PDA

View Full Version : "fast write" and Gf4200ti 128mb 4xagp


Andy F
December 3rd 03, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I have a n MSI K7t266 pro2 mobo and an MSI GF4 4200ti 128mb 4x agp card. The
mobo BIOS has a "fast write " option which it describes as allowing direct
communication with the video card to increase performance if the video card
supports this option.
Does anyone know if this card supports "Fast write" and if so does it
noticeably improve performance?

Andy

Robert Pendell
December 3rd 03, 05:10 PM
Fast write won't improve performance. In fact, it has been known to reduce
stability. I always shut this off and have never noticed any performance
difference.

--
Robert Pendell


"Andy F" <[email protected]*******os> wrote in message
...
> Hi,
> I have a n MSI K7t266 pro2 mobo and an MSI GF4 4200ti 128mb 4x agp card.
The
> mobo BIOS has a "fast write " option which it describes as allowing direct
> communication with the video card to increase performance if the video
card
> supports this option.
> Does anyone know if this card supports "Fast write" and if so does it
> noticeably improve performance?
>
> Andy
>
>

Lenny
December 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
> Fast write won't improve performance.

Yes it will, though generally it's not by very much.

> In fact, it has been known to reduce stability.

That was long ago now. Graphics and motherboard chipsets have been debugged
ages ago now. Turn it on, at worst it won't hurt, and it might even help a
little.

Robert Pendell
December 3rd 03, 09:54 PM
"Lenny" > wrote in message
...
>
> > Fast write won't improve performance.
>
> Yes it will, though generally it's not by very much.
>
Show me proof of what kind of "improvement" it produces. I have yet to see
any.

> > In fact, it has been known to reduce stability.
>
> That was long ago now. Graphics and motherboard chipsets have been
debugged
> ages ago now. Turn it on, at worst it won't hurt, and it might even help a
> little.
>
Yes, maybe so. Unfortunately the author of the Omega Drivers doesn't think
it is stable enough yet and still advises that people shut it off.

--
Robert Pendell

Robert Pendell
December 4th 03, 01:22 AM
Here is a link incase you were wondering. This is with the newer ATI cards
and the game Call of Duty but the same point applies to Nvidia cards too.
Notice that there is less than 0.2 fps difference between with and without
fast writes.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/call_of_duty_ati/page3.asp

--
Robert Pendell


"Robert Pendell" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Lenny" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > > Fast write won't improve performance.
> >
> > Yes it will, though generally it's not by very much.
> >
> Show me proof of what kind of "improvement" it produces. I have yet to
see
> any.
>
> > > In fact, it has been known to reduce stability.
> >
> > That was long ago now. Graphics and motherboard chipsets have been
> debugged
> > ages ago now. Turn it on, at worst it won't hurt, and it might even help
a
> > little.
> >
> Yes, maybe so. Unfortunately the author of the Omega Drivers doesn't
think
> it is stable enough yet and still advises that people shut it off.
>
> --
> Robert Pendell
>
>
>