PDA

View Full Version : 5600 vs 5600 ultra

Steve
February 14th 04, 02:32 AM
I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Steve

Darthy
February 14th 04, 05:50 AM
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:32:01 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:

>I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
>besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
>with 256MB of RAM.
>THX in advance.

Should ask before ya buy...

256mb 5600 is no faster than 128mb version... a little slower than
5600Ultra.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

BTW, try out the UT2004 demo at www.unreal.com - clickon UT2003 -
click on big UT2004 DEMO graphic - includes 5 maps... from the
console in the game (press ~ key) type in STAT FPS to see your
performance.

Report back... if ya want ;)

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Steve
February 14th 04, 07:20 AM
What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:32:01 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:
>
> >I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600
ultra
> >besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the
5600
> >with 256MB of RAM.
> >THX in advance.
>
> Should ask before ya buy...
>
> 256mb 5600 is no faster than 128mb version... a little slower than
> 5600Ultra.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

> BTW, try out the UT2004 demo at www.unreal.com - clickon UT2003 -
> click on big UT2004 DEMO graphic - includes 5 maps... from the
> console in the game (press ~ key) type in STAT FPS to see your
> performance.
>
> Report back... if ya want ;)
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 14th 04, 11:16 AM
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:20:25 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:

>What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
>I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
>card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

Perhaps...

Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?

Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Steve
February 14th 04, 12:33 PM
Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
preference.

Steve

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:20:25 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:
>
> >What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's
speed?
> >I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
> >card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.
>
> Perhaps...
>
> Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?
>
> Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Xeon
February 14th 04, 02:34 PM
See,
This is when it helps to have the knowledge<SP> to build your own system...
I myself would NEVER buy a system from ANY major manufacturer... as things
get to proprietary, and fixed. It is so much easier to just build your own,
that way you get the mobo you want, the memory you want the video you want,
and the drives....... granted waranty chasing is a hastle if you have a
problem, but if you go with good stuff..... you shouldn't need the warranty
and it should go out dated b4 the warranty expires :) just my humble
opinion......
And, if ya dont have the confidence to build your own... give me a call ;)
I'll do it for ya!!!!!

{SFU}xeon

"Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
> Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
> but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a
new
> computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
> trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally
with
> the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot
of
> people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
> preference.
>
> Steve
>
> "Darthy" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:20:25 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:
> >
> > >What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's
> speed?
> > >I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock
5200
> > >card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.
> >
> > Perhaps...
> >
> > Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?
> >
> > Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.
> >

> > --
> > Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> > When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
> >
> > Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Steve
February 14th 04, 03:41 PM
Xeon,

It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
I was going to do that but
buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components aren't
readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

"Xeon" > wrote in message
> See,
> This is when it helps to have the knowledge<SP> to build your own
system...
> I myself would NEVER buy a system from ANY major manufacturer... as things
> get to proprietary, and fixed. It is so much easier to just build your
own,
> that way you get the mobo you want, the memory you want the video you
want,
> and the drives....... granted waranty chasing is a hastle if you have a
> problem, but if you go with good stuff..... you shouldn't need the
warranty
> and it should go out dated b4 the warranty expires :) just my humble
> opinion......
> And, if ya dont have the confidence to build your own... give me a call ;)
> I'll do it for ya!!!!!
>
> {SFU}xeon
>
> "Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
> > Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new
system,
> > but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a
> new
> > computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and
> > trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally
> with
> > the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know
alot
> of
> > people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
> > preference.
> >
> > Steve

> > speed?
> 5200
> > >
> > > Perhaps...
> > >
> > > Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?
> > >
> > > Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> > > When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
> > >
> > > Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Mark A
February 14th 04, 04:42 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
> Xeon,
>
> It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
> I was going to do that but
> buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
> have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components
aren't
> readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

Try www.newegg.com

However, I think that Dell makes very good (and very quiet computers) for
the money.

Gordieee
February 14th 04, 06:27 PM
Aye, if you know what you're doing! Also, it doesn't work out much cheaper
than the major brands now-a-days as they can afford now to drop their
prices, as the competition in the p.c market has widened an extreme amount
in the last year alone

"Xeon" > wrote in message
> It is so much easier to just build your ow

Gordieee
February 14th 04, 06:27 PM
I squish yoO tooO! TOO!!

"Mark A" > wrote in message
> I squish yoO gordie!

llamaboiz
February 14th 04, 10:55 PM
Ok, never read most of the posts cuz the word, Dell, stopped me... Dude,
dont get a Dell or any other teir1 company rig... just go to some boutique
get a price quote on a custom, take that to compusa and have them beat the
price. Only companys to get pre-fab rigs are Voodoo/Falcon
North-West/OCSystems thats it... didnt forget, dont even get Alienware,
build your own thats faster/cheeper/a real case *with real vents*...

Doh, anywayz you should've thought about the 5700Ultra DDRII VIVO... oh
well..

"Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
> I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600
ultra
> besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
> with 256MB of RAM.
> THX in advance.
>
> Steve

DaveW
February 15th 04, 01:31 AM
You stated the differences fully.

--
DaveW

"Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
> I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600
ultra
> besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
> with 256MB of RAM.
> THX in advance.
>
> Steve

Darthy
February 16th 04, 11:49 AM
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:33:57 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:

>Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
>but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
>computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
>trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
>the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
>people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
>preference.

Dell doesn't actually build their computers anymore - for years its
some Chinese company who designed and builds them to Dells price
points. Nothing more. Didya know that Dell and Gateway notebooks
get farted out of the same Chinese factory ;)

The 9800xt is not worth it... the 9800Pro is almost $200 now... as are
the 5900s.

So... you could save some money, buy an AMD setup from a good company
such as Alienware, northwest, and a few OTHER gamer companies and get
the video card... and THEY sell AMD setups, knocks off about $150 off
the price for the upper end.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Steve
February 16th 04, 02:18 PM
Okay after reading all these helpful posts, I called Dell and told them to
put an ATI Radeon 9800XT video card in my new system. After reading reviews
on both the 9800XT and the Geforce FX 5950 ultra, I feel this will be in my
best interest. THX to all who responded!

Steve

"Steve" > wrote in message news:[email protected]_s51...
> I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600
ultra
> besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
> with 256MB of RAM.
> THX in advance.
>
> Steve

Gnu
February 16th 04, 03:55 PM
Steve wrote:

> It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
> I was going to do that but
> buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
> have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components aren't
> readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

It won't cost you any more if you buy OEM, especially when you're
getting exactly what you want. Very few of us actually need fancy
retail packaging and filler, and you'd be amazed at how much you save in
the process.

Don't be afraid of buying online. I sure as heck trust most of the
places I deal with online a heck of a lot more than I do most
brick-and-mortar retailers. Just do plenty of research, and use common
sense.

Darthy
February 17th 04, 01:38 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:18:41 GMT, "Steve" > wrote:

>Okay after reading all these helpful posts, I called Dell and told them to
>put an ATI Radeon 9800XT video card in my new system. After reading reviews
>on both the 9800XT and the Geforce FX 5950 ultra, I feel this will be in my
>best interest. THX to all who responded!
>
>Steve

I'd have canceled the order and looked elseware for a computer -
perhaps even Alienware - and then stick in a 9800Pro - save $300.