PDA

View Full Version : New card for an AGP2 slot?

warp
February 12th 04, 04:50 AM
5 year old Dell computer, Nvidia GeForce 256 card is starting to fail (gray
streaks that go across entire screen in same horizontal plane as any black
lines or text). Have swapped monitors, and the problem persists, so it's
probably the card.

My question is, can I buy a new graphics card with a higher AGP speed than
the original AGP2? Are the new cards backwards compatible as far as the AGP
speed goes? If so, any recommendations?

NuT CrAcKeR
February 12th 04, 05:38 AM
That would be 4x. Most of the newest cards will run AGP2.0. There isnt any
discernable difference between 4x and 8x, even in the benchmarks...

You should be safe.

NuTs

"warp" > wrote in message
> 5 year old Dell computer, Nvidia GeForce 256 card is starting to fail
(gray
> streaks that go across entire screen in same horizontal plane as any black
> lines or text). Have swapped monitors, and the problem persists, so it's
> probably the card.
>
> My question is, can I buy a new graphics card with a higher AGP speed than
> the original AGP2? Are the new cards backwards compatible as far as the
AGP
> speed goes? If so, any recommendations?

Tom
February 12th 04, 04:02 PM
"warp" > wrote in message
> 5 year old Dell computer, Nvidia GeForce 256 card is starting to fail
(gray
> streaks that go across entire screen in same horizontal plane as any black
> lines or text). Have swapped monitors, and the problem persists, so it's
> probably the card.
>
> My question is, can I buy a new graphics card with a higher AGP speed than
> the original AGP2? Are the new cards backwards compatible as far as the
AGP
> speed goes? If so, any recommendations?

Take a look here...

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

Tom.

tq96
February 12th 04, 08:28 PM
> My question is, can I buy a new graphics card with a higher AGP speed
> than the original AGP2? Are the new cards backwards compatible as far
> as the AGP speed goes? If so, any recommendations?

You can use any card that is compatible with a 3.3V AGP slot. I'm not sure
exactly what will happen if you try a card that only wants to be in a 1.5V
or 0.8V slot, but my intuition tells me that it wouldn't work out all too
well.

NuT CrAcKeR
February 18th 04, 04:06 PM
Nice link.