PDA

View Full Version : 3D games freeze on startup-help!!

Bob Shasteen
February 12th 04, 11:26 AM
I am running a PNY Verto GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB card (stock, not OC, no other
sys changes recently), and I try to play Battlefield 1942 & a Starsky &
Hutch game demo (both 3D games, both used to run great), & after the initial
startup screens both games crash in a weird checkerboard pixelated display
that forces me to hit the reset button (I'm running WinXP home). Updating
vid drivers does no good, I haven't played either title in a month or so,
don't know when the SNAFU occurred. Any suggestions? Does this sound like an
overheating card, and if the fan is bad can I get a replacement? Is it
possible that apps other than 3D
games could run perfectly well, then only 3D games lock up? The only other
problems
that have happened have been the BSOD 2x in the past couple of weeks , and
my aquarium screensaver started locking up a couple of weeks ago (similar
weird pixelated, checkerboard pattern) & I
switched to a regular WinXP screensaver. If my video card is locking up, can
you replace the fans in them, but on the other hand should I bother? I've
only got $129 invested in it. TIA for any help anyone can offer.

raj
February 12th 04, 07:56 PM
souds liek its overheating, and heat can make your Gf 4 ti ram go bad, fix
it with ram sinks, or i even heard a idea from a guy on this new group he
said he using a cooling spray and while your playing a gam you can spray the
cooling spray on the actually ramits self or gpu to kool and see it its the
problem (you can use air in a can!)
"Bob Shasteen" > wrote in message
> I am running a PNY Verto GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB card (stock, not OC, no
other
> sys changes recently), and I try to play Battlefield 1942 & a Starsky &
> Hutch game demo (both 3D games, both used to run great), & after the
initial
> startup screens both games crash in a weird checkerboard pixelated display
> that forces me to hit the reset button (I'm running WinXP home). Updating
> vid drivers does no good, I haven't played either title in a month or so,
> don't know when the SNAFU occurred. Any suggestions? Does this sound like
an
> overheating card, and if the fan is bad can I get a replacement? Is it
> possible that apps other than 3D
> games could run perfectly well, then only 3D games lock up? The only other
> problems
> that have happened have been the BSOD 2x in the past couple of weeks , and
> my aquarium screensaver started locking up a couple of weeks ago (similar
> weird pixelated, checkerboard pattern) & I
> switched to a regular WinXP screensaver. If my video card is locking up,
can
> you replace the fans in them, but on the other hand should I bother? I've
> only got $129 invested in it. TIA for any help anyone can offer.

john smith
February 13th 04, 11:11 PM
Sound Like UR AGP slot on your motherbaord might be on its way out use a
mates Card similar to yours see if u have same problem if so replacement
M/B.