PDA

View Full Version : Quake problems on GeForce4

JohnL
November 29th 03, 11:24 AM
Hi all

I've just bought a new PC with a MSI nVidia GeForce4 MX440-T8X. I installed
Quake and Quake 3 but neither of them runs properly. In Quake 1 (GL Quake),
the display keeps freezing. When it freezes the sound loops three or four
times, before it all starts working again. This happens every 10-20 seconds.
In Quake 3, the display flickers heavily and some things on screen appear as
bright blue glitches. After a while, it throws an exception and a dialog box
appears saying something like "The instruction at "0x0044834f" attempted to
read protected memory". Then the game shuts down and when I get back to
Windows (XP), the display settings have gone haywire and I need to reboot to
fix it.

I've tried the latest drivers from MSI and nvidia. Neither made any
difference. WinQuake works fine by the way. It's just the GL versions that
won't work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Shepİ
November 29th 03, 05:15 PM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:49 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "JohnL" >
wrote :

>Hi all
>
>I've just bought a new PC with a MSI nVidia GeForce4 MX440-T8X. I installed
>Quake and Quake 3 but neither of them runs properly. In Quake 1 (GL Quake),
>the display keeps freezing. When it freezes the sound loops three or four
>times, before it all starts working again. This happens every 10-20 seconds.
>In Quake 3, the display flickers heavily and some things on screen appear as
>bright blue glitches. After a while, it throws an exception and a dialog box
>appears saying something like "The instruction at "0x0044834f" attempted to
>read protected memory". Then the game shuts down and when I get back to
>Windows (XP), the display settings have gone haywire and I need to reboot to
>fix it.
>
>I've tried the latest drivers from MSI and nvidia. Neither made any
>difference. WinQuake works fine by the way. It's just the GL versions that
>won't work.
>
>Can anyone help?
>Thanks

For both games check in the games folders for the opengl32.dll and
rename it.This will allow the system to use the Nvidia openGL drivers.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

JohnL
November 29th 03, 09:10 PM
Shepİ wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:49 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "JohnL" >
> wrote :
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I've just bought a new PC with a MSI nVidia GeForce4 MX440-T8X. I
>>installed Quake and Quake 3 but neither of them runs properly. In Quake 1
>>(GL Quake), the display keeps freezing. When it freezes the sound loops
>>three or four times, before it all starts working again. This happens
>>every 10-20 seconds. In Quake 3, the display flickers heavily and some
>>things on screen appear as bright blue glitches. After a while, it throws
>>an exception and a dialog box appears saying something like "The
>>instruction at "0x0044834f" attempted to read protected memory". Then the
>>game shuts down and when I get back to Windows (XP), the display settings
>>have gone haywire and I need to reboot to fix it.
>>
>>I've tried the latest drivers from MSI and nvidia. Neither made any
>>difference. WinQuake works fine by the way. It's just the GL versions that
>>won't work.
>>
>>Can anyone help?
>>Thanks
>>

> For both games check in the games folders for the opengl32.dll and
> rename it.This will allow the system to use the Nvidia openGL drivers.
> HTH :)

Hi Shep

Neither folder has an opengl32.dll file.

Any ideas?

John

Shepİ
November 30th 03, 03:19 AM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:10:11 +0000, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then JohnL
> wrote :

>Shepİ wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:24:49 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "JohnL" >
>> wrote :
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I've just bought a new PC with a MSI nVidia GeForce4 MX440-T8X. I
>>>installed Quake and Quake 3 but neither of them runs properly. In Quake 1
>>>(GL Quake), the display keeps freezing. When it freezes the sound loops
>>>three or four times, before it all starts working again. This happens
>>>every 10-20 seconds. In Quake 3, the display flickers heavily and some
>>>things on screen appear as bright blue glitches. After a while, it throws
>>>an exception and a dialog box appears saying something like "The
>>>instruction at "0x0044834f" attempted to read protected memory". Then the
>>>game shuts down and when I get back to Windows (XP), the display settings
>>>have gone haywire and I need to reboot to fix it.
>>>
>>>I've tried the latest drivers from MSI and nvidia. Neither made any
>>>difference. WinQuake works fine by the way. It's just the GL versions that
>>>won't work.
>>>
>>>Can anyone help?
>>>Thanks
>>>

>> For both games check in the games folders for the opengl32.dll and
>> rename it.This will allow the system to use the Nvidia openGL drivers.
>> HTH :)
>
>Hi Shep
>
>Neither folder has an opengl32.dll file.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>John

Hmmm.In the original quake that file is installed by default,I know as
It's the main game I still play online(and still the best).
opengl32.dll
If it's not there than your install of Quake ain't right.
However you may have Opengl problems.If so download the
free,"Rivatuner",
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
and use it to go through all your normal settings as it has a hidden
registry checker,fixer.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de