PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE of Asylum-BFG Technology GeForce FX 5200 Video Adapters

ML
February 12th 04, 11:14 PM
Subject: The pathetic, Asylum - BFG Technologies, GeForce FX 5200 video
adapter Model #ASLM 52128

I am writing this article to warn prospective video adapter buyers about the
terrible experience I have had with the Asylum, by BFG Technologies, GeForce
FX 5200 video adapter I purchased in 2003, marketed through Wal-Mart stores.

This card retails for $98 in my locale. The board worked marvelously for
the first few months after I purchased it brand new in retail packaging. One
day the board strarted dropping the video signal intermittently. This went
on for one week in a workstation with an MSI MoBo before I pulled the Asylum
card out and tried it in another workstation. The Asylum card acted the
same way on the other workstation with an ASUS MoBo. During this service
incident I used an old VisionTek GeForce 2 MX400 board to keep the
workstation up and running.

I contacted BFG Technology and they graciously agreed to ship me a
replacement board, which I received 6 days latter. The replacement board I
received did have a different serial number than the one I sent them.

As part of a previously planned series of system upgrades, the motherboard
and power supplies in both of the same workstations were changed out with
shiney new MSI MoBos and 400W power supplies. The replacement Asylum card
was installed in one of the upgraded workstations and exhibited the exact
same intermittent video signal drop out as the original card had exhibited.

I have reason to believe that I am not the only Asylum-BFG Technology
customer that has had this video signal drop out problem with this video
adapter. And as has become the custom of manufacturers which sell their
wares to a trusting American public, I believe BFG Technology is shipping
out the defective boards that they have had their customers ship back to
them for warranty replacement service, in such a way that customers do not
receive the exact same board that they sent in, just the same model of video
adapter. GONE are the days when companys honored their "lifetime"
warranties and shipped back to the customer a brand, spanking, new product
which has had all the bugs hammered out of it.

I have been doing this kind of IT support function since 1984 and never
before purchased a video adapter which caused me problems, until I chose to
purchase a video adapter manufactured ny BFG Technologies. This is a
pathetic example of a video adapter with a "lifetime" warranty. I have had
better results with generic no name boards which came with no warramty
whatsoever.

I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.

I would love to hear comments from other members of the group concerning
experiences with Asylum-BFG Technologies. Please post your responses here
for the benefit of the group.

Kai Robinson
February 12th 04, 11:21 PM
BFG are an excellent manufacturer of cards from all accounts i hear of - and
to be fair - they did ship you a replacement card pdq, if the card is
faulty - send it back again. no point in complaining about how **** a
manufacturer is after one bad experience. It could be that the cards are
part of a bad batch - and as BFG only make the boards not the GPU's and
ram - its not really their fault if something like that happens. Its usually
down to faulty components - not the pcb, the box, the brand name etc.

Kai

"ML" > wrote in message
> [...]
video
> adapter. GONE are the days when companys honored their "lifetime"
> warranties and shipped back to the customer a brand, spanking, new product
> which has had all the bugs hammered out of it.
>
> I have been doing this kind of IT support function since 1984 and never
> before purchased a video adapter which caused me problems, until I chose
> purchase a video adapter manufactured ny BFG Technologies. This is a
> pathetic example of a video adapter with a "lifetime" warranty. I have
had
> better results with generic no name boards which came with no warramty
> whatsoever.
>
> I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.
>
> I would love to hear comments from other members of the group concerning
> experiences with Asylum-BFG Technologies. Please post your responses here

Joe Hayes
February 13th 04, 12:18 AM
There's no way BFG is sending out refurbished video cards. It's not worth
the effort to diagnose and repair something like that. Those cards are bulk
manufactured in Taiwan or China using specialized equipment. BFG just
packages them in boxes and distributes them to resellers. I'm certain the
replacement card you received was new. Your old one most likely went in the
trash.

"ML" > wrote in message
> [...]
> video
> adapter. GONE are the days when companys honored their "lifetime"
> warranties and shipped back to the customer a brand, spanking, new product
> which has had all the bugs hammered out of it.
>
> I have been doing this kind of IT support function since 1984 and never
> before purchased a video adapter which caused me problems, until I chose
> purchase a video adapter manufactured ny BFG Technologies. This is a
> pathetic example of a video adapter with a "lifetime" warranty. I have
> had
> better results with generic no name boards which came with no warramty
> whatsoever.
>
> I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.
>
> I would love to hear comments from other members of the group concerning
> experiences with Asylum-BFG Technologies. Please post your responses here

steve2112
February 13th 04, 04:07 AM
i have had nothing but good dealings with BFG. i was having a bad driver
issue and they help me through it perfectly and quickly. their tech
support rock plus it was 24/7. i bet the problem is something conflicting
with drivers and such and not directly related to the videocard itself.
the nvidia drivers can be ...ahem..."fickle" sometimes

"Joe Hayes" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [...]

>> adapter. GONE are the days when companys honored their "lifetime"
>> warranties and shipped back to the customer a brand, spanking, new
>> product which has had all the bugs hammered out of it.
>>
>> I have been doing this kind of IT support function since 1984 and
>> never before purchased a video adapter which caused me problems,
>> until I chose to
>> purchase a video adapter manufactured ny BFG Technologies. This is a
>> pathetic example of a video adapter with a "lifetime" warranty. I
>> have had
>> better results with generic no name boards which came with no
>> warramty whatsoever.
>>
>> I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.
>>
>> I would love to hear comments from other members of the group
>> concerning experiences with Asylum-BFG Technologies. Please post
>> your responses here for the benefit of the group.

John Lewis
February 13th 04, 08:57 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:07:59 GMT, steve2112 > wrote:

>i have had nothing but good dealings with BFG. i was having a bad driver
>issue and they help me through it perfectly and quickly. their tech
>support rock plus it was 24/7. i bet the problem is something conflicting
>with drivers and such and not directly related to the videocard itself.
>the nvidia drivers can be ...ahem..."fickle" sometimes

Here is useful RMA tip:-

Put a secret mark on any item that you RMA. ( Serial numbers
are frequently on easy-to-remove stickers. ) That way you can be
CERTAIN that you did not receive the same material back.

That is not to say that BFG did anything wrong with the OPs
RMA. However, this thread prompted me to remember the
above tip.

I suggest that the OP stop fretting and RMA the board again
(with a secret mark).

However................

The OP did not describe the nature of the "video drop".
Presumably the output went blank (or to a text-color other than
white) on the BIOS boot-up screen. If not, I suspect that the
problem has nothing to do with the video hardware.
Also OP, when you got the video drop, did you apply a little
Freezit or a hair-dryer to the board to detect any hardware
cause for the intermittency ?

Maybe the OP would like to be more specific about the
"video drop" ???

John Lewis

Darthy
February 13th 04, 09:39 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:18:37 -0500, "Joe Hayes" >
wrote:

>There's no way BFG is sending out refurbished video cards. It's not worth
>the effort to diagnose and repair something like that. Those cards are bulk
>manufactured in Taiwan or China using specialized equipment. BFG just
>packages them in boxes and distributes them to resellers. I'm certain the
>replacement card you received was new. Your old one most likely went in the
>trash.

Actually, they do refubish the cards. Someone somewhere can make
money off of them... unless they are completely shot.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 13th 04, 09:48 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:14:53 -0500, "ML" > wrote:

>Subject: The pathetic, Asylum - BFG Technologies, GeForce FX 5200 video
>adapter Model #ASLM 52128
>
>I am writing this article to warn prospective video adapter buyers about the
>terrible experience I have had with the Asylum, by BFG Technologies, GeForce
>FX 5200 video adapter I purchased in 2003, marketed through Wal-Mart stores.
>
>I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.

You're over reacting. BFG did well to send you out a replacement
card. Its a refurb unit most likely and its not uncommon to end up
with another BAD product... it happens, it sucks.

Hey, give LINKSYS a call... their support sucks ass... long HOLD times
and no RMA dept... but they have a "5 yr warranty" - but can't get a
replacement for a 1 month old product.

I have a Samsung 19" monitor, I called in on its warranty (3 years) on
the LAST month. I was never on hold for more than 3-4 mins (avg was
under a minute), no recipt (SER #)... but they had ended up sending me
3 (yes 3) BAD monitors... Replacement #3 was SOOO bad, I exchanged it
for #2 at the UPS Store. They next-day shipped me #4, an upgraded
model too boot. That was a YEAR ago.... using it today.

When I called for the BAD #3, I was on hold for 5 mins, their system
xfered me to another dept. A HUMAN said he wasnt RMA - but took my
info. (4pm) - Next day (11am) Samsung CALLS ME... professional and
not happy about shipping out these monitors (Each monitor costs about
$40 each way - they PAY for it, and thats 3day)

THAT IS SUPPORT!

BFG... doesnt sound bad to me...

BTW: 5200 is a low end card, could be an issue with lots of 5200s...

Or something else is causing it...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

James R. Lunsford
February 19th 04, 06:32 AM
I got one from my local Wal-Mart last friday (02-13-04), installed it that
night, PC wouldn't boot. Put my old card back in, PC booted. New card, no
boot, old card boot. Did this about 3 times, called the tech support and
they said send it in, we'll send you a new one. As soon as I told the guy
"Wal-Mart", he said, "ooops, bad board, send it in...". I'm upgrading from
an ATI Rage Fury that's about 6 years old, and about the most demanding game
I play these days is Tribes 2 or Half-Life TFC. Hey I'm 46 with a 6 year
old, a five month old, and a 3 year old divorce on my hands. I can't afford
to sink $500 into a video card. I do want to try out Halo for the PC, City
of Heroes when it finally gets up and running, and maybe Planetside, none of
which would run on the ATI. I figure just about ANYTHING I got was an
upgrade from the Rage Fury w/ 32 megs and getting an FX5200 for $58 isn't
too shabby of a deal.

Probably get the board back next week sometime, can't wait to try it...

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:14:53 -0500, "ML" > wrote:
>
> >Subject: The pathetic, Asylum - BFG Technologies, GeForce FX 5200 video
> >adapter Model #ASLM 52128
> >
> >I am writing this article to warn prospective video adapter buyers about
the
> >terrible experience I have had with the Asylum, by BFG Technologies,
GeForce
> >FX 5200 video adapter I purchased in 2003, marketed through Wal-Mart
stores.

> >I have taken a solemn vow to never again trust BFG Technolgies.
>
> You're over reacting. BFG did well to send you out a replacement
> card. Its a refurb unit most likely and its not uncommon to end up
> with another BAD product... it happens, it sucks.
>
> Hey, give LINKSYS a call... their support sucks ass... long HOLD times
> and no RMA dept... but they have a "5 yr warranty" - but can't get a
> replacement for a 1 month old product.
>
> I have a Samsung 19" monitor, I called in on its warranty (3 years) on
> the LAST month. I was never on hold for more than 3-4 mins (avg was
> under a minute), no recipt (SER #)... but they had ended up sending me
> 3 (yes 3) BAD monitors... Replacement #3 was SOOO bad, I exchanged it
> for #2 at the UPS Store. They next-day shipped me #4, an upgraded
> model too boot. That was a YEAR ago.... using it today.
>
> When I called for the BAD #3, I was on hold for 5 mins, their system
> xfered me to another dept. A HUMAN said he wasnt RMA - but took my
> info. (4pm) - Next day (11am) Samsung CALLS ME... professional and
> not happy about shipping out these monitors (Each monitor costs about
> $40 each way - they PAY for it, and thats 3day)
>
> THAT IS SUPPORT!
>
> BFG... doesnt sound bad to me...
>
> BTW: 5200 is a low end card, could be an issue with lots of 5200s...
>
> Or something else is causing it...
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 20th 04, 11:56 AM
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:32:19 GMT, "James R. Lunsford"
> wrote:

>I got one from my local Wal-Mart last friday (02-13-04), installed it that
>night, PC wouldn't boot. Put my old card back in, PC booted. New card, no
>boot, old card boot. Did this about 3 times, called the tech support and
>they said send it in, we'll send you a new one. As soon as I told the guy
>"Wal-Mart", he said, "ooops, bad board, send it in...". I'm upgrading from

That sucks... But I am confused as to why you are sending it in, Wall
mart has like a 30day return policy on electronics I believe, or at
least 2 weeks.

>an ATI Rage Fury that's about 6 years old, and about the most demanding game
>I play these days is Tribes 2 or Half-Life TFC. Hey I'm 46 with a 6 year
>old, a five month old, and a 3 year old divorce on my hands. I can't afford
>to sink $500 into a video card. I do want to try out Halo for the PC, City

I understand... Im not rich either... A $100 is a lot to me at the
moment. But you don't need to blow $500 on a video card. A $70
Ti4200 would give you a lot more OMPH of power.

I cant play Half Life (too horrible) I didnt like Tribes - it wasn't
bad... it just didnt float my boat ;)

>of Heroes when it finally gets up and running, and maybe Planetside, none of
>which would run on the ATI. I figure just about ANYTHING I got was an
>upgrade from the Rage Fury w/ 32 megs and getting an FX5200 for $58 isn't
>too shabby of a deal.
>
>Probably get the board back next week sometime, can't wait to try it...

To play HALO and other such games, the 5200 is gonna be kinda sucky...
you'd have to use the LOWEST settings... On my #2 pC - I got UT2004
running by itself for run... its going 15~25fps on a Ti4200 card (but
I have 16bots going nuts and max details).

good luck... and yes, yer old games will run a lot better with the new
card... as long as its a 128bit version... which I doubt... ;(

That is my concern... $20 could have equaled a vide card that is about
4 times faster IF you have the 64bit memory version.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

James R. Lunsford
February 21st 04, 03:58 PM
> >"Wal-Mart", he said, "ooops, bad board, send it in...". I'm upgrading
from

> That sucks... But I am confused as to why you are sending it in, Wall
> mart has like a 30day return policy on electronics I believe, or at
> least 2 weeks.

By the time I got around to installing it it was 10pm or so, it didn't work
and there was the tech support number so I called it. I had browsed online
and saw tha the card sells for $149 at Best Buy and the original price at
Wal-Mart wasw $128 so I figured that if I could send it in and get a new,
working card, I'd have gotten a $149 card for $60

> >to sink $500 into a video card. I do want to try out Halo for the PC,
City

> I understand... Im not rich either... A $100 is a lot to me at the
> moment. But you don't need to blow $500 on a video card. A $70
> Ti4200 would give you a lot more OMPH of power.

I read a lot of review and the 5200 tested pretty well according to a lot of
the testers. and I figured that just about *any* modern card would give me
a lot more OMPH than the one I was using. I see your point, that I could
have gotten more bang for my buck, but I made my decision based on the info
that I had and the opportunity.

> I cant play Half Life (too horrible) I didnt like Tribes - it wasn't
> bad... it just didnt float my boat ;)

Love them both...

> >Probably get the board back next week sometime, can't wait to try it...
>
> To play HALO and other such games, the 5200 is gonna be kinda sucky...
> you'd have to use the LOWEST settings... On my #2 pC - I got UT2004
> running by itself for run... its going 15~25fps on a Ti4200 card (but
> I have 16bots going nuts and max details).

I'm used to that. I usually had to run at the lowest settings to improve
performance. I like to see the players, and I like to see as far as I can
to get the "zoom-in" shots, but if I can play the games at all, I'll be
grateful.

> good luck... and yes, yer old games will run a lot better with the new
> card... as long as its a 128bit version... which I doubt... ;(

Windows properties says that it has 256 MB of RAM, which according to what
I've read is a bit of a sham because it only uses 128 of it, something about
a pipeline or something. I tried Tribes for a bit last night, reinstalled
it under the new video card and upped all of the settings to the max, didn't
seem to be that much different from my old card. Of course I *was* running
it with the settings (texture quality, dynamic lighting, hi-res everything)
maxed out, whereas before I had minimal settings, maybe that had something
to do with it. Any tips or tricks for tweaking the 5200 settings to
maximize the speed/visual quality?

Thanks for the message, I appreciate the feedback. Next time I upgrade I'm
going to hit the message boards and ask for advice in my price range.

Thanks again.

Darthy
February 22nd 04, 11:21 AM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:58:28 GMT, "James R. Lunsford"
> wrote:

>> >"Wal-Mart", he said, "ooops, bad board, send it in...". I'm upgrading
>from
>>
>> That sucks... But I am confused as to why you are sending it in, Wall
>> mart has like a 30day return policy on electronics I believe, or at
>> least 2 weeks.
>
>By the time I got around to installing it it was 10pm or so, it didn't work
>and there was the tech support number so I called it. I had browsed online
>and saw tha the card sells for $149 at Best Buy and the original price at
>Wal-Mart wasw $128 so I figured that if I could send it in and get a new,
>working card, I'd have gotten a $149 card for $60

Doubt that. For $150, its the 5200Ultra (waaay over price) - for $60
you have the 64bit 5200 plain. Big difference... but both slow. But
its understandable why you were "tricked" into this.... sorry about
that, but thats Nvidia fault.

Here:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

The 5200 on the list is still the 128bit version.

>I read a lot of review and the 5200 tested pretty well according to a lot of
>the testers. and I figured that just about *any* modern card would give me
>a lot more OMPH than the one I was using. I see your point, that I could
>have gotten more bang for my buck, but I made my decision based on the info
>that I had and the opportunity.

reviews from PC Mag? Read reviews from gamers like www.anandtech.com
and www.tomshardware.com - theres are not favorites, but they are
generally good. Yes, you did research - not your fault. ;(

>> I cant play Half Life (too horrible) I didnt like Tribes - it wasn't
>> bad... it just didnt float my boat ;)
>
>Love them both...

Can't stand them... horrible graphics... sorry, but a TOUGH guy can't
climb a 5ft ledge without putting a 2foot box in front of it? Which
you have to PUSH and PULL from 2 rooms... it bored me to tears. I
liked the concept of the game, voice acting was funny. Other than
that. ugh. But I don't like puzzle games. When I play something like
UT2004 - your constantly being fire upon and you are firing back.

Try it out... especially since you like Tribes.

>> To play HALO and other such games, the 5200 is gonna be kinda sucky...
>> you'd have to use the LOWEST settings... On my #2 pC - I got UT2004
>
>I'm used to that. I usually had to run at the lowest settings to improve
>performance. I like to see the players, and I like to see as far as I can
>to get the "zoom-in" shots, but if I can play the games at all, I'll be
>grateful.

I'm used to playing at the HIGHEST settings... you can see so much.
When you play at LOW settings, you're forcing the game to look an
extra 1-3 years old. Halo on a GF2 is horrible... But I've played
HALO on a 5200 - it looks okay, but never smooth.

>> good luck... and yes, yer old games will run a lot better with the new
>> card... as long as its a 128bit version... which I doubt... ;(
>
>Windows properties says that it has 256 MB of RAM, which according to what
>I've read is a bit of a sham because it only uses 128 of it, something about

128*BIT* not MB... big difference. Its the interface of the memory to
the video chip. Cheaper 64bit RAM is used instead of 128 or 256bit
memory on standard quality cards. So a 64bit version 5200 is half
the speed of a 128bit version... and of course, they don't put this on
the BOX in big letters. When you look at the LINK I sent ya, the
5200-64bit is half the performance of the 5200 listed there.

I'd still get a refund of the card at wal mart, and mail order a
Ti4200...

>a pipeline or something. I tried Tribes for a bit last night, reinstalled
>it under the new video card and upped all of the settings to the max, didn't
>seem to be that much different from my old card. Of course I *was* running
>it with the settings (texture quality, dynamic lighting, hi-res everything)
>maxed out, whereas before I had minimal settings, maybe that had something
>to do with it. Any tips or tricks for tweaking the 5200 settings to
>maximize the speed/visual quality?

1 - Tribes is a 2000 game. It won't look any better on a 5200 than on
a GF2mx.

2 - The 5200 isn't a fast card

3 - Your CPU isn't helping (If I remember, right its a bit on the old
side - no insult implied... I am not fastest either, I spent less than
$100 on my CPU heheh)

Try a modern game.

>Thanks for the message, I appreciate the feedback. Next time I upgrade I'm
>going to hit the message boards and ask for advice in my price range.
>
>Thanks again.

Go here for creen shots of UT2004
http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/screenshots.php

Look on the links on the side... you can download the 10mb video and
the 210mb DEMO Game.... enjoy

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 22nd 04, 11:50 AM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:58:28 GMT, "James R. Lunsford"
> wrote:

>By the time I got around to installing it it was 10pm or so, it didn't work
>and there was the tech support number so I called it. I had browsed online
>and saw tha the card sells for $149 at Best Buy and the original price at
>Wal-Mart wasw $128 so I figured that if I could send it in and get a new,
>working card, I'd have gotten a $149 card for $60

Hey.... don't feel stupid...

Think of the guys who buy this card:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/xgi-volari_23.html

This costs about $400... and its performance level is where?

Yep... ATI9800... with Cheats (lowers video quality and other tricks)
vs slower than your card in true mode... heheh hahaha