PDA

View Full Version : OT?: Best Disk Defrag Software

bigmike
January 21st 04, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the drive
is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial versions
and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?

Mike

Bob
January 21st 04, 10:11 PM
I like Perfect Disk 6.0...seems to be more thorough and it's what a lot of
the MS MVP's have been recommending . You can get a 30 day trial at:
http://www.raxco.com/
They claim that it does in one pass what Diskeeper takes to do over a period
of time. I've had excellent results with it and purchased a copy.
HTH,
Bob
"bigmike" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hi,
>
> I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
> If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
> Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the
drive
> is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
> will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
> you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial
versions
> and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
> just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?
>
> Mike

Patch
January 21st 04, 10:15 PM
"bigmike" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hi,
>
> I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
> If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
> Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the
drive
> is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
> will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
> you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial
versions
> and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
> just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?
>
> Mike

Diskeeper is a keeper!

BelaLvgosi
January 22nd 04, 12:58 AM
"Patch" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "bigmike" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP
Pro.
> > If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then
use
> > Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the
> drive
> > is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper,
Diskeeper
> > will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one
do
> > you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial
> versions
> > and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job
or
> > just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Diskeeper is a keeper!

PerfectDisk, as it optimizes swap file position (putting it in the middle of
the disk) unlike Diskeeper that only defrags it and throws it in the first
available space it sees.

Darkfalz
January 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
> PerfectDisk, as it optimizes swap file position (putting it in the middle
of
> the disk) unlike Diskeeper that only defrags it and throws it in the first
> available space it sees.

Optimal is putting it at the START of the disc, where the disc is fastest.

Asestar
January 23rd 04, 12:39 AM
I used SystemMechanic 4. It was on trial, but i think It did a very good
job. It has 2 modes, 1 fast, and 1 optimal. Optimal one puts data on start
of disk, if i remember.

"bigmike" > wrote in message
. net...
> Hi,
>
> I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using XP Pro.
> If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is done) and then use
> Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long while before it says the
drive
> is defragmented. If I run Norton first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper
> will only run a short while and then say the drive is done. Which one do
> you guys think does a more thorough job because mine are both trial
versions
> and I have to pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or
> just take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?
>
> Mike

~misfit~
January 23rd 04, 11:43 PM
Patch wrote:
> "bigmike" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Diskeeper and Norton Systemworks 2003 on my PC. I am using
>> XP Pro. If I defrag with Diskeeper (which will tell me drive is
>> done) and then use Norton Speedisk, Norton will run for a long
>> while before it says the drive is defragmented. If I run Norton
>> first and then use Diskeeper, Diskeeper will only run a short while
>> and then say the drive is done. Which one do you guys think does a
>> more thorough job because mine are both trial versions and I have to
>> pay for one sooner or later. Does Norton do a better job or just
>> take a lot longer than Diskeeper to do the same thing?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Diskeeper is a keeper!

Gotta agree there. I've tried both Diskeeper and Speedisk extensively and
noticed no discernable difference in performance after using either. In fact
Speedisk actually destroyed a couple of my older HDDs (8-10GB), I used it
frequently and it thrashes the **** out of the disk, causing waaaay more
wear'n'tear than the disk would see during normal use. After a while I ended
up with bad sectors all over the place, something which didn't happen with
identical HDDs I didn't use Speedisk with.

JME.

I no longer install Norton Systemworks '03 on my machines.
--
~misfit~