PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a video card>>

Tyler
December 17th 03, 06:28 PM
I have an Nvidia Ti4200 (not the 8x) and notice that the card is
running slowly on a lot of new games (specifically Max Payne 2)when I
turn on antialiasing and antistroptic filtering. I don't really want
to buy the top of the line card due to the huge cost but want
something right below it like the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or the Nvidia
Ge FX 5900 128 MB.

1) Are either of these cards going to give me noticeably better
performance than the Ti4200 or should I be looking for a faster card?

2) Which card is faster/better between the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or
the Nvidia Ge FX 5900 128 MB?

Dark Avenger
December 18th 03, 02:05 AM
(Tyler) wrote in message >...
> I have an Nvidia Ti4200 (not the 8x) and notice that the card is
> running slowly on a lot of new games (specifically Max Payne 2)when I
> turn on antialiasing and antistroptic filtering. I don't really want
> to buy the top of the line card due to the huge cost but want
> something right below it like the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or the Nvidia
> Ge FX 5900 128 MB.
>
> 1) Are either of these cards going to give me noticeably better
> performance than the Ti4200 or should I be looking for a faster card?
>
> 2) Which card is faster/better between the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or
> the Nvidia Ge FX 5900 128 MB?

The GF 4 series are fast but... have only 4 pixel pipelines, while the
more "pro gamer" cards nowadays have 8. And this means that games that
depent heavily on Pixel Shaders will run better. I see the difference
myself ... my framerates don't go up very much, BUT everything can be
run at FULL QUALITY!

So you basicly will keep the same framerate or pretty nice higher, but
the card has more "horsepower" because they are V8.

I suggest the FX5900 ( Non-ultra/Ultra ) since its a good performing
card.

And yes I self have ATI but in this case I suggest the FX5900!

Darthy
December 18th 03, 10:06 AM
On 17 Dec 2003 09:28:27 -0800, (Tyler) wrote:

>I have an Nvidia Ti4200 (not the 8x) and notice that the card is
>running slowly on a lot of new games (specifically Max Payne 2)when I
>turn on antialiasing and antistroptic filtering. I don't really want
>to buy the top of the line card due to the huge cost but want
>something right below it like the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or the Nvidia
>Ge FX 5900 128 MB.

Turn off the AF/AA, then it'll run nicer.

>1) Are either of these cards going to give me noticeably better
>performance than the Ti4200 or should I be looking for a faster card?

If you got the $300 cash and a fast CPU, yes.

>2) Which card is faster/better between the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB or
>the Nvidia Ge FX 5900 128 MB?

Radeon is faster generally, the 5900 is better with OpenGL.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Knickers
December 20th 03, 01:45 AM
I upgraded from Ti4200 128Mb 8xAGP to a Radeon 9800Pro, there is a huge jump
in frame rate 2 or 3 times the frame rate i was getting with the Ti4200, not
only that but I can crank up anti-aliasing to 8x and Aniso-tropic filtering
to 16x and most games are still playable.

Example, I now play Americas Army @1600x1200 8xAA 8xAF (sometimes 16x) with
all the ingame options set to ULTRA HIGH, Radeon image quality set to
Highest - basically everythign cranked up full, I get 80-100fps on indoor
maps and about 45-70fps on outdoor maps.

The game looks stunning and plays like a dream, Doom3 Alpha I get 50-65fps @
1280x1024 and 35-50fps @ 1600x1200

So, yes there IS a good reason to upgrade your Ti4200.