PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fans problems

JC
January 21st 04, 05:25 AM
hi
I have this Asylum FX5900 (NU) , it seems to be working, but I noticed that now when I
start playing my game, UT2k3, the cooling fans will stop working!! This is recent
behavior, the drivers are 53.03 and speeds are stock! OS is WinXP Pro.
Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ??
TIA

JC

Robert Gault
January 21st 04, 05:55 AM
JC wrote:

> hi
> I have this Asylum FX5900 (NU) , it seems to be working, but I noticed that now when I
> start playing my game, UT2k3, the cooling fans will stop working!! This is recent
> behavior, the drivers are 53.03 and speeds are stock! OS is WinXP Pro.
> Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ??
> TIA
>
> JC

Perhaps a marginal power supply. When the video card is going full
blast, it may not be able to power the fan.

JC
January 21st 04, 06:03 AM
Thank you Robert, the PSU is not the problem I think, it is an Enermax 435 watts.
But I did installed a newer set of driver, 53.04 and it seems to have fixed the problem.
But thank you for taking your time to answer.
Cheers

JC

"Robert Gault" > wrote in message
| JC wrote:
|
| > hi
| > I have this Asylum FX5900 (NU) , it seems to be working, but I noticed that now when I
| > start playing my game, UT2k3, the cooling fans will stop working!! This is recent
| > behavior, the drivers are 53.03 and speeds are stock! OS is WinXP Pro.
| > Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ??
| > TIA
| >
| > JC

| > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
|
| Perhaps a marginal power supply. When the video card is going full
| blast, it may not be able to power the fan.

J. Clarke
January 21st 04, 02:56 PM
JC wrote:

> Thank you Robert, the PSU is not the problem I think, it is an Enermax 435
> watts. But I did installed a newer set of driver, 53.04 and it seems to
> have fixed the problem. But thank you for taking your time to answer.
> Cheers

Do ALL the fans quit working or just the fan on the video board? I'm
curioius about this as I can't imagine any software problem that would shut
down all the cooling fans in a machine. Of course I don't run my fans off
the motherboard . . .

> JC
>
> "Robert Gault" > wrote in message
> | JC wrote:
> |
> | > hi
> | > I have this Asylum FX5900 (NU) , it seems to be working, but I noticed
> | > that now when I start playing my game, UT2k3, the cooling fans will
> | > stop working!! This is recent behavior, the drivers are 53.03 and
> | > speeds are stock! OS is WinXP Pro. Any idea what could be causing this
> | > and how to fix it ?? TIA
> | >
> | > JC

> | > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> | > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
> |
> | Perhaps a marginal power supply. When the video card is going full
> | blast, it may not be able to power the fan.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

JC
January 21st 04, 04:20 PM
J. it was only the video card fans that stoped. I always keep my computer side door off,
and wihle playing I noticed the FPS getting real slow, quick look and fan are not working
(noticed easy since this card, Asylum has blue leds on each fan). Only reboor would get
them back running. Now with the new drivers it seems ok. I am guessing the drivers got
corrupted somehow ??

JC

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message

| Do ALL the fans quit working or just the fan on the video board? I'm
| curioius about this as I can't imagine any software problem that would shut
| down all the cooling fans in a machine. Of course I don't run my fans off
| the motherboard . . .
| >

| > | JC wrote:
| > |
> [...]

J. Clarke
January 21st 04, 04:53 PM
JC wrote:

> J. it was only the video card fans that stoped. I always keep my computer
> side door off, and wihle playing I noticed the FPS getting real slow,
> quick look and fan are not working (noticed easy since this card, Asylum
> has blue leds on each fan). Only reboor would get them back running. Now
> with the new drivers it seems ok. I am guessing the drivers got corrupted
> somehow ??

Probably. Hope it keeps working.

> JC
>
> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>
> | Do ALL the fans quit working or just the fan on the video board? I'm
> | curioius about this as I can't imagine any software problem that would
> | shut
> | down all the cooling fans in a machine. Of course I don't run my fans
> | off the motherboard . . .

> | > |

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL
January 21st 04, 10:04 PM
There was a driver problem when using 4.xx with the higher powered FX cards
where the fan would shut down when a 3d screensaver was run. I believe
Nvidia fixed that issue with the 5.xx drivers though. Still, it might be a
driver issue. You might try reseating the card and reloading the video
driver.

Dave

"JC" > wrote in message
> hi
> I have this Asylum FX5900 (NU) , it seems to be working, but I noticed
that now when I
> start playing my game, UT2k3, the cooling fans will stop working!! This is
recent
> behavior, the drivers are 53.03 and speeds are stock! OS is WinXP Pro.
> Any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it ??
> TIA
>
> JC

Dedet
February 10th 04, 07:14 AM
hello
If the fan is using a 2 pin connector and not worried about noise you can
just hook it up to a fan spliter cable so you can be sure it is working 100%