PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye NVIDIA!!!

D.L.
February 16th 04, 04:38 PM
Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way, the
part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The ghosting
is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.

Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and drop
the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like this
has such poor output.

Courseyauto
February 16th 04, 05:52 PM
ATI deserves you..............

Mangyrat
February 16th 04, 06:13 PM
like what was said stay away from the SE cards either nvida or ati they are
not that great of a card for games but thatd dont explane why you had the
txt problem on high contrast areas.
and the ATI group will welcome you.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"D.L." > wrote in message
> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
> the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
the
> part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
> contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
ghosting
> is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
> It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
> Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> has such poor output.

J. Clarke
February 16th 04, 06:39 PM
D.L. wrote:

> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
> the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
> the part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
> high
> contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
> ghosting is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow
> its so bad.
> It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
> Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
> drop
> the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
> this has such poor output.

Just don't buy an off-brand ATI or you'll be back in the same boat.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

BelaLvgosi
February 16th 04, 07:12 PM
"Courseyauto" > wrote in message
> ATI deserves you..............

5900's need a powerfull processor to be fed, if that's your case. On a xt
test I've seen, it was compared the same card on a 1333tb and a barton 2500+
(wich ain't that leap of a processor), for what I remember, in [email protected] the
no AA's or aniso the difference was 85% more fps!!! On my tb1333 from a
ti4200 to a 5900 "se", as this model doesn't even exist, it's just a normal
5900 with cpu rated with the same 400mhz but only 700mhz mem instead of 850,
guess what, makes no difference. I gained 300 3dmarks, no big deal, wouldn't
even be worth the investment but should make some 6000 difference when my 64
parts arrive.

raj
February 16th 04, 07:31 PM
you should of known not to by a se, its not a gaming card!
hey dont put nvidia down jsut becuse you made a mistake and bought your self
a crappy card, read your details about your card then purchase it.
"D.L." > wrote in message
> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
> the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
the
> part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
> contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
ghosting
> is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
> It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
> Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> has such poor output.

John Lewis
February 16th 04, 07:39 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:28 -0600, "D.L." >
wrote:

>Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
>purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
>junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
>some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
>the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way, the
>part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
>contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The ghosting
>is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
>It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
>Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and drop
>the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like this
>has such poor output.

First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???

Second mistake --- you did no research. I bought a second 5900
a few weeks ago. BFG5900/128 --- genuine nonXT, SE, SP
5900, including VIVO, DVI with all adapters and the full version
of Call of Duty for $175 (including shipping ) from Newegg.
Overclocks nicely to 475/925 and could go higher but I have
decided to limit the worst-case max GPU core-temp to just
over 70 degrees C. First-class video output up to max
1600x1200.
By the way, the very same BFG5900 was on the Sat. thru Tuesday
sale at Fry's for $199 about 2 weeks ago. I posted that information to
this newsgroup. You were asleep at the wheel, no doubt ?

Third mistake --- you exposed yourself on this newsgroup as either
a fool or a Troll.

Fourth mistake -- you should enjoy the once every 2 weeks update
of the Ati drivers. Seems as if the users function as the Ati QC
personnel. Peruse the ATi newsgroup and (for example) survey the
items broken in 4.2 that apparently used to work in previous releases.
Non-trivial too... several matching complaints from different users
with regard to BF1942 crash problems, which vanished when the
previous driver was re-installed.
Of course, the problem here might not be the driver itself, but
a faulty ATi update mechanism in the 4.2 release which did not
remove vestiges of the older driver. In either case, extremely
sloppy QC.............

John Lewis

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Stanlin877
February 16th 04, 08:04 PM
Don't put Nvidia down? Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card? Why do u think
they made a crappy card? Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into buying
a crappy card?
"raj" > wrote in message
> you should of known not to by a se, its not a gaming card!
> hey dont put nvidia down jsut becuse you made a mistake and bought your
self
> a crappy card, read your details about your card then purchase it.
> "D.L." > wrote in message
> > Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> > purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> > junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> > some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
on,
> > the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
> the
> > part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
high
> > contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
> ghosting
> > is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
bad.
> > It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
> >
> > Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
> drop
> > the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
> this
> > has such poor output.

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Dave
February 16th 04, 08:24 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:04:20 -0600, Stanlin877 wrote:

> Don't put Nvidia down?

That's your choice.

> Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card?

Um... nope. Nvidia make the chipset.

> Why do u think they made a crappy card?

Why have cheap hardware? Why not make hardware at all one performance
level? Why not remove peoples choice?

> Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into buying a crappy card?

Why read reviews?

J. Clarke
February 16th 04, 10:42 PM
Stanlin877 wrote:

> Don't put Nvidia down?

Do what you want to.

> Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card?

Why do you think it says "Verto" on the box? Maybe because "Verto" made the
board?

> Why do u think
> they made a crappy card?

You'll have to ask Verto.

> Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into
> buying a crappy card?

Does Verto advertise a lot? I hadn't noticed.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

ginfest
February 16th 04, 11:47 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:28 -0600, "D.L." >
> wrote:
>
> >Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> >purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> >junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> >some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
on,
> >the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
the
> >part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
high
> >contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
ghosting
> >is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
bad.
> >It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
> >
> >Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> >the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> >has such poor output.
> >

> First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
> Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
> capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
> this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???
>
> Second mistake --- you did no research. I bought a second 5900
> a few weeks ago. BFG5900/128 --- genuine nonXT, SE, SP
> 5900, including VIVO, DVI with all adapters and the full version
> of Call of Duty for $175 (including shipping ) from Newegg.
> Overclocks nicely to 475/925 and could go higher but I have
> decided to limit the worst-case max GPU core-temp to just
> over 70 degrees C. First-class video output up to max
> 1600x1200.
> By the way, the very same BFG5900 was on the Sat. thru Tuesday
> sale at Fry's for $199 about 2 weeks ago. I posted that information to
> this newsgroup. You were asleep at the wheel, no doubt ?
>
> Third mistake --- you exposed yourself on this newsgroup as either
> a fool or a Troll.
>
> Fourth mistake -- you should enjoy the once every 2 weeks update
> of the Ati drivers. Seems as if the users function as the Ati QC
> personnel. Peruse the ATi newsgroup and (for example) survey the
> items broken in 4.2 that apparently used to work in previous releases.
> Non-trivial too... several matching complaints from different users
> with regard to BF1942 crash problems, which vanished when the
> previous driver was re-installed.
> Of course, the problem here might not be the driver itself, but
> a faulty ATi update mechanism in the 4.2 release which did not
> remove vestiges of the older driver. In either case, extremely
> sloppy QC.............
>
> John Lewis

Gotta agree with John, I have a BBATI 9800Pro and a BFG 5900nu, suffice it
to say that the 9800 has been relegated to my 2nd box. The card is fine
hardware-wise but I just had too many glitches in different games and didn't
want to mess with the drivers. The last straw was COD- when I had the 3.9s
installed which were needed to fix a bug in IL2:FB, had to go back to the
3.7s to get COD running and IL2:FB was messed up. Gave up after that, my
5900NU has been fine with all my games and no problems from the 52.16-56.55
set.
Mike G

---

Mr. Brian Allen
February 17th 04, 12:14 AM
> Gotta agree with John, I have a BBATI 9800Pro and a BFG 5900nu, suffice it
> to say that the 9800 has been relegated to my 2nd box. The card is fine
> hardware-wise but I just had too many glitches in different games and
didn't
> want to mess with the drivers. The last straw was COD- when I had the 3.9s
> installed which were needed to fix a bug in IL2:FB, had to go back to the
> 3.7s to get COD running and IL2:FB was messed up. Gave up after that, my
> 5900NU has been fine with all my games and no problems from the
52.16-56.55
> set.

Did you get the technicolor backgrounds in COD? A friend of mine has a
9800, and COD was unplayable on his setup because of that. He's sworn off
ATI now.

D.L.
February 17th 04, 01:29 AM
Excuse me, I've done considerable research on the card. If you've read the
reviews it is clear this card is just fine. The major differences in the SE
and the regular 5900 are:

390MHZ core clock instead 400MHZ
700MHZ memory clock instead of 850MHZ

On the plus side, the memory on the SE (actually, designated by Nvidia as
"XT") has lower latency than the full bore 5900 and 5950. 2.2ns for the SE
(XT) and 2.8ns for the higher end cards. The SE and full on 5900's are all
256 bit controllers.

If you read the reviews, it also shows this card is just a hair less than
the 5950 when it is overclocked...and the overclock isn't much of a stretch.

Either way, to say it isn't a game card is simply not true. However, had
you read my post, my problem with the card was not 3D performance...it was
crispness of text and high contrast areas. Text was almost not readable
because the ghosting was so bad.

No problem anymore though. I took the card back and got a Radeon 9800 Pro
for the same price. The crispness of the output on the Radeon is heads and
shoulders above any Nvidia card I've ever owned (and up to this point, I
have been a died in the wool Nvidia owner...ever since the GeForce hit the
market, I've owned at least one of nearly every version they have/had).

Now, just to be clear, I'm not here to start any Nvidia/ATI flame wars. I
simply asked a question and am now stating the facts as I know them from my
experiences, both in the past and right now. As it stands, I am very
pleased with the Radeon. If ATI continues with this trend, then I'll
probably buy from them until Nvidia totally blows them out of the water or
the quality of the ATI output goes to pot like my recent 5900 experience.

"raj" > wrote in message
> you should of known not to by a se, its not a gaming card!
> hey dont put nvidia down jsut becuse you made a mistake and bought your
self
> a crappy card, read your details about your card then purchase it.
> "D.L." > wrote in message
> > Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> > purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> > junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> > some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
on,
> > the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
> the
> > part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
high
> > contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
> ghosting
> > is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
bad.
> > It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
> >
> > Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
> drop
> > the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
> this
> > has such poor output.

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

D.L.
February 17th 04, 01:31 AM
Well, wasn't that prophetic?

Either way, ATI has me, thanks to a rockin Radeon 9800 Pro that has the best
output I've seen in many years. I really do hope Nvidia gets it together
though. I really liked their cards until recently.

"Courseyauto" > wrote in message
> ATI deserves you..............

Darthy
February 17th 04, 01:33 AM
wrote:

>Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
>purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
>junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
>some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
>the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way, the
>part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
>contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The ghosting
>is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
>It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.

You could have some other issues... drivers? Reinstall DX9... The
5900xt is easily faster than any GF4 card... but if your CPU is old
and slow (sub 2ghz or any Celeron) then you won't notice much
improvement.

>Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and drop
>the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like this
>has such poor output.

That would be stupid... The 9800XT is $500 - its not worth it! In
2-3 months, new $500 cards are hitting the market that will smoke it.

Besides, CompUSA is selling the 9800-PRO for $199 (After $30 mail in
rebate) - which is quite a bit faster than the 5900xt - but not much
slower than the 9800xt.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 17th 04, 01:36 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:14:23 -0500, "Mr. Brian Allen"
> wrote:

>> Gotta agree with John, I have a BBATI 9800Pro and a BFG 5900nu, suffice it
>> to say that the 9800 has been relegated to my 2nd box. The card is fine
>> hardware-wise but I just had too many glitches in different games and
>didn't
>> want to mess with the drivers. The last straw was COD- when I had the 3.9s
>> installed which were needed to fix a bug in IL2:FB, had to go back to the
>> 3.7s to get COD running and IL2:FB was messed up. Gave up after that, my
>> 5900NU has been fine with all my games and no problems from the
>52.16-56.55
>> set.
>
>Did you get the technicolor backgrounds in COD? A friend of mine has a
>9800, and COD was unplayable on his setup because of that. He's sworn off
>ATI now.

COD runs just fine on my 9800Pro... 3.10 drivers. I played it in
1600x1200... looked and played great.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

D.L.
February 17th 04, 01:44 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message

> First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
> Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
> capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
> this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???

Asleep? In what way? I've had PNY cards before with no probs. No
reason to suspect any now.

> Second mistake --- you did no research. I bought a second 5900
> a few weeks ago. BFG5900/128 --- genuine nonXT, SE, SP
> 5900, including VIVO, DVI with all adapters and the full version
> of Call of Duty for $175 (including shipping ) from Newegg.
> Overclocks nicely to 475/925 and could go higher but I have
> decided to limit the worst-case max GPU core-temp to just
> over 70 degrees C. First-class video output up to max
> 1600x1200.
> By the way, the very same BFG5900 was on the Sat. thru Tuesday
> sale at Fry's for $199 about 2 weeks ago. I posted that information to
> this newsgroup. You were asleep at the wheel, no doubt ?

Uh, excuse me, I did do research. I didn't mail order the card, no. I
could have gotten it cheaper..yes, but then add shipping and wait time. The
cards were onsale locally.

How much do you know about the SE (actually, Nvidia designated it as the
"XT")?

Lessee....

390MHZ core clock vs 400MHZ for the "regular 5900.
700MHZ memory clock vs 850MHZ for the "regular" 5900
same controller...256 bit
Memory latency on the SE is actually lower than that of the full on
cards....2.2ns for the SE cards vs 2.8ns for the regular 5900's.

A small overclock kicks the 5900SE performance into the full on 5900 and
5950 realm....and at less than half the price.

Oh, and I don't have Fry's anywhere around here. Asleep? Nope, just not
into reading the typical testosterone BS that most of you punks put out here
in your myopic view of hardware. I bet you're a "chevy" man too aren't you?
LOL!

> Third mistake --- you exposed yourself on this newsgroup as either
> a fool or a Troll.

Indeed? I suggest you take your own words to heart punk.

> Fourth mistake -- you should enjoy the once every 2 weeks update
> of the Ati drivers. Seems as if the users function as the Ati QC
> personnel. Peruse the ATi newsgroup and (for example) survey the
> items broken in 4.2 that apparently used to work in previous releases.
> Non-trivial too... several matching complaints from different users
> with regard to BF1942 crash problems, which vanished when the
> previous driver was re-installed.
> Of course, the problem here might not be the driver itself, but
> a faulty ATi update mechanism in the 4.2 release which did not
> remove vestiges of the older driver. In either case, extremely
> sloppy QC.............

Well, my new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is playing all my games just fine. No
glitches, no crashes. And if you are typical of the "Nvidia" crowd, all I
can say is good riddence...this ATI kicks ass and the output is better than
I've ever seen on any Nvidia card I've ever owned (which means at least one
of nearly every version of the cards they've made since inception...except
the full 5900 or 5950).

Enjoy your small, ego-centric world pal.....

D.L.
February 17th 04, 02:34 AM
"Darthy" > wrote in message

> You could have some other issues... drivers? Reinstall DX9... The
> 5900xt is easily faster than any GF4 card... but if your CPU is old
> and slow (sub 2ghz or any Celeron) then you won't notice much
> improvement.

Running an Xp 2800+, 1.25GB memory, pair of 40 GB hard drives in RAID 0,
Dragon Ultra mobo.
Did all that, but my issue was not 3D performance...the problem was
horribly ghosted text and/or anyhting that had high contrast. Of note, my
FX5600 and 5700 Ultra do the same thing (and no, they are not PNY cards). I
had just figured that was the price to pay for good 3D performance. I know
better now thanks to the Radeon.

> >Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> >the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> >has such poor output.
>
> That would be stupid... The 9800XT is $500 - its not worth it! In
> 2-3 months, new $500 cards are hitting the market that will smoke it.
>
> Besides, CompUSA is selling the 9800-PRO for $199 (After $30 mail in
> rebate) - which is quite a bit faster than the 5900xt - but not much
> slower than the 9800xt.

That's what I did. Got the 9800 Pro for $229 with the $30 mail in rebate.
Like it a lot. Text is super crisp and clean and the 3D performance is
right on par with what I expected.

Either way, I will go over to the ATI group now since I am "persona non
grata" here now...at least you'd think so by the posts from the punks in the
other posts. Sheesh.

Mangyrat
February 17th 04, 05:43 AM
What is your problem?
where did you see me bashing Nvidia cards? here let me cut and past it for
you.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:13:37 -0500, "Mangyrat" > wrote:

>like what was said stay away from the SE cards either nvida or ati they are
>not that great of a card for games but that dont explane why you had the
>txt problem on high contrast areas.
>and the ATI group will welcome you.

******** go read the reviews, noting at all wrong with the, so **** off you
ATI Idiot.

un like you i run both ati and nvidia cards and both have good points and
bad points.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"william bell" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:28 -0600, "D.L." > wrote:
>
> >Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> >purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> >junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> >some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
on,
> >the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
the
> >part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
high
> >contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
ghosting
> >is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
bad.
> >It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
> >
> >Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> >the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> >has such poor output.

> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
>

> But then you bought a Crap brand my FX5900XT is fantastic, Plus Nvidia
drivers
> are some 500% better than ATI..
>
> So to me you have moved from good to utter Crap..

Node
February 17th 04, 06:25 AM
PNY had ****load of bad desigend GF4-cards, so it shouldnt be surprise, if
They still have some problems.
But much serious issue is with Ati-cards, You can browse thru several forums
and read about Radeons and problems with <add game here>. Ok not big deal,
becouse there is users having the same card and game and They report 0
problems. So what is going on?
Is it just that some user just cant install card/drivers/patches or are We
talking about some incompabilities between Radeons and motherboards?

=Node= (eagarly waiting My Pny back from RMA)

Mike
February 17th 04, 09:22 AM
I have that same card and haven't had a problem with it at all. It is
incredibly fast. What kind of computer are you running it on? If your CPU
can't keep up with your GPU, then you'll of course suffer. I turn AA and AF
both up to 8x and resolution at 1024x768x32 and can play ANY game with
flawless graphics and speed. Maybe you got a defective card? Maybe your
system just sucks? Don't try to persuade others from buying Nvidia just
because you didn't get the results you wanted.

--
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R

Try to beat that with the latest Intel crap!
"D.L." > wrote in message
> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
> the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
the
> part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on high
> contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
ghosting
> is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad.
> It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
> Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
drop
> the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
this
> has such poor output.

Aki Peltola
February 17th 04, 09:59 AM
"Stanlin877" > wrote
> Don't put Nvidia down? Didn't Nvidia make the crappy card? Why do u think
> they made a crappy card? Why all the advertisment to lure buyers into
buying
> a crappy card?

Where do these lamers come from... No, Nvidia didn't make
the crappy card. See, "Verto FX 5900SE" and Verto is the
card manufacturer... Here! *with stick points at "Verto" and
ends the lesson*

Aki Peltola
February 17th 04, 09:59 AM
"D.L." > wrote
> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them on,
> the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless.

Well, perhaps Nvidia is the one to blaim what comes to
GPU-performance...

> Either way, the part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of
ghosting
> I get on high contrast areas...like the black text on white background
here.
> The ghosting is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down
shadow
> its so bad. It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.

.... But the output quality of the card is usually depended of
the card manufacturer, which is in this case, Verto.
Quite funny to put this on Nvidia's.

Nada
February 17th 04, 12:01 PM
"D.L." > wrote:
> "John Lewis" > wrote:
> >
> > First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
> > Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
> > capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
> > this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???
>
> Asleep? In what way? I've had PNY cards before with no probs. No
> reason to suspect any now.
>

> > Second mistake --- you did no research. I bought a second 5900
> > a few weeks ago. BFG5900/128 --- genuine nonXT, SE, SP
> > 5900, including VIVO, DVI with all adapters and the full version
> > of Call of Duty for $175 (including shipping ) from Newegg.
> > Overclocks nicely to 475/925 and could go higher but I have
> > decided to limit the worst-case max GPU core-temp to just
> > over 70 degrees C. First-class video output up to max
> > 1600x1200.
> > By the way, the very same BFG5900 was on the Sat. thru Tuesday
> > sale at Fry's for $199 about 2 weeks ago. I posted that information to
> > this newsgroup. You were asleep at the wheel, no doubt ?
>
> Uh, excuse me, I did do research. I didn't mail order the card, no. I
> could have gotten it cheaper..yes, but then add shipping and wait time. The
> cards were onsale locally.
>
> How much do you know about the SE (actually, Nvidia designated it as the
> "XT")?
>
> Lessee....
>
> 390MHZ core clock vs 400MHZ for the "regular 5900.
> 700MHZ memory clock vs 850MHZ for the "regular" 5900
> same controller...256 bit
> Memory latency on the SE is actually lower than that of the full on
> cards....2.2ns for the SE cards vs 2.8ns for the regular 5900's.
>
> A small overclock kicks the 5900SE performance into the full on 5900 and
> 5950 realm....and at less than half the price.
>
> Oh, and I don't have Fry's anywhere around here. Asleep? Nope, just not
> into reading the typical testosterone BS that most of you punks put out here
> in your myopic view of hardware. I bet you're a "chevy" man too aren't you?
> LOL!

I think when you enter at Fry's, the first thing they ask you is that
if you want any fries and mayonese with your white bulk box.

> > Third mistake --- you exposed yourself on this newsgroup as either
> > a fool or a Troll.
>
> Indeed? I suggest you take your own words to heart punk.

Welcome to the objective world of graphics cards.

> > Fourth mistake -- you should enjoy the once every 2 weeks update
> > of the Ati drivers. Seems as if the users function as the Ati QC
> > personnel. Peruse the ATi newsgroup and (for example) survey the
> > items broken in 4.2 that apparently used to work in previous releases.
> > Non-trivial too... several matching complaints from different users
> > with regard to BF1942 crash problems, which vanished when the
> > previous driver was re-installed.
> > Of course, the problem here might not be the driver itself, but
> > a faulty ATi update mechanism in the 4.2 release which did not
> > remove vestiges of the older driver. In either case, extremely
> > sloppy QC.............
>
> Well, my new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is playing all my games just fine. No
> glitches, no crashes. And if you are typical of the "Nvidia" crowd, all I
> can say is good riddence...this ATI kicks ass and the output is better than
> I've ever seen on any Nvidia card I've ever owned (which means at least one
> of nearly every version of the cards they've made since inception...except
> the full 5900 or 5950).

If one game out of ten games don't work with any drivers from Nvidia
or Ati, it's hardly a fundamental loss. I've had problems with both
sides of the fence for the last three years, but it never sees to
amaze me in which length the drivers from Ati are bashed just because
Tomb Raider's nipple didn't flash in the right light like Janet
Jackson at Super Bowl.

Nada
February 17th 04, 12:04 PM
"D.L." > wrote:
> That's what I did. Got the 9800 Pro for $229 with the $30 mail in rebate.
> Like it a lot. Text is super crisp and clean and the 3D performance is
> right on par with what I expected.
>
> Either way, I will go over to the ATI group now since I am "persona non
> grata" here now...at least you'd think so by the posts from the punks in the
> other posts. Sheesh.

Don't leave me here alone, man. It's just me and the lonely Kyro guy now.

Granulated
February 17th 04, 01:36 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:39:16 GMT (John Lewis) meeped :

>First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
>Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
>capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
>this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???

my 5900ultra's a PNY...it seems excellent and also has a very quiet fan.
should I be crossing my fingers or shall I Ebay it pronto ?!!

Mike
February 17th 04, 03:23 PM
I've been using PNY cards for years and have never had any problem with
them.

--

:

> >First mistake ---- you bought a PNY card (of any type). Cheesy vendor.
> >Hopeless RMA service, takes months. Poor quality parts, especially
> >capacitors. PNY lack of quality and support reported a nauseum on
> >this newsgroup for the past few months. Been asleep ???
>

> my 5900ultra's a PNY...it seems excellent and also has a very quiet fan.
> should I be crossing my fingers or shall I Ebay it pronto ?!!

D.L.
February 18th 04, 02:12 AM
Maybe you shoud go back and read my post. My main gripe wasn't with 3D
performance (although it wasn't what I expected it to be), my primary gripe
was with ghosting of text and other high contrast graphics. Text was
ghosted so bad it was like each letter had its own drop down shadow.

Sadly, my FX5600 and 5700 Ultra had the same problem (different manufacture
of cards too). Although the ghosting wasn't as bad on those, it was quite
noticeable. A long time ago, I had the same problem with a GeForce 2 Pro
(although this one was fixable to some degree).

"Mike" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have that same card and haven't had a problem with it at all. It is
> incredibly fast. What kind of computer are you running it on? If your CPU
> can't keep up with your GPU, then you'll of course suffer. I turn AA and
AF
> both up to 8x and resolution at 1024x768x32 and can play ANY game with
> flawless graphics and speed. Maybe you got a defective card? Maybe your
> system just sucks? Don't try to persuade others from buying Nvidia just
> because you didn't get the results you wanted.
>
> --
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> MSI K8T NEO FIS2R
> Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO matched pair
> PNY Verto GeForce FX 5900 SE
> Maxtor 160GB SATA 7200 8MB
> Emprex DVD Dual 8x DVDRW
> LG 16x DVD
> Antec TruePower PSU 350W
> Windows XP Home
> Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Optical mouse
> Total Cost: $1556.94, All bought at Fry's Electronics
> at retail costs. Would have been cheaper if bought online.
>
> Try to beat that with the latest Intel crap!
> "D.L." > wrote in message
> > Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday. I
> > purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a hunk of
> > junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
> > some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
on,
> > the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
> the
> > part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
high
> > contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
> ghosting
> > is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
bad.
> > It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
> >
> > Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
> drop
> > the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like
> this
> > has such poor output.

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

???
February 18th 04, 04:52 AM
Are you sure it was not a monitor issue?? my Likom monitor does alot
of ghosting at high contrast settings..

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:12:35 -0600, "D.L." >
wrote:

> [...]
>> > junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200. Yeah, it has
>> > some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if you turn them
>on,
>> > the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are useless. Either way,
>> the
>> > part that really makes me mad is the huge amount of ghosting I get on
>high
>> > contrast areas...like the black text on white background here. The
>> ghosting
>> > is horrid...it's like each letter has its own drop down shadow its so
>bad.
>> > It's almost unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>> >
>> > Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet and
>> drop
>> > the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level card like

February 18th 04, 09:32 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:34:32 -0600, "D.L." >
wrote:

>"Darthy" > wrote in message
>>
>> You could have some other issues... drivers? Reinstall DX9... The
>> 5900xt is easily faster than any GF4 card... but if your CPU is old
>> and slow (sub 2ghz or any Celeron) then you won't notice much
>> improvement.
>
>Running an Xp 2800+, 1.25GB memory, pair of 40 GB hard drives in RAID 0,
>Dragon Ultra mobo.

okay... you got the horse power.... (but I hate SOYO boards , bad
experince) heheh...

> Did all that, but my issue was not 3D performance...the problem was
>horribly ghosted text and/or anyhting that had high contrast. Of note, my
>FX5600 and 5700 Ultra do the same thing (and no, they are not PNY cards). I
>had just figured that was the price to pay for good 3D performance. I know
>better now thanks to the Radeon.

Strange problem indeed... some odd ball issue you were having. I have
a 5200 and 5900 in my "office", not my own computers... the output is
perfect on them... I don't recall much difference... and yes, 3D
Output is nicer on my ATI9800Pro over the Ti4200...

But the MSI 5900 looked very good too.

>> Besides, CompUSA is selling the 9800-PRO for $199 (After $30 mail in
>> rebate) - which is quite a bit faster than the 5900xt - but not much
>> slower than the 9800xt.
>
> That's what I did. Got the 9800 Pro for $229 with the $30 mail in rebate.
>Like it a lot. Text is super crisp and clean and the 3D performance is
>right on par with what I expected.

Alright! Glad you saw that and got the deal, bet you're on cloud 9
for that... considering the 9800Pro was a $400 card 4 months ago!!

Its a sign of a replacement card... there is ALWAYS a $400 card on the
market...

>Either way, I will go over to the ATI group now since I am "persona non
>grata" here now...at least you'd think so by the posts from the punks in the
>other posts. Sheesh.

I have: 9800Pro / Ti4200 - for test hardware - 5200PCI (Gainward crap)
/ MSI 5900 and an ATI9000Pro (Even have a voodoo3)

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 18th 04, 09:34 AM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:26:37 +1300, william bell
> wrote:

>But then you bought a Crap brand my FX5900XT is fantastic, Plus Nvidia drivers
>are some 500% better than ATI..
>
>So to me you have moved from good to utter Crap..

500% better? What is your source?

ATI users or Nvidia users? I OWN BOTH... and ATI has gotten A LOT
BETTER, I have no issues with mine.... and Nvidia has gone down
hill... Both are pretty much the same level of problems. I've had
more problems with Nvidia drivers after 30.82 which is quite old.

You can't blame OLD NEWS from 2 years ago for your argument...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 18th 04, 09:37 AM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:52:06 +1300, ??? > wrote:

>Are you sure it was not a monitor issue?? my Likom monitor does alot
>of ghosting at high contrast settings..

Not a monitor issue if a different card resolves the problem...

I think its more of a SOYO mobo causing it... but hes working good
now.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Don Burnette
February 19th 04, 06:34 AM
D.L. wrote:
> Well, had my last bad experience with a crappy NVIDIA card yesterday.
> I purchased a Verto FX 5900SE on sale at Compusa for $199. What a
> hunk of junk. Performance is slightly better than my old TI-4200.
> Yeah, it has some cool new features that the 4200 didn't have, but if
> you turn them on, the frame rates go to crap, so in effect, they are
> useless. Either way, the part that really makes me mad is the huge
> amount of ghosting I get on high contrast areas...like the black text
> on white background here. The ghosting is horrid...it's like each
> letter has its own drop down shadow its so bad. It's almost
> unreadable. The old 4200 was clean and sharp.
>
> Taking this thing back to Compusa, and just gonna bite the bullet
> and drop the cash on a Radeon 9800XT. I can't believe an upper level
> card like this has such poor output.

You will love that 9800 XT, best card going today imho.

--
Don Burnette

Darthy
February 20th 04, 11:57 AM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:34:15 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:

>>You will love that 9800 XT, best card going today imho.

Only a fool would blow $500 on such a card...

The new R420/NV40 cards are coming out in 60~90 days, they will sell
for $400~500 and be twice as fast.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

D.L.
February 21st 04, 06:18 PM
Nope, not a monitor issue...at least not in and of itself.

Would argue with the mobo issue as well. My 5600 and 5700 ultra did the
same thing on an asus mobo and the 5600 did it also on an MSI mobo prior to
the asus.

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:52:06 +1300, ??? > wrote:
>
> >Are you sure it was not a monitor issue?? my Likom monitor does alot
> >of ghosting at high contrast settings..
>
> Not a monitor issue if a different card resolves the problem...
>
> I think its more of a SOYO mobo causing it... but hes working good
> now.
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

D.L.
February 21st 04, 06:20 PM
My mistake, I meant 9800Pro. The one Compusa had on sale for $199. I'm
not gonna blow more than twic the money on what amounts to the same GPU
clocked up a bit...even if it has twice the memory.

Anyay, got the 9800Pro now and it has been flawless since install.

">