PDA

View Full Version : AGPVideocard vs. Harddisk on Asrock mainboard

Alex Schwarzer
February 12th 04, 09:53 AM
Hi Folks,

weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Specs

Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
installed
512 MB
Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

Dark Avenger
February 12th 04, 07:33 PM
"Alex Schwarzer" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Folks,
>
> weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
> onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
> be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
> So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
> have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
> conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>

> Specs
>
> Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
> installed
> 512 MB
> Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
> HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Alex Schwarzer
February 13th 04, 12:11 AM
"Dark Avenger" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> "4H
>
> What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Hi, Avenger,

I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Alex Schwarzer
February 13th 04, 12:15 AM
"PB" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?
>
> Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?
>
> DD

Yes, I disabled the onboard video; no, theres no jumper setting needed on my
asrock GPro.

Darthy
February 13th 04, 09:50 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:53:50 +0100, "Alex Schwarzer"
> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
>onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
>be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
>So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
>have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
>conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
>Thanks in advance
>

>Specs
>
>Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
>installed
>512 MB
>Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
>HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

ASROCK makes piece of **** motherboards... (They are re-packaged
ECS/PC Chips board sold under the sub of ASUS).

replace board with something that works.

$60 buys a KT400 or KT600 mobo...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Dark Avenger
February 13th 04, 01:55 PM
"Alex Schwarzer" > wrote in message >...
> "Dark Avenger" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> om...
> > "4H
> >
> > What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!
>
> Hi, Avenger,
>
> I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
> guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
> oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
> finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Well even a cheapo 300W should be able to run that, unless ofcourse
you heavily overclock your processor.

I guess that it might indeed be your motherboard....