PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare Questions

Colin
February 16th 04, 06:03 PM
I have some questions about the nVidia Forceware drivers that I can't seem
to find the answer to. These questions relate to the performance and quality
settings tab and are as follows

1) The Image Settings slider has High Performance -> Performance -> Quality.
What exactly is meant by these settings? What does setting any of these
actually do?

2) Anisotropic filtering - if this is set to say 2x it will override an
application's default but if an application never had an anisotropic setting
in the first place will the drivers attempt to filter anyway at 2x.

3) Same question as 2) but Antialiasing setting in driver

4) What relation does Bilinear Filtering and Trilinear Filtering have to
Anisotropic filtering? In Quake 3 for example these are the two options and
there is no Anisotropic filtering option but benchmarks often refer to
running Quake 2 with Anisotropic filtering enabled. Am I missing something
here as this seems to be unexplained.

5) Last question if I have an nVidia card that doesn't support say 8x
Anisotropic filtering but set this on the driver what will happen?

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Colin

Vigor
February 17th 04, 01:39 PM
TweakTown has a useful guide for nvidia cards (and other stuff).
You will find explanation of the questions you have in:

nVidia Graphics Tweaking Guide :

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=249

regards,

FB

(Colin) wrote in message >...
> I have some questions about the nVidia Forceware drivers that I can't seem
> to find the answer to. These questions relate to the performance and quality
> settings tab and are as follows

tq96
February 18th 04, 07:25 AM
> 2) Anisotropic filtering - if this is set to say 2x it will override
> an application's default but if an application never had an
> anisotropic setting in the first place will the drivers attempt to
> filter anyway at 2x.
>
> 3) Same question as 2) but Antialiasing setting in driver

Setting the AA and FSAA settings in the drivers prevents an application
from making any changes to those settings. It is a complete override
whether the application knows what FSAA is or not.

John Lewis
February 18th 04, 09:43 AM
On 18 Feb 2004 00:25:10 -0600, tq96 > wrote:

>> 2) Anisotropic filtering - if this is set to say 2x it will override
>> an application's default but if an application never had an
>> anisotropic setting in the first place will the drivers attempt to
>> filter anyway at 2x.
>>
>> 3) Same question as 2) but Antialiasing setting in driver
>
>Setting the AA and FSAA settings in the drivers prevents an application
>from making any changes to those settings. It is a complete override
>whether the application knows what FSAA is or not.

And some applications specifically warn you in their Release
Notes/Readme not to force AA or other user-forceable filter
settings in the driver UI. So, if you get wierd results, even crashes,
on some Apps having manually forced the filter settings. then:-

(a) read the video-related sections of the Application
release-documentation

and

(b) restore all forced settings to default and see if the
wierd effects disappear.

John Lewis

tq96
February 18th 04, 07:00 PM
> And some applications specifically warn you in their Release
> Notes/Readme not to force AA or other user-forceable filter
> settings in the driver UI. So, if you get wierd results, even crashes,
> on some Apps having manually forced the filter settings. then:-

So far I've found a lot of these games:
- Resident Evil 2 & 3: Games produced artifacts. At first I thought the
card was over heating.
- Silent Hill 2: Game produced white lines along the edges of objects.
- Beyond Good & Evil Demo: Game produced no graphics at all.

With all but BG&E, the games worked great when I switched from multisample
FSAA to supersample FSAA via aTuner. I didn't try supersampling with BG&E
because I didn't expect my GF4 to be able to play such a new game in such a
demanding FSAA mode, but I suspect it would have worked as well.

John Lewis
February 18th 04, 09:02 PM
On 18 Feb 2004 12:00:12 -0600, tq96 > wrote:

>> And some applications specifically warn you in their Release
>> Notes/Readme not to force AA or other user-forceable filter
>> settings in the driver UI. So, if you get wierd results, even crashes,
>> on some Apps having manually forced the filter settings. then:-
>
>So far I've found a lot of these games:
>- Resident Evil 2 & 3: Games produced artifacts. At first I thought the
>card was over heating.
>- Silent Hill 2: Game produced white lines along the edges of objects.
>- Beyond Good & Evil Demo: Game produced no graphics at all.
>
>With all but BG&E, the games worked great when I switched from multisample
>FSAA to supersample FSAA via aTuner. I didn't try supersampling with BG&E
>because I didn't expect my GF4 to be able to play such a new game in such a
>demanding FSAA mode, but I suspect it would have worked as well.

Yep. BG&E was one application that I had in mind.

Some OT observations:-

BG&E got the Avault top award in the review just released yesterday by
www.avault.com. The reviewer was Bob Mandel who has been highly
respected over the years for his impartial reviews of computer games.
Because it is such a cross-genre game, it probably will not get the
respect it deserves in the US gaming community, which tends to buy
games narrowly-focussed on one particular genre, and where the
developers flog that fact to death.... Diablo, Command and Conquer,
Doom-clones, HL-clones...Hopefully, BG&E will do better elsewhere.

However, my reaction to the game as I played it almost exactly
parallels that of Bob. A lovingly put-together work of the very best
elements in the art-form called computer-gaming. An interesting
note -- the project leader for BG&E was Yves Guillemot,
which if I am not mistaken is the CEO of Ubisoft (unless he
or other members of the family have a son of the same name....)

But, again I was one of those who bought and enjoyed Deus Ex 1
when it was first released. And Half-Life when it was first released
( but am not particularly interested in HL2 ). And Thief. And BF1942.
And am looking forward to Far Cry. Maybe, I just like games which
seem to take quantum leaps over the ever-present clutter of clones.

John Lewis

R. S.
February 24th 04, 09:26 PM
(John Lewis) wrote in
:

> On 18 Feb 2004 12:00:12 -0600, tq96 > wrote:
>>> And some applications specifically warn you in their Release
>>> Notes/Readme not to force AA or other user-forceable filter
>>> settings in the driver UI. So, if you get wierd results, even
>>> crashes, on some Apps having manually forced the filter settings.
>>> then:
I've never played ANY PC game with AA on in the Control Panel.
It just seemed to take too much resources to make stuff blurry.
FYI, I'm using a GF4Ti4200 AGP-8X, Win XP Home, on a Athlon XP 1800+.
Nothing overclocked. Haven't much messed with Aniso past 2X for the
same reason. MipMap LOD is a lil' different..

> BG&E got the Avault top award in the review just released yesterday by
> www.avault.com. The reviewer was Bob Mandel who has been highly
> respected over the years for his impartial reviews of computer games.
> Because it is such a cross-genre game, it probably will not get the
> respect it deserves in the US gaming community,
Guess I'm in the minority. I'm in the U.S. & when I found out that
BG&E was lowered to $20. I snatched it up. (Budget Gamer) I found it's
one game where I don't want to call up the developer/level designer &
ask them to come show me how they expect someone to get past a seemingly
impossible, or just plain illogical level/area/stage. Some games have
levels/areas/stages that either leave you wondering what action/path the
designer wants you to do, or that make you want to toss the controller at
the wall out of frustration. Some are so hard that you wonder if even the
designer could make it through the level/area/stage. Not saying that BG&E's
really easy, but at least it makes sense, or they give an idea as to what's
next. Especially the map screen. Most games that DO have a map screen just
have a floor plan, and a litle marker to represent you. That's it. Unlike
BG&E where they do that, AND show you where you have to go next, or where
the item you're looking for is. So, you don't have to spend hours going
around in circles, and checking every nook & cranny for the item/location
you need to go.

> But, again I was one of those who bought and enjoyed Deus Ex 1
> when it was first released. And Half-Life when it was first released
> ( but am not particularly interested in HL2 ). And Thief. And BF1942.
> And am looking forward to Far Cry. Maybe, I just like games which
> seem to take quantum leaps over the ever-present clutter of clones.
I also have Half-Life, and Thief II. Also downloaded the demo for Far
Cry. Haven't tried it yet,'cause I heard it has steep system reqs. Mine
may not be up to it, though. Recently, I splurged on the deal where you
buy Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, you get Splinter Cell for free.