PDA

View Full Version : Turn your FX5900 into a full FX5950

ntl: Victim
January 10th 04, 01:17 AM
For those of you interested you may want to read this
http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

ntl: Victim
January 10th 04, 01:51 AM
Small addition, I haven't had much luck in downloading the bios yet and
since Gainward don't allow you to download them directly, you have to use
the expert tool of which only allows you to get the bios specific to your
card, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a 1800XP golden
sample if they would be so kind as to upload it somewhere and post a link to
it...

TIA
N.V.

is a dead address, no emails
sent to this address can ever be retrived......

"ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> For those of you interested you may want to read this
> http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

Armando Arroyo
January 10th 04, 03:01 AM
I have the Leadtek bios and worked just great in my MSI GeForce FX 5900,
five hours of gaming and the temp is around 49 celsius

--
Greetings,
Armando Arroyo

Intel P4 - 2.60Ghz HTT, 1.0Gb DDR400 Kingston
MSI Neo2 875FIS2R Mobo, MSI GeForce FX 5900,
SB Audigy, HD 80Gb UATA133, Windows XP SP1

"ntl: Victim" > escribió en el mensaje
> Small addition, I haven't had much luck in downloading the bios yet and
> since Gainward don't allow you to download them directly, you have to use
> the expert tool of which only allows you to get the bios specific to your
> card, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a 1800XP golden
> sample if they would be so kind as to upload it somewhere and post a link
> it...
>

> TIA
> N.V.

> is a dead address, no emails
> sent to this address can ever be retrived......
>
> "ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> > For those of you interested you may want to read this
> > http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

f00ge
January 10th 04, 03:28 AM
Yeah, same here.
Need that BIOS, too.

"ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> Small addition, I haven't had much luck in downloading the bios yet and
> since Gainward don't allow you to download them directly, you have to use
> the expert tool of which only allows you to get the bios specific to your
> card, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a 1800XP golden
> sample if they would be so kind as to upload it somewhere and post a link
> it...
>

> TIA
> N.V.

> is a dead address, no emails
> sent to this address can ever be retrived......
>
> "ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> > For those of you interested you may want to read this
> > http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

ntl: Victim
January 10th 04, 08:58 AM
News

I've managed to find a download link to the BIOS file for the Gainward FX
1800XP Ultra GS card. There are 2 possible files one ending in 400 & the
other ending in 300 I did assume that the 400 would be the newer so I
flashed with that one 1st but after an expert update check the 300 is listed
as the actual newer BIOS file created in December (2 months after the 400).

The link is below:

http://driver.gainward.com.tw/Lan/Nvidia/Bios/geforcefx/fx5950ultra/5950e300.zip

It all appears to be working okay so far, Temps are the same as they were
when running with the original BIOS maxing out at 67 deg Celsius when
clocked at 500MHz Core / 1GHz Memory.

"f00ge" > wrote in message
k...
> Yeah, same here.
> Need that BIOS, too.
>
> "ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> > Small addition, I haven't had much luck in downloading the bios yet and
> > since Gainward don't allow you to download them directly, you have to
use
> > the expert tool of which only allows you to get the bios specific to
your
> > card, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a 1800XP
golden
> > sample if they would be so kind as to upload it somewhere and post a
link
> > it...
> >

> > TIA
> > N.V.

> > is a dead address, no emails
> > sent to this address can ever be retrived......
> >
> > "ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> > > For those of you interested you may want to read this
> > > http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

NeonShark
January 10th 04, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have a eVGA FX5950U bios?

"ntl: Victim" > wrote in message
> For those of you interested you may want to read this
> http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

January 10th 04, 01:06 PM
Just flashed my Leadtek A350 TDH LX and it is now showing as a A380 5950
ultra. Ran 3dmark03 and score jumped from 5100 to 5800. No problems running
same temps as before.

This is how I did it.......

1 download A380 bios file from leadtek.com.
2 Extract all files and then rename file A380u_2987.rom to A380u.rom
3 Make a floppy boot disk and then send all extracted files to this disk (
a380u.rom,wfflash.exe)
4 Reboot with floppy in.
5 At A: prompt write: wfflash.exe nm a380u.rom
6 when your card is flashed reboot

Worked for me.

---

January 10th 04, 02:42 PM
Ive also got a leadtek A350 TDH LX card.

Surely this cant work? Hasnt the 5950 Ultra got way faster memory and
gpu than our 5900?

Also if the update dosent work, will i be left with a knackered card?

Really want to try this but it scares me to death that i may ruin a
newish card!!

regards

paul
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:06:18 +0000 (UTC), "Ads"
> wrote:

>Just flashed my Leadtek A350 TDH LX and it is now showing as a A380 5950
>ultra. Ran 3dmark03 and score jumped from 5100 to 5800. No problems running
>same temps as before.
>
>This is how I did it.......
>
>1 download A380 bios file from leadtek.com.
>2 Extract all files and then rename file A380u_2987.rom to A380u.rom
>3 Make a floppy boot disk and then send all extracted files to this disk (
>a380u.rom,wfflash.exe)
>4 Reboot with floppy in.
>5 At A: prompt write: wfflash.exe nm a380u.rom
>6 when your card is flashed reboot
>
>Worked for me.

>---

January 10th 04, 04:45 PM
ok,

just done the update and it worked, windows redetected the card as
well.

My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.

My other system spec is

athlon xp 2400+
512mb ddr pc2100 ram
160gb hdd
liteon 8x dvd writer
liteon 48x cd writer
elite k7s5a motherboard ( 4xAGP )

Using driver version 45.23 i think

Should i install the latest drivers?

regards

paul

>>---

January 10th 04, 05:23 PM
Further to my previous post I have installed the latest drivers from
nvidia website and ran 3dmark03. I got 5166. Is this a decent score
for a 5950 ultra? Bear in mind my system spec xp2400+, 512mb pc2100,
k7s5a mobo that only supports 4x agp.

Also forgot to say before my soundcard is an audigy 2 zs.

Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
check the memory and core speed.

Will the memory still be running at the slower 2.8ns or will it now be
2.2ns?

It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
its the better card and nothing more?

regards

paul

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:45:04 +0000, wrote:

>ok,
>
>just done the update and it worked, windows redetected the card as
>well.
>
>My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.
>
>My other system spec is
>
>athlon xp 2400+
>512mb ddr pc2100 ram
>160gb hdd
>liteon 8x dvd writer
>liteon 48x cd writer
>elite k7s5a motherboard ( 4xAGP )
>
>Using driver version 45.23 i think
>
>Should i install the latest drivers?
>
>regards
>
>paul
>>>

>>>---

Alan
January 10th 04, 06:10 PM
> My benchmark score is only 10500, no different than before the update.
>
> My other system spec is
>
> athlon xp 2400+
> 512mb ddr pc2100 ram

its probably processor/ram limited so speeding the graphics card up didnt
make any difference

alan

Courseyauto
January 10th 04, 06:25 PM
Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
check the memory and core speed.

Will the memory still be running at the slower 2.8ns or will it now be
2.2ns?

It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
its the better card and nothing more?

regards

paul

Do a cold boot of your system and see what it tells you in the first screen
as to you video card details. DOUG

Alan Guest
January 10th 04, 06:51 PM
I have a FX5900SP-VTD256 made by MSI would it work for me?

Alan
"Ads" > wrote in message
> Just flashed my Leadtek A350 TDH LX and it is now showing as a A380 5950
> ultra. Ran 3dmark03 and score jumped from 5100 to 5800. No problems
running
> same temps as before.
>
> This is how I did it.......
>
> 1 download A380 bios file from leadtek.com.
> 2 Extract all files and then rename file A380u_2987.rom to A380u.rom
> 3 Make a floppy boot disk and then send all extracted files to this disk (
> a380u.rom,wfflash.exe)
> 4 Reboot with floppy in.
> 5 At A: prompt write: wfflash.exe nm a380u.rom
> 6 when your card is flashed reboot
>
> Worked for me.

> ---

Dan Dan
January 10th 04, 08:24 PM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:42:35 +0000, wrote:

>Ive also got a leadtek A350 TDH LX card.
>
>Surely this cant work? Hasnt the 5950 Ultra got way faster memory and
>gpu than our 5900?
>
>Also if the update dosent work, will i be left with a knackered card?
>
>Really want to try this but it scares me to death that i may ruin a
>newish card!!

I have exactly the same card. I flashed successfully and found (as has
been reported) that I can up the core timings to higher than before.
For some reason, in my case the memory timings won't budge. I got from
460/960 to 501/960 but..........and it's a BIG but.............I'm
finding that there is no real difference in 3DMark 2003. My previous
score was 5912 and it's now 6020. I put that pretty tiny difference
down to the fact that I probably spent more time tweaking on this
occasion.

The interesting thing is that where before when I pushed it higher
than it could go I was getting artifacts (and bad rendering of the
plane wings in Wings of Fury) on 3DMark 03; but now there are no
artifacts or rendering problems but 3DMark freezes now and
again.....same bottom line though..

I've seen no evidence so far on the various forums that this mod has
any real performance effect on the LX version of this card. The Ultras
and Non Ultras are a different kettle of fish. The only relevance that
the LX card has to the whole issue is that the original Korean site
that reported the mod happened to use it to see if the mod would
work.

Dan

The Black Wibble
January 11th 04, 01:57 AM
If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950, what advantage would flashing his card
with an fx5950 BIOS give him?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

f00ge
January 11th 04, 02:53 AM
Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?

I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
None of them will flash my card.
Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch (that's
when using aflash -5 -6 filename)

Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
What exactly was the command line?

Thanks,

Armando Arroyo
January 11th 04, 05:45 AM
I used the leadtek with the "wfflash nm a380u.rom" command and it worked
great on my MSI 5900, hope that helps... ;)

--
Greetings,
Armando Arroyo
Mexico City, MX

Intel P4 - 2.60Ghz HTT, 1.0Gb DDR400 Kingston
MSI Neo2 875FIS2R Mobo, MSI GeForce FX 5900,
SB Audigy, HD 80Gb UATA133, Windows XP SP1

"f00ge" > escribió en el mensaje
k...
> Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?
>
> I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
> None of them will flash my card.
> Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch
(that's
> when using aflash -5 -6 filename)
>
> Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
> What exactly was the command line?
>
> Thanks,

Nom
January 11th 04, 02:33 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:57:25 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
> > wrote:
>
> >If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950,
what advantage would flashing his card
> >with an fx5950 BIOS give him?
> >

> None, unless you also believe in leprechauns and tooth fairies. It is
> fairly obvious that those indulging in this dangerous BIOS mod have
> never heard of Coolbits.
>
> The 5950 has specially selected GPUs and faster memory, allowing
> higher <<default>> clock speeds than any 5900. BIOS
> has nothing to do with the speed in 3D mode. However those
> lucky enough with the parts on their specific board can push
> up the speed with Coolbits, maybe if very, very lucky to 5950
> rates. However, if the new BIOS raises the default clock rate
> on a 5900 to that of a 5950 in 3D mode, then it may be necessary
> to LOWER the clock rate using Coolbits to make it work
> properly again. Beware, the 3D benchmarks do not fully exercise
> all speed-related failure modes, regardless of how long they are
> cycled. A combination of them with Halo is a much better test,
> especially the Halo cut-scenes at very high resolutions. They will
> freeze if you exceed memory margins.

Er, I suggest you go and do some research, and get a clue, before posting
such mis-informed rubbish.

You can start with this thread over @ Futuremark :
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=techdisplayadapters&Number=3281425&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

The 5950U BIOS both raises the GPU's Core Voltage by 0.2v and backs off the
memory timings slightly - meaning you can clock MUCH higher with the BIOS
flash. There are PLENTY of people who couldn't reach the 5950U Clockspeeds
before the flash - and now they can.

> BTW, IMHO, this is the most ridiculous thread of the year, so far.
> And April 1 is not here yet.

Unfortunately, yours is the most ridiculous post of the year so far. You've
just waded in, with no background knowledge whatsoever, saying that the net
result is zero. This is quite clearly not the case - this story is all over
the web right now, and you'd have seen that if you'd bothered to look !

Darthy
January 11th 04, 05:17 PM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:23:00 +0000, wrote:

>Further to my previous post I have installed the latest drivers from
>nvidia website and ran 3dmark03. I got 5166. Is this a decent score
>for a 5950 ultra? Bear in mind my system spec xp2400+, 512mb pc2100,
>k7s5a mobo that only supports 4x agp.

3DMark03 5421 = ATI9800PRO (no overclock) AMD2500+ (no overclock) with
PC333RAM Nforc3 board.

>Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
>5950 ultra? What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
>to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before? What utils arethere to
>check the memory and core speed.

www.aida32.hu = free, tells you everything about your hardware, this
is free, 100% - awsome program. Get enterprise version.

>It could be that this update process just fools the pc into thinking
>its the better card and nothing more?

duno

Play games... should have wrote down FPS in games first.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
January 11th 04, 05:21 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:51:13 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:57:25 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
> wrote:
>
>>If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950, what advantage would flashing his card
>>with an fx5950 BIOS give him?
>>

>None, unless you also believe in leprechauns and tooth fairies. It is
>fairly obvious that those indulging in this dangerous BIOS mod have
>never heard of Coolbits.
>
>The 5950 has specially selected GPUs and faster memory, allowing
>higher <<default>> clock speeds than any 5900. BIOS
>has nothing to do with the speed in 3D mode. However those
>lucky enough with the parts on their specific board can push
>up the speed with Coolbits, maybe if very, very lucky to 5950
>rates. However, if the new BIOS raises the default clock rate
>on a 5900 to that of a 5950 in 3D mode, then it may be necessary
>to LOWER the clock rate using Coolbits to make it work
>properly again. Beware, the 3D benchmarks do not fully exercise
>all speed-related failure modes, regardless of how long they are
>cycled. A combination of them with Halo is a much better test,
>especially the Halo cut-scenes at very high resolutions. They will
>freeze if you exceed memory margins.
>
>BTW, IMHO, this is the most ridiculous thread of the year, so far.
>And April 1 is not here yet.

Oh ****!!

Guess what we can post!

ATTENTION!!!

New BIOS upgrade converts ALL fx5200 into fx5600cards!!

or New BIOS update converts all fx cards into ATI cards!!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

John Lewis
January 11th 04, 11:19 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:33:19 -0000, "Nom" >
wrote:

>"John Lewis" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:57:25 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950,
>what advantage would flashing his card
>> >with an fx5950 BIOS give him?
>> >

>> None, unless you also believe in leprechauns and tooth fairies. It is
>> fairly obvious that those indulging in this dangerous BIOS mod have
>> never heard of Coolbits.
>>
>> The 5950 has specially selected GPUs and faster memory, allowing
>> higher <<default>> clock speeds than any 5900. BIOS
>> has nothing to do with the speed in 3D mode. However those
>> lucky enough with the parts on their specific board can push
>> up the speed with Coolbits, maybe if very, very lucky to 5950
>> rates. However, if the new BIOS raises the default clock rate
>> on a 5900 to that of a 5950 in 3D mode, then it may be necessary
>> to LOWER the clock rate using Coolbits to make it work
>> properly again. Beware, the 3D benchmarks do not fully exercise
>> all speed-related failure modes, regardless of how long they are
>> cycled. A combination of them with Halo is a much better test,
>> especially the Halo cut-scenes at very high resolutions. They will
>> freeze if you exceed memory margins.
>
>Er, I suggest you go and do some research, and get a clue, before posting
>such mis-informed rubbish.
>
>You can start with this thread over @ Futuremark :
>http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=techdisplayadapters&Number=3281425&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1
>
>The 5950U BIOS both raises the GPU's Core Voltage by 0.2v and backs off the
>memory timings slightly - meaning you can clock MUCH higher with the BIOS
>flash.

Thanks for the info -- I stand corrected...............

>There are PLENTY of people who couldn't reach the 5950U Clockspeeds
>before the flash - and now they can.

And that translates in what improvement in real performance ??
Clock-rate is not the whole story.........

I presume that you have a 5900. Please detail the exact improvement
on your board after the BIOS upgrade. I don't expect a quick answer.
It should take you 2-3 days running all your benchmarks and
applications with zero crashes, slow-downs or freezes to set the true
max GPU and Mem clock rates, then to measure the actual frame-rate
performanceimprovement -- having already benchmarked before the
upgrade !!!.

Certainly the 0.2v increase in core voltage may improve matters
slightly if not offset by the slow-down due to increase in chip-temp.
My experience with core voltage increases on the fastest P4
processors (0.13u technology also ) has been disappointing
due to the offsetting effect of temp-rise.

And relaxing the memory timings may make the memory
apparently clock faster ( good for marketing specmanship)
but may even slow down actual data-flow.

>> BTW, IMHO, this is the most ridiculous thread of the year, so far.
>> And April 1 is not here yet.
>
>Unfortunately, yours is the most ridiculous post of the year so far. You've
>just waded in, with no background knowledge whatsoever, saying that the net
>result is zero.

> This is quite clearly not the case - this story is all over
>the web right now, and you'd have seen that if you'd bothered to look !

For some, the story can turn into a Grimm's fairy tale of failed BIOS
programming, artifacts and poorer performance.

applying an after-market turbo to a stock engine without
the necessary cylinder-head, manifold and exhaust changes.

John Lewis

Dan Dan
January 12th 04, 12:59 AM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:19:42 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

>I presume that you have a 5900. Please detail the exact improvement
>on your board after the BIOS upgrade.

I'm as cynical as you about this. I've read marvelous stories in other
forums about significant overclocking and better results in 3DMark
but I wonder if they're the result of falling into the trap I found
myself falling into........putting more effort into tweaking this Bios
than the one before and therefore having some apparent success.

The other complicating factor is that this Bios does indeed allow
higher clock rates and I suspect people are immediately assuming that
that's better of itself. That factor also makes it more difficult to
compare like with like. To update on my previous post in this thread,
I had said that I got a slight increase in 3DMark 2003. I subsequently
found that while 3DMark runs fine, some games are freezing unless I
reduce the clock rates to a level that gives a lower score than the
old Bios!. I've had to go back to the old Bios.

As I previously said, the really strange thing about this bios
'upgrade' is that it does seem to change the nature of the instability
you get when you overclock. When pushed too far, the old bios would
run 3DMark ok but would give artifacts and 'faulty rendering' (rainbow
colours on some surfaces?). This new bios causes freeze ups before it
gets to that stage but the 3DMarks scores at stable levels are not
significantly different. I wonder why?

I've got the Leadtec A350 TDH LX (lower speed memory, which may be
part of the problem).

Dan

Nom
January 12th 04, 09:54 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> >There are PLENTY of people who couldn't reach the 5950U Clockspeeds
> >before the flash - and now they can.
>
> And that translates in what improvement in real performance ??
> Clock-rate is not the whole story.........

Well if you could only reach 450/800 before the flash, and then 500/1000
after the flash, there's quite clearly going to be a marked improvement :)

> I presume that you have a 5900. Please detail the exact improvement
> on your board after the BIOS upgrade. I don't expect a quick answer.
> It should take you 2-3 days running all your benchmarks and
> applications with zero crashes, slow-downs or freezes to set the true
> max GPU and Mem clock rates, then to measure the actual frame-rate
> performanceimprovement -- having already benchmarked before the
> upgrade !!!.

I've got a 5900XT (400/700 stock clocks), but I've not bothered flashing it.
I don't plan to either.

There have been plenty of benchmarks (before and after) posted in the
previously linked thread @ Futuremark though.

> Certainly the 0.2v increase in core voltage may improve matters
> slightly if not offset by the slow-down due to increase in chip-temp.
> My experience with core voltage increases on the fastest P4
> processors (0.13u technology also ) has been disappointing
> due to the offsetting effect of temp-rise.

Again, see the thread @ Futuremark. The temp increase is minimal, if any.
I put this down to the fan spinning slightly quicker with the 5950U BIOS -
this is backed up by the statements from a few people saying their cards had
got louder.

> And relaxing the memory timings may make the memory
> apparently clock faster ( good for marketing specmanship)
> but may even slow down actual data-flow.

Yep.
If you clock 475/950 before the flash, and then 475/950 after the flash,
you'll find your performance has decreased !

> > This is quite clearly not the case - this story is all over
> >the web right now, and you'd have seen that if you'd bothered to look !
>
> For some, the story can turn into a Grimm's fairy tale of failed BIOS
> programming, artifacts and poorer performance.

Bear in mind though, the risks are VERY small. I've only read one or two
reports of it not working (compared to the hundreds saying w00h00), and it's
trivial to flash back your old BIOS (which you backed up first) if you run
into problems.

> applying an after-market turbo to a stock engine without
> the necessary cylinder-head, manifold and exhaust changes.

Yep.
But as long as the net result is 100% stable, then it's just fine - this is
the whole principal of overclocking.
I myself run my 200bhp Turbo car at 12psi, instead of the stock 10psi, for a
small "free" performance boost.

Nom
January 12th 04, 09:59 AM
"Dan Dan" > wrote in message
> The other complicating factor is that this Bios does indeed allow
> higher clock rates and I suspect people are immediately assuming that
> that's better of itself. That factor also makes it more difficult to
> compare like with like. To update on my previous post in this thread,
> I had said that I got a slight increase in 3DMark 2003. I subsequently
> found that while 3DMark runs fine, some games are freezing unless I
> reduce the clock rates to a level that gives a lower score than the
> old Bios!. I've had to go back to the old Bios.

Yeah, you only really get an improvement from the new BIOS, if you can
successfully run the higher clockspeeds that it allows. If you keep the same
speeds you had previously, your performance is actually reduced - as you've
seen :)

> As I previously said, the really strange thing about this bios
> 'upgrade' is that it does seem to change the nature of the instability
> you get when you overclock. When pushed too far, the old bios would
> run 3DMark ok but would give artifacts and 'faulty rendering' (rainbow
> colours on some surfaces?). This new bios causes freeze ups before it
> gets to that stage but the 3DMarks scores at stable levels are not
> significantly different. I wonder why?

IIRC, "artifacts and faulty rendering" mean your memory is clocked too high,
and "freeze ups" mean your CPU is clocked too high, and/or overheating.

My card isn't overclocked, but if I turn off all my case fans, and play for
half an hour or so, it begins to freeze up for a few seconds every minute or
so - and the card gets VERY hot !

> I've got the Leadtec A350 TDH LX (lower speed memory, which may be
> part of the problem).

Inno3D 5900XT here - same 2.8ns slower speed memory, which is why I haven't
bothered doing the flash. I get artifacts if I clock any higher than
420/735, so I think the chances of my card managing the 5950U speeds after
the flash, is slim-to-none :)

Nom
January 12th 04, 10:00 AM
"william bell" > wrote in message
> Seems its one for the Dumb teenagers that like to get some thing for
nothing..

That's exactly what it's for.
The basic premise is that the 5950U BIOS will increase the overclocking
ability of your card. Whether this is a good thing or not, depends on the
person in question.

Nom
January 12th 04, 10:02 AM
"f00ge" > wrote in message
k...
> Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?
>
> I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
> None of them will flash my card.
> Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch
(that's
> when using aflash -5 -6 filename)
>
> Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
> What exactly was the command line?

Make an MS-DOS bootdisk

2. Reboot using the bootdisk

3. Type 'a:\nvflash -b original.rom'
this backs up your original bios

4. Type 'a:\nvflash -f n5950u.rom -u -p'
restart and you're done.

From : http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=4045

Nom
January 12th 04, 10:06 AM
"Courseyauto" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to check that the card has indeed been turned into a
> 5950 ultra?

Run some benchmarks, before and after.

> What should the memory speeds be for a 5950 ultra compared
> to the leadtek A350 TDH LX that it was before?

400/700 for the LX/XT cards, then 475/950 for the 5950U cards.

> What utils arethere to
> check the memory and core speed.

The nVidia drivers will do it, as long as you've installed Coolbits.

> Will the memory still be running at the slower 2.8ns or will it now be
> 2.2ns?

It will be running at 950MHz instead of the previous 700MHz. But it will
still be 2.8ns memory.

Nom
January 12th 04, 10:08 AM
"The Black Wibble" > wrote in message
> If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950, what
advantage would flashing his card
> with an fx5950 BIOS give him?

If you keep the same 475/950 speeds after the flash, then the advantage will
be zero. Infact, your performance will REDUCE, because the 5950U BIOS backs
off the memory timings slightly.

BUT, the flash will likely let you set much higher speeds - so if you can
then clock to 530/1050 (for example) then you'll obviously get better
performance.

The Black Wibble
January 12th 04, 12:03 PM
"Nom" > wrote in message ...
> "The Black Wibble" > wrote in message
> > If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950, what
> advantage would flashing his card
> > with an fx5950 BIOS give him?
>
> If you keep the same 475/950 speeds after the flash, then the advantage will
> be zero. Infact, your performance will REDUCE, because the 5950U BIOS backs
> off the memory timings slightly.
>
> BUT, the flash will likely let you set much higher speeds - so if you can
> then clock to 530/1050 (for example) then you'll obviously get better
> performance.

1050? My card has 2.2ns memory and I can get only 985 max without introducing nasty screen artifacts and,
besides, the mem clock slider in Display Properties only goes up to 1000. :-)

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PDC20378 IDE/SATA controller
ADI AD1985 audio
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora
PC-70 Lian Li case w/ side window
Hitachi 174SXW B 17" LCD

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

John Lewis
January 12th 04, 08:05 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:02:20 -0000, "Nom" >
wrote:

>"f00ge" > wrote in message
k...
>> Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?
>>
>> I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
>> None of them will flash my card.
>> Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch
>(that's
>> when using aflash -5 -6 filename)
>>
>> Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
>> What exactly was the command line?
>
>Make an MS-DOS bootdisk
>
>2. Reboot using the bootdisk
>
>3. Type 'a:\nvflash -b original.rom'
>this backs up your original bios
>
>4. Type 'a:\nvflash -f n5950u.rom -u -p'
>restart and you're done.
>
>From : http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=4045

I think that the questioner was endeavoring to find out how to get the

right version of nvflash to put on the floppy disk in the first place.
You missed out this vital step in making the boot-disk. I hope he can
read Korean since the links in the above URL message no longer
appear to work.

John Lewis

OverKlocker
January 13th 04, 05:19 AM
>And my Budget Gigabyte Fx5900XT gives 5402 , so the ATI is a utter load of
>Crap..

hmmm, and my 9700Pro (overclocked of course) gets 5822 with stock
heatsink and fan (ARCTIC COOLING VGA SILENCER on the way)

System Specs:
Asus A7N8X Del 2.0 (1007 Uber bios)
2500+ @3200+ (2.24 Ghz) 203 fsb (still playing with it)
Thermalright SLK-800(A) (with AS3 and 80mm Denki fan)
1Gb Corsair pc3200 CL2 (2 sticks, with platnium heat spreaders)
Radeon 9700 Pro retail w/Aluminum ram sinks
160gig Maxtor SATA 7200rpm 8mb (XP Home SP1)
Optorite dd0203 DVD burner
Artec 52x24x52 cdrw
Lian-Li pc10 (with window and light mod)
550W Antec True Power PSU
Phoebe v.92 pci modem
onboard sound
onboard nic

Nom
January 13th 04, 09:54 AM
"The Black Wibble" > wrote in message
> "Nom" > wrote in message
> > "The Black Wibble" > wrote in message
> > > If an fx5900 owner set the 3D clock/mem speed of his card to 475/950,
what
> > advantage would flashing his card
> > > with an fx5950 BIOS give him?
> >
> > If you keep the same 475/950 speeds after the flash, then the advantage
will
> > be zero. Infact, your performance will REDUCE, because the 5950U BIOS
backs
> > off the memory timings slightly.
> >
> > BUT, the flash will likely let you set much higher speeds - so if you
can
> > then clock to 530/1050 (for example) then you'll obviously get better
> > performance.
>
> 1050? My card has 2.2ns memory and I can get only 985 max without
introducing nasty screen artifacts and,
> besides, the mem clock slider in Display Properties only goes up to 1000.
:-)

Yep, I just plucked those figures out of the air :) Bear in mind that some
people can reach clocks of over 1000 for their RAM though ! Luck of the draw
I suppose.

Nom
January 13th 04, 09:59 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:02:20 -0000, "Nom" >
> wrote:
>
> >"f00ge" > wrote in message
> k...
> >> Right, has anyone actually done this sccuessfully with a Gainward card?
> >>
> >> I've tried every ROM and every NVflash version I could find.
> >> None of them will flash my card.
> >> Either I get the readme file displayed, or I get a Board ID mismatch
> >(that's
> >> when using aflash -5 -6 filename)
> >>
> >> Whatr version nvflash dod you use?
> >> What exactly was the command line?
> >
> >Make an MS-DOS bootdisk
> >
> >2. Reboot using the bootdisk
> >
> >3. Type 'a:\nvflash -b original.rom'
> >this backs up your original bios
> >
> >4. Type 'a:\nvflash -f n5950u.rom -u -p'
> >restart and you're done.
> >
> >From : http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=4045
> >

> I think that the questioner was endeavoring to find out how to get the
> right version of nvflash to put on the floppy disk in the first place.
> You missed out this vital step in making the boot-disk.

I'm not sure it matters to be honest. IIRC though, you need at least V4 to
flash the FX cards. Anyhow, it's trivial for him to try a different version
if need be !

> I hope he can
> read Korean since the links in the above URL message no longer
> appear to work.

Correct. A quick Google gives plenty of download links for various versions
of nvflash, and the BIOS is easily downloaded straight from LeadTek's site.

Stephan Laske
January 14th 04, 12:46 PM
The website on www.3dcenter.de has all tools and bios versions collected
in one file for free download. Their boot discs work automatically even
when the screen does not work! My Asus FX 5900Ultra runs much smoother
as a FX 5950 Ultra now :-)