PDA

View Full Version : what was your first computer

Andrew
February 11th 04, 05:38 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Sinclair ZX81 4Mhz, 1K ram, shared with video buffer, cassette port,
monochrome display, no sound, membrane keyboard.

You youngsters, *sigh*.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

February 11th 04, 05:56 PM

"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

A Tandy-1000 EX, 256K mem., no hard drive, 1 low density 5 1/4 floppy.
Still have it, still works, although it doesn't do Windows very well ;)

Daniel Mobley

Folk
February 11th 04, 06:03 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Abacus. Replaced the plastic balls with high-density brass and the
cheap string with quality cat gut. It overclocked like a bitch.

Blaedmon
February 11th 04, 06:12 PM
.... a mere Commodore c16... nothing special, although after that I got a
Commodore Plus4... no idea why. Then went onto the legendary Commodore C64's
which I still have about 7 of, most working. Its still the best pc ever ;D

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:
>
> >just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> >meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>
> Sinclair ZX81 4Mhz, 1K ram, shared with video buffer, cassette port,
> monochrome display, no sound, membrane keyboard.
>
> You youngsters, *sigh*.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

BigJIm
February 11th 04, 06:45 PM
Hal 9000 it was sweet.................................
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Stanlin877
February 11th 04, 07:03 PM
XT
"BigJIm" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> Hal 9000 it was sweet.................................
> "raj" > wrote in message
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Andrew Critchard
February 11th 04, 07:16 PM
Commodore Vic-20

"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Martin Francis
February 11th 04, 07:17 PM
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

C64- later version with body-coloured keys and matching tape drive. never
had a 5.25" FDD, though....

That would have been 1987/8, when I was about 5 years old. Sold it in about
'93 with a ton of games for 100.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

raj
February 11th 04, 07:18 PM
just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

MheAd
February 11th 04, 07:29 PM
Commodore 64 with cassette-player!
Real paradise!

"raj" > skrev i meddelandet
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Sunbow
February 11th 04, 07:30 PM
spectrum 48k+ with `proper` keyboard. later a speccy 128k +2A with disk
drive add-on. Had a whole 780k per disk..
"MheAd" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Commodore 64 with cassette-player!
> Real paradise!
>
> "raj" > skrev i meddelandet
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Bigguy
February 11th 04, 07:35 PM
Commodore PET 2001 then DEC PDP-8, Commodore 64, BBC-Micro, Apricot Xen
(286?).....

Guy

raj wrote:
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit
> smokin 1 meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy
> drives lol

Erik
February 11th 04, 07:39 PM
"Andrew Critchard" > wrote: ...
> Commodore Vic-20

Me too :-)

scott
February 11th 04, 07:40 PM
raj wrote:
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit
> smokin 1 meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy
> drives lol

BBC-B 1MHz, upgraded the RAM to 32Meg... oops I mean K, and added the disc
filing system chip. I think it was a bit too much of an upgrade though, it
overheated and got fuzzy lines on the screen if played for too long ;-)

Andrew
February 11th 04, 07:45 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:40:18 -0000, "scott" > wrote:

>BBC-B 1MHz, upgraded the RAM to 32Meg... oops I mean K, and added the disc
>filing system chip. I think it was a bit too much of an upgrade though, it
>overheated and got fuzzy lines on the screen if played for too long ;-)

The instability was probably due to it being a cheap clone of the
BBC-B, the real ones were a staggering 2Mhz! ;-)
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

Tim-mz500r
February 11th 04, 07:46 PM
oric !! 48k
"Bigguy" > wrote in message
> Commodore PET 2001 then DEC PDP-8, Commodore 64, BBC-Micro, Apricot Xen
> (286?).....
>
> Guy
>
> raj wrote:
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit
> > smokin 1 meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy
> > drives lol

Kai Robinson
February 11th 04, 08:16 PM
1989 - Acorn Electron 32k w/Plus II Expansion Pack & Tape Deck

1993 - IBM XT from a skip, 640k ram, 20mb Hard Disk (MFM? RLL?), 320k 5.25"
Floppy Drive

1995 - Acer 1170 486 DX-25, 8mb mem, 340mb Connor ESDI Drive, 1mb ISA Video
(Trident 8900D), SB Pro II, 2x SB CD-Drive

1997 - AMD K5-PR133, 16mb mem, 3.2gb Seagate ST33232A, 2mb S3 Virge, SB Pro
II (again), 4x IDE Drive

1999 - AMD K6-2 300, 112mb SDRAM (64mb, 32mb + 16mb SDRAM DIMMS), same 3.2gb
hard disk, STB Velocity 4400 16mb AGP, AWE64-Value, 32x CD-drive - and in
the same year - this was changed to a P2-233 on an Abit LX6 board w/128mb
SDRAM & Matrox G400 Dualhead 32mb AGP - everything else stayed the same

2000 - Upgraded previous one to Celeron 333A @ 500Mhz. Then upgraded to an
Abit VA6. Then added a Nikimi 8.4gb hard disk. Then Upgraded to a Celeron
600. Then Upgraded to a Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X. Then Upgraded to a P3-700
FlipChip.

2002 - Previous system sold to buy car. New machine: AMD Athlon XP1600+,
256mb PC2100 DDR, 40gb Maxtor ATA/133 7200rpm, Gigabyte GA-7VTXH, MSI
GeForce 2 MX 32mb later upgraded to the GeForce 3 Ti200 i still own.

2004 - Upgraded previous system to an MSI KT3 Ultra2, 256mb Kingston PC2700
(KTC-D320/256) to replace borked board and memory.

so far thats it - but it looks like i just won a Radeon 9500.....

Kai

"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Tom Dearst
February 11th 04, 08:56 PM
Atari 256k. Wanted the 512 but it was 400 dollars more.219 dollar plug in
floppy drive upgrade was out of the question. Could play a cool tank game.
Never was able to find it again, I wish I could. I remember the smell in the
store when I bought it....excitement!

Tom

"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Mr. Brian Allen
February 11th 04, 09:27 PM
> A Tandy-1000 EX, 256K mem., no hard drive, 1 low density 5 1/4 floppy.
> Still have it, still works, although it doesn't do Windows very well ;)

Same here. Boy, was I in heaven when they made that multi-port hookup and
sound effects cartridge. I also liked the music emulation cartridge. You
could make some kick-ass music with that thing.

Sith Lord
February 11th 04, 09:35 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800 in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

First used: Vax 11/750 minicomputer, otherwise an Amstrad CPC664, two
vastly different animals.

scott
February 11th 04, 09:39 PM
Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:40:18 -0000, "scott" > wrote:
>
>> BBC-B 1MHz, upgraded the RAM to 32Meg... oops I mean K, and added
>> the disc filing system chip. I think it was a bit too much of an
>> upgrade though, it overheated and got fuzzy lines on the screen if
>> played for too long ;-)
>>
> The instability was probably due to it being a cheap clone of the
> BBC-B, the real ones were a staggering 2Mhz! ;-)

Ah good point, it probably was 2MHz! Wow, I could almost do sums that fast
:-)

Compfix
February 11th 04, 09:49 PM
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Amstrad 286 20Meg HDD 1MB RAM cost 100 to upgrade to 4MB. Bought to do OU
course 1992. If the bloke in Dixons had known what he was talking about i
would have bought the 386 instead. He told me it only had a few unimportant
extras!! :-)

Bob

Outback Jon
February 11th 04, 10:59 PM
First one I used:

TRS-80 Model III

First one I owned:

Atari 800XL - 64k (later upgraded to 256k)

--
"Outback" Jon Gould | Let those who RIDE,
2003 Kawasaki Concours (wreck)|
| HELMET LAWS SUCK
CQ CQ CQ de KC2BNE |
______________________________|___________________ _________
AMD XP 2400+ @ 2180 MHz 768M PC2100 DDR @ 290 MHz
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 120GB and 40GB Maxtor HD
Asus GeForceFX 5600 (320/640) Cornerstone 21" Monitor
Sony 52x40x52 CDRW HP D3857A 15" Monitor
Sony 16x40 DVD-ROM Nostromo n50 Speedpad

Lee
February 11th 04, 11:02 PM
My first comp i remember getting was a Commodore 16 + 4 with all the basic
goodies :) loved me basic with 16k mem! lol My first PC was a 486 DX2 66mhz
with 4meg system ram and a graphics card with an astounding 512k mem!!! heh

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>:>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>:>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>:>

-----
Lee.

February 11th 04, 11:18 PM
My first real computer was an amiga 1200 with a 4mb ram expansion,
400mb 3.5" HDD, 14in monitor, squirell scsi pc card with a dual speed
cdrom.

My first PC was rented from radio rentals, and it was an olivetti
machine. It had 8Mb Ram, P100 CPU and a 1Gb HDD. Also had 1Mb onboard
VGA. 4x CDROM and soundcard. To upgrade it i spent nearly a hundred
pound another 2x 4Mb SIMMs to take the ram to 16Mb and i added another
800Mb HDD. Also got a 250Mb Colorado tape drive to go in it.

Still have the pc in the spare room, i mite just fire it up
later.........

regards

paul

Martin Francis
February 11th 04, 11:49 PM
"Martin Francis" > wrote in
message ...
> "raj" > wrote in message
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>
> C64- later version with body-coloured keys and matching tape drive. never
> had a 5.25" FDD, though....
>
> That would have been 1987/8, when I was about 5 years old. Sold it in
about
> '93 with a ton of games for 100.

Odd... not as many complete young 'uns answered as you'd think....

I'd have expected at least one "Sega Genesis/Megadrive" or "Sony
Playstation".

While i'm indulging in nostalgia, i'll mention that after the C64 I got a
Sega Game Gear some time in the early 90s, and my first PC was September
1993- an Amstrad MegaPC, which had a rather aging 386SX25 processor, 2Mb
Ram, 256Kb Video RAM, and a 40Mb hard drive. MS-DOS 5.0 OS- those were the
days! You could have Windows 3.1 installed, or you could have a game, but
never both- and a flip panel on the front which turned it into a Sega
Genesis/Megadrive console!

Which was brilliant, until I did some upgrading and the console bit stopped
working.

Ah, to be eleven again...

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
But he did take some photographs once.

Robert
February 11th 04, 11:52 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:
TRS-80. Just hook up your cassette player and go
>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Guardian
February 12th 04, 12:38 AM
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Tandy-1000 RLX here.... bought a 10gig seagate hard drive, a SCREAMING 1200
baud modem, upgraded the 512k with a 512k *zip chip* for a total of 1mb of
ram for it and I thought it was the bomb. Remember Deskmate (the graphical
*Windows like* GUI?) Mine came with a copy of the very first Prince Of
Persia game which at the time was very kewl. First kickass game I
downloaded was on AOL (or was that Prodigy...can't remember now...think they
were the only two around that I recall) and it was called Wolfenstein.....
couldn't wait to show that game off to my bro.... two days later he was out
buying the same setup..

Guardian
February 12th 04, 12:43 AM
"Guardian" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "raj" > wrote in message
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
> >

> Tandy-1000 RLX here.... bought a 10gig seagate hard drive, a SCREAMING
1200

Correction.... that was a 10mb hard drive.......yuck.... biatch cost me over
$300 just for the drive.

Kokoro
February 12th 04, 12:50 AM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, raj ordered an army of hamsters to
type:

> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Sinclair Spectrum +2 128k. I had the larger one with the intergrated
cassette drive, and in gray too. Later they were black.

I also aquired an older 48k model with the rubber keys (ik!), but it never
replaced the 128.

4mhz cpu if i remember corectly.

Flash
February 12th 04, 12:51 AM
TRS-80 Model I
(model one), with 1k of ram, I bought the "upgrade" to level ii basic, and a
total of 4k ram.
I remember typing in long 1k programs and saving them to cassette.
I finally got that sucker up to its max 48k and floppy drives (had to buy an
expansion interface, which was a box bigger than the computer).

"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Kokoro
February 12th 04, 12:54 AM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Sunbow ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> spectrum 48k+ with `proper` keyboard. later a speccy 128k +2A with
> disk drive add-on. Had a whole 780k per disk..

lol, there was a time when I wanted to get the (not so) floppy disk drive
addon. I had a friend that had one of the speccys with the intergrated
disk drive in place of the cassette player. I was jealous.

Mr. Brian Allen
February 12th 04, 01:30 AM
> I remember typing in long 1k programs and saving them to cassette.
> I finally got that sucker up to its max 48k and floppy drives (had to buy
an
> expansion interface, which was a box bigger than the computer).

Expansion interface. I couldn't remember the name. That thing kicked sack.
I had one of those with a floppy drive and the sound effects cartridge.
With that, you could play games that actually *gasp* talked! One of my
earliest computer memories is making my Tandy say cuss words in a robot
voice to my friends. Sad, I know. :-p

Darthy
February 12th 04, 01:35 AM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Geez we already went over this last month or so.

1 - 1984 - Commodore VIC 20 (1mhz / 3.5K ram / 8 colors / 3 sound
voices 20x22 character screen)

2 - 1985 - C= 128 (128mb RAM / 2mhz / 16colors, added 320K $275 floppy
drive in 1986)

3 - 1989 - Amiga 1000 (512k / 7.14mhz / 4096 colors - digital audio)
4 - 1991 - Amiga 3000 (5mb / 25mhz / 150mb HD - still works today)

5 - 1996> Various PCs from Cyrix 486-80Mhz to PII > PIII > AMD XP2500.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

The Black Wibble
February 12th 04, 01:46 AM
"raj" > wrote in message ...
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K and cassette tapes for storage. Nothing "smokin" about any of it.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Dave
February 12th 04, 02:21 AM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, raj wrote:

> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

ZX-81. I thought I was a god when I got the 16Kb rampack.

The Black Wibble
February 12th 04, 02:23 AM
"Tim-mz500r" > wrote in message ...
> oric !! 48k

Ha! Another pommie PC I had long since forgotten about. Two years ago I gave away a bunch of "Your
Computer" mags purchased between 1982 to 1985 to a church. @^&*!! Do I regret it. They record an explosion
of PCs that arrived in those years including the ZX Spectrum, Dragon 32, Aquarius, Oric, Atari 400, Acorn
Electron, etc.. Now they're all gone, dammit.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PDC20378 IDE/SATA controller
ADI AD1985 audio
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

The Black Wibble
February 12th 04, 02:45 AM
"Tom Dearst" > wrote in message
om...
> Atari 256k. Wanted the 512 but it was 400 dollars more.219 dollar plug in
> floppy drive upgrade was out of the question. Could play a cool tank game.
> Never was able to find it again, I wish I could. I remember the smell in the
> store when I bought it....excitement!

I apologise as an ex-Amiga owner for giving you Atari ST owners such a (verbal) arse kicking. You know... it
was a stooopid religious thang I had going on back then; oh, and some really quite superior graphics hardware,
better sound, and a vastly more elegant OS.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PDC20378 IDE/SATA controller
ADI AD1985 audio
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Michael Picard
February 12th 04, 06:36 AM
Timex sinclare 1000
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

v56k
February 12th 04, 09:22 AM
raj wrote:

> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

BBC Model B 64K RAM.

Ronny Svedman
February 12th 04, 10:11 AM
Apple IIe
64k ram + 64k ramdisk
2x 5 1/4 floppy with 143K / side
green monochrome monitor.

then atari 520 STfm, 1040 STm

James West
February 12th 04, 11:18 AM
ICL 370/2 Mainframe

then

Tandy TRS-80 from Tandy's Level 1 Basic from a small start-up called
Microsoft (what happed to those guys?)
4K Ram, cassette tape drive

upgraded by Tandy to Level 2 Basic and 16K Ram ( more money for that
start-up)

then later upgraded myself to 48K Ram with Lowercase mod
added Exatron stringy floppy (tape) drive

just to play Scot Adams adventures

those were the days

friends coming over and asking WHY I had a computer in my house
and me saying one day we all would...........................

--
..
"raj" > wrote in message
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
> meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Darthy
February 12th 04, 11:57 AM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:45:52 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
> wrote:

>"Tom Dearst" > wrote in message
om...
>> Atari 256k. Wanted the 512 but it was 400 dollars more.219 dollar plug in
>> floppy drive upgrade was out of the question. Could play a cool tank game.
>> Never was able to find it again, I wish I could. I remember the smell in the
>> store when I bought it....excitement!
>
>I apologise as an ex-Amiga owner for giving you Atari ST owners such a (verbal) arse kicking. You know... it
>was a stooopid religious thang I had going on back then; oh, and some really quite superior graphics hardware,
>better sound, and a vastly more elegant OS.
>
>Tony.

heheh.... yep... AMIGA... killed from within...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Gary Tait
February 12th 04, 04:48 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

First computer I used was an Apple II at school.
First computer I owned was a Vic-20, with tape drive.
First PC was an IBM 5150. (I forget if I had the 10 Meg HDD in that
one, or the Epson turbo XT I had later)

Paul Clarke
February 12th 04, 06:02 PM
Sinclair ZX80 - Bought through a magazine subscription and had to build it
myself.

Z80A/3.58 MHz - 8-Bit

Daniel Crichton
February 12th 04, 06:07 PM
Sinclair ZX Spectrum - 48K RAM, rubber keyboard that had bubble mat under
which used to burst with frantic gaming (Daley Thompson's Decathlon), later
upgraded to hard plastic keyboard a la 48K+ model. 16 colour display, only 2
colours per 8pixel x 8pixel sprite. Cassette player for loading/saving
stuff, later added a Waferdrive (similar to the Microdrive that was
available). Kempston and Sinclair switchable joystick interface with 2
joysticks. Sinclair thermal printer (remember watching fascinated as the
little needle sparked on the silver coated paper burning black marks). Also
added a lightpen at one point, but drawing with it was a nightmare. It all
still works too, except it is now a 16K RAM model due to an accident
involving the 5V and ground wires in a joystick experiment :\

Dan

John Lewis
February 12th 04, 08:43 PM
Commodore Amiga 1000, circa 1985. Still working, with original Amiga
1080 monitor.

John Lewis

Mr. Brian Allen
February 12th 04, 09:38 PM
> Apple IIe
> 64k ram + 64k ramdisk
> 2x 5 1/4 floppy with 143K / side
> green monochrome monitor.

Those were great also. Remember when the IIe's came out with color monitors
and hard floppy drives? You'd have thought the world ended.

-=Matt=-
February 13th 04, 12:25 AM
"Blaedmon" > wrote in message
> ... a mere Commodore c16... nothing special, although after that I got a
> Commodore Plus4... no idea why. Then went onto the legendary Commodore
C64's
> which I still have about 7 of, most working. Its still the best pc ever ;D
>
> "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:
> >
> > >just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > >meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
> >
> > Sinclair ZX81 4Mhz, 1K ram, shared with video buffer, cassette port,
> > monochrome display, no sound, membrane keyboard.
> >
> > You youngsters, *sigh*.
> > --
> > Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
> > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
> > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

You younguns have it easy. In my day I had to make do with an Etch-a-sketch
strapped to a cardboard box, with a pocket calculator inside!

-=Matt=-

Bob
February 13th 04, 02:49 AM

> 1
> > >
> > > Sinclair ZX81 4Mhz, 1K ram, shared with video buffer, cassette port,
> > > monochrome display, no sound, membrane keyboard.
> > >
> > > You youngsters, *sigh*.
> > > --
> > > Andrew. To email unscramble & remove
spamtrap.
> > > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
> > > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
> >

> You younguns have it easy. In my day I had to make do with an
Etch-a-sketch
> strapped to a cardboard box, with a pocket calculator inside!
>
> -=Matt=-

Now son, I've told you not to bring that up. But you know perfectly well
that the first computer in the house was the dirt floor. Never could recover
any deleted files from that old computer, and the graphics did kinda suck
;-)

-=Matt=-
February 13th 04, 12:44 PM
"Bob" > wrote in message
news:o2WWb.166290$U%[email protected]_s03...

> smokin
> > 1

> spamtrap.
> > >

> > You younguns have it easy. In my day I had to make do with an
> Etch-a-sketch
> > strapped to a cardboard box, with a pocket calculator inside!
> >
> > -=Matt=-
> >
> Now son, I've told you not to bring that up. But you know perfectly well
> that the first computer in the house was the dirt floor. Never could
recover
> any deleted files from that old computer, and the graphics did kinda suck
> ;-)

Dirt floor?! Luxury! Back when I were a lad, if I wanted to render a 3d
scene, or indulge in some CAD, I had to carve it all out onto our solid
granite block with my tongue! It was embedded with bits of broken glass I
might add! The rich people had 'dirt' floors to display *their* PowerPoint
presentations!

-=Matt=-

tonyk
February 13th 04, 04:24 PM
>> Now son, I've told you not to bring that up. But you know perfectly
>> well that the first computer in the house was the dirt floor. Never
>> could
> recover
>> any deleted files from that old computer, and the graphics did kinda
>> suck ;-)
>>

> Dirt floor?! Luxury! Back when I were a lad, if I wanted to render a
> 3d scene, or indulge in some CAD, I had to carve it all out onto our
> solid granite block with my tongue! It was embedded with bits of
> broken glass I

You new comers, with your windoze and linsux........back in the day we
had nothing but ones and zeros.....sometimes just zeros......sometimes
we used OHs for zeros.......

tonyk

Dave
February 13th 04, 04:52 PM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:24:33 -0600, tonyk wrote:

> You new comers, with your windoze and linsux........back in the day we
> had nothing but ones and zeros.....sometimes just zeros......sometimes
> we used OHs for zeros.......
>
> tonyk

Anyone for a 227 (iirc) character REM statement, filled with hand-entered
machine code?

Gary Tait
February 13th 04, 05:18 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:38:25 -0500, "Mr. Brian Allen"
> wrote:

>> Apple IIe
>> 64k ram + 64k ramdisk
>> 2x 5 1/4 floppy with 143K / side
>> green monochrome monitor.
>
>Those were great also. Remember when the IIe's came out with color monitors
>and hard floppy drives? You'd have thought the world ended.

AFAIK, colour monitors were an option.

Griffin
February 13th 04, 06:20 PM
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.

Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!

Griffin
please remove the leavemealoneat to reply

chainbreaker
February 13th 04, 06:51 PM
raj wrote:
> just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit
> smokin 1 meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy
> drives lol

Kaypro PC, one 5 1/4 floppy drive, 256K ram, guaranteed to be 99%
IBM-compatible!
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Darthy
February 14th 04, 03:01 AM
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:20:15 -0600, Griffin
> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:
>
>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>>

>Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.
>
>Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!

Well.. if I really wanted to get TECNICAL - my first "computer" whas a
TI Calculator in 1977. It had 9 RED LED characters and about 3 times
the size of my Palm Pilot.... ;)

Funny... the Pilot has more CPU Mhz and RAM than my first Amiga
Computer...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

raj
February 14th 04, 05:56 AM
now thats old school!
"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:20:15 -0600, Griffin
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:18:36 -0800, "raj" > wrote:
> >
> >>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> >>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
> >>

> >Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.
> >
> >Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!
>

> Well.. if I really wanted to get TECNICAL - my first "computer" whas a
> TI Calculator in 1977. It had 9 RED LED characters and about 3 times
> the size of my Palm Pilot.... ;)
>

> Funny... the Pilot has more CPU Mhz and RAM than my first Amiga
> Computer...
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 14th 04, 06:13 AM
I think REAL OLD SCHOOL is counting your fingers... ;)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:56:04 -0800, "raj" > wrote:

>now thats old school!
>"Darthy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:20:15 -0600, Griffin
>> > wrote:

>1
>> >>

>> >Hate to admit it but it was a TI-99/4, back in 1979.
>> >
>> >Piece of junk. I wanted to get the Sinclair but the TI was bigger!
>>

>> Well.. if I really wanted to get TECNICAL - my first "computer" whas a
>> TI Calculator in 1977. It had 9 RED LED characters and about 3 times
>> the size of my Palm Pilot.... ;)

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Hackworth
February 15th 04, 07:48 AM
TRS-80 Model III w/ cassette. Kept that one for just a couple of months as
it seemd to be more of a toy than anything else.

My first *real* computer was a ("pre-owned") Sanyo MBC-550 w/ 256*K* of RAM.
It ran at 3.67 MHz, a little slower than the original IBM PC. It was "MS-DOS
compatible" but not IBM PC hardware compatible, so I couldn't just run any
old IBM PC software on it... at least nothing that addressed video hardware
directly. Fortunately, the system came with a nice software bundle (WordStar
3.3, CalcStar and EasyWriter).

My first *serious* computer was an IBM XT/286 which, as you may expect, was
a hybrid between the IBM PC XT and the IBM PC AT. Even had a 20 MB hard
disk. Wooohoooo! That was my first system with a hard disk drive, and was I
ever amazed! Later, I put a Hercules monochrome graphics adapter in it so
that the system could render graphics and upper-ASCII characters (if the
software app supported it, of course). Also added a 3.5-inch 720K floppy
drive in 1987. Those were the days... seems like yesterday.

"BigJIm" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> Hal 9000 it was sweet.................................
> "raj" > wrote in message
> > just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin
1
> > meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Nick (no dashes)
February 15th 04, 11:55 AM
Michael Picard wrote:
> Timex sinclare 1000
> "raj" > wrote in message
>
>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Commodore Vic-20.

5k ram, but after it booted you only had 3.5k to actually program :)

I still have it incidentally, along with the ZX-81, ZX Speccy, BBC Model
B, Master, Compact and others.

Nick (no dashes)
February 15th 04, 11:56 AM
Michael Picard wrote:

> Timex sinclare 1000
> "raj" > wrote in message
>
>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol

Remember when 1k total ram was alot?

J. Clarke
February 15th 04, 01:35 PM
Nick (no dashes) wrote:

> Michael Picard wrote:
>
>> Timex sinclare 1000
>> "raj" > wrote in message
>>
>>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>>>

> Remember when 1k total ram was alot?

Remember when it was a lot for a mainframe?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Gary Tait
February 15th 04, 03:42 PM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:52 +1100, "Nick (no dashes)"
> wrote:

>Michael Picard wrote:
>> Timex sinclare 1000
>> "raj" > wrote in message
>>
>>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>>>

>Commodore Vic-20.
>
>5k ram, but after it booted you only had 3.5k to actually program :)

Actally 5.5K The firsk K was system RAM.(you could store and execute
some ML come in there, or use portions of it to store small bits of
data). The user (AKA BASIC) RAM, was 4K, with 512 bytes taken off for
the screen character ram. You also lost some if you wanted to use
custom graphics. There was aslo 1Kx4 bits for colour RAM.

>I still have it incidentally,
I have one too, I just need to get a Basic ROM for it.

> along with the ZX-81, ZX Speccy, BBC Model
>B, Master, Compact and others.

Gary Tait
February 15th 04, 03:44 PM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:48:12 -0500, "Hackworth"
> wrote:

>My first *serious* computer was an IBM XT/286 which, as you may expect, was
>a hybrid between the IBM PC XT and the IBM PC AT. Even had a 20 MB hard
>disk. Wooohoooo! That was my first system with a hard disk drive, and was I
>ever amazed! Later, I put a Hercules monochrome graphics adapter in it so
>that the system could render graphics and upper-ASCII characters (if the
>software app supported it, of course). Also added a 3.5-inch 720K floppy
>drive in 1987. Those were the days... seems like yesterday.

Was actually an AT motherboard (perhaps a custom one), in an XT case.
You had to used lower profile add-on cards, as some AT cards were too
high.

Darthy
February 16th 04, 11:55 AM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:56:39 +1100, "Nick (no dashes)"
> wrote:

>Michael Picard wrote:
>
>> Timex sinclare 1000
>> "raj" > wrote in message
>>
>>>just name your first computer you ever owned, mine was a 286 wit smokin 1
>>>meg of ram 24 meg hardrive lol and one of those new floppy drives lol
>>>

>Remember when 1k total ram was alot?

I did part time work in the early 90s at a company that had old IBM
servers - where total, this computer had about 16 mb of RAM - it was
the size of 6 refigerators - not including the DRIVES - each HD was
the size of a fridge - holding about 20mb of data.

I thought it was silly to pay for all that CRAP... when a good modern
Amiga or 386 computer(s) would be faster.

If you thought our HDs were loud, these things sounded like JET
engines when the spun up.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
February 16th 04, 12:16 PM
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:42:00 -0500, Gary Tait
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:55:52 +1100, "Nick (no dashes)"
> wrote:
>
>>Michael Picard wrote:
>>> Timex sinclare 1000

>>Commodore Vic-20.
>>
>>5k ram, but after it booted you only had 3.5k to actually program :)
>>

>Actally 5.5K The firsk K was system RAM.(you could store and execute
>some ML come in there, or use portions of it to store small bits of
>data). The user (AKA BASIC) RAM, was 4K, with 512 bytes taken off for
>the screen character ram. You also lost some if you wanted to use
>custom graphics. There was aslo 1Kx4 bits for colour RAM.
>
>>I still have it incidentally,
>I have one too, I just need to get a Basic ROM for it.

Snif... I WISH I still had MY Vic20 TODAY!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

OLD Computer I still have in my closet!

- Commodore 128 and 1571 (I assume they still work, havent powered
them up in 5+ years) I wouldn't know how to USE IT ANYMORE!!!

- Commodore +4 (DEAD - lost my working one, helping someone)
This was really A COOL PC for 1984, it HAD 128 colors!!! Too bad
they didn't cross those graphcs over to the C128.

- Amiga 1000 (1.5 units) - one is working + 2mb card ($1200 when new)

- Amiga 3000 (5mb) - works, needs battery.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

TELTRAIN
February 18th 04, 03:10 AM
Atari 800 with 48K and a Atari 410 tape cassette to load and save programs.

John DeDourek
February 19th 04, 03:47 AM
Boroughs 220. Console with hundreds of blinking lights. (They
liked to use the consoles from this computer in Sci-Fi movies in
the late 60's.) Computer was based on several hundred radio
(vacuum) tubes.