PDA

View Full Version : Flickering/stuttering image every second/frame??

Michel
February 13th 04, 01:22 PM
Greetings!

When I watch a movie from my DVD player or from a downloaded film
playing off the HD, there is a "flicker", a "stutter" (???..) every
second, as if a frame was missing. I had this problem about a year ago
and managed to find a cure, which I have now totally forgotten. How did
I do it then????
Does this ring a bell with any of you?
K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.

Thanks for any insight! :-)

Michel

Michel
February 13th 04, 06:44 PM
shawn wrote:
> Michel > wrote:
>

>>Greetings!
>>
>>When I watch a movie from my DVD player or from a downloaded film
>>playing off the HD, there is a "flicker", a "stutter" (???..) every
>>second, as if a frame was missing. I had this problem about a year ago
>>and managed to find a cure, which I have now totally forgotten. How did
>>I do it then????
>>Does this ring a bell with any of you?
>>K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
>>512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
>>I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.
>>
>>Thanks for any insight! :-)
>

> Did you happen to install the RC1 version of Xvid recently? If so then
> there are a couple of things you can do. Turn off overlay mode in your
> player (if using it), upgrade to Release Candidate 2 of Xvid, and turn
> off generic MPEg-4 playback in the DiVX configuration screen.

I had not installed Xvid, but now I have the RC2 as you recommended.
No effect.
I'm not entirely sure what Xvid does. I play DVDs with my Sony player
using PowerDVD 4.
AVIs/MPGs (downloaded) are played with WMP 9 (or 7.1).
I even tried playing them through Winamp 2.95 as well, to no effect: the
image still "jumps" one frame every second (it looks that way, I can't
describe it any better!) regardless of source or player!
After posting the original message, I went out and bought a nVidia
GeForce FX 5200 (before reading many of the negative comments here,
unfortunately!!). It installed fine, driver is 5.2.1.6
I have tried downloading 5.3.0.3, but can't connect right now.
The problem remains unchanged!!!!! :-(

Thanks for helping, Shawn! Any new suggestions? :-)

DaveW
February 14th 04, 01:18 AM
Try using the 45.23 driver and see if that doesn't fix it.

--
DaveW

"Michel" > wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> When I watch a movie from my DVD player or from a downloaded film
> playing off the HD, there is a "flicker", a "stutter" (???..) every
> second, as if a frame was missing. I had this problem about a year ago
> and managed to find a cure, which I have now totally forgotten. How did
> I do it then????
> Does this ring a bell with any of you?
> K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
> 512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
> I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.
>
> Thanks for any insight! :-)
>
> Michel

Michel
February 14th 04, 10:52 AM
DaveW wrote:
> Try using the 45.23 driver and see if that doesn't fix it.

Well, the plot thickens (or lightens up depending on how you want to
look at this!).
After uninstalling 5.2.1.6 and cleaning out further remnants with
DriverCleaner, I installed 45.23 as you suggested.
The result: nice and smooth glitch-free playing of DVDs on the Sony
DDU1621 (yeah!!!!!), but NO improvement when playing AVI/MPGs from the
HDD. Jumps, glitches and "stutters" once every second as before! :-(
I also uninstalled a few things (iomegaware, iconoid, winfax,...) and
reverted to Media Player 6.4 just to see and try to do something!!
Whether 45.23, or the uninstalling, or a combination of both helped with
the DVD half of the problem, I don't know!
Now what should I do about playing AVI/MPGs from the HDD??
Thanks!! :-)

Michel

~misfit~
February 14th 04, 12:46 PM
Michel wrote:
> DaveW wrote:
>> Try using the 45.23 driver and see if that doesn't fix it.
>>
> Well, the plot thickens (or lightens up depending on how you want to
> look at this!).
> After uninstalling 5.2.1.6 and cleaning out further remnants with
> DriverCleaner, I installed 45.23 as you suggested.
> The result: nice and smooth glitch-free playing of DVDs on the Sony
> DDU1621 (yeah!!!!!), but NO improvement when playing AVI/MPGs from the
> HDD. Jumps, glitches and "stutters" once every second as before! :-(
> I also uninstalled a few things (iomegaware, iconoid, winfax,...) and
> reverted to Media Player 6.4 just to see and try to do something!!
> Whether 45.23, or the uninstalling, or a combination of both helped
> with the DVD half of the problem, I don't know!
> Now what should I do about playing AVI/MPGs from the HDD??
> Thanks!! :-)

Check that your HDD isn't running in PIO mode?
--
~misfit~

Michel
February 14th 04, 12:55 PM
~misfit~ wrote:
> Michel wrote:
>

>>Now what should I do about playing AVI/MPGs from the HDD??
>>Thanks!! :-)
>

> Check that your HDD isn't running in PIO mode?
> --
> ~misfit~

Thanks for the suggestion. :-)
Now, pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that on Win2K, sp4... ?? :-|

Michel

Michel
February 14th 04, 01:16 PM
Michel wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Michel wrote:
>>

>>> Now what should I do about playing AVI/MPGs from the HDD??
>>> Thanks!! :-)
>>

>> Check that your HDD isn't running in PIO mode?
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion. :-)
> Now, pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that on Win2K, sp4... ?? :-|
>
> Michel

OK, I figured it out: all HDDs in Ultra DMA mode. No PIO.
DVDs play fine without a glitch.
AVI/MPGs played from any HDD "jump" and "stutter" ever second still!!!
AAArrgghh!!!

Michel

Captain EO
February 14th 04, 01:43 PM
Why are using PowerDVD that software decoder, and WinDVD are both garbage
decoders. You're video card is a bit old too. For just a little bit of money
you can upgrade to the GeForce 4MX card line, and experience better DVD
playback because those cards have DVD decoding built into their hardware.
But if you're not look for an upgrade you can always try Sonic's DVD
Decoder, also bundled with the Sonic CinePlayer. That's the best software
DVD decoder available using less CPU processing, and performing better than
any other software decoder and even some hardware decoders.

Michel
February 14th 04, 03:04 PM
Captain EO wrote:
> Why are using PowerDVD that software decoder, and WinDVD are both garbage
> decoders. You're video card is a bit old too. For just a little bit of money
> you can upgrade to the GeForce 4MX card line, and experience better DVD
> playback because those cards have DVD decoding built into their hardware.

Well, guess what? I upgraded to a FX5200 (unfortunately before reading
all the bad opinions about that card in this NG!), and whether or not
it's what I needed, DVDs now play fine on my system. :-)
What glitches, skips and stutters still are AVI/MPGs played straight
from HDD! :-(

> But if you're not look for an upgrade you can always try Sonic's DVD
> Decoder, also bundled with the Sonic CinePlayer. That's the best software
> DVD decoder available using less CPU processing, and performing better than
> any other software decoder and even some hardware decoders.

I'll check it out, thanks for the info!

Michel

ChicagoDave
February 14th 04, 04:34 PM
"K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.

Thanks for any insight! :-)

Michel"

**********

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a monitor refresh rate of only 60hz a little
low?
I have to keep mine at 100 or it looks like ****.
Just curious.

ChicagoDave

Michel
February 14th 04, 06:38 PM
ChicagoDave wrote:
> "K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
> 512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
> I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.
>
> Thanks for any insight! :-)
>
> Michel"
>
> ************************************************** **************************
> **********
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a monitor refresh rate of only 60hz a little
> low?
> I have to keep mine at 100 or it looks like ****.
> Just curious.
>
> ChicagoDave

Well, I had it at 85hz for a while until I realized that the high-pitch
whine I was hearing was not coming from next door but from the sreen. So
I asked around and was told 60hz was good. So it was. Yet, I have it up
to 75hz now. Looks fine so far, no whine... ;-)
It's a "Futura"!!! I bet not many of you know that brand!!!! :-) ;-)

~misfit~
February 15th 04, 02:26 AM
Michel wrote:
> ChicagoDave wrote:
>> "K7S5A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 (driver 5.2.1.6), Athlon XP2100,
>> 512Megs Ram, Win2K sp4, monitor refresh 60hz
>> I make a point of updating the whole system regularly.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight! :-)
>>
>> Michel"

>> **********
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a monitor refresh rate of only 60hz a
>> little low?
>> I have to keep mine at 100 or it looks like ****.
>> Just curious.
>>
>> ChicagoDave
>>

> Well, I had it at 85hz for a while until I realized that the
> high-pitch whine I was hearing was not coming from next door but from
> the sreen. So I asked around and was told 60hz was good. So it was.
> Yet, I have it up to 75hz now. Looks fine so far, no whine... ;-)
> It's a "Futura"!!! I bet not many of you know that brand!!!! :-) ;-)

Never heard of it. 75MHz is good, far better than 60MHz which will give you
headaches if you look at it for long. I've known monitors to 'scream' a bit
at higher refresh rates, it pays to turn them down a bit if they do that!
--
~misfit~