PDA

View Full Version : Again... :-( What to buy: FX5900 or 5700/5800 Ultra?

Luke Piasecki
November 30th 03, 11:24 AM
Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
confusing :-(((
Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
it....
Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Ook
November 30th 03, 05:28 PM
They really hosed the naming, have't they? I understood GF1, GF2, GF3, etc.
But WTF is up with 5600,5800,5900...More importantly, what difference will
it make for us using them?

"Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
> ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700
Ultra?
> 5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
> confusing :-(((
> Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
> it....
> Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Dark Avenger
November 30th 03, 05:50 PM
"Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message gers.com>...
> Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
> ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
> 5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
> confusing :-(((
> Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
> it....
> Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

The FX5800 is the "old" 5900, its a nice card but ... design base it's
a bad card! And it's limited in performance

The FX5900 Non Ultra is a fast card... a very fast nice card :-)

The FX5700 Ultra is a budget fast card! It's build to be payable for
many people that don't want real budget material ( that is the FX5200
) yet want a nice fast card!

The FX5700 is the "new" FX5600, the FX5600 is a failed product, just
like the FX5800... muchos design failures.

So simple said the FX5700 Ultra and the FX5900 Non Ultra are both very
nice fast cards and a good choice to buy! Just **** the rest, ....
Ofcourse a FX5950 Ultra is even nice to have!

J.Clarke
December 1st 03, 05:19 PM
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:33:25 -0700
"Ook" > wrote:

> It's been that way for a long time. ATI drivers have sucked for years.
> They seemed to have improved for a while, but it seems they are going
> downhill again.
>
> nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers. There was a period of time
> where they were a bit shaky, back with the 7.x up to about 12.x or so,
> but they stabalized again. They have been rock solid for a very long
> time.

Then why all the complaints in this newsgroup?

> 5900....$200....hmm...<drool...>....
>
> "DaveL" > wrote in message
> > Dammit Lenny. You again? Do you work for ATI? Anytime somebody
> > says anything that is a little critical of your worship you have to
> > crawl out from under your rock. I know usenet is used for getting
> > help. But I CAN make an observation that the ATI ng seems to have
> > a disproportionate
> amount
> > of people needing help.
> >
> > Dave

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL
December 1st 03, 06:43 PM
The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Dave

"Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
> ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700
Ultra?
> 5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
> confusing :-(((
> Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
> it....
> Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Lenny
December 1st 03, 09:19 PM
> The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
> best buy at about $200.

Nvidia's antialiasing, which is still completely unchanged since the GF3,
is still vastly inferior to ATi's gamma-corrected sparse non-uniformal MSAA.

> And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers are still far superior
to ATI's.

Unfounded.

> Need proof? Just look at these usenet
> forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!

Hm, judging by this newsgroup, Nvidia sucks just as bad.

....Guess what, dude? Newsgroups and forums are USED for seeking help! That's
a surprise to nobody except you!

DaveL
December 1st 03, 10:08 PM

"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently
the
> > best buy at about $200.
>
> Nvidia's antialiasing, which is still completely unchanged since the GF3,
> is still vastly inferior to ATi's gamma-corrected sparse non-uniformal
MSAA.

> > And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers are still far
superior
> to ATI's.
>
> Unfounded.
>
> > Need proof? Just look at these usenet
> > forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!
>
> Hm, judging by this newsgroup, Nvidia sucks just as bad.
>
> ...Guess what, dude? Newsgroups and forums are USED for seeking help!
That's
> a surprise to nobody except you!

Ook
December 2nd 03, 02:33 AM

"DaveL" > wrote in message
> Dammit Lenny. You again? Do you work for ATI? Anytime somebody says
> anything that is a little critical of your worship you have to crawl out
> from under your rock. I know usenet is used for getting help. But I CAN
> make an observation that the ATI ng seems to have a disproportionate
amount
> of people needing help.
>
> Dave

Lenny
December 2nd 03, 11:56 AM
> nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers.

> They have been rock solid for a very long time.

I see the 30 series with the infinite loop debacle passed entirely over your
head completely unnoticed. Very strange, considering the amount of
complaints those drivers generated.

From the release notes of the latest driver version (52.16):

----- 8< ------
Clone mode may be set for the GeForce FX 5600 although only one display

is connected.

This setting causes a drop in the performance of 3D applications. The

workaround is to use the NVIDIA control panel to reset the system to

standard mode from clone mode.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: When 4x FSAA is enabled, half of the screen is

black in Tiger Woods 2004 introductory video.

GeForce4 MX 440 and GeForce4 Ti 4400, Windows XP: Blue-screen crash

during Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: Homeworld2 antialiased performance is slow.

This is a known issue with the application. NVIDIA is working with the

developer to address it.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra and GeForce4 Ti 4400, Windows XP: Rendering

corruption in Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, Windows XP: "X2: The Threat" benchmark is

choppy or jerky in some places.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

Windows XP: Antialiasing doesn't appear to be working in Final Fantasy XI

benchmark.

This is a known issue with the application. NVIDIA is working with the

developer to address it.

All GeForce FX: Intermittently, Warcraft III videos are not displayed

properly on some systems.

A fix for this issue will be included in the next driver release.

----- 8< ------

These are merely the bugs Nvidia *KNEW* about when they *released* the
driver! Rock solid my arse!

> 5900....$200....hmm...<drool...>....

I guess, if you enjoy the slow pixel shading performance and poor AA quality
of the GFFX series, that's an OK price to pay for a fundamentally flawed
product...

Dark Avenger
December 2nd 03, 05:25 PM
"DaveL" > wrote in message >...
> The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
> best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
> are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
> forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!
>
> Dave
>

> "Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message
> le.rogers.com...
> > Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
> > ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700
> Ultra?
> > 5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
> > confusing :-(((
> > Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
> > it....
> > Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

Maybe, the 5900 is a very fast good card and it's low price indeed
serves a good level. Very probable indeed beats the ATI cards in that
range!

But only with the nv40 vs r420 we know how the stakes lie in the
future!

Darthy
December 7th 03, 04:16 AM
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:24:50 GMT, "Luke Piasecki"
> wrote:

>Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
>ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700 Ultra?
>5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
>confusing :-(((
>Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
>it....
>Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?

If you want to stick with Nvidia - you can get a 5900 for about
$200~250 which is faster than any 5700Ultra.

Yeah... Nvidia is screwed up... notice the lack of SPECS among all
their FX cards... look at their GF3 and GF4 family cards and older and
you see loads of "spec" info.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 7th 03, 04:23 AM
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:43:56 -0800, "DaveL" >
wrote:

>The pendulum has swung back in Nvidia's favor. The 5900 is currently the
>best buy at about $200. And it is a relief to stay Nvidia as their drivers
>are still far superior to ATI's. Need proof? Just look at these usenet
>forums. The ATI ng is chock full of cries for help!
>
>Dave

Hmmm... I have both ATI and NVidia - I'm not seeing the "cries" for
help that youre talking about. Many of the Problems I see is with
their AIW cards or Tuner cards as these are rather ODD-ball... but
over all - they are no worse than Nvidia in "issues" - I have Issues
with Nvidia drivers with my GF4 Ti card... 30.82 works great... 4x.xx
drivers are ****. 52.17 is a lot better and needed for new games -
but there is a LOSS of performance on older games.

Nvidia drivers are much improved, but are still coming up SHORT
against ATi a little bit.... Its sad when the 5900 comes up slower
than a ATI9600Pro.

When I upgraded my MAIN PC video from GF4 Ti4200 to ATI 9800Pro, I had
NO problems with drivers or crashes.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 7th 03, 04:27 AM
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:33:25 -0700, "Ook"
> wrote:

>It's been that way for a long time. ATI drivers have sucked for years. They
>seemed to have improved for a while, but it seems they are going downhill
>again.

I don't see that.... I now have both.

>nVidia, OTOH, have had excellent drivers. There was a period of time where
>they were a bit shaky, back with the 7.x up to about 12.x or so, but they
>stabalized again. They have been rock solid for a very long time.

er... 30.82 is still the most stable drivers I've seen posted from
many and myself. The 4x.xx have been crap, besides the "cheats" -
52.xx are quite good... but I'm not happy with them.

>5900....$200....hmm...<drool...>....

Get the MSI model... its $200 online - and its VERY QUIET!!! Even
with 2 fans... excellent card!!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
December 7th 03, 04:38 AM
On 2 Dec 2003 08:25:06 -0800, (Dark Avenger) wrote:

>> "Luke Piasecki" > wrote in message
>> le.rogers.com...
>> > Totally confused and NVidia site makes it even worse...
>> > ok.. first of all what is the difference between 5900, 5700 and 5700
>> Ultra?
>> > 5700 Ultra seems to be the same price as 5900..., makes it even more
>> > confusing :-(((
>> > Secondly, is there 5800 ? I see it on eBay, but Nvidia site doesn't list
>> > it....
>> > Crap, do they always have to f**ck up the naming so badly...?
>> >

>Maybe, the 5900 is a very fast good card and it's low price indeed
>serves a good level. Very probable indeed beats the ATI cards in that
>range!

Well... thats only when we compare only purchases - most computer
parts like these are sold by CompUSA (online and retail) - and the
5900 is about $300 at these stores... the 5200Ultra is $150+ as well
(what a sick joke)

I would take a $200 5900 over a $200 9600Pro/XT any day. Except for
Gainward.

>But only with the nv40 vs r420 we know how the stakes lie in the
>future!

Yep...