesive, but
> its close.

PRIVATE1964
February 19th 04, 04:41 AM
One more thing about the Arctic Alumina. If you have any left over its great
to use for other things also because its heat resistant and you don't have to
worry about it shorting anything out.
I've used it to cover wires that I have soldered, to hold on an 80mm fan I
attached to my video card, to glue a pot to my motherboard for a vcore
mod....etc great stuff!

neopolaris
February 19th 04, 02:00 PM
PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>> Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to
>> mount a SS7 HSF to a GF2 GTS
>
> I wouldn't use that. Its too messy and too much risk. I know its
> better thermally then everything else, but I found its hard to work
> with. I find when you try to attach heatsinks they slide all over the
> place and the stuff goes everywhere which is not good because its
> slightly conductive.
> I would use Artic Alumina Adhesive instead. It is super strong and it
> seems to dry quicker and grab onto the heatsink without it sliding
> all over the place as you apply pressure. Its not as good thermally
> as Arctic Silver adhesive, but its close.

Good point. It's not for newbs but the thermal properties are far superior
than the Alumina. I had my HSF clamped on for 30minutes and was using it
the next morning so the cure time is about the same. Once again, the silver
isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.

PRIVATE1964
February 19th 04, 03:44 PM
>Once again, the silver
>isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.

I'm far from being a newb, and I still found the Artic Silver Adhesive very
hard to work with. I do think what your saying about the total cure time is
right, but thats not what I meant.
If you use both to attach heatsinks. You won't have to hold the heatsink with
the Artic Alumina as long. It seems to set quicker and the heatsink doesn't
slide as easy as with the Artic Silver Adhesive. When I have used the Artic
Silver adhesive with a clamp. The clamp would have to apply pressure directly
on center or the heatsink would slide all over the place, which I found to be
just about impossible. Using Alumina Adhesive with the same clamp the heatsink
would not slide as much and you would not need the clamp on as long as with
Arctic Silver adhesive.

neopolaris
February 19th 04, 06:59 PM
PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>> Once again, the silver
>> isn't for the newbs. If you are scared, use the Alumina.
>
> I'm far from being a newb, and I still found the Artic Silver
> Adhesive very hard to work with. I do think what your saying about
> the total cure time is right, but thats not what I meant.
> If you use both to attach heatsinks. You won't have to hold the
> heatsink with the Artic Alumina as long. It seems to set quicker and
> the heatsink doesn't slide as easy as with the Artic Silver Adhesive.
> When I have used the Artic Silver adhesive with a clamp. The clamp
> would have to apply pressure directly on center or the heatsink would
> slide all over the place, which I found to be just about impossible.
> Using Alumina Adhesive with the same clamp the heatsink would not
> slide as much and you would not need the clamp on as long as with
> Arctic Silver adhesive.

I have never noticed the sliding of parts as you mention. That plus the
superior heat dissapation of the silver, well...there's my input for the OP.
Silver is not for the newbs.

Tal Fucus
February 19th 04, 09:23 PM
Can you take off the old heatsink ?
If it strongly sticked you might break the GPU while trying to remove it, so
be carefull with that

Tal

"raj" > wrote in message
> i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to thermaltake
> silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si possible to put
this
> stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti 4200, if thier is any kinda of
> ghetto way i can put it on :)

PRIVATE1964
February 19th 04, 11:30 PM

>I have never noticed the sliding of parts as you mention. That plus the
>superior heat dissapation of the silver, well...there's my input for the OP.
>Silver is not for the newbs.

Maybe I get a little bit carried away with applying too much pressure I don't
know but when I use it the heatsinks go sliding all over the place. I also
noticed that I put just a very small amount on and it still gets squeezed out
by the ram sinks I'm attaching. I don't think I have ever used it for the GPU
though. That has always been Alumina Adhesive.
There are ways around the problems I had though. You can use some clear
silicone for protection to coat the pins of video ram before using it or even
tape of some kind around the GPU before using the Arctic Silver Adhesive.

llamaboiz
February 20th 04, 04:11 AM
i agree with Tal, you can damage the gpu if your not careful, one eaiser and
safer way for more cooling would be to get a PCI slot type cooler ie: AOC
FC-2000-b system blower, i have one over my gpu fan and it takes up the
first pci slot...but so what it works great.

"Tal Fucus" > wrote in message
> Can you take off the old heatsink ?
> If it strongly sticked you might break the GPU while trying to remove it,
so
> be carefull with that
>
> Tal
>
> "raj" > wrote in message
> > i have a large socket a cooler from a 3200+ ( I upgraded to thermaltake
> > silent boost ) and was woundering if any knwo if it si possible to put
> this
> > stock cooler for scket a on my geforce 4 ti 4200, if thier is any kinda
of
> > ghetto way i can put it on :)

tq96
February 20th 04, 07:09 AM
>>> Artic Silver Silver Adhesive providing it'll fit. I use that to
> Good point. It's not for newbs but the thermal properties are far
> superior than the Alumina. I had my HSF clamped on for 30minutes and

They say that the thermal properties of Ceramique are close to or better
than Arctic Silver without any of the conductive properties.

PRIVATE1964
February 20th 04, 03:48 PM
>They say that the thermal properties of Ceramique are close to or better
>than Arctic Silver without any of the conductive properties.

Thats true but we are talking about the thermal adhesives. They don't yet have
a Ceramique adhesive.