PDA

View Full Version : Power indicator: Problem report

f00ge
January 10th 04, 04:58 AM
I've been getting this pop-up message a lot lately:

Power indicator: Problem report

"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics
card is not recieving sufficient power."

"To protect your hardware... bla bla bla.... the graphics processor has
lowered its performance to... bla bla bla..."

This message pops up not only when I use a 3D application, but has also
started to annoy me in desktop, with the system being completely idle.
Last time I counted 51 of these ******* messages - at once!

Needless to say, I cannot play games anymore. And now it's starting to
interfere with my desktop work.

My card is a Gainward FX5900 on an Asus K8V-Deluxe motherboard.

I've checked the cable to the card, and even replaced it with another.
My PSU is 450W - which really should be enough, as I don't have many hard
drives etc. My CPU is 2GHz (Athlon64 3200+).

Weird thing is, I've had no troubles for weeks. And now it has started
again. This time excessively.

Any suggestions?

f00ge
January 10th 04, 05:09 AM
Forgot to mention that the card is not overclocked.
I even underclocked it; same problem.

The card is 62c, according to NVidia panel.

Boris Gjenero
January 10th 04, 06:29 AM
Assuming the detection is correct you should probably take the card
out, inspect the card and connector, checking that they're clean and
undamaged, and carefully plug it back in. You should do the same to
the motherboad power connector. Also check to see that the
connections aren't too loose.

If that doesn't fix it I'd get a voltmeter (meaning probably a DMM -
digital multimeter) and see what's actually going on. If you don't
have one you could get one for pretty cheap. Maybe the power supply
is defective out of adjustment. This may be adjustable but be very
careful.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:58:30 +0100, "f00ge"
> wrote:

>I've been getting this pop-up message a lot lately:
>
>Power indicator: Problem report
>
>"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics
>card is not recieving sufficient power."
>
>"To protect your hardware... bla bla bla.... the graphics processor has
>lowered its performance to... bla bla bla..."
>
>This message pops up not only when I use a 3D application, but has also
>started to annoy me in desktop, with the system being completely idle.
>Last time I counted 51 of these ******* messages - at once!
>
>Needless to say, I cannot play games anymore. And now it's starting to
>interfere with my desktop work.
>
>My card is a Gainward FX5900 on an Asus K8V-Deluxe motherboard.
>
>I've checked the cable to the card, and even replaced it with another.
>My PSU is 450W - which really should be enough, as I don't have many hard
>drives etc. My CPU is 2GHz (Athlon64 3200+).
>
>Weird thing is, I've had no troubles for weeks. And now it has started
>again. This time excessively.
>
>Any suggestions?

John Fraser
January 10th 04, 02:12 PM
"f00ge" > wrote in message
k...
> I've been getting this pop-up message a lot lately:
>
> Power indicator: Problem report
>
> "The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics
> card is not recieving sufficient power."
>
> "To protect your hardware... bla bla bla.... the graphics processor has
> lowered its performance to... bla bla bla..."
>
> This message pops up not only when I use a 3D application, but has also
> started to annoy me in desktop, with the system being completely idle.
> Last time I counted 51 of these ******* messages - at once!
>
> Needless to say, I cannot play games anymore. And now it's starting to
> interfere with my desktop work.
>
> My card is a Gainward FX5900 on an Asus K8V-Deluxe motherboard.
>
> I've checked the cable to the card, and even replaced it with another.
> My PSU is 450W - which really should be enough, as I don't have many hard
> drives etc. My CPU is 2GHz (Athlon64 3200+).
>
> Weird thing is, I've had no troubles for weeks. And now it has started
> again. This time excessively.
>
> Any suggestions?

Bench test the power supply to check if voltage, current, and waveform
are specifications are still valid.

Cheers,
John

f00ge
January 11th 04, 01:21 AM
I have now switched the PSU for another 450W (different brand).
I connected the video card using one of the cables directly from the PSU (no
dividers).

So far no error reports.
Only thing was my PC just completely shut down - out of nowhere - while
browsing with IE.
And the PSU is extremely hot. I burn my finger, if I touch outside the PSU
fan. Worries me a bit.

The Black Wibble
January 11th 04, 02:39 AM
"f00ge" > wrote in message k...
> I have now switched the PSU for another 450W (different brand).
> I connected the video card using one of the cables directly from the PSU (no
> dividers).
>
> So far no error reports.
> Only thing was my PC just completely shut down - out of nowhere - while
> browsing with IE.
> And the PSU is extremely hot. I burn my finger, if I touch outside the PSU
> fan. Worries me a bit.

Bloody Hell! It would worry me, too. What could stress a 450W PSU as to make it that hot? It's as though
some component on your motherboard or graphics card is about to cause a short circuit. Nasty...

Tony

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

f00ge
January 11th 04, 02:54 AM
"The Black Wibble" > wrote

> Bloody Hell! It would worry me, too. What could stress a 450W PSU as to
make it that hot? It's as though
> some component on your motherboard or graphics card is about to cause a
short circuit. Nasty...

I don't know...
Don't know what to do.

The Black Wibble
January 11th 04, 04:36 AM
"f00ge" > wrote in message k...
> "The Black Wibble" > wrote
>
> > Bloody Hell! It would worry me, too. What could stress a 450W PSU as to
> make it that hot? It's as though
> > some component on your motherboard or graphics card is about to cause a
> short circuit. Nasty...
>
> I don't know...
> Don't know what to do.

I found this on the web:
----
A bad or failing power supply can cause a PC to not boot, reboot randomly or cause USB devices to become
unreliable.
It's the power supply's responsibility to convert the AC power coming out of the wall into safe DC current for
the PC. Power surges or dirty electricity can lessen the lifespan of a power supply.

o Some symptoms of a bad or failing PSU can include:

o Random reboots.

o The fan on the power supply no longer spins or spins slowly.

o The PSU is hot to the touch.

o The computer is completely dead.

Random reboots can be caused by an overloaded power supply. The power supply sends a signal to the
motherboard that resets it when the voltage dips below an established threshold. In this instance, the PSU
should be upgraded to a unit with higher voltage.

If the computer is completely dead, make sure the switch is in the | position on the PSU unit in the back.
Not all power supplies have this feature, though. It's also possible that the connection to the motherboard
is not correct. In addition to the main connector, some motherboards also require additional ATXAux or ATX12v
connectors.
----

Did your other 450W PSU run scolding hot?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PDC20378 IDE/SATA controller
ADI AD1985 audio
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

f00ge
January 11th 04, 03:27 PM
"The Black Wibble" > wrote:

> Did your other 450W PSU run scolding hot?

No, it didn't.
But there I had insufficient power to the video card. :/

Boris Gjenero
January 12th 04, 01:37 AM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:54:30 +0100, "f00ge"
> wrote:

>"The Black Wibble" > wrote
>
>> Bloody Hell! It would worry me, too. What could stress a 450W PSU as to
>make it that hot? It's as though
>> some component on your motherboard or graphics card is about to cause a
>short circuit. Nasty...
>
>I don't know...
>Don't know what to do.

If some component is drawing too much power and overloading a 450W PSU
that component would be extremely hot and you should be able to find
it.

It's also possible for a PSU to not work right or overheat because
there is a problem with the AC input.. low voltage, excessive
resistance or even high voltage.

--
Boris

John Fraser
January 12th 04, 02:20 PM
Good morning;

"f00ge" > wrote in message
k...
> I have now switched the PSU for another 450W (different brand).
> I connected the video card using one of the cables directly from the PSU
(no
> dividers).
>
> So far no error reports.
> Only thing was my PC just completely shut down - out of nowhere - while
> browsing with IE.
> And the PSU is extremely hot. I burn my finger, if I touch outside the PSU
> fan. Worries me a bit.

Well, one of two things: you now have a switching power supply (they
typically run quite hot) or you have something drawing quite a load as 450
watts is a lot of power. Is your computer now shutting down without
warning? If so, your problem lies with a component on your motherboard or a
connection somewhere. Check the circuit traces, check to see if something
is inadvertently grounded to the case, and lastly, check for discolouration.

Cheers,
John