PDA

View Full Version : Got dirt-bagged on Ebay


DaveL
January 14th 04, 07:58 AM
I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here than
it should have.

I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.

Dave

Mark A
January 14th 04, 08:47 AM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
> ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
> that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
> TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
> to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here
than
> it should have.
>
> I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
> classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
> guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.
>
> Dave
>
Only one previous feedback is not sufficient to know whether he is a good
ebay seller.

Andrew
January 14th 04, 09:38 AM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:58:19 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
>classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
>guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.

That depends on how the lot was described. Have you explained your
grievances to the seller?
--
Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

Cuzman
January 14th 04, 09:45 AM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
...

" I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him. "


I would complain directly to the seller first. Then, if you feel they won't
correct the situation, leave negative feedback.

Darthy
January 14th 04, 10:36 AM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:58:19 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
>ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
>that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
>TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
>to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here than
>it should have.

He's a prick.

>I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
>classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
>guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.

Is it still a Gainward?

Keep in mind that Gainward has funky model names. (They call ALL
their **** cards "Ultras", even when they are NOT).

- He could have said the FAN was bad.
- How much you pay? $40 tops I hope.
- Considering current games, the difference between the GF3 plain and
GF-Ti200 is very minimal.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Carl
January 14th 04, 11:56 AM
In this news forum,
DaveL exclaimed to the world in his special way:

> I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a
> Gainward ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no
> cables. On top of that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got
> the fan working with some TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little
> ****ed. The guy even had the gall to wait 5 working days before
> shipping it so it took longer to get here than it should have.
>
> I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure
> this classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped
> off. This guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I
> should slam him.
>
> Dave


Dave, I have sold all my previous faultless graphics card on Ebay. They
have to be in good working order and any flaws or faults should be
mentioned. They should also be accurately and fully described.

Leave negative feedback. The seller has the option of replying to it. Then
demand a refund from him. Doesn't matter haw many previous feedback
comments he has - we all have to start somewhere and this shouldn't put
people off bidding, but in his case I think he's ****ed into the wind. Then
report him to ebay for selling products that he knew were faulty. It all
depends how he wrote up the item for selling.

~Carl

Andrew
January 14th 04, 01:23 PM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:56:53 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:

>Leave negative feedback. The seller has the option of replying to it. Then
>demand a refund from him. Doesn't matter haw many previous feedback
>comments he has - we all have to start somewhere and this shouldn't put
>people off bidding, but in his case I think he's ****ed into the wind. Then
>report him to ebay for selling products that he knew were faulty. It all
>depends how he wrote up the item for selling.

Leaving negative feedback before communicating with the seller is very
rude. I would be very annoyed if someone ruined my 100% positive
feedback record just because they couldn't be bothered to talk to me.
I am not saying the seller in this case doesn't probably deserve
negative feedback, but the OP should talk to him first pointing out
that he will leave negative feedback if the matter isn't resolved to
his satisfaction.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

John Fraser
January 14th 04, 02:15 PM
Good morning Dave;

"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
> ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
> that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
> TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
> to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here
than
> it should have.

Before you complain, verify that what you were sent was not what was
advertised. Contact the vendor and explain the difference.

>
> I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
> classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
> guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.
>
> Dave

Before you leave any negative feedback, try resolving the issue first by
directly contacting the vendor. Sometimes mistakes happen. That will be
your judgement call to make and how to make a final resolution be it praise
or criticism.

Cheers,
John

DaveL
January 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Thank you all. I have emailed the seller with my grievance. I don't mind
keeping the card as is but I think he should credit back some money to my
paypal account to make up for the bad fan and the fact that I received a
lesser model than was represented in the ad. I'll let you all know how it
turns out.

Dave


"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
> ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
> that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
> TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
> to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here
than
> it should have.
>
> I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
> classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
> guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.
>
> Dave
>

jeffc
January 14th 04, 08:19 PM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
> ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
> that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with some
> TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the gall
> to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here
than
> it should have.
>
> I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure this
> classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off. This
> guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam him.

Of course you should slam him. How will the next guy know? I've done a lot
of eBay transactions and have had a truly bad experience yet. Once I got
something that wasn't quite as advertised, which he refunded, and once,
coincidentally, I got a nVidia video card with a bad fan. He said it was
working fine when he packaged, so we split the cost of a new one. He had
lots of good feedback though. I do have a comment on feedback though.
First, email and tell your complaint. If he's a jerk, definitely give bad
feedback. But ABOVE ALL, check feedback first, carefully. Only 1 feedback
and you are definitely taking your chances. What I truly can't understand -
and this applies to Amazon at least as much as eBay - is how did that tenth
bad feedback get there? I mean, when someone sees 9, why the hell do they
ORDER???? THIS is why people get away with things - at least after the
first time.

Carl
January 14th 04, 08:53 PM
In this news forum,
Andrew exclaimed to the world in his special way:


> Leaving negative feedback before communicating with the seller is very
> rude. I would be very annoyed if someone ruined my 100% positive
> feedback record just because they couldn't be bothered to talk to me.


Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of an
honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from the
OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it was a
GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said it
depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my
responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.

I appreciate that the seller could say the card was in working order when it
left his possession and the buyer would have little to no comeback, but that
still leaves misrepresentation.

You're more tolerant than I. There are thousands of sellers selling
thousands of graphics cards on Ebay. Some will be thorough, honest and send
to the buyer exactly what they advertised and in the condition it was
advertised in (as I do) on the date agreed. I stand by my original view as
harsh as it may seem. The seller has the option of replying to neg feedback
and thus when you read the feedback you can make up your own mind. In
unusual cases I would suggest there is a way for Ebay to remove negative
feedback left in error, despite what they say, with the consent of buyer and
seller. You can't afford to take a gamble, mis-advertise goods, or sell
dodgy stuff on Ebay if you want a clean feedback record.

It appears that in this case (until I'm told differently) the buyer has been
shafted either through ignorance or deliberation. Ignorance is no excuse.
Negative feedback.

~Carl

NuT CrAcKeR
January 15th 04, 03:34 AM
"jeffc" > wrote in message
...
>
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
> ...
> > I just got in a GF3 I bought on Ebay. It was supposed to be a Gainward
> > ti550. But instead it's a GF3 basic with VIVO and no cables. On top of
> > that, it has a bad fan. I took it apart and got the fan working with
some
> > TV tuner cleaner but still I'm a little ****ed. The guy even had the
gall
> > to wait 5 working days before shipping it so it took longer to get here
> than
> > it should have.
> >
> > I've never had a bad experience on Ebay before. I'm not really sure
this
> > classifies as one. I guess I could have been completely ripped off.
This
> > guy only has one feedback and it's good. I'm not sure I should slam
him.
>
> Of course you should slam him. How will the next guy know? I've done a
lot
> of eBay transactions and have had a truly bad experience yet. Once I got
> something that wasn't quite as advertised, which he refunded, and once,
> coincidentally, I got a nVidia video card with a bad fan. He said it was
> working fine when he packaged, so we split the cost of a new one. He had
> lots of good feedback though. I do have a comment on feedback though.
> First, email and tell your complaint. If he's a jerk, definitely give bad
> feedback. But ABOVE ALL, check feedback first, carefully. Only 1
feedback
> and you are definitely taking your chances. What I truly can't
understand -
> and this applies to Amazon at least as much as eBay - is how did that
tenth
> bad feedback get there? I mean, when someone sees 9, why the hell do they
> ORDER???? THIS is why people get away with things - at least after the
> first time.
>

With feedback, its the ratio that matters. If there are 10000 feedbacks, and
20 of them are negative... thats .05% (or 1 out of every 500). i would be
sooo happy to have that success rate at anything in life (well, except maybe
skydiving... i would want 100% success there).

Keep it in context and know that there will be mistakes, and you cant please
everybody every time. Actually take the time to read what the problem was,
and even go so far as to check the person who left the feedback to see what
thier history is. Some people live to give others neg feedback, and I write
those people off as whiners and move on.

Thats just my $.02

NuTs

Darthy
January 15th 04, 07:48 AM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:
>
>Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of an
>honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from the
>OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it was a
>GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said it
>depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my
>responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.

Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
"Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.

The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 15th 04, 07:51 AM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:25:33 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>Thank you all. I have emailed the seller with my grievance. I don't mind
>keeping the card as is but I think he should credit back some money to my
>paypal account to make up for the bad fan and the fact that I received a
>lesser model than was represented in the ad. I'll let you all know how it
>turns out.

Have you confirmed WHAT you mean by "PLAIN" card? Were you expecting
a Ti550 and got a Ti500?

There is no such thing as a TI550 GF3 card.]

Please use AIDA32 from www.aida32.hu , its free. It will tell you
exactly WHAT kind of video card you have.

Here is gainward's site: http://www.gainward.com/c-2.html Their
system is a bit stupid, just tell it to view ALL GF3 products... try
to figure out what you were supposed to have purcased.

Gainward has 4 cards that they call "TI550".


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

neopolaris
January 15th 04, 03:34 PM
Darthy wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:
>>
>> Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility
>> of an honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as
>> fact from the OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the
>> card he said it was a GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was
>> also faulty. I also said it depends how the seller advertised the
>> card and what he printed and my responses take the facts as reported
>> by the OP as read.
>
> Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
> "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
>
> The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.

Gainward made the BEST GF3 cards bar none. A badass Gainward ti200 is
called a ti450

DaveL
January 15th 04, 05:11 PM
The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.

Here is the ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816&category=40161&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1


This is what I received:
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gainwardgf3golden.shtml

And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan on
it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from him.
I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my paypal
account or a complete refund.

Dave


"Darthy" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:
> >
> >Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of an
> >honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from
the
> >OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it was
a
> >GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said it
> >depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my
> >responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.
>
> Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
> "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
>
> The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.
>
>
> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

DaveL
January 15th 04, 05:47 PM
Darthy,

There are three types of GF3. There was the original, called a GF3 (that's
what I received). Later, Nvidia decided to split the product line and
released a lower clocked version, the ti200, and a higher clocked version,
the ti500. All Gainward did was take the ti500 a little further with higher
clocking and called it a ti550. Now do you get it?

Dave


"Darthy" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:25:33 -0800, "DaveL" >
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you all. I have emailed the seller with my grievance. I don't
mind
> >keeping the card as is but I think he should credit back some money to my
> >paypal account to make up for the bad fan and the fact that I received a
> >lesser model than was represented in the ad. I'll let you all know how
it
> >turns out.
>
> Have you confirmed WHAT you mean by "PLAIN" card? Were you expecting
> a Ti550 and got a Ti500?
>
> There is no such thing as a TI550 GF3 card.]
>
> Please use AIDA32 from www.aida32.hu , its free. It will tell you
> exactly WHAT kind of video card you have.
>
> Here is gainward's site: http://www.gainward.com/c-2.html Their
> system is a bit stupid, just tell it to view ALL GF3 products... try
> to figure out what you were supposed to have purcased.
>
> Gainward has 4 cards that they call "TI550".
>
>
> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

jeffc
January 16th 04, 09:56 PM
"NuT CrAcKeR" > wrote in message
...
> >
>
> With feedback, its the ratio that matters. If there are 10000 feedbacks,
and
> 20 of them are negative... thats .05% (or 1 out of every 500). i would be
> sooo happy to have that success rate at anything in life (well, except
maybe
> skydiving... i would want 100% success there).

I'd look at ratio, but I'd also pay special attention to the last 20
transactions or so. If the guy has 10,000 good ones, and all of a sudden 20
out of the last 40 are bad, there's a problem there.

Biz
January 17th 04, 04:16 AM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
> reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
> already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.
>
> Here is the ad:
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816&category=40161
&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
>
>
> This is what I received:
> http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gainwardgf3golden.shtml
>
> And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan on
> it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from
him.
> I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my paypal
> account or a complete refund.
>
> Dave
>
>
> "Darthy" > wrote in message
> ...
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:
> > >
> > >Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of
an
> > >honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact from
> the
> > >OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it
was
> a
> > >GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also said
it
> > >depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my
> > >responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.
> >
> > Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
> > "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
> >
> > The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> > When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
> >
> > Death to Palladium & WPA!!
>

It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you received.
Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence as
others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans, but
they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone should
do.

DaveL
January 17th 04, 04:33 AM
So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with it?

Dave


"Biz" > wrote in message
...
>
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
> ...
> > The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
> > reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
> > already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.
> >
> > Here is the ad:
> >
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816&category=40161
> &sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
> >
> >
> > This is what I received:
> > http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gainwardgf3golden.shtml
> >
> > And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan
on
> > it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from
> him.
> > I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my
paypal
> > account or a complete refund.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >
> > "Darthy" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" > wrote:
> > > >
> > > >Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility of
> an
> > > >honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact
from
> > the
> > > >OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said it
> was
> > a
> > > >GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also
said
> it
> > > >depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and my
> > > >responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.
> > >
> > > Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
> > > "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
> > >
> > > The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> > > When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
> > >
> > > Death to Palladium & WPA!!
> >
>
> It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
> picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
> possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you received.
> Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence
as
> others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans, but
> they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone should
> do.
>
>

PRIVATE1964
January 17th 04, 04:47 AM
>
>So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
>than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with it?

I think it's pretty deceiving. The problem being in the description which
really doesn't say which card your bidding on. It could be a Geforce 3
whatever. Then you look at the box which says one thing, the emblem says
another and no where on there does it say the pictures are not what you are
gonna get.

Darthy
January 17th 04, 11:24 AM
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:11:01 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than the
>reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
>already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.
>
>Here is the ad:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816&category=40161&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
>
>
>This is what I received:
>http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gainwardgf3golden.shtml

That review is kinda bad, it doesnt benchmark the card against
others... also, I don't know WHAT this is. Unless its an original GF3
card. (Its hard to go backwards on items like this) - anyway, its not
the same hardwar pictured if what you paid for.

>And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad fan on
>it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response from him.
>I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my paypal
>account or a complete refund.
>
>Dave

Yeah... give him a **** rating, I would. Post how you had attempted
to contact this little prick.

Another EBAY turd is screwing over a friend, who attempted to BUY
something.... 1- he never delivered. 2- my friend is getting a
NON-PAYMENT harrassment...

Nobody at EBAY is answering the phone or email? WTF - anyone know
anything about getting hold of Ebay?

Anyways - back to you.

Take the price you paid for the card (I guess no more than $25) - $15
for cost of FAN replacement to to resolve it, in return - a FAIR
rating.... But I doubt he'd do that.

Did you check the BIOS on the card, see if the jerk flashed it into as
"550".



--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 17th 04, 11:24 AM
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:47:28 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>Darthy,
>
>There are three types of GF3. There was the original, called a GF3 (that's
>what I received). Later, Nvidia decided to split the product line and
>released a lower clocked version, the ti200, and a higher clocked version,
>the ti500. All Gainward did was take the ti500 a little further with higher
>clocking and called it a ti550. Now do you get it?
>
>Dave

Yeah yeah.... Duh... Just used to "model numbers"... ;)

You got screwed.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 17th 04, 11:37 AM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:16:57 GMT, "Biz" >
wrote:

>> > Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
>> > "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
>> >
>> > The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.
>> >
>
>It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
>picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
>possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you received.
>Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence as
>others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans, but
>they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone should
>do.

This is why I HATE GAINWARD - they call all there products the sme
thing. You have to dig in and look for a small tag or something that
says what it really is.

BUT, there is a difference between a GF3-500 and GF3-(ORG) card.

But the GOLD sample should be OC to GF-Ti500 performance, but the
"gainward 5500" is supposed to go faster still.

Different box and card pictured from what is sold...

But I don't have specs in front of me either... IF this EBAY link is
from the scam artist, the description COULD mean any GF3.

He could claim stupidity on the "sorry wrong image" game.

I tend to prefer real photos... but then I dont buy from Ebay.


And besides... everyone KNOWS when they have a dead noisy fan on their
hands... then tend to WHINE before they die.




--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

John Fraser
January 17th 04, 02:40 PM
Good morning Dave;

"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
> than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with
it?
>
> Dave

It's a common advertising trick to show the deluxe model, yet sell
several versions which may only vaguely resemble what is pictured. It's
legal as long as there is a disclaimer to the effect that the picture may
not represent what you actually receive.

If you legitimally feel you were taken for a ride and can provide a
sound reason as to why, leave a complaint and it's up to the vendor to
explain what you received was no less than what was advertised.

If, in the long run you feel that what you received was still a bargain,
leave a complaint about the faulty fan and enjoy the product. It's your
call.

I recently read of a story about a pilot who purchased a used Piper
Baron 58 for $100K dollars. The buyer discovered that the recent safety
certification was a joke when he arrived home. After spending $13K to fix
it to flying status, spending $8K on legal bills, getting reimbursed $10K by
the vendor, nine months later the FAA decided to suspend his pilot's license
because he flew a plane that wasn't certified for safe flight.

Cheers,
John


>
>
> "Biz" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "DaveL" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > The Gainward GF3 ti550 is a ti500 that has faster memory in it than
the
> > > reference design and is clocked to 550 mhz, hence the name. And yes I
> > > already said in the original post that I received a basic GF3.
> > >
> > > Here is the ad:
> > >
> >
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816&category=40161
> > &sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
> > >
> > >
> > > This is what I received:
> > > http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gainwardgf3golden.shtml
> > >
> > > And like I said, not only was it a different board but it had a bad
fan
> on
> > > it. I emailed the sell yesterday and have not received a response
from
> > him.
> > > I send another email today. I think he owes me a credit back to my
> paypal
> > > account or a complete refund.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > >
> > > "Darthy" > wrote in message
> > > ...
> > > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0000, "Carl" >
wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >Andrew I couldn't agree more in cases where there is a possibility
of
> > an
> > > > >honest mix-up, or breakdown in comms. But if you take it as fact
> from
> > > the
> > > > >OP on what the seller printed when he advertised the card he said
it
> > was
> > > a
> > > > >GF3 ti550 and thats not what he got. It was also faulty. I also
> said
> > it
> > > > >depends how the seller advertised the card and what he printed and
my
> > > > >responses take the facts as reported by the OP as read.
> > > >
> > > > Theres no such thing as a real "Ti550" - Gainward calls the Ti200 a
> > > > "Ti500" for some retarded reason. Hence, I say - **** gainward.
> > > >
> > > > The Poster has not yet confirmed which card he has.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> > > > When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
> > > >
> > > > Death to Palladium & WPA!!
> > >
> >
> > It seems to me you chose not to read the ad and just went by the generic
> > picture he used since he didnt include photos of the actual card in his
> > possession. The description seems to describe exactly what you
received.
> > Albeit, there was no mention of a dead fan, which could be a coincidence
> as
> > others mentioned on occasion they have received cards with dead fans,
but
> > they tried to resolve the issue with the seller 1st. Which anyone
should
> > do.
> >
> >
>

DaveL
January 17th 04, 05:40 PM
Ebay is like a bad addiction. I know I should not do it but something keeps
bringing me back to it. I have been burned before. I once received a dead
processor. Once bought a game and never received it after payment. But for
every bad deal I have ten more that made my day. I have bought things on
there that you could never find anywhere else. I bought a antique outboard
motor that is my prize possession. A three hundred dollar cd player for
$35. I guess I need to scrutinize the ads more closely and ask more
questions.

The bad fan on this GF3 is so bad I don't see how the seller could have
missed it. When I first plugged it in and fired it up, it turned a few
times very slowly, made a terrible sound and quit turning. I quickly shut
down, pulled the card, disassemble the fan and noticed the bearing was
completely rusted. The seller must live in a very humid climate and this
card is old and sat for a while.

And about the "sorry wrong image", I think he should have noticed it doesn't
look much like his card.

BTW, This guy never responded to either of my emails. I guess I'll have to
live with this and give him negative feedback. I know he will give me
negative feedback in response. That's what I don't like about this feedback
thing. I get a bad deal, leave negative feedback and then he gives me
negative feedback.

Dave


"Darthy" > wrote in message
...
>
> Different box and card pictured from what is sold...
>
> But I don't have specs in front of me either... IF this EBAY link is
> from the scam artist, the description COULD mean any GF3.
>
> He could claim stupidity on the "sorry wrong image" game.
>
> I tend to prefer real photos... but then I dont buy from Ebay.
>
>
> And besides... everyone KNOWS when they have a dead noisy fan on their
> hands... then tend to WHINE before they die.
>

Gordie
January 17th 04, 11:35 PM
Well you didn't read it... it's an auction; like a market, they'll do
anythin to sell some people; read next time

"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
> than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with
it?

Gordie
January 17th 04, 11:36 PM
You said in your original post 'i've never had a bad experience on ebay' -
so that was pap?


"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> Ebay is like a bad addiction.

Mark A
January 17th 04, 11:44 PM
> > So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
> > than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with
> it?
>
The item was purchased from a seller with 1 positive feedback (not even sure
if that feedback was left by a buyer). What do you expect?

DaveL
January 18th 04, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I had forgotten about those other bad things. I guess one tries to
forget about the bad experience in life. I think it's a subconscious kind
of thing. In other words it was pap.

Dave


"Gordie" > wrote in message
...
> You said in your original post 'i've never had a bad experience on ebay' -
> so that was pap?
>
>
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Ebay is like a bad addiction.
>
>

DaveL
January 18th 04, 12:47 AM
"Mark A" > wrote in message
...
> > > So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different
card
> > > than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go
with
> > it?
> >
> The item was purchased from a seller with 1 positive feedback (not even
sure
> if that feedback was left by a buyer). What do you expect?
>

Uh... common decency?

We all, at one time, had to have only one positive feedback. Does that mean
that we were all scammers at that time?

Dave

PRIVATE1964
January 18th 04, 03:07 AM
>Well you didn't read it... it's an auction; like a market, they'll do
>anythin to sell some people; read next time

No no no noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It doesn't matter what it is, but
at a market you can hold the item in your hand and know what your gonna get.
This is suppose to be legit. It's an auction for what is represented by the
seller which in this case is deceptive. Maybe you should read the ad because it
really doesn't say very much. It's totally deceptive because of the pictures
and no where does it say the pictures are for display purposes only or
something to that effect.

PRIVATE1964
January 18th 04, 03:08 AM
>Uh... common decency?
>
>We all, at one time, had to have only one positive feedback. Does that mean
>that we were all scammers at that time?
>
>Dave

Don't bother feeding the trolls. They don't understand anything.

DaveL
January 18th 04, 04:51 AM
Thank you. Your last sentence says it all.

Dave


"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
...
> >Well you didn't read it... it's an auction; like a market, they'll do
> >anythin to sell some people; read next time
>
> No no no noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It doesn't matter what it
is, but
> at a market you can hold the item in your hand and know what your gonna
get.
> This is suppose to be legit. It's an auction for what is represented by
the
> seller which in this case is deceptive. Maybe you should read the ad
because it
> really doesn't say very much. It's totally deceptive because of the
pictures
> and no where does it say the pictures are for display purposes only or
> something to that effect.

Mark A
January 18th 04, 07:42 AM
> > The item was purchased from a seller with 1 positive feedback (not even
> sure
> > if that feedback was left by a buyer). What do you expect?
> >
>
> Uh... common decency?
>
> We all, at one time, had to have only one positive feedback. Does that
mean
> that we were all scammers at that time?
>
> Dave
>
Basically it comes down to your own greed. The item went for a lower than
normal price because most people will not buy from someone without a proven
track record. You have bought something from a reputable seller, or bought
something new, but tried to cut corners. I am not defending the seller, but
please quit complaining about your stupid and greedy purchase on ebay.

Darthy
January 18th 04, 11:47 AM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:40:28 GMT, "John Fraser"
> wrote:

>Good morning Dave;
>
>"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
>> So you are saying it's perfectly ok to use a picture of a different card
>> than what you are selling and to also include a ti500 moniker to go with
>it?
>>
>> Dave
>
> It's a common advertising trick to show the deluxe model, yet sell
>several versions which may only vaguely resemble what is pictured. It's
>legal as long as there is a disclaimer to the effect that the picture may
>not represent what you actually receive.
>
> If you legitimally feel you were taken for a ride and can provide a
>sound reason as to why, leave a complaint and it's up to the vendor to
>explain what you received was no less than what was advertised.
>
> If, in the long run you feel that what you received was still a bargain,
>leave a complaint about the faulty fan and enjoy the product. It's your
>call.
>
> I recently read of a story about a pilot who purchased a used Piper
>Baron 58 for $100K dollars. The buyer discovered that the recent safety
>certification was a joke when he arrived home. After spending $13K to fix
>it to flying status, spending $8K on legal bills, getting reimbursed $10K by
>the vendor, nine months later the FAA decided to suspend his pilot's license
>because he flew a plane that wasn't certified for safe flight.

Can't forget the recent guy who bought an ADVERTISED defective Ti4400
card on ebay... and was AMAZED and upset that it MAY NOT WORK.. and it
didnt.

Subject was misrepresented, I think.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 18th 04, 11:52 AM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:40:09 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>Ebay is like a bad addiction. I know I should not do it but something keeps
>bringing me back to it. I have been burned before. I once received a dead

Thats why I dont gamble.

>The bad fan on this GF3 is so bad I don't see how the seller could have
>missed it. When I first plugged it in and fired it up, it turned a few
>times very slowly, made a terrible sound and quit turning. I quickly shut
>down, pulled the card, disassemble the fan and noticed the bearing was
>completely rusted. The seller must live in a very humid climate and this
>card is old and sat for a while.
>
>And about the "sorry wrong image", I think he should have noticed it doesn't
>look much like his card.
>
>BTW, This guy never responded to either of my emails. I guess I'll have to
>live with this and give him negative feedback. I know he will give me
>negative feedback in response. That's what I don't like about this feedback
>thing. I get a bad deal, leave negative feedback and then he gives me
>negative feedback.

Heres a bit of a solution.

Are you allowed to give another BAD feedback to the first? In
response?

Do the following.

1 - take screen shot of your bid, showing YOU "WON" - amount paid.
Save it... JPG image.

2 - use a camera (I assume you have a digital camera) and take a shot
of your GF3 card.

3 - Setup bull**** webspace for things like this - a website/email
address you dont care about (www.geocities.com - part of Yahoo).

4 upload the 2 images... Upload tech stats explaining why they are
different - then put out your BAD defect message. So if someone does
a trace of YOU to HIM, it will have a link to your site.

Take about 20~30 minutes to do it...



--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Carl
January 18th 04, 03:55 PM
In this news forum,
Mark A exclaimed to the world in his special way:


> Basically it comes down to your own greed. The item went for a lower
> than normal price because most people will not buy from someone
> without a proven track record. You have bought something from a
> reputable seller, or bought something new, but tried to cut corners.
> I am not defending the seller, but please quit complaining about your
> stupid and greedy purchase on ebay.

__________________________________________________ _____

What an outrageous and and pathetic thing to state. It has nothing to do
with greed or stupidity. The whole Ebay point is for sellers to sell their
wares obtaining the best price they can get for their chosen item. The more
demand for that item the more buyers are willing to bid. Its also about
buyers picking up good deals for goods they seek. Greed and stupidity does
not enter into it and your comments are not justified.

Whilst it may be true that some people will only buy from sellers with lots
of positive feedback, it doesn't include everyone. As has already been
mentioned by myself and others, sellers have to start somewhere and the
amount of positive feedback one has is not a reflection on the honesty and
integrity of that person, although I admit it helps. I've had friends
screwed over buy sellers with masses amounts of positive feedback, people
thought to be reputable. And unless someone is a full-time Ebay seller you
cannot ascertain that someone is a reputable seller with a proven track
record (as you put it) because the private individual sellers that sell
items such as graphics cards only do so when they upgrade or get a new PC
and sell the components of the old one.

When I sold my first item on Ebay (a digital camera) for which I got 300 I
had no feedback at all yet someone still bought it and there was masses of
bidding for it. It was advertised correctly, shipped on time and was the
item as fully described. That was my first positive feedback. My next item
was, ironically, a graphics card because I upgraded. This resulted in
positive feedback too.

I certainly would not describe my buyers as greedy, stupid, or trying to cut
corners and I'd expect them to complain if they were not happy about my
service. The OP was asking for advice on what to do. Your advice is way off
mark....

~Carl

Mark A
January 18th 04, 07:54 PM
"Carl" > wrote in message
...
> What an outrageous and and pathetic thing to state. It has nothing to do
> with greed or stupidity. The whole Ebay point is for sellers to sell
their
> wares obtaining the best price they can get for their chosen item. The
more
> demand for that item the more buyers are willing to bid. Its also about
> buyers picking up good deals for goods they seek. Greed and stupidity
does
> not enter into it and your comments are not justified.
>
> Whilst it may be true that some people will only buy from sellers with
lots
> of positive feedback, it doesn't include everyone. As has already been
> mentioned by myself and others, sellers have to start somewhere and the
> amount of positive feedback one has is not a reflection on the honesty and
> integrity of that person, although I admit it helps. I've had friends
> screwed over buy sellers with masses amounts of positive feedback, people
> thought to be reputable. And unless someone is a full-time Ebay seller
you
> cannot ascertain that someone is a reputable seller with a proven track
> record (as you put it) because the private individual sellers that sell
> items such as graphics cards only do so when they upgrade or get a new PC
> and sell the components of the old one.
>
> When I sold my first item on Ebay (a digital camera) for which I got 300
I
> had no feedback at all yet someone still bought it and there was masses of
> bidding for it. It was advertised correctly, shipped on time and was the
> item as fully described. That was my first positive feedback. My next
item
> was, ironically, a graphics card because I upgraded. This resulted in
> positive feedback too.
>
> I certainly would not describe my buyers as greedy, stupid, or trying to
cut
> corners and I'd expect them to complain if they were not happy about my
> service. The OP was asking for advice on what to do. Your advice is way
off
> mark....
>
> ~Carl
>
The original poster was told what to do (contact the seller and discuss the
problem), but instead he spent money trying to fix the problem himself.

Not all persons who don't have feedback are dishonest or incompetent (as you
stated), but one is definitely taking a risk when buying from a seller that
does not have much feedback. We are talking about used items here, and items
from sellers with little or poor feedback almost always sell for less money
on ebay. Given the number of used video card sales on ebay, there are plenty
of other options from sellers who are known to be reputable.

I think one has to be extra careful to buy a used video card, because a lot
of times the reason they are sold is due a problem such as a noisy fan, over
intermittent problems. Not all of them, but many of them.

Any time one purchases used items, the saying is especially true "caveat
emptor."

PRIVATE1964
January 18th 04, 09:28 PM
>Basically it comes down to your own greed. The item went for a lower than
>normal price because most people will not buy from someone without a proven
>track record. You have bought something from a reputable seller, or bought
>something new, but tried to cut corners. I am not defending the seller, but
>please quit complaining about your stupid and greedy purchase on ebay.
>
>

Your an idiot !!
You think because someone buys an item that is cheaper then normal they are
being greedy? Oh so the next time you buy a video card and there are 2 brands,
but one is cheeper and you buy that one your being greedy?
What If the cheeper brand you buy craps out your just gonna say "I was greedy I
deserve it"
"Go crawl back under your rock troll.....idiot!"

Mark A
January 18th 04, 10:13 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
...
> >Basically it comes down to your own greed. The item went for a lower than
> >normal price because most people will not buy from someone without a
proven
> >track record. You have bought something from a reputable seller, or
bought
> >something new, but tried to cut corners. I am not defending the seller,
but
> >please quit complaining about your stupid and greedy purchase on ebay.
> >
> >
>
> Your an idiot !!
> You think because someone buys an item that is cheaper then normal they
are
> being greedy? Oh so the next time you buy a video card and there are 2
brands,
> but one is cheeper and you buy that one your being greedy?
> What If the cheeper brand you buy craps out your just gonna say "I was
greedy I
> deserve it"
> "Go crawl back under your rock troll.....idiot!"
>
We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes, when
buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of the
factors used by buyers to determine the bid price. Absolutely yes. Items on
ebay from unknown or bad sellers always go for less money.

When I sell items on ebay (I have sold over 50 items with 100% feedback
rating) I always guarantee that the item is in good working order and is as
described. No one should by from a seller on ebay who does not guarantee
their items, unless the item is sold "as is" (which is a legal term word for
broken or maybe broken). If someone buys "as is" they have no legal or moral
right to complain.

My biggest complaint about this thread is the buyer did not contact the
seller with the problems. Instead, he invested money in trying to fix it and
then decided he did not want the card. If you have a problem with an item
you purchase on ebay, always contact the seller first.

PRIVATE1964
January 18th 04, 10:32 PM
>We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes, when
>buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of the
>factors used by buyers to determine the bid price.

I don't believe it said "USED" anywhere on the listing. It also really doesn't
matter if it's used or new. You are suppose to be bidding on what is
represented in the ad.
If I purchase something I go by what is specified in the ad. In this case the
words don't really describe exactly what your getting. They specify a Geforce
3, but which one? Then you notice the picture of the box with Ti550, and the
Nvidia emblem with Ti 500. To me I would think Gainward s calling a Ti500 a 550
for some reason...maybe faster memory. With the emblem there I would think the
seller is telling me it's a Ti 500 that has been modified by Gainward to be
what they call a Ti 550.
Also there should be a disclaimer of some kind stating the pictures don't
represent what you will get. Why didn't this seller put in his ad "Original
Geforce 3" ? That would have been too easy. It's because he knew what he was
doing. He wanted to be deceptive and rip someone off.

Mark A
January 18th 04, 11:26 PM
"PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
...
> >We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes,
when
> >buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of
the
> >factors used by buyers to determine the bid price.
>
> I don't believe it said "USED" anywhere on the listing. It also really
doesn't
> matter if it's used or new. You are suppose to be bidding on what is
> represented in the ad.
> If I purchase something I go by what is specified in the ad. In this case
the
> words don't really describe exactly what your getting. They specify a
Geforce
> 3, but which one? Then you notice the picture of the box with Ti550, and
the
> Nvidia emblem with Ti 500. To me I would think Gainward s calling a Ti500
a 550
> for some reason...maybe faster memory. With the emblem there I would think
the
> seller is telling me it's a Ti 500 that has been modified by Gainward to
be
> what they call a Ti 550.
> Also there should be a disclaimer of some kind stating the pictures don't
> represent what you will get. Why didn't this seller put in his ad
"Original
> Geforce 3" ? That would have been too easy. It's because he knew what he
was
> doing. He wanted to be deceptive and rip someone off.

I guess we are dealing with ebay novices. Here are some things to consider:

Just for reference, here is item in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816

1. Anytime an item is sold on ebay, and it doesn't say "new," then it is
used. The buyer found the fan to be defective, so he attempted to fix it
before talking to seller about the problem. He knew it was used.

2. Anytime you see a photo like the one in the listing that is obviously
taken in a studio with the background white (which is obviously a photo
taken by a professional in a studio), then it is not a photo the actual
item. If you want to see a photo of the actual item, look for one that
appears like it was taken by an amateur and would NOT be a photo used by the
retailer when the item was originally sold.

3. I have already talked about buying from someone with only 1 feedback. The
buyer does has right to expect that the item is as described and in working
condition. But there is always a risk that should be understood if the
seller is unknown. My guess is that this seller had another id with poor
feedback and started this new ebay id. Very few people sell on ebay without
buying something first.

4. This a used item and there is no mention of any guarantee from the
seller. There is no mention of the condition of item or its history. In
addition, the shipping cost is rip-off, which is a serious warning sign that
the seller may be questionable. I never buy from a seller with rip-off
shipping charges, because by definition the are dishonest (IMO).

5. I am assuming that the buyer here is a fairly young person (25 or less).
This is probably a very inexpensive lesson that will come in handy later in
life when purchasing items with serious money (like a car or a house). There
is almost always something wrong a used car or a home when you buy it (even
a new home). Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Ask for guarantees and
warranties, and understand what the reputation of the seller is.

6. I don't mean to suggest that everyone on ebay is a crook. I have sold
over 50 items and I stand behind every item I sell. I also only charge
actual shipping cost (although occasionally I had to charge for a special
shipping box).

DaveL
January 19th 04, 12:12 AM
I new it was not new. But I expected his illustrations to represent the
actual product. That's what I would have done had I been the seller. Maybe
he doesn't have access to a digital camera but he still could have found a
picture on the web of a card just like his. I found one of it in about one
minute of searching.

BTW, I have emailed the guy twice and he has not responded. I said in my
email that I was not accusing him of anything but that I wanted to come to
sort of agreement to resolve the discrepancy. I said I did not mind keeping
the item but I would need to buy a new fan for it.

If I don't hear from him by tuesday I'm going to leave a nasty feedback.

Dave


"Mark A" > wrote in message
...
>
> "PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> ...
> > >We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes,
> when
> > >buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one of
> the
> > >factors used by buyers to determine the bid price.
> >
> > I don't believe it said "USED" anywhere on the listing. It also really
> doesn't
> > matter if it's used or new. You are suppose to be bidding on what is
> > represented in the ad.
> > If I purchase something I go by what is specified in the ad. In this
case
> the
> > words don't really describe exactly what your getting. They specify a
> Geforce
> > 3, but which one? Then you notice the picture of the box with Ti550, and
> the
> > Nvidia emblem with Ti 500. To me I would think Gainward s calling a
Ti500
> a 550
> > for some reason...maybe faster memory. With the emblem there I would
think
> the
> > seller is telling me it's a Ti 500 that has been modified by Gainward to
> be
> > what they call a Ti 550.
> > Also there should be a disclaimer of some kind stating the pictures
don't
> > represent what you will get. Why didn't this seller put in his ad
> "Original
> > Geforce 3" ? That would have been too easy. It's because he knew what
he
> was
> > doing. He wanted to be deceptive and rip someone off.
>
> I guess we are dealing with ebay novices. Here are some things to
consider:
>
> Just for reference, here is item in question:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816
>
> 1. Anytime an item is sold on ebay, and it doesn't say "new," then it is
> used. The buyer found the fan to be defective, so he attempted to fix it
> before talking to seller about the problem. He knew it was used.
>
> 2. Anytime you see a photo like the one in the listing that is obviously
> taken in a studio with the background white (which is obviously a photo
> taken by a professional in a studio), then it is not a photo the actual
> item. If you want to see a photo of the actual item, look for one that
> appears like it was taken by an amateur and would NOT be a photo used by
the
> retailer when the item was originally sold.
>
> 3. I have already talked about buying from someone with only 1 feedback.
The
> buyer does has right to expect that the item is as described and in
working
> condition. But there is always a risk that should be understood if the
> seller is unknown. My guess is that this seller had another id with poor
> feedback and started this new ebay id. Very few people sell on ebay
without
> buying something first.
>
> 4. This a used item and there is no mention of any guarantee from the
> seller. There is no mention of the condition of item or its history. In
> addition, the shipping cost is rip-off, which is a serious warning sign
that
> the seller may be questionable. I never buy from a seller with rip-off
> shipping charges, because by definition the are dishonest (IMO).
>
> 5. I am assuming that the buyer here is a fairly young person (25 or
less).
> This is probably a very inexpensive lesson that will come in handy later
in
> life when purchasing items with serious money (like a car or a house).
There
> is almost always something wrong a used car or a home when you buy it
(even
> a new home). Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Ask for guarantees and
> warranties, and understand what the reputation of the seller is.
>
> 6. I don't mean to suggest that everyone on ebay is a crook. I have sold
> over 50 items and I stand behind every item I sell. I also only charge
> actual shipping cost (although occasionally I had to charge for a special
> shipping box).
>
>

Mark A
January 19th 04, 12:25 AM
"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I new it was not new. But I expected his illustrations to represent the
> actual product. That's what I would have done had I been the seller.
Maybe
> he doesn't have access to a digital camera but he still could have found a
> picture on the web of a card just like his. I found one of it in about
one
> minute of searching.
>
> BTW, I have emailed the guy twice and he has not responded. I said in my
> email that I was not accusing him of anything but that I wanted to come to
> sort of agreement to resolve the discrepancy. I said I did not mind
keeping
> the item but I would need to buy a new fan for it.
>
> If I don't hear from him by tuesday I'm going to leave a nasty feedback.
>
> Dave
>
Be forewarned that he may give you a negative feedback in return. That's one
of the big problems with ebay (seller don't have give feedback until after
the buyer does).

Sept1967
January 19th 04, 12:27 AM
I understand your point. But on eBay, do your homework.
The picture shown, represents a "GeForce3 Ti/550 PowerPack Golden Sample".
And I dont see those terms listed anywhere in that auction. *I* would have
asked questions before bidding (or at least the end of auction). Never
assume what you will receive, ASK.

Just my 2 1/2 cents...


"DaveL" > wrote in message
...
> I new it was not new. But I expected his illustrations to represent the
> actual product. That's what I would have done had I been the seller.
Maybe
> he doesn't have access to a digital camera but he still could have found a
> picture on the web of a card just like his. I found one of it in about
one
> minute of searching.
>
> BTW, I have emailed the guy twice and he has not responded. I said in my
> email that I was not accusing him of anything but that I wanted to come to
> sort of agreement to resolve the discrepancy. I said I did not mind
keeping
> the item but I would need to buy a new fan for it.
>
> If I don't hear from him by tuesday I'm going to leave a nasty feedback.
>
> Dave
>
>
> "Mark A" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "PRIVATE1964" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > >We are talking about used items, not a new item with a warranty. Yes,
> > when
> > > >buying a used item, the reputation of seller is important and is one
of
> > the
> > > >factors used by buyers to determine the bid price.
> > >
> > > I don't believe it said "USED" anywhere on the listing. It also really
> > doesn't
> > > matter if it's used or new. You are suppose to be bidding on what is
> > > represented in the ad.
> > > If I purchase something I go by what is specified in the ad. In this
> case
> > the
> > > words don't really describe exactly what your getting. They specify a
> > Geforce
> > > 3, but which one? Then you notice the picture of the box with Ti550,
and
> > the
> > > Nvidia emblem with Ti 500. To me I would think Gainward s calling a
> Ti500
> > a 550
> > > for some reason...maybe faster memory. With the emblem there I would
> think
> > the
> > > seller is telling me it's a Ti 500 that has been modified by Gainward
to
> > be
> > > what they call a Ti 550.
> > > Also there should be a disclaimer of some kind stating the pictures
> don't
> > > represent what you will get. Why didn't this seller put in his ad
> > "Original
> > > Geforce 3" ? That would have been too easy. It's because he knew what
> he
> > was
> > > doing. He wanted to be deceptive and rip someone off.
> >
> > I guess we are dealing with ebay novices. Here are some things to
> consider:
> >
> > Just for reference, here is item in question:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2776484816
> >
> > 1. Anytime an item is sold on ebay, and it doesn't say "new," then it is
> > used. The buyer found the fan to be defective, so he attempted to fix it
> > before talking to seller about the problem. He knew it was used.
> >
> > 2. Anytime you see a photo like the one in the listing that is obviously
> > taken in a studio with the background white (which is obviously a photo
> > taken by a professional in a studio), then it is not a photo the actual
> > item. If you want to see a photo of the actual item, look for one that
> > appears like it was taken by an amateur and would NOT be a photo used by
> the
> > retailer when the item was originally sold.
> >
> > 3. I have already talked about buying from someone with only 1 feedback.
> The
> > buyer does has right to expect that the item is as described and in
> working
> > condition. But there is always a risk that should be understood if the
> > seller is unknown. My guess is that this seller had another id with poor
> > feedback and started this new ebay id. Very few people sell on ebay
> without
> > buying something first.
> >
> > 4. This a used item and there is no mention of any guarantee from the
> > seller. There is no mention of the condition of item or its history. In
> > addition, the shipping cost is rip-off, which is a serious warning sign
> that
> > the seller may be questionable. I never buy from a seller with rip-off
> > shipping charges, because by definition the are dishonest (IMO).
> >
> > 5. I am assuming that the buyer here is a fairly young person (25 or
> less).
> > This is probably a very inexpensive lesson that will come in handy later
> in
> > life when purchasing items with serious money (like a car or a house).
> There
> > is almost always something wrong a used car or a home when you buy it
> (even
> > a new home). Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Ask for guarantees and
> > warranties, and understand what the reputation of the seller is.
> >
> > 6. I don't mean to suggest that everyone on ebay is a crook. I have sold
> > over 50 items and I stand behind every item I sell. I also only charge
> > actual shipping cost (although occasionally I had to charge for a
special
> > shipping box).
> >
> >
>

B.
January 31st 04, 04:06 PM
Did you only pay $26 US for the card?

Sure , he lied a bit about what it was , but in the end the difference would
be only a few frames Id imagine.

And $26US? thats pretty cheap for what you got in the end.

I'd just email him , tell him the fan was buggered , and that you expected a
ti500 , and ask him for $5US back perhaps?

If he wont do it , then leave feedback saying what happened , and forget
about it.

B.

DaveL
January 31st 04, 05:32 PM
Yeah, that's what I did. I first emailed him. He did not respond so I
emailed again. He finally responded saying he had been out of town and then
pleaded ignorance. He said he thought it was the same card thinking it was
a red Gainward GF3 and that's all he knew. About the bad fan, he said it
was working fine the last time he used it. I asked him to credit back to my
paypal $10 bucks so I could buy a new fan. He never responded and I left
less than satisfactory feedback to him.

The deal was, I wanted to get the Gainward ti500. I think it was the
fastest GF3 ever made cause they were made with overclocking in mind.

Dave


"B." > wrote in message
...
> Did you only pay $26 US for the card?
>
> Sure , he lied a bit about what it was , but in the end the difference
would
> be only a few frames Id imagine.
>
> And $26US? thats pretty cheap for what you got in the end.
>
> I'd just email him , tell him the fan was buggered , and that you expected
a
> ti500 , and ask him for $5US back perhaps?
>
> If he wont do it , then leave feedback saying what happened , and forget
> about it.
>
> B.
>
>