PDA

View Full Version : Installing on linux -- newbie

Brad McNeely
January 19th 04, 03:06 AM
I'm sure this is probably the million-th time this has come up. I've done
some google-ing but can't seem to find my problem. I'm running SuSE 8.2
Professional and am trying to install this package I downloaded from the
NVIDIA site:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run
I successfully switch to run level 3 and run the installer, however I get a
message that nvidia.o is missing. I've checked using find as root and it
isn't there. What package(s) do I need to obtain this file? I do have the
kernel-source package installed. I've looked through the README from the
NVIDIA web site and it reference something close to this, but it expects
the error to happen after a special kernel has been built. I'm failing on
the kernel build because it can't find nvidia.o. Any and all help is
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brad

Stephan Laske
January 19th 04, 12:12 PM
Brad McNeely schrieb:
> I'm sure this is probably the million-th time this has come up. I've done
> some google-ing but can't seem to find my problem. I'm running SuSE 8.2
> Professional and am trying to install this package I downloaded from the
> NVIDIA site:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run
> I successfully switch to run level 3 and run the installer, however I get a
> message that nvidia.o is missing. I've checked using find as root and it
> isn't there. What package(s) do I need to obtain this file? I do have the
> kernel-source package installed. I've looked through the README from the
> NVIDIA web site and it reference something close to this, but it expects
> the error to happen after a special kernel has been built. I'm failing on
> the kernel build because it can't find nvidia.o. Any and all help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Brad
And do not forget to set the right driver in your XF86config file.
Instead nv use nvidia!

Stephan

The Black Wibble
January 19th 04, 08:38 PM
Brad McNeely wrote:
> I'm sure this is probably the million-th time this has come up. I've done
> some google-ing but can't seem to find my problem. I'm running SuSE 8.2
> Professional and am trying to install this package I downloaded from the
> NVIDIA site:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run
> I successfully switch to run level 3 and run the installer, however I get a
> message that nvidia.o is missing. I've checked using find as root and it
> isn't there. What package(s) do I need to obtain this file? I do have the
> kernel-source package installed. I've looked through the README from the
> NVIDIA web site and it reference something close to this, but it expects
> the error to happen after a special kernel has been built. I'm failing on
> the kernel build because it can't find nvidia.o. Any and all help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

nvidio.o gets created by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run package. In
your case it failed. Just in case there are some remnants of a failed
driver installation attempt lying about. As the root user drop down to
runlevel 3: telinit 3, and enter: nvidia-installer --uninstall, then do:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run

1) Accept license
2) No to downloading interface
3) OK to begin compiling the interface.
4) After compiling an installing the interface and driver you should get
the message "Installation of NVIDIA yadda yadda... has completed.
5) telinit 5

If you never made it to 4) what does /var/log/nvidia-installer.log show?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (15 x 200MHz)

To email me replace org.nz with net.nz

Brad McNeely
January 19th 04, 10:08 PM
OK. I got the driver to install today. I know it's installed because I'm
getting the nvidia splash screen on boot up. However, when I run SaX2 and
try to enable the 3D features, I get a message that states:
Cannot enable OpenGL acceleration
To activate the 3D subsystem for this card you need to use the commercial
driver from nVidia. Well, that's what I thought I had done.

Here is the output of hwinfo --gfxcard.
PCI(AGP) 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.65]
Unique ID: ul7N.rEgSObS9Kp5
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64"
Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
Device: pci 0x002d "RIVA TNT2 Model 64"
Revision: 0x15
Memory Range: 0xf5000000-??? (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xfc000000-??? (rw,prefetchable)
IRQ: 18 (43413 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Driver Info #0:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nv
Driver Info #1:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nvidia
3D Support: yes
Color Depths: 16
Extensions: glx
Driver Info #2:
XFree86 v3 Server: SVGA
Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=yes
Attached to: #11 (PCI bridge)

Any thoughts? I did change the Driver line in /etc/X11/XF86Config to be
nvidia instead of nv.

Regards,
Brad

The Black Wibble
January 19th 04, 11:23 PM
"Brad McNeely" > wrote in message ...
> OK. I got the driver to install today. I know it's installed because I'm
> getting the nvidia splash screen on boot up. However, when I run SaX2 and
> try to enable the 3D features, I get a message that states:
> Cannot enable OpenGL acceleration
> To activate the 3D subsystem for this card you need to use the commercial
> driver from nVidia. Well, that's what I thought I had done.

This is the "Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SuSE Linux users"
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/suse/suse/i386/supplementary/X/XFree86/nvidia-installer-HOWTO

This part is relevant to you:

II. SuSE Linux 8.2
SuSE Linux Desktop (SLD)
----------------------------

1) Kernel sources must be installed and configured. Usually this means
installing the 'kernel-source' package with YaST2, update it - if not
already done - via YaST2 Online Update (YOU) and configure it then
with the following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig && make dep

2) Use the nvidia installer for 1.0-5328.

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run

3) Configure XFree86 with

sax2 -m 0=nvidia (0 is a digit, not a letter!)

NOTE: There is no need to try to enable 3D support. It's already
enabled, when the nvidia driver is running. Ignore the
misleading error message, that 3D support can't be enabled.
This problem will be fixed with SuSE > 9.0 and is related to the
latest nvidia driver release.
---------

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Brad McNeely
January 20th 04, 01:56 AM
OK. So we think I've got it installed properly if I read that correctly.
If that's the case then I have a few final questions:
1. Why does hwinfo --gfxcard show two drivers the old nv and the new nvidia
Driver Info #0:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nv
Driver Info #1:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nvidia
2. I'm a little bothered by the output from 3Ddiag. It indicates the driver
installed failed, even though it appears in hwinfo and I get the nvidia
splash at startup
3Ddiag version 0.691
Verifying 3D configuration:
Using 3dinfo

Verifying 3D configuration based on XFree86 4 for 3D board
"nVidia Corporation RIVA TNT2 Model 64 ([email protected])":

Verifying driver installation:
nvidia ... failed!
======================= !!! WARNING !!! ========================
Due to license issues only a Dummy Nvidia 2D/3D driver with
Software 3D/OpenGL rendering is provided. Please download
the official 2D/3D Nvidia driver from the nVidia webserver
(http://www.nvidia.com), if you want to use 3D hardware
accelerated 3D/OpenGL.

Tests for correct OpenGL libraries/GLX extensions:

Test for correct XFree86 version ... done.

Tests for XFree86 configuration:
Config File /etc/X11/XF86Config ... done.
Driver ... done.
Color Depth ... done.
Extensions ... done.
Options ... done.

If 3D hardware OpenGL configuration is not stable enough, you
should switch back to 'Mesa Software Rendering'. You can
verify this configuration with the command "3Ddiag --mesasoft".

Checking GLU/glut runtime configuration:
GLU ... done (package mesaglu)
glut ... done (package mesaglut)
Regards,
Brad