PDA

View Full Version : Possible Stupid Upgrade Question

michaeldonnelly
December 16th 03, 04:05 PM
I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to PCI
cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared video memory to
a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb memory. My question is, is
there any sort of compatibility issue with a computer that is using SDRAM
and a graphic card that uses DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest
any money into an upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.

Daniel Crichton
December 16th 03, 04:50 PM
michaeldonnelly > wrote:
> I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to
> PCI cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared
> video memory to a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb
> memory. My question is, is there any sort of compatibility issue with
> a computer that is using SDRAM and a graphic card that uses DDR?
> Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest any money into an upgrade
> card that won't work in my old clunker.

There are no problems doing so - the RAM on the motherboard and gfx card are
independent.

Dan

Sith Lord
December 16th 03, 09:45 PM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:05:29 GMT in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "michaeldonnelly"
> wrote:

>I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to PCI
>cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared video memory to
>a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb memory. My question is, is
>there any sort of compatibility issue with a computer that is using SDRAM
>and a graphic card that uses DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest
>any money into an upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.

Get Nick to buy you a video card on EBay :-)

(Serious answer withheld due to someone already answering the
question).

MCR
December 17th 03, 12:00 AM
michaeldonnelly wrote:
> I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to PCI
> cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared video memory to
> a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb memory. My question is, is
> there any sort of compatibility issue with a computer that is using SDRAM
> and a graphic card that uses DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest
> any money into an upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.

Apples and Oranges... You should be fine, indeed they are seperate.

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making

Outback Jon
December 17th 03, 03:42 AM
Sith Lord wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:05:29 GMT in
> alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "michaeldonnelly"
> > wrote:
>
>> I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to
>> PCI cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared
>> video memory to a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb
>> memory. My question is, is there any sort of compatibility issue
>> with a computer that is using SDRAM and a graphic card that uses
>> DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest any money into an
>> upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.
>>

> Get Nick to buy you a video card on EBay :-)

Damn - someone got to it before me. I was going to say that after the
discussion with Nick, I no longer believe that ANY question on this
newsgroup could be treated as a "stupid" question...

--
"Outback" Jon Gould | Let those who RIDE,
2003 Kawasaki Concours (wreck)|
| HELMET LAWS SUCK
CQ CQ CQ de KC2BNE |
______________________________|___________________ _________
AMD XP 1700+ @ 1540 MHz 768M PC2100 DDR @ 280 MHz
Soyo SYK7V Dragon Plus 120GB and 40GB Maxtor HD
Asus GeForce3 Ti200 (220/460) Cornerstone 21" Monitor
3dFx Voodoo3 3000 HP D3857A 15" Monitor
Acer 24x10x40 CDRW Nostromo n50 Speedpad

Darthy
December 17th 03, 10:08 AM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:05:29 GMT, "michaeldonnelly"
> wrote:

>I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to PCI
>cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared video memory to
>a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb memory. My question is, is
>there any sort of compatibility issue with a computer that is using SDRAM
>and a graphic card that uses DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to invest
>any money into an upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.

Your question is not stupid... and it has been answered.

If you want to see something stupid, read the posts with the Subject:
Mis-representation ?

Now that is STUPID

PS: Don't expect great gaming performance with such a setup. But a
PCI card will easily be better than Intel's on board junk, better
quality output too.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

michaeldonnelly
December 17th 03, 04:26 PM
Thank you for the answer....and by the way, who is this Nick that everyone
loves?

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:05:29 GMT, "michaeldonnelly"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have an 4 year old Compaq that has no AGP port so I am limited to PCI
> >cards. I recently upgraded from the onboard Intel 4mb shared video memory
> >a Pine PCI card with a SiS 305 chipset and 32mb memory. My question is,
is
> >there any sort of compatibility issue with a computer that is using SDRAM
> >and a graphic card that uses DDR? Aren't they separate? Don't want to
invest
> >any money into an upgrade card that won't work in my old clunker.
>

> Your question is not stupid... and it has been answered.
>
> If you want to see something stupid, read the posts with the Subject:
> Mis-representation ?
>
> Now that is STUPID
>
> PS: Don't expect great gaming performance with such a setup. But a
> PCI card will easily be better than Intel's on board junk, better
> quality output too.
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

michaeldonnelly
December 17th 03, 04:38 PM