PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading 5200 to 5600?


Bobby
January 16th 04, 08:25 PM
My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my own
PC to an FX5600.

Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better) since
these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a 5600
for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?

Cheers.

Bobby

RL
January 16th 04, 08:51 PM
If her computer is slow you may be upgrading the wrong device. But if you
need a reason to upgrade then that's a horse of a different color.


"Bobby" > wrote in message
...
> My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
> FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my
own
> PC to an FX5600.
>
> Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better)
since
> these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a 5600
> for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby
>
>
>

Bobby
January 16th 04, 10:08 PM
Her PC is bottlenecked by both CPU (Athlon 1200) and graphics (old nVidia 2
MX card). Her RAM is OK (380Mb) I can't afford new mobo, CPU, RAM and cooler
so graphics is the way to go.

If I give her my FX5200 I'm pretty sure that that will boost her PC
significantly (for DVD playback and games) but I don't know if I'll notice
the difference if I upgrade from my current FX5200 to an FX5600.

"RL" > wrote in message
...
> If her computer is slow you may be upgrading the wrong device. But if you
> need a reason to upgrade then that's a horse of a different color.
>
>
> "Bobby" > wrote in message
> ...
> > My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
> > FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my
> own
> > PC to an FX5600.
> >
> > Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better)
> since
> > these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a
5600
> > for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Bobby
> >
> >
> >
>
>

Daniel
January 16th 04, 10:58 PM
Bang for the Buck or Pound, a used GF4 4200 might
may be the way to go

Daniel

"Bobby" > wrote in message
...
> Her PC is bottlenecked by both CPU (Athlon 1200) and graphics (old nVidia
2
> MX card). Her RAM is OK (380Mb) I can't afford new mobo, CPU, RAM and
cooler
> so graphics is the way to go.
>
> If I give her my FX5200 I'm pretty sure that that will boost her PC
> significantly (for DVD playback and games) but I don't know if I'll notice
> the difference if I upgrade from my current FX5200 to an FX5600.
>
> "RL" > wrote in message
> ...
> > If her computer is slow you may be upgrading the wrong device. But if
you
> > need a reason to upgrade then that's a horse of a different color.
> >
> >
> > "Bobby" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her
my
> > > FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading
my
> > own
> > > PC to an FX5600.
> > >
> > > Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better)
> > since
> > > these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a
> 5600
> > > for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Bobby
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

Lee
January 16th 04, 10:59 PM
The GPU core on 5600 has an extra 125mhz over the 5200 and the memory has an
extra 150mhz over the 5200 so it should be a difference running at higher
resolutions i would guess.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:25:49 -0000, "Bobby" > wrote:

>:>My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
>:>FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my own
>:>PC to an FX5600.
>:>
>:>Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better) since
>:>these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a 5600
>:>for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
>:>
>:>Cheers.
>:>
>:>Bobby
>:>

-----
Lee.

dino
January 17th 04, 01:19 AM
A g4Ti4200 is a better performer than an FX5600..I upgraded to an FX5600 and
was extremly disappointed,,I kept it a week and got rid of it..my ti4200 was
a better card..my kids run it and I switched to an ATI 9600XT.

Darthy
January 17th 04, 01:24 PM
Please look at this:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=2

It shows you how the cards compare. Get the Ti4200 while you can.
But these are becoming RARE... if you get a 5600, make sure its at
least the PRO model - then its about as fast as the almost 2 year old
Ti4200 (But is faster in some games) the regular 5600 is easily slower
than the Ti4200... and the 5600-xt maybe slower than your 5200.

Wow... glad these model numbers make sense!

I like to show on this page for performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=23

Her PC isn't too bad, the 5200 is like a GF3 card, unless its the
64bit memory version (not same as 64mb) - then its about as fast as a
GF2 card.

What is YOUR hardware? If youre an AMD 2000(ish) then a 5600Pro
would do wonders for you (if you cant get the cheaper Ti4200)


On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:08:03 -0000, "Bobby" > wrote:

>Her PC is bottlenecked by both CPU (Athlon 1200) and graphics (old nVidia 2
>MX card). Her RAM is OK (380Mb) I can't afford new mobo, CPU, RAM and cooler
>so graphics is the way to go.
>
>If I give her my FX5200 I'm pretty sure that that will boost her PC
>significantly (for DVD playback and games) but I don't know if I'll notice
>the difference if I upgrade from my current FX5200 to an FX5600.
>
>"RL" > wrote in message
...
>> If her computer is slow you may be upgrading the wrong device. But if you
>> need a reason to upgrade then that's a horse of a different color.
>>
>>
>> "Bobby" > wrote in message
>> ...
>> > My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
>> > FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my
>> own
>> > PC to an FX5600.
>> >
>> > Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better)
>> since
>> > these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a
>5600
>> > for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Mike P
January 17th 04, 04:36 PM
ATI numbering is just as bad, the 8500 became the 9100, which is faster than
the 9200. And they have SE models; the 9800se is no faster than the
9600pro, which is slower than the 9500pro...
Mike

"Darthy" > wrote in message
...
> Please look at this:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=2
>
> It shows you how the cards compare. Get the Ti4200 while you can.
> But these are becoming RARE... if you get a 5600, make sure its at
> least the PRO model - then its about as fast as the almost 2 year old
> Ti4200 (But is faster in some games) the regular 5600 is easily slower
> than the Ti4200... and the 5600-xt maybe slower than your 5200.
>
> Wow... glad these model numbers make sense!
>
> I like to show on this page for performance:
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=23
>
> Her PC isn't too bad, the 5200 is like a GF3 card, unless its the
> 64bit memory version (not same as 64mb) - then its about as fast as a
> GF2 card.
>
> What is YOUR hardware? If youre an AMD 2000(ish) then a 5600Pro
> would do wonders for you (if you cant get the cheaper Ti4200)
>
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:08:03 -0000, "Bobby" > wrote:
>
> >Her PC is bottlenecked by both CPU (Athlon 1200) and graphics (old nVidia
2
> >MX card). Her RAM is OK (380Mb) I can't afford new mobo, CPU, RAM and
cooler
> >so graphics is the way to go.
> >
> >If I give her my FX5200 I'm pretty sure that that will boost her PC
> >significantly (for DVD playback and games) but I don't know if I'll
notice
> >the difference if I upgrade from my current FX5200 to an FX5600.
> >
> >"RL" > wrote in message
> ...
> >> If her computer is slow you may be upgrading the wrong device. But if
you
> >> need a reason to upgrade then that's a horse of a different color.
> >>
> >>
> >> "Bobby" > wrote in message
> >> ...
> >> > My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her
my
> >> > FX5200 gfx card. But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading
my
> >> own
> >> > PC to an FX5600.
> >> >
> >> > Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better)
> >> since
> >> > these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a
> >5600
> >> > for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
>
>
> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 18th 04, 02:10 PM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:36:37 GMT, "Mike P" >
wrote:

>ATI numbering is just as bad, the 8500 became the 9100, which is faster than
>the 9200. And they have SE models; the 9800se is no faster than the
>9600pro, which is slower than the 9500pro...
>Mike

Its not great, but its not as bad as Nvidia...

Take note, the some are re-flashing their 9800se to 9800np.

The 9500 was a hold-over of the 9700, as a gamer - its a great card,
for a company - its not good as it hurts their 9700 sales since it
can't be FLASHED into a 9700.

As of today, the 9600Pro is a few FPS slower than the 9500Pro. 2fps
difference, you're not going to notice... but somtimes FASTER than the
9500 - again, by a few fps. So in reality, its pretty much the same.
It saves ATi money, smaller chip, smaller card, and eventually - lower
price to us.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

ATI: (CURRENT) - all cards are 128mb unless noted.

9800XT
9800Pro
9800
9800se (gag, about same as 9600)
9600XT
9600pro 256mb
9600pro
9600
9600se (Slower than 9000Pro / 64bit)
9200Pro
9200
9200se
9200se - 64mb
9200se - PCI version
7000 (PCI Market - extra low end) = Sub $50 card market. ($30 avg)

AIW (All In Wonders - TV Tunner cards)
AIW 9800pro / AIW9600PRO / AIW9000Pro

TOTAL : 15 card types + 3 VIVO-Tuner class varients
(Warning - some venders sell cheaper 9800Pros with bit slower memory)
(9800Pro-256mb was replaced with 256mb default 9800XT)
PS: Power Color seems to be the ONLY company making odd ball 256mb
versions of the 9600-np and 9200.

Nvidia (CURRENT) - all cards are 128mb unless noted.

5950Ultra
5900Ultra - 256mb
5900Ultra
5900 - 256mb
5900
5900xt
5700Ultra
5700 - 256mb
5700
5600Ultra
5600 - 256mb
5600
5600xt - 256mb
5600xt
5600xt -64bit
5200Ultra
5200 - 256mb
5200
5200 - 64bit
5200 - 64bit 64mb
5200 - 64bit PCI
5200 - 64bit PCI 64mb
GF4 MX440 (and or PCI) = AVG = $60
GF4 MX440se (over clocked version of 420mx)
GF2 MX (and or PCI) = AVG $30
MX4000 - unknown, recently appeared * Read "MX4K note" below

TOTAL: 26 cards types + 3 VIVO-Tuner class varients.

PS: InnoVision is the ONLY company making a PCI version of the fx5600.
(I didn't count PCI version of non GF5/FX series of cards - these
cards are still easy to find and sold in major locatons: CompUSA/Wal
Mart / Best Buy - While TI4x00 cards are gone. Nvidia is keeping hold
of the $30~50 market.

NOTE: 7 versions of the 5200, 4 of them them with the same name "5200"
which you may NOT know which you are getting.

NOTE: All 256mb versions of (besides 5900) are not ULTRAs. Many of
these 256 vesions cost more than the Ultras. A 5200-256mb can cost
more than a 5600 (128bit)

MX NOTE: unknown chip , recently appeared - XFX / MSI / Gainward /
Chaintech / eVGA / Gigabyte / Jaton / ASUS sell this for $50~75. IT
doesn't. MSI put it below the MX440. It does NOT appear to exisit on
Nvidia's website. My guess, its a cheaper version of the mx420?
It's an NV18 core / 64bit / single video output / 275mhz core/ 183mhz
clk (364Mhz DDR) So it seems they the 440mx/5200-64bit were not
slowe and cheap enough... its a 64bit 440mx (which is what a 420 is).


NOTE: Consider this, of the FX AGP line, Nvidia has 10 cards that are
SLOWER than a $75 Ti4200. These range in a price of $50~190!!

Nvidia has 10 cards that sell within a range of $140! That's $14
difference per card (Kinda).

Why did they ever bother with the "xt" series of lower end crap cards?
Confusion, nothing else.

NOTE: Gainward seems to be the BIGGEST seller of varient cards (64bit)
For example, a Gainware 5600xt-64bit (128mb) costs $60 more than a
128bit 5200... which the 5200 would be faster.

NOTE: Gainward is a brand to avoid nowadays. All their cards are
called the same. Only the tag/sticker will kind of tell you what you
maybe getting. NO OTHER MAKER DOES THIS!

Example:
5600xt 256mb = Gainward Power Pack Ultra/780
5600xt 64bit = Gainward Power Pack Ultra/760 TV-DVI
5600 128mb = Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 TV/DVI
5600 Ultra = Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 XP 128

InnoVision calls their 5600Ultra "GeForce FX 5600 Ultra"
MSI calls their card names: FX5600 -VTD128 or TD or VTDR
V = VIVO
T = TV OUT
D = Dual Output
R = Remote
### = RAM size (64/128/256)

hmm... which company makes more sense with model numbers?
MSI or Gainward?


OT: Someone posted about having an MX4000 - we had thought it was a
mistake. "MX400".

--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

John Lewis
January 18th 04, 10:52 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:25:49 -0000, "Bobby" > wrote:

>My daughter's PC is quite slow and I plan to improve it by giving her my
>FX5200 gfx card.

Not recommended. Get the 5200ULTRA if you must. Some of the
base 5200 cards only have a 64-bit wide data bus and 3.6Gbytes of
memory bandwidth instead of 7.2Gbytes. And the manufacturers
are very coy about NOT telling you which is which. I believe
that all 5200Ultra have ~ 8.2Gbytes of memory bandwidth.

John Lewis


>But my budget is tight so I'm thinking of upgrading my own
>PC to an FX5600.
>
>Is this wise? Please don't advise that I purchase an 5700 (or better) since
>these cards are still prohibitively expensive in the UK. I can get a 5600
>for 80 which is my max budget. But will I notice the difference?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Bobby
>
>