PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. - GeForce 4 Ti4000 series


Darthy
December 20th 03, 12:40 PM
As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
of your spinctor while your date is waiting.

If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
able to buy it!!

Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
& 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.

Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
pocket.

Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.

One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)

Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.


R I P good Card...


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Flow
December 20th 03, 01:31 PM
Maybe the fx5700 will do any good?
Let's see what this card will do in future.
b.t.w. im still happy with my ti4400.

"Darthy" > schreef in bericht
...
> As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
> If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> able to buy it!!
>
> Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
> Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> pocket.
>
> Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
> One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
> Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
> R I P good Card...
>
>
> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Dark Avenger
December 20th 03, 04:04 PM
Darthy > wrote in message >...
> As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
> If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> able to buy it!!
>
> Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
> Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> pocket.
>
> Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
> One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
> Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
> R I P good Card...

It's to bad it's leaving, but the card is marketing seen to good!

Aslong as the ti4x00 is on the market nvidia would have problems
selling their FX crap line! And now slowly the ti4x00 is leaving the
scene and indeed a super card is gone, and now there is a big hole in
the line left, or go for an ANCIENT GF 4 MX card, or go with an FX
card where you pay extra to get DX9 but DX9 runs like a turtle on
those cards.

I self have still an ti4800SE around and i'm sure that if I get a
second pc/mini-pc/server thingy then that I will use it again, since
it was the King of DX8

Ah those good times... a card on what every game played..mmmmm...

Mr. Grinch
December 20th 03, 06:13 PM
While not perfect, my MSI Ti4200 8x was one of the best purchases I've made
for the money, even considering how fast prices dropped. It gave me a
boost to games and I'm only using dual p3-800s. It's my own fault I'm not
doing better in games because my cpu is so slow. And I've had a great
time using the TV out feature to play MST3K vids over to the TV.

It reminds me of the rise and fall of the BX motherboards. Those things
had the longest lifespan of any MB before or since... my own Tyan Tiger 100
could support everything from Celeron 300A to dual P3-800s. How many
motherboards do you know that can support a system about 3x faster than the
original config? I think the same way about the GF4 cards. With all they
hype surrounding the FX line, I don't think I was the only one disappointed
when it finally came out. I'm surprised they let ATI get this close to
them. Makes me wonder when they are going to stop buying up companies and
sueing the rest... how about redirecing those resources and focusing on
building faster cards instead.

Darthy > wrote in
:

> As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
> If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> able to buy it!!
>
> Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
> Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> pocket.
>
> Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
> One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
> Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
> R I P good Card...
>
>

Chris Porter
December 20th 03, 09:32 PM
My MSI Ti4600 Just Flies. another 12months life in it yet me thinks.

"Mr. Grinch" > wrote in message
3.159...
> While not perfect, my MSI Ti4200 8x was one of the best purchases I've
made
> for the money, even considering how fast prices dropped. It gave me a
> boost to games and I'm only using dual p3-800s. It's my own fault I'm not
> doing better in games because my cpu is so slow. And I've had a great
> time using the TV out feature to play MST3K vids over to the TV.
>
> It reminds me of the rise and fall of the BX motherboards. Those things
> had the longest lifespan of any MB before or since... my own Tyan Tiger
100
> could support everything from Celeron 300A to dual P3-800s. How many
> motherboards do you know that can support a system about 3x faster than
the
> original config? I think the same way about the GF4 cards. With all they
> hype surrounding the FX line, I don't think I was the only one
disappointed
> when it finally came out. I'm surprised they let ATI get this close to
> them. Makes me wonder when they are going to stop buying up companies and
> sueing the rest... how about redirecing those resources and focusing on
> building faster cards instead.
>
> Darthy > wrote in
> :
>
> > As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> > the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> > of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
> >
> > If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> > very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> > able to buy it!!
> >
> > Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> > & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> > this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
> >
> > Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> > took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> > pocket.
> >
> > Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> > fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
> >
> > One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> > doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> > are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> > called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> > people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
> >
> > Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> > replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> > have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
> >
> >
> > R I P good Card...
> >
> >
>

lyon_wonder
December 20th 03, 10:27 PM
How much faster is a Ti4200 over the GF3 Ti500 that I currently have
in my 2.8Ghz p4?

BelaLvgosi
December 21st 03, 08:21 AM
"lyon_wonder" > wrote in message
...
> How much faster is a Ti4200 over the GF3 Ti500 that I currently have
> in my 2.8Ghz p4?

In another setup, I had a ti200 64mb (175/500) -> 4200 64mb (default speeds,
mem is 513 default, donno if it's normal) on a 1333 tb, 1gb sdr133, in
3d2001 went from 6050 to 8061 but the real life difference was on peaks,
lower fps ones were raised so with same graf settings games are much more
fps consistent. Maybe on your p4 you'll have better improvement.

Darthy
December 21st 03, 08:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:13:37 GMT, "Mr. Grinch" >
wrote:

>While not perfect, my MSI Ti4200 8x was one of the best purchases I've made
>for the money, even considering how fast prices dropped. It gave me a

Mine works great... More money in selling $100 junky cards so THEY
have to upgrade again, than a KICK ASS $100 TI4200.

>It reminds me of the rise and fall of the BX motherboards. Those things
>had the longest lifespan of any MB before or since... my own Tyan Tiger 100

Yep... BXs were great boards... they stayed on the market so long that
they got tweaked big time. This is an Intel Screw up - when they
tried to bang us in the ass with RD-RAM. The 820 chipset came out
about 6 months late - and then it was crapped by the MTU, high prices
and no performance increase... actually slower!!

Yep! The RD-RAM 820 was SLOWER than the PC-133 815 chipset board that
came out a year later - that was the board that killed the BX
finally... and gave VIA their IN to the market... as they had a
chipset that supported AGP 4x / High Speed CPUs / ATA-66/100 etc.

The 815 was a good series as well...

>could support everything from Celeron 300A to dual P3-800s. How many
>motherboards do you know that can support a system about 3x faster than the


VIA KT boards for AMD CPUs. Yep, you can even buy a $80 Nforce2
board that will take a 600Mhz AMD all the way up the the XP-3200.

(Try that with a P4 board heheh)

Or a board that came out when the 1600 was mainstream, can at least
use a CPU to the model 2600.

Intel now comes out with a NEW chipset every 4 months.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 21st 03, 08:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:31:43 +0100, "Flow" > wrote:

>Maybe the fx5700 will do any good?
>Let's see what this card will do in future.
>b.t.w. im still happy with my ti4400.

Get the 5900XT = $200 faster than 5700 Ultra but same price.



--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 21st 03, 09:00 AM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:27:08 -0600, lyon_wonder
> wrote:

>How much faster is a Ti4200 over the GF3 Ti500 that I currently have
>in my 2.8Ghz p4?

I'd say about 70% faster... you can run higher rez, faster FPS... but
no real changes visually.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

John Lewis
December 21st 03, 10:26 AM
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:40:30 GMT, Darthy
> wrote:

>As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
>the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
>of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
>If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
>very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
>able to buy it!!
>
>Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
>& 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
>this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
>Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
>took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
>pocket.
>

Must be a typo. surely you meant FX5700 ??

( Which is actually a true picture. The 5700 is the new midrange card
in both price and performance from nVidia, just as the 4200 and 4400
originally were in the 4000 series )

The Ati9700 is now out of production. Still quite a few are around
of course.

If not a typo, beware a TROLL on the nVidia newsgroup.......

John Lewis

>Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
>fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
>One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
>doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
>are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
>called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
>people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
>Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
>replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
>have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
>R I P good Card...
>
>
>--
>Remember when real men used Real computers!?
>When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
>Death to Palladium & WPA!!

John Lewis
December 21st 03, 10:38 AM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:59:46 GMT, Darthy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:31:43 +0100, "Flow" > wrote:
>
>>Maybe the fx5700 will do any good?
>>Let's see what this card will do in future.
>>b.t.w. im still happy with my ti4400.
>
>Get the 5900XT = $200 faster than 5700 Ultra but same price.
>

But slower than the non-XT 5900/128Meg for ~ $219.
Beware of both the XT and SE designations by the
board vendors. Both are inferior-performance versions
of the 5900 -- slower memory (700MHz vs 850MHz )
and/or slower GPU.

And sometimes the vendors are very deliberately
deceitful, such as Gainward and XFX who uses "5900"
to describe both the normal and inferior cards.

Look at the manufacturer's spec for that specific
manufacturer's full part-number before leaping !!!

Caveat Emptor ---- let the buyer beware.

John Lewis


>
>
>--
>Remember when real men used Real computers!?
>When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
>Death to Palladium & WPA!!

DaveL
December 21st 03, 10:29 PM
The GF4 ti4x00 will always be a classic.

Nvidia should have kept the ti4200 and made it the low end (MX) card instead
of the terrible FX5200 series. They did it before. They took the GF2
Ultra, pumped up the memory and called it a GF4 MX440.

Dave


"Darthy" > wrote in message
...
> As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
> If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> able to buy it!!
>
> Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
> Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> pocket.
>
> Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
> One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
> Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
> R I P good Card...
>
>
> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 22nd 03, 12:47 PM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:26:17 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:40:30 GMT, Darthy
> wrote:
>
>>Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
>>took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
>>pocket.
>>
>
>Must be a typo. surely you meant FX5700 ??
>
>( Which is actually a true picture. The 5700 is the new midrange card
>in both price and performance from nVidia, just as the 4200 and 4400
>originally were in the 4000 series )
>
>The Ati9700 is now out of production. Still quite a few are around
>of course.
>
>If not a typo, beware a TROLL on the nVidia newsgroup.......

Gee... are you an idiot? This is paying respects to a card a
reflection of its HISTORY... how is ATI9700 close to being a TYPO?

When the ATI9700/Pro hit the market, it took the performance crown
away... I'm talking about BACK THEN, NOT TODAY! Was there an FX5700
on the market 15 months ago?

If you had half a brain, you'd know this wasn't a damn troll message.
But NOOO you had to zero in one ONE damn sentence... like a rabied
republican who has no concept of thought.

You may now put down the Cross, flip the safety back on before you
kill someone.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 22nd 03, 01:06 PM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:29:49 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>The GF4 ti4x00 will always be a classic.
>
>Nvidia should have kept the ti4200 and made it the low end (MX) card instead
>of the terrible FX5200 series. They did it before. They took the GF2
>Ultra, pumped up the memory and called it a GF4 MX440.
>
>Dave

Yep... logically, a Ti4200 would have made a CHEAPER and more
sucessful LOW-END card for todays PCs... Imagine THIS as a current
GPU line up... that makes sense:

$400 5950 Ultra
$300 5900 Ultra
$200 5900
$150 5700Ultra
$120 5700
$ 75 5600Ultra
$ 50 Ti4200-64mb


But instead we got a bloody mess of cross-over products spaning 3
generations DX7 (GF2mx/GF4mx) a few FX8 cards and then the GF5 series.

Realize this... I bet you for at least another 12 months, you'll still
find GF2mx/GF4MX cards on retail outlets STILL... for $30~50 - with NO
GF4Ti cards... this is already happened.

We junk are we up to now?

5950Ultra
5950 (128mb version?)
5900 Ultra 256mb
5900 Ultra
5900
5900XT
5900SE
5800Ultra
5800
5700Ultra 256mb
5700Ultra
5700
5600Ultra 256mb
5600Ultra (FC2)
5600Ultra
5600 256mb
5600
5600 256mb
5200Ultra 256mb
5200Ultra
5200 256mb
5200
5200 64bit 128mb
5200 64bit 64mb
5200 64bit PCI 64mb

(Won't touch the Go series)

That's 25 different chip types... of course 3~5 of them are no longer
being marketed, some are still in the channel.

Then add the moron company Gainward to call them ALL Ultras.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

IlanAvraham
December 29th 03, 02:42 AM
Darthy > wrote in message >...
> As it goes in this area... the GOOD cards always go so fast... while
> the low end crap seems to linger like a piece of poo that won't let go
> of your spinctor while your date is waiting.
>
> If you look on the net, the stock of GF4 Ti cards are almost gone...
> very soon, we cannot recommend this card to anyone since they won't be
> able to buy it!!
>
> Look on Pricewatch... the Ti4200s fit on a single page (as do the 4400
> & 4600s) - when a few months ago there were 10+ pages... Compare
> this to the selection of 17+ pages for fx52000 cards.
>
> Ti4000 series, you did very well. You lasted long until the ATI9700
> took the crown away, but you had everything below that card in your
> pocket.
>
> Ti4000 series, you showed how well you were engineered by the simple
> fact that your younger sisters, most of the FXs doesn't out run you.
>
> One thing that is a FACT, look at these posts in this newsgroup - I
> doubt there has everbeen one that said "Ti4200 SUCKS!" - while there
> are posts everyday by unhappy customers of fx5200s... you're so
> called"replacements"... and its sad to see that when you're gone -
> people will still be buying GF2-MX cards (6 pages on pricwatch)
>
> Ti4200, you deserve to have a longer life... to BE that $40~50
> replacement card... rather than MX400 or the 440MX... The GF5's (fx)
> have yet to gain the respect that you earned easily so long ago.
>
>
> R I P good Card...


Just came across this but it is beautifully said. It used to be that
you could always count on at least one company to get it right, the
Voodoo chip, the Rendition V1000/V2000, the TnT/TnT2. All of these
made for great videocards, and you had your choice of
Creative,Diamond,Canopus,S3 even Sierra had their own card with the
latest chip for a while. Your choice was only which board manufacturer
you favored and the xtras they put in the box Their is nothing to get
excited about these days without the competition to keep things hot,
all we got is one company just leg upping the other with confusing
names and promises.

I think I will hang on to my TI4200 for as long as I can. With any
luck till PCI express kills the whole Agp Golem and the companys start
over.

DaveL
December 29th 03, 06:19 AM
How is PCI express going to make the companies start over?

Dave


"IlanAvraham" > wrote in message
om...
<snip>
>
> I think I will hang on to my TI4200 for as long as I can. With any
> luck till PCI express kills the whole Agp Golem and the companys start
> over.

IlanAvraham
December 29th 03, 11:20 PM
"DaveL" > wrote in message >...
> How is PCI express going to make the companies start over?
>
> Dave
>
>
> "IlanAvraham" > wrote in message
> om...
> <snip>
> >
> > I think I will hang on to my TI4200 for as long as I can. With any
> > luck till PCI express kills the whole Agp Golem and the companys start
> > over.

Well not start over in the literal sense, but get back to making video
cards that make them a profit, dont empty our pockets and give us the
same performance/price ration without a million version numbers and
all the latest benchmark bruhaha that has happened. Im hoping
PCI-Express will be a standard that will allow for more competition
and quality in videocards


Here is a link I found that seems to give a good summary of what to
expect.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1087

Dom Powell
December 31st 03, 11:40 PM
[Snippage: the 4200 was a damn fine card, and in a better world still be
produced and sold at around $50.00 as a budget option.]

So is the Ti4200 still worth what it's selling for (when it's available)?
US$75.00 - $85.00?

I don't think I've heard a bad thing about it, and it seems to be ideal for
what I'm looking
for. I do light gaming on an older machine, and I tend not to buy anything
(software or hardware) when it first comes out, preferring to wait for
positive reviews and the prices to drop. Overall, I'm at least a year --
more like 2 -- behind the curve in every respect. One of the benefits of
this strategy (apart from general health of wallet) is that I can take my
time assessing things before buying them. One of the drawbacks is that this
market moves so freakin' fast that it's easy to miss the best windows as
they open and close.

I really like what I've seen and heard about the 4200, and I'm worried that
the price is going to start spiking as the things become scarcer. But I
don't want to buy if it's going to be hopelessly obsolete -- or if the price
of the newer cards (say the 5600 Ultra) is set to start dropping
precipitously. What are the odds that it'll be compatible with a new(ish)
motherboard 12 months from now?

Opinions?

Dom "Ditherer" Powell

Darthy
January 2nd 04, 02:23 PM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:40:09 -0800, "Dom Powell"
> wrote:

>[Snippage: the 4200 was a damn fine card, and in a better world still be
>produced and sold at around $50.00 as a budget option.]
>
>So is the Ti4200 still worth what it's selling for (when it's available)?
>US$75.00 - $85.00?

yep.... why pay $100 for slower.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

>I really like what I've seen and heard about the 4200, and I'm worried that
>the price is going to start spiking as the things become scarcer. But I
>don't want to buy if it's going to be hopelessly obsolete -- or if the price

Everything is hopeless... If the OTHER cheap cards are slower today,
they will be slower tomorrow.

>of the newer cards (say the 5600 Ultra) is set to start dropping
>precipitously. What are the odds that it'll be compatible with a new(ish)
>motherboard 12 months from now?

They'll be just as INCOMPATIBLE with the new PCI-Express boards in
12months as any other AGP card.

Spend $85 get the Ti4200... spend $195 for a GF5900XT... or spend $239
for the ATI9800PRO from microcenter.



--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Yeremein
January 10th 04, 05:25 PM
> I really like what I've seen and heard about the 4200, and I'm worried that
> the price is going to start spiking as the things become scarcer. But I
> don't want to buy if it's going to be hopelessly obsolete -- or if the price
> of the newer cards (say the 5600 Ultra) is set to start dropping
> precipitously.

The Ti4200 still outperforms new entry level cards (Radeon 9200 or
FX5200), and performs similarly to the newer midrange cards (Radeon 9600
or FX5600) until you enable AA and AF or run heavy pixel shaders like in
3DMark03. It's got enough raw horsepower that it will probably handle
newer games just fine as long as you tone down the eye candy.

I'm happy with my Ti4200, but if I were buying a new video card today,
I'd probably spring for an FX5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600 Pro, because
they'd be more future proof. Even still, when you can get a Ti4200 for
half as much, and get 80% of the performance in current games, it's hard
to pass up the GF4.

> What are the odds that it'll be compatible with a new(ish)
> motherboard 12 months from now?

It won't be any less compatible than a Radeon 9800 Pro or any other
modern 1.5v AGP card (i.e., anything newer than the Voodoo3).

I know PCI Express is up and coming, but I imagine new PCI Express
motherboards will still include an AGP slot for a few years anyway, so
compatibility is probably nothing to worry about.