PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from a GF3 need advice plz


I just play music
January 13th 04, 03:32 PM
i have a gainward gf3
i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
my system is a P4 2GHz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
xp-home
sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
I need a better card
anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show me
what my options are?
still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
at least a year or so

thanks for any advice

RL
January 13th 04, 05:08 PM
Check toms hardware lots of graphs, etc.

"I just play music" > wrote in message
...
> i have a gainward gf3
> i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
> my system is a P4 2GHz
> 512 megs pc2100 DDR
> (compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
> xp-home
> sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
> I need a better card
> anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show
me
> what my options are?
> still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
> i know most new cards are better than my gf3
> but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
> i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card
for
> at least a year or so
>
> thanks for any advice
>
>
>

Jeremy Stanley
January 13th 04, 08:49 PM
> i have a gainward gf3
....
> i know most new cards are better than my gf3
> but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.

GF4 MX or Radeon 9000/9200 are slower than your GF3.

Radeon 8500/9100 might be a tad faster in some apps, but certainly not
worth the upgrade.

GF FX 5200 isn't a worthwhile upgrade either. DX9 support on paper,
but not enough horsepower to make it useful.

> i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
> at least a year or so

Get at least a GF FX 5700 or Radeon 9600 ($150-$200 depending on
whether it's "Ultra/Pro" or not). You might be able to get an FX5900
(non-ultra) or Radeon 9700 (non-pro) for just a little more.

If you don't want to spend $150, then I'd suggest sticking with your
GF3 until FX5700/Radeon 9600 prices fall to your liking. Anything
less wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade, IMO.

Darthy
January 14th 04, 10:52 AM
Go to this site:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

Best thing for you to get:

$135~160 - ATi 9600Pro/XT
$190~220 - FX5900 or ATI9800



On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:32:54 -0800, "I just play music"
> wrote:

>i have a gainward gf3
>i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
>my system is a P4 2GHz
>512 megs pc2100 DDR
>(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
>xp-home
>sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
>I need a better card
>anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show me
>what my options are?
>still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
>i know most new cards are better than my gf3
>but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
>i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
>at least a year or so
>
>thanks for any advice
>


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

neopolaris
January 15th 04, 03:52 PM
What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom

Darthy wrote:
> Go to this site:
>
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003
>
> Best thing for you to get:
>
> $135~160 - ATi 9600Pro/XT
> $190~220 - FX5900 or ATI9800
>
>
>
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:32:54 -0800, "I just play music"
> > wrote:
>
>> i have a gainward gf3
>> i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
>> my system is a P4 2GHz
>> 512 megs pc2100 DDR
>> (compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
>> xp-home
>> sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
>> I need a better card
>> anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would
>> show me what my options are?
>> still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
>> i know most new cards are better than my gf3
>> but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
>> i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next
>> card for at least a year or so
>>
>> thanks for any advice

Darthy
January 17th 04, 01:08 PM
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:

>What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.
>
>Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
>Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
>Pathetic Tom

I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.

The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
products are: ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.

What is bought out?

Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
power.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

neopolaris
January 17th 04, 07:48 PM
Darthy wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:
>
>> What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.
>>
>> Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
>> Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
>> Pathetic Tom
>
> I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
> nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.
>
> The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
> products are: ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.
>
> What is bought out?
>
> Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
> aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
> settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
> power.

Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too much.
If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so should the GF3.
There is really nothing to dispute.

Darthy
January 18th 04, 12:15 PM
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:48:59 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:

>
>
>Darthy wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:
>>
>>> What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.
>>>
>>> Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
>>> Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
>>> Pathetic Tom
>>
>> I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
>> nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.
>>
>> The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
>> products are: ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.
>>
>> What is bought out?
>>
>> Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
>> aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
>> settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
>> power.
>
>Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too much.
>If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so should the GF3.
>There is really nothing to dispute.

Havent been to toms for a long time... not much.

I used to OWN a GF3 card, still have my Ti4200...

For the LEVEL of quality I like to play my games, GF3 no longer cuts
it... and my GF3 was a great little card.

The OP was asking for advise for upgrading...


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

neopolaris
January 21st 04, 02:22 AM
Darthy wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:48:59 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Darthy wrote:
>>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:
>>>
>>>> What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.
>>>>
>>>> Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not
>>>> there. Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
>>>> Pathetic Tom
>>>
>>> I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
>>> nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.
>>>
>>> The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
>>> products are: ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.
>>>
>>> What is bought out?
>>>
>>> Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
>>> aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
>>> settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the
>>> same power.
>>
>> Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too
>> much. If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so
>> should the GF3. There is really nothing to dispute.
>
> Havent been to toms for a long time... not much.
>
> I used to OWN a GF3 card, still have my Ti4200...
>
> For the LEVEL of quality I like to play my games, GF3 no longer cuts
> it... and my GF3 was a great little card.
>
> The OP was asking for advise for upgrading...

And hense the misdirection of a Toms Bardware guide was gonna help....pffft