PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX 5800 temp problems

Matt
November 30th 03, 02:10 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4 GHZ , 768mbRAM) and I've added the
GeForce FX 5800. I've noticed, that the card gets very hot and it
shows, that on the monitoring device, that it can go up to 140
Celcius. I think, that this is too hot and I'm afraid, that it has an
influence on the CPU temperature and also heats up everything inside
the case.
Is it correct, that the temperature can go up that high without the
card being damaged?
How can I set the max temperature for the card?

Thanx 4 ur response!

Matt

November 30th 03, 06:47 PM
The monitoring device goes "UP" to 140 degrees Celcius but I've yet to see
anyone reach anything that close. Try running a high graphics game for about
15 minutes and then minimise the game application. Once this is done then
look at your temperature reading. My FX 5800 (non-ultra) averages about 42
degrees when nothing is overclocked and running a video intensive game.

regards

"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4 GHZ , 768mbRAM) and I've added the
> GeForce FX 5800. I've noticed, that the card gets very hot and it
> shows, that on the monitoring device, that it can go up to 140
> Celcius. I think, that this is too hot and I'm afraid, that it has an
> influence on the CPU temperature and also heats up everything inside
> the case.
> Is it correct, that the temperature can go up that high without the
> card being damaged?
> How can I set the max temperature for the card?
>
> Thanx 4 ur response!
>
> Matt

Nick (no dashes)
December 1st 03, 11:24 AM
B wrote:
> The monitoring device goes "UP" to 140 degrees Celcius but I've yet to see
> anyone reach anything that close. Try running a high graphics game for about
> 15 minutes and then minimise the game application. Once this is done then
> look at your temperature reading. My FX 5800 (non-ultra) averages about 42
> degrees when nothing is overclocked and running a video intensive game.
>
> regards

> "Matt" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I have a Dell Dimension 8100 (1.4 GHZ , 768mbRAM) and I've added the
>>GeForce FX 5800. I've noticed, that the card gets very hot and it
>>shows, that on the monitoring device, that it can go up to 140
>>Celcius. I think, that this is too hot and I'm afraid, that it has an
>>influence on the CPU temperature and also heats up everything inside
>>the case.
>>Is it correct, that the temperature can go up that high without the
>>card being damaged?
>>How can I set the max temperature for the card?
>>
>>Thanx 4 ur response!
>>
>>Matt

Of course it depends on where you live, and if you have A/C or not. My
5900 Ultra card runs above 80 degrees in a game.

Heihachi
December 6th 03, 07:42 AM
In article >,
says...
> The monitoring device goes "UP" to 140 degrees Celcius but I've yet to see
> anyone reach anything that close. Try running a high graphics game for about
> 15 minutes and then minimise the game application. Once this is done then
> look at your temperature reading. My FX 5800 (non-ultra) averages about 42
> degrees when nothing is overclocked and running a video intensive game.
>
> regards

Is your 5800 very loud? Just bought one and waiting on it to come.
Couldn't find any info on it on the net, just the Ultra version.

Thanks

Dark Avenger
December 7th 03, 03:22 AM
Heihachi > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> says...
> > The monitoring device goes "UP" to 140 degrees Celcius but I've yet to see
> > anyone reach anything that close. Try running a high graphics game for about
> > 15 minutes and then minimise the game application. Once this is done then
> > look at your temperature reading. My FX 5800 (non-ultra) averages about 42
> > degrees when nothing is overclocked and running a video intensive game.
> >
> > regards

> Is your 5800 very loud? Just bought one and waiting on it to come.
> Couldn't find any info on it on the net, just the Ultra version.
>

> Thanks

If it has the LeafBlower Design from Nvidia, yes then it surely will
make your neighbours belief you are training for the Leafblower
Champignionship 2004!

Other Vendors happily choose more silent ways to cool the card!