PDA

View Full Version : Early NV40 specs emerge

NV55
January 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

quote:
Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
unit.

They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
thought it might have been.

MuFu.

John Reynolds
January 23rd 04, 12:16 AM
"NV55" > wrote in message
om...
> Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

> quote:
-----
> Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
> give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
> work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
> it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
> as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
> NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
> current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
> improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
> unit.
>
> They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
> thought it might have been.
>
> MuFu.
-----

A fill rate monster with massive bandwidth. . .someone wants the performance
crown back. I can't wait until these new chips are announced.

John

i'm_tired
January 23rd 04, 01:22 AM
John Reynolds wrote:
> "NV55" > wrote in message
> om...
<snip>

> A fill rate monster with massive bandwidth. . .someone wants the
> performance
> crown back. I can't wait until these new chips are announced.

In fact, it might be worth waiting for. Rumors are seldom accurate about
anything. Setting that aside, and considering that the 6-month product
cycle for both major manufacturers seems to be dead: Looking at current and
up-coming games (and also considering the HL2 delays and still a several
months away Doom3), those who chose to skip this generation of cards made
good decisions.

There isn't a game out there that can't be played on a TI-4200 with a good
processor behind it. In fact, the majority of titles available in retail
can be played at good resolutions with acceptable framerates with GeForce 3
class equipment. I suppose that no matter how long a person waits or how
soon they adopt the newest gear, there is always something faster, better,
and more feature-rich waiting just over the horizon.... At this juncture,
though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a new
product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next to be
well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.

Darthy
January 23rd 04, 05:52 AM
On 22 Jan 2004 13:46:54 -0800, (NV55) wrote:

>Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.
>
>http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
>

>quote:
>Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
>give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
>work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
>it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
>as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
>NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
>current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
>improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
>unit.
>
>They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
>thought it might have been.
>
>MuFu.

Until the NV40 sees the light of day, its just rumors and
speculation... much like the fx5800.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

v56k
January 23rd 04, 10:06 AM
NV55 wrote:

> Credit goes to MuFu at The Beyond 3D Forum.
>
> http://www.beyond3d.com/forum
viewtopic.php?t=9879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

> quote:

> Remember that it has 175 million transistors and nV have seen fit to
> give it 50GB/sec+ memory bandwidth. Current rumours are that it can
> work on 4 quads in certain situations. That would seem to suggest that
> it's an 8x2/16x0 design (in the same way that NV35 can be thought of
> as 4x2/8x0) and may have approximately twice the pixel throughput of
> NV35, per clock. I've heard that PS performance is already well above
> current parts, even on the A0 samples. VS shows less of an
> improvement; maybe they have just incorporated a single, extra VS
> unit.
>
> They might ramp with A1; it's apparently not as clock-limited as they
> thought it might have been.
>
> MuFu.

Don't start getting your dicks out just yet - remember the hype on this NG
about the 5800.....

Dan
January 23rd 04, 06:58 PM
v56k wrote
Don't start getting your dicks out just yet - remember the hype on this NG
about the 5800.....

I agree. LOL. Remeber some speculation about how it was going to be able to
act like a second cpu in a computer. That never did happen!?!

Dan

Michael Clark
January 24th 04, 12:46 AM
"i'm_tired" > wrote:
At this juncture,
> though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a
new
> product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
> supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
> anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next to
be
> well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.

I tend to agree. I have a 4200. While it's feeling a little dated, but it
plays games just fine. My worry is that even if NV40 comes out resonably
quickly, it will still take 3 months for its price to be reasonably
attainable. Which pushes my video card upgrade out ... what? .... 8-10
months? D3 and HL2 may have been out for 3 or 4 months, and I'll be itching
to play them. I doubt my TI4200 will be able to do those games justice.
And I have a P4 3.2 ghz.

Another question is: will NV40 be PCI Express only? AGP is being fazed out
you know... I don't want my $450 NV40 to require me to spend $150 on a new
MB.

We'll see -- I'm hold out *for now.*

Mike

John Reynolds
January 24th 04, 01:22 AM
"Michael Clark" > wrote in message

> "i'm_tired" > wrote:
> At this juncture,
> > though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a
> new
> > product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
> > supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
> > anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next
> be
> > well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.
>
> I tend to agree. I have a 4200. While it's feeling a little dated, but
it
> plays games just fine. My worry is that even if NV40 comes out resonably
> quickly, it will still take 3 months for its price to be reasonably
> attainable. Which pushes my video card upgrade out ... what? .... 8-10
> months? D3 and HL2 may have been out for 3 or 4 months, and I'll be
itching
> to play them. I doubt my TI4200 will be able to do those games justice.
> And I have a P4 3.2 ghz.
>
> Another question is: will NV40 be PCI Express only? AGP is being fazed
out
> you know... I don't want my $450 NV40 to require me to spend $150 on a
new
> MB.
>
> We'll see -- I'm hold out *for now.*
>
> Mike

No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either company
or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?

John

Michael Clark
January 24th 04, 01:40 AM
"John Reynolds" > wrote:
> No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either
> company or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?
>
> John

That's what I tried to tell my friend. He seemed convinced that the
PCI Express backers will be putting pressure on the video card
manufacturers to use the their latest chipsets to push people into
upgrading to PCI Express.

I tend to agree with you though :-)

John Reynolds
January 24th 04, 01:54 AM
"Michael Clark" > wrote in message
> "John Reynolds" > wrote:
> > No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either
> > company or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?
> >
> > John
>
> That's what I tried to tell my friend. He seemed convinced that the
> PCI Express backers will be putting pressure on the video card
> manufacturers to use the their latest chipsets to push people into
> upgrading to PCI Express.
>
> I tend to agree with you though :-)

Way too large an installed base of AGP motherboards out there. When is
Grantsdale now due out? There will be Express boards from both companies,
either supported natively or through a bridge chip.

John

Darthy
January 24th 04, 12:45 PM
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:22:52 GMT, "John Reynolds"
> wrote:

>> Mike
>
>No way NV40 or R420 are going to PCI Express only. Why would either company
>or their AIBs kill their potential market like that?

Yep... seriously **** off a lot of people.... the hard core people
MAKE sure they have AGP cards. And when they DO upgrade to
BTX/PCI-EX, they're going to have to upgrade their video cards again
anyways.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

tq96
January 24th 04, 04:39 PM
> There isn't a game out there that can't be played on a TI-4200 with a
> good processor behind it. In fact, the majority of titles available

The main reason I'm itching to upgrade from a GF4 is to actually be able to
use FSAA. (The other being able to ditch the shoddy Philips tv-out chip,
but this is twice I've been screwed by NVidia tv-out, so who knows.)

Falkentyne
January 25th 04, 07:47 PM
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:46:20 GMT, "Michael Clark" >
enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:

>"i'm_tired" > wrote:
>At this juncture,
>> though, with the current video technology seeming to be aging towards a
>new
>> product cycle, and with delays keeping some of the
>> supposedly-hardware-intensive game titles out of consumer hands, I think
>> anyone with GeForce 4 class cards would probably find whatever is next to
>be
>> well worth waiting for instead of upgrading now.
>
>I tend to agree. I have a 4200. While it's feeling a little dated, but it
>plays games just fine. My worry is that even if NV40 comes out resonably
>quickly, it will still take 3 months for its price to be reasonably
>attainable. Which pushes my video card upgrade out ... what? .... 8-10
>months? D3 and HL2 may have been out for 3 or 4 months, and I'll be itching
>to play them. I doubt my TI4200 will be able to do those games justice.
>And I have a P4 3.2 ghz.
>
>Another question is: will NV40 be PCI Express only? AGP is being fazed out
>you know... I don't want my $450 NV40 to require me to spend $150 on a new
>MB.
>
>We'll see -- I'm hold out *for now.*
>
>Mike

The last I heard, they will come with a PCI-X to AGP bridge adapter of
some sort, which will make them compatible with both. Not sure if
that means the SAME card will be compatible on both slots, or if it
will need 2 versions....

<Gibs> When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament
it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent",
in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"