PDA

View Full Version : Which Det's for Ti4200?

Darren Owen
December 8th 03, 05:55 PM
As a support techie I usually work by the assumption that if there's a
new driver available for a product I should use it, but I'm starting
to think this mantra is flawed when applied to Nvidia Det drivers.

My system;

ASUS P4PE mobo
P4 2.4ghz o/c'd to 2.53
Win Xp home
Dx9
SB Audigy Player
512 PC2700 RAM
Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD 64mb using Det's/Fware 52.16

I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
card? Should I use Driver Cleaner to clean out the 52.16 and go back
to Dets 42.** or 44.**?

Thanks,

Darren

DaveL
December 8th 03, 06:16 PM
I'm using 44.03 with excellent results. I've heard 45.xx work well too but
I have not tried them.

Dave

"Darren Owen" > wrote in message
m...
> As a support techie I usually work by the assumption that if there's a
> new driver available for a product I should use it, but I'm starting
> to think this mantra is flawed when applied to Nvidia Det drivers.
>
> My system;
>
> ASUS P4PE mobo
> P4 2.4ghz o/c'd to 2.53
> Win Xp home
> Dx9
> SB Audigy Player
> 512 PC2700 RAM
> Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD 64mb using Det's/Fware 52.16
>
> I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
> good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
> card? Should I use Driver Cleaner to clean out the 52.16 and go back
> to Dets 42.** or 44.**?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darren

Lenny
December 8th 03, 06:37 PM
> I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
> good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
> card?

Yes. There's still bug fixes and feature improvements in newer drivers that
will apply to older products.

Granulated
December 8th 03, 07:45 PM
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:37:59 GMT "Lenny" > meeped :

>> I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
>> good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
>> card?
>
>Yes. There's still bug fixes and feature improvements in newer drivers that
>will apply to older products.

...plus the new nview stuff...

I had good improvements in most games..but took them out because of the well
know problem caused by the combination of certain cards with the 5x.xx and the
Enemy Territory in-game Punkbuster.

DaveW
December 9th 03, 01:50 AM
I would recommend using 45.23. It's very stable with older cards.

--
DaveW

"Darren Owen" > wrote in message
m...
> As a support techie I usually work by the assumption that if there's a
> new driver available for a product I should use it, but I'm starting
> to think this mantra is flawed when applied to Nvidia Det drivers.
>
> My system;
>
> ASUS P4PE mobo
> P4 2.4ghz o/c'd to 2.53
> Win Xp home
> Dx9
> SB Audigy Player
> 512 PC2700 RAM
> Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD 64mb using Det's/Fware 52.16
>
> I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
> good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
> card? Should I use Driver Cleaner to clean out the 52.16 and go back
> to Dets 42.** or 44.**?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darren

Billy_Bat
December 9th 03, 03:46 AM
"DaveW" > wrote in message
news:Q%[email protected]_s51...
> I would recommend using 45.23. It's very stable with older cards.
>
> --
> DaveW

Hey! My car may be old, ('87 Corolla) but I've had my Ti4200 for less than a
year.

--
Good Luck!
BB

Darren Owen
December 9th 03, 10:54 AM
Thanks for your advice all, looks like 4X.XX might be better for me

Lenny
December 9th 03, 11:03 AM
> I would recommend using 45.23. It's very stable with older cards.

I would recommend the latest available from Nvidia's site.

Why faff around with ancient drivers? Just download the new and go.

PRIVATE1964
December 9th 03, 03:50 PM

>I would recommend the latest available from Nvidia's site.
>
>Why faff around with ancient drivers? Just download the new and go.

Go with the 44.03's I've tried many of the drivers, even the newer revisions
and have always gone back to them for speed and stability.

The newest drivers are optimized more for the newest cards and the older cards
seem to lose more peformance because of that fact.

Phil
December 9th 03, 03:58 PM
Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16 drivers,
for it to be a coincidence. In addition to that, performance is
significantly reduced for GF4 chipsets when going from 44.x or 45.x to
52.16 - in 3dMark2001 my score drops by several hundred points when going
from 45.23 to 52.16. Suffice it to say, I will continue to use the 45.23
drivers with my Ti4200.

-phil

"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > I would recommend using 45.23. It's very stable with older cards.
>
> I would recommend the latest available from Nvidia's site.
>
> Why faff around with ancient drivers? Just download the new and go.

Lenny
December 9th 03, 04:09 PM
> Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16
drivers,
> for it to be a coincidence.

"Too many"? How would you know, have you made any kind of scientific study
on the matter? Would seem to me like you mostly listened to gossip in
internet forums and such, ie highly unreliable information.

> in 3dMark2001 my score drops by several hundred points

So? That means nothing.

PRIVATE1964
December 9th 03, 08:47 PM
>> Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16
>drivers,
>> for it to be a coincidence.
>
>"Too many"? How would you know, have you made any kind of scientific study
>on the matter?

Well, I'm second in the study. Usually your always suppose to use the newest
drivers with hardware and I've alway's tried to follow that. In the case of
Nvidia drivers though some time's older drivers are better for performance and
stability with older cards. I've tested the newer drivers and they might have
worked out a few bugs with some programs, but unless I use those actual
programs I see no reason to upgrade the drivers at the cost of performance.

So IMO the 44.03's are best for the 4200.

Phil
December 9th 03, 10:46 PM
Go ahead and live by the mantra that newest equals best. Those of us who
live in the real world know that that isn't always true.

The results I obtained in my own testing are conclusive enough for me.
Anyone out there that can prove 52.16 detonators are better than 45.23, on
the GF4 line, please speak up.

(tumbleweed drifts by)

-phil

"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16
> drivers,
> > for it to be a coincidence.
>
> "Too many"? How would you know, have you made any kind of scientific study
> on the matter? Would seem to me like you mostly listened to gossip in
> internet forums and such, ie highly unreliable information.
>
> > in 3dMark2001 my score drops by several hundred points
>
> So? That means nothing.

jeffc
December 9th 03, 11:21 PM
"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16
> drivers,
> > for it to be a coincidence.
>
> "Too many"? How would you know, have you made any kind of scientific study
> on the matter? Would seem to me like you mostly listened to gossip in
> internet forums and such, ie highly unreliable information.

So presumably you have some highly reliable information that supports the
fact that there aren't any problems with newer drivers on older cards?

Bigguy
December 10th 03, 12:00 AM
Try the latest from N-Vidia.
I run 52.16 with Win2K on my GF4-T14200 and they are very stable and problem
free....
Can't see any difference from the 45.xx series in gaming though - they
appear to be a few 3D points slower on benchmarks but who cares....

Guy

Darren Owen wrote:
> As a support techie I usually work by the assumption that if there's a
> new driver available for a product I should use it, but I'm starting
> to think this mantra is flawed when applied to Nvidia Det drivers.
>
> My system;
>
> ASUS P4PE mobo
> P4 2.4ghz o/c'd to 2.53
> Win Xp home
> Dx9
> SB Audigy Player
> 512 PC2700 RAM
> Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD 64mb using Det's/Fware 52.16
>
> I play online games such as MOHAA and Call of Duty and performance is
> good, but do I need the newer drivers seeing as I'm not using a DX9
> card? Should I use Driver Cleaner to clean out the 52.16 and go back
> to Dets 42.** or 44.**?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darren

PRIVATE1964
December 10th 03, 12:29 AM
>Try the latest from N-Vidia.
>I run 52.16 with Win2K on my GF4-T14200 and they are very stable and problem
>free....
>Can't see any difference from the 45.xx series in gaming though - they
>appear to be a few 3D points slower on benchmarks but who cares....

If it was only a few points I'd be using them. With every new version it
lowered my score a hundred or so marks. With the newest version it dropped my
score by over a 1000 marks.
I have tested the frame rate playing games, UT2003 benchmark, 3DMark 2001 and
3DMark2003.
Overall if your using an older card like a 4200 your better off using older
drivers. Unless there is a game, application or stability reason that needs a
fix that you can only get with the newest drivers.

Jeff
December 10th 03, 03:45 AM
I lost 10 fps in NASCAR 2003 going to the 52.16 from 45.23.

2400+
winxp
512 ram
gf 4200 ti

Jeff

"Phil" > wrote in message
. ..
> Go ahead and live by the mantra that newest equals best. Those of us who
> live in the real world know that that isn't always true.
>
> The results I obtained in my own testing are conclusive enough for me.
> Anyone out there that can prove 52.16 detonators are better than 45.23, on
> the GF4 line, please speak up.
>
> (tumbleweed drifts by)
>
> -phil
>
> "Lenny" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Wrong! There are too many GF4 users having problems with the 52.16
> > drivers,
> > > for it to be a coincidence.
> >
> > "Too many"? How would you know, have you made any kind of scientific
study
> > on the matter? Would seem to me like you mostly listened to gossip in
> > internet forums and such, ie highly unreliable information.
> >
> > > in 3dMark2001 my score drops by several hundred points
> >
> > So? That means nothing.

Lenny
December 10th 03, 04:18 AM
> Go ahead and live by the mantra that newest equals best.

"Best" in sense most functionality, less bugs with current games; yes that
would tend to be true I think. Why else would they put out new drivers all
the time?

Do note that some games actually complain if the drivers are too old
(Homeworld 2 is one of them), so hanging on to an ancient set out of
sentimentality or whatever isn't going to be a terribly clever thing,
especially not as time continues to pass.

So, about living in the real world', I reply; "you were saying...?"

Lenny
December 10th 03, 04:20 AM
> So presumably you have some highly reliable information that supports the
> fact that there aren't any problems with newer drivers on older cards?

So presumably you need to go back to highschool and study harder in your
English class (or study harder if you're still there), as I didn't say
anything of the sort. :/

Darren Owen
December 18th 03, 11:44 AM
(PRIVATE1964) wrote in message >...
> Overall if your using an older card like a 4200 your better off using older
> drivers. Unless there is a game, application or stability reason that needs a
> fix that you can only get with the newest drivers.

Well I did it - removed 52.16, used Driver Cleaner 2 then reinstalled
41.09. I imediately saw a 400+ improvement in 3DMark2001 SE score, but
as people here have said thats not all that counts...what I was
looking for was an improvement to some issues in mohaa etc and it
looks like has solved them.

Thanks again for your advice.

PRIVATE1964
December 18th 03, 07:55 PM
>Well I did it - removed 52.16, used Driver Cleaner 2 then reinstalled
>41.09. I imediately saw a 400+ improvement in 3DMark2001 SE score, but
>as people here have said thats not all that counts...what I was
>looking for was an improvement to some issues in mohaa etc and it
>looks like has solved them.
>
>Thanks again for your advice.

Thats great, but I think you would be better off using the 44.03 drivers.
Speed will be around the same, but the drivers slightly newer.
If I remember right the 44.03's also combined the AF and AA for D3D and OpenGL
on one page so its easier to change quality settings.The version your using
might have that change, I'm not sure.
You want to use the newest drivers that give you the best performance, for
stability and bug issues.
If you can download aTuner. It makes changing the AA and AF settings easy for
different games.
Its a small program and it runs in the system tray. Each game can have its own
quality settings profile. When you want to play a game you pick the game in the
list from the icon in the system tray. The graphic settings are changed for
that game and then the game starts.
The reason I like it is because it just changes AA, AF and Vsync automatically.
I don't a complicated program for only that. It does have adjustments for more
advanced settings if you want to mess with them, but they can't be applied
automatically.

December 19th 03, 07:22 PM
aye, i`m using the 44.03's and found a 1000+ 3dmark2k1 score improvement
(from low 12,000's to mid 13's).
thats from the UDA nforce2 chipset drivers, gfx card drivers (53.xx's) to
the above stated 44.03's

tim