PDA

View Full Version : Question about GF4 Ti4200 Fan

Quadriflax
December 19th 03, 06:00 PM
I own a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 card that's a little over a year old. The
fan on the card is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it with
a compressed air can and made sure the screws were tight It's better
than it was, but it still makes a lot of noise on start up.

I called the BFG Tech support number and asked if I could get a new
fan. They told me I would have to mail the card in and have it
completely replaced. I'd rather not be without my computer for the
couple of days it would take to do it their way, if that's possible.
What other options are available to me? I don't need a whole new
heatsink or anything, just a new fan that will fit and be fast enough.
Does anyone have any ideas of where to go? TIA.

--Quadriflax
"To insanity and beyond..."

jeffc
December 19th 03, 08:24 PM
"Quadriflax" > wrote in message
> I own a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 card that's a little over a year old. The
> fan on the card is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it with
> a compressed air can and made sure the screws were tight It's better
> than it was, but it still makes a lot of noise on start up.
>
> I called the BFG Tech support number and asked if I could get a new
> fan. They told me I would have to mail the card in and have it
> completely replaced. I'd rather not be without my computer for the
> couple of days it would take to do it their way, if that's possible.
> What other options are available to me? I don't need a whole new
> heatsink or anything, just a new fan that will fit and be fast enough.
> Does anyone have any ideas of where to go? TIA.

Depending on where you live, you can just buy a new fan. I don't know what
fan BFG specifically uses, but worst case for $10 or less you can buy a new
fan and heatsink made for video chips. You might have to pry off the
heatsink, scrape the chip down, and glue on a new one.

\(\) |\\/| 3 G /-\\
December 19th 03, 08:38 PM
if ur in the UK try www.over-clock.co.uk they sell VGA/chipset coolers

quiet a few places sell VGA/chipset coolers and cheaply too - 10 UKP
(~$15USD)

also, the added benefit of the VGA coolers, they tend to be uprated versions
that cool better - so a cooler, more stable (even more so than it is, if
possible) ti4200.

tim

"Quadriflax" > wrote in message
> I own a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 card that's a little over a year old. The
> fan on the card is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it with
> a compressed air can and made sure the screws were tight It's better
> than it was, but it still makes a lot of noise on start up.
>
> I called the BFG Tech support number and asked if I could get a new
> fan. They told me I would have to mail the card in and have it
> completely replaced. I'd rather not be without my computer for the
> couple of days it would take to do it their way, if that's possible.
> What other options are available to me? I don't need a whole new
> heatsink or anything, just a new fan that will fit and be fast enough.
> Does anyone have any ideas of where to go? TIA.
>
> --Quadriflax
> "To insanity and beyond..."

neopolaris
December 19th 03, 08:42 PM
Quadriflax wrote:
> I own a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 card that's a little over a year old. The
> fan on the card is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it with
> a compressed air can and made sure the screws were tight It's better
> than it was, but it still makes a lot of noise on start up.
>
> I called the BFG Tech support number and asked if I could get a new
> fan. They told me I would have to mail the card in and have it
> completely replaced. I'd rather not be without my computer for the
> couple of days it would take to do it their way, if that's possible.
> What other options are available to me? I don't need a whole new
> heatsink or anything, just a new fan that will fit and be fast enough.
> Does anyone have any ideas of where to go? TIA.
>
> --Quadriflax
> "To insanity and beyond..."

If the fan has a sticker on the top, peel it back partly and put a drop of
oil in the hole.

Quadriflax
December 19th 03, 09:36 PM
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:42:18 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:

>If the fan has a sticker on the top, peel it back partly and put a drop of
>oil in the hole.

I don't think that would help. When I sprayed the compressed air on
the blades to make it spin, the thing wobbled quite a bit. The screws
are in pretty tight too, so that's not the problem. Just putting a
bit of pressure on the fan I noticed that it's just unstable and
probably not spinning right. It seems to settle down after a couple
minutes (the noise goes away). But I realize that doesn't mean the
problem has solved itself. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

--Quadriflax
"To insanity and beyond..."

Quadriflax
December 19th 03, 09:46 PM
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:24:36 -0500, "jeffc" >
wrote:

>Depending on where you live, you can just buy a new fan. I don't know what
>fan BFG specifically uses, but worst case for $10 or less you can buy a new
>fan and heatsink made for video chips. You might have to pry off the
>heatsink, scrape the chip down, and glue on a new one.

Well I'd kind of like to avoid having to do all that. I don't
necessaraly trust myself to do it right :-) I think I'd sooner send
it to the company; they don't charge.

I knew I could buy a whole heatsink/fan package, but I can't seem to
locate just a fan. But that might not matter depending on the answer
to my next question. Would I be able to buy something like this:
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1394.htm

and just take the fan off it? Are the screwholes for the fans on
these things universal? It's hard to tell from pictures. I realize
the mounts would have to be, so I *could* replace the whole heatsink
if I wanted to. But the fan is on the heatsink, so I don't know if it
would be able to fit on my current heatsink or not.

If that's confusing, I appologize. Let me know and I'll try again :-)

Thanks for the help so far.

--Quadriflax
"To insanity and beyond..."

)-()-(
December 19th 03, 10:39 PM

> I knew I could buy a whole heatsink/fan package, but I can't seem to
> locate just a fan. But that might not matter depending on the answer
> to my next question. Would I be able to buy something like this:
> http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1394.htm
>
> and just take the fan off it? Are the screwholes for the fans on
> these things universal? It's hard to tell from pictures. I realize
> the mounts would have to be, so I *could* replace the whole heatsink
> if I wanted to. But the fan is on the heatsink, so I don't know if it
> would be able to fit on my current heatsink or not.
>
> If that's confusing, I appologize. Let me know and I'll try again :-)
>
> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> --Quadriflax
> "To insanity and beyond..."

I think replacing just the fan is a problem cause the fans can be custom sizes.
However, i think your idea to replace the "whole heatsink/fan package"
will work as i think the mounting holes are universal on Gf4's.

There are 2 plastic spring loaded clips that hold on the heatsink assembly,
and to remove them you need something like a pair of needle nose pliers
to compress the pins on the backside of the board. My GF4 just has
some thermal compound on the gPu. It's not very hard to IMO.
Maybe you could find a local shop that would do that for you.

Good Luck

Fred
December 20th 03, 05:55 AM
If your motherboard has on board video you could switch to that temporarily.

Otherwise, you can search various sites for a new 5200 or ti4200 for about
$50. You can use that until your other one comes back from repair. Having
a spare vidcard if you really use that computer that much is goodness.

"Quadriflax" > wrote in message
> I own a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 card that's a little over a year old. The
> fan on the card is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it with
> a compressed air can and made sure the screws were tight It's better
> than it was, but it still makes a lot of noise on start up.
>
> I called the BFG Tech support number and asked if I could get a new
> fan. They told me I would have to mail the card in and have it
> completely replaced. I'd rather not be without my computer for the
> couple of days it would take to do it their way, if that's possible.
> What other options are available to me? I don't need a whole new
> heatsink or anything, just a new fan that will fit and be fast enough.
> Does anyone have any ideas of where to go? TIA.
>
> --Quadriflax
> "To insanity and beyond..."

Headache
December 23rd 03, 09:42 AM
Please forgive the crosspost.
I just bought a G4-VGA Copper Cooler Fan.
As it turns out, it does't fit my card. I just paid $17 for it and I
would love to get rid of it before it becomes obsolete. If you are
interested then email me.

The mfg website is: www.thermaltake.com part number is g4-VGA
It is easy to install and it comes with extra heatsinks for the
memory.

remove the antispam character to reply.

Thanks.