PDA

View Full Version : FX5200 causing 3.3 Voltage to drop

Tal Fucus
January 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

I just installed a new Inno3D FX5200 128MB card, replacing an old GF2 MX400
one.
When I play 3D games (Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942...) the 3.3 Voltage
is getting low, and dropping bellow 3.0V
My system is Celeron 1700, ASUS MB with SiS chipsets.
I never had similar problem with the old GF2 MX400 card nor with GF4 MX440
one.
Any idea ?
What does it mean ?

Thanks,
Tal

DaveL
January 22nd 04, 09:17 PM
It could be a crappy power supply. I saw this same thing on an Abit system.
The power supply was bad causing the 3.3 volts to go low and the thing would
intermittently reboot and sometimes not boot up. A new power supply fixed
it.

Dave

"Tal Fucus" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a new Inno3D FX5200 128MB card, replacing an old GF2
MX400
> one.
> When I play 3D games (Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942...) the 3.3 Voltage
> is getting low, and dropping bellow 3.0V
> My system is Celeron 1700, ASUS MB with SiS chipsets.
> I never had similar problem with the old GF2 MX400 card nor with GF4 MX440
> one.
> Any idea ?
> What does it mean ?
>
> Thanks,
> Tal

Tal Fucus
January 22nd 04, 10:10 PM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
> It could be a crappy power supply. I saw this same thing on an Abit
system.
> The power supply was bad causing the 3.3 volts to go low and the thing
would
> intermittently reboot and sometimes not boot up. A new power supply fixed
> it.
>
> Dave

Thanks for the reply,
I suspect it is a power supply problem. The system does not reboot, but I do
get sometimes errors while booting.
Will leaving it as is effect the system in any way ?

Tal

> "Tal Fucus" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just installed a new Inno3D FX5200 128MB card, replacing an old GF2
> MX400
> > one.
> > When I play 3D games (Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942...) the 3.3
Voltage
> > is getting low, and dropping bellow 3.0V
> > My system is Celeron 1700, ASUS MB with SiS chipsets.
> > I never had similar problem with the old GF2 MX400 card nor with GF4
MX440
> > one.
> > Any idea ?
> > What does it mean ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tal

Dark Avenger
January 23rd 04, 02:15 AM
"Tal Fucus" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a new Inno3D FX5200 128MB card, replacing an old GF2 MX400
> one.
> When I play 3D games (Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942...) the 3.3 Voltage
> is getting low, and dropping bellow 3.0V
> My system is Celeron 1700, ASUS MB with SiS chipsets.
> I never had similar problem with the old GF2 MX400 card nor with GF4 MX440
> one.
> Any idea ?
> What does it mean ?
>
> Thanks,
> Tal

Weak PSU?

Maybe your Power Supply Unit is dying!

Dark Avenger
January 23rd 04, 01:37 PM
"Tal Fucus" > wrote in message >...
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
> > It could be a crappy power supply. I saw this same thing on an Abit
> system.
> > The power supply was bad causing the 3.3 volts to go low and the thing
> would
> > intermittently reboot and sometimes not boot up. A new power supply fixed
> > it.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Thanks for the reply,
> I suspect it is a power supply problem. The system does not reboot, but I do
> get sometimes errors while booting.
> Will leaving it as is effect the system in any way ?
>
> Tal
>

> > "Tal Fucus" > wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just installed a new Inno3D FX5200 128MB card, replacing an old GF2
> MX400
> > > one.
> > > When I play 3D games (Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942...) the 3.3
> Voltage
> > > is getting low, and dropping bellow 3.0V
> > > My system is Celeron 1700, ASUS MB with SiS chipsets.
> > > I never had similar problem with the old GF2 MX400 card nor with GF4
> MX440
> > > one.
> > > Any idea ?
> > > What does it mean ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tal

If it is your weak PSU, then within a few days it will "break" and an
energy spike will roast your motherboard, probably also your cpu and
maybe even your harddisks!

Tal Fucus
January 23rd 04, 09:22 PM
"Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tal Fucus" > wrote in message
> > "DaveL" > wrote in message
> > > It could be a crappy power supply. I saw this same thing on an Abit
> > system.
> > > The power supply was bad causing the 3.3 volts to go low and the thing
> > would
> > > intermittently reboot and sometimes not boot up. A new power supply
fixed
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > Thanks for the reply,
> > I suspect it is a power supply problem. The system does not reboot, but
I do
> > get sometimes errors while booting.
> > Will leaving it as is effect the system in any way ?
> >
> > Tal

GF2
> > MX400
> > Voltage
> > MX440

> If it is your weak PSU, then within a few days it will "break" and an
> energy spike will roast your motherboard, probably also your cpu and
> maybe even your harddisks!

:-)

Will it roast my screen and printer too ?

Tal

Fred
January 23rd 04, 10:53 PM
"Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
om...
> If it is your weak PSU, then within a few days it will "break" and an
> energy spike will roast your motherboard, probably also your cpu and
> maybe even your harddisks!

Highly unlikely.

Tal Fucus
January 27th 04, 07:24 PM
Thanks to all the help.
Replaced the PSU with a good 400w one, and it lookes OK :-)

Tal