PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PVR card (Long)

Lydokane
January 13th 04, 10:08 PM
I have decided to take an old case/power supply/motherboard and turn it into
a PVR. The power supply is 350W and the motherboard is a Gigabyte with
512Mb RAM and 800Mhz AMD processor. I have a DVD-ROM drive that I am going
to put in it as well as a Western Digital® 80Gb Hard Drive that will run
Windows XP Pro ®. The motherboard has integrated sound but I will most
likely upgrade to a higher quality surround sound card when I have saved
enough coin. I should probably also mention that I am in the United States
and I only have basic expanded cable, no digital and no premium channels.
My only question is "What is the best PVR card for me?" I have looked at
several and the top contenders are:

AVerMedia Ultra TV PCI 350 or the Aver TV Studio
Nvidia Personal Cinema (FX based)
Haupauge WinTV-PVR-350
Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Deluxe

I haven't done much research on any of the ATI cards because much of the
information that I have stumbled upon mentions that their drivers are often
[always] buggy and I want something that will work right from the box. In
addition to this I couldn't find any evidence that titantv.com services
support any of the ATI cards. Also, I couldn't find much information
readily available for the ATI PVR line of cards.

Here is what I intend to do. I want to be able to pause/rewind live TV
(duh!) I would like to be able to record TV to the hard drive. With the
titantv.com service (mentioned in the previous paragraph) I can schedule
recording up to eight days in advance, maybe even more as the guide seems to
provide 14 days of programming information. I am thinking of getting into
DVD authoring as well. If I find that I have the time I would like to save
some of my favorite TV shows as well as convert home movies. This PVR PC
will only be used as a PVR. I will not be running any unnecessary apps or
games. I do intend to hook it to a TV (Toshiba 36") through S-Video. This
PVR PC will also act as my DVD player as well.

I am willing to spend around $200.00 or so but could talk myself into $250
if necessary. I just don't want to spend $125 only to realize two weeks
later that if I had spend an additional $30 I could have gotten better
quality or an option or two.

Here are my questions:

Is going VIVO the best route or should I buy an additional video card with
outputs?

If I go with a VIVO card, will that card send the DVD signal out to the TV?

As I write this I am unsure about VIVO support for any of the above
mentioned cards. If these cards do not support VIVO can somebody refer me
to a make/model that supports VIVO?

RE: Nvidia line: What is the difference between the FX5200, FX5600 and the
FX5900? Will the more expensive card provide a better quality PVR
experience? Better options? Opinions? Facts?

If I record to the hard drive for future playback then delete do I need to
be concerned with frame rate and/or frame drop? What about if I decide to
go into DVD authoring? Is this going to be an issue?

For DVD authoring, what is the preferred method of capturing and encoding?
I have read that MPEG2 is the best but I am an amateur in this field.

How difficult is it to navigate Windows® when using a TV instead of a
monitor. Are the fonts difficult to read? What about reading web pages and
working with applications that will be necessary from time to time? Are
some cards better than others when dealing with this situation?

In closing, I have done MUCH research on the topic of PVR cards over the
past three or four days. The preceding questions are the ones that I have
not been able to answer. Please forgive me if any of these questions have
been posted/answered recently. I am also open to suggestions to any other
makes/models that anyone out there has used.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

neopolaris
January 15th 04, 03:48 PM
Lydokane wrote:
> [...]
> pages and working with applications that will be necessary from time
> to time? Are
> some cards better than others when dealing with this situation?
>
> In closing, I have done MUCH research on the topic of PVR cards over
> the
> past three or four days. The preceding questions are the ones that I
> have
> not been able to answer. Please forgive me if any of these questions
> have
> been posted/answered recently. I am also open to suggestions to any
> other makes/models that anyone out there has used.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Lydokane-

> News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
> World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized
> Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Buy a Tivo and stop worrying about it. Our family could NOT watch TV
without it. It doesn't get any easier than a Tivo set top box. I know
that's not what you wanted to see-sorry. Have you tried any of the HTPC
type web pages? There is alot of good info out there, but I agree. There
is no clear choice now.
Windows looks pretty bad on a TV unless you have plasma. The whole 60
refresh rate for the TV thing ruins it for the Windows desktop. Programs
like myHTPC can make manuevering and reading a tad better. It can be found
here: http://myhtpc.net/ Best wishes

neopolaris

Peace, Love, Tivo