PDA

View Full Version : Win2k3: Major Instability Problems


Joe Hardy
November 26th 03, 05:01 AM
Hi all

I'm running the following system specification on Windows Server 2003,
latest service packs applied etc etc.

- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
- MSI i875P Neo (MS-6758) Mainboard
- 2 x 512mB DDR400 RAM Modules (Dual Channel)
- Leadtek A280 MyVIVO LE (GeForce4 ti 4200 chipset, 128mB)
- 1 x Seagate ST3120023AS (120GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive
- 1 x Seagate ST3120024A (120GB) Hard Drive

I think that's all you really need to know about (no particularly exotic
devices running on the thing)

Having some very irritating and quirky issues while running on any revision
of any of the official NVidia drivers, the Leadtek releases or the ones
provided by Microsoft via Windows Update. Been through a few reinstalls,
starting on various drive revisions. I've uninstalled driver sets and
installed newer versions and all the rest... and things never seem to
improve.

Symptoms include major instability (crashes when running even the simplest
GUIs) and all sorts display glitches (incorrect or no rendering of objects,
garbled text, big scary black boxes all over the place etc). The symptoms
become worse as the system comes under more and more load, and it seems that
the symptoms can momentarily be reduced (but never fully eradicated) by
terminating various processes

It appears to make no difference as to whether hardware acceleration is
enabled, though disabling this has been known to slow down the problems a
little in some cases.

Strangely, when the Standard VGA Graphics adapter is running instead of any
of the official drivers for the card, none of these problems appear. The
system appears to be stable and no glitches are present.

However, there's only so long one's eyes can handle a 60Hz refresh rate and
the performance leaves just a little to be desired, so it would be nice to
be able to get back onto the real drivers :)

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Later,
Joe

HamMan
November 26th 03, 06:04 PM
> I'm running the following system specification on Windows Server 2003,
> latest service packs applied etc etc.
>
> - Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
> - MSI i875P Neo (MS-6758) Mainboard
> - 2 x 512mB DDR400 RAM Modules (Dual Channel)
> - Leadtek A280 MyVIVO LE (GeForce4 ti 4200 chipset, 128mB)
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120023AS (120GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120024A (120GB) Hard Drive
>
> I think that's all you really need to know about (no particularly exotic
> devices running on the thing)

This a >>SERVER<< OS! I doubt many servers will have a GF4 Ti in them, 8Mb
Rage Thingy's push it far enough.

Its probably slightly ****ed off about running on a single P4 as well, but
it shouldnt couse problems like you said.

Try installing XP or your fav linux to see if its a system or an operating
system problem.


Hamman

>>>>>
November 27th 03, 12:51 AM
I am using a dual xeon 3.2 GHz on Windows Server 2003 and from what I can
tell you as soon as you enable all the directx acceleration like in XP there
is no difference in performance between XP and 2003.
"HamMan" > wrote in message
...
>
> > I'm running the following system specification on Windows Server 2003,
> > latest service packs applied etc etc.
> >
> > - Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
> > - MSI i875P Neo (MS-6758) Mainboard
> > - 2 x 512mB DDR400 RAM Modules (Dual Channel)
> > - Leadtek A280 MyVIVO LE (GeForce4 ti 4200 chipset, 128mB)
> > - 1 x Seagate ST3120023AS (120GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive
> > - 1 x Seagate ST3120024A (120GB) Hard Drive
> >
> > I think that's all you really need to know about (no particularly exotic
> > devices running on the thing)
>
> This a >>SERVER<< OS! I doubt many servers will have a GF4 Ti in them, 8Mb
> Rage Thingy's push it far enough.
>
> Its probably slightly ****ed off about running on a single P4 as well, but
> it shouldnt couse problems like you said.
>
> Try installing XP or your fav linux to see if its a system or an operating
> system problem.
>
>
> Hamman
>
>

DaveW
November 27th 03, 01:31 AM
I don't believe nVidia has released Win 2003 drivers yet...

--
DaveW



"Joe Hardy" <[email protected][southern]pconsulting.[fried]com.[chicken]au> wrote in
message ...
> Hi all
>
> I'm running the following system specification on Windows Server 2003,
> latest service packs applied etc etc.
>
> - Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
> - MSI i875P Neo (MS-6758) Mainboard
> - 2 x 512mB DDR400 RAM Modules (Dual Channel)
> - Leadtek A280 MyVIVO LE (GeForce4 ti 4200 chipset, 128mB)
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120023AS (120GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120024A (120GB) Hard Drive
>
> I think that's all you really need to know about (no particularly exotic
> devices running on the thing)
>
> Having some very irritating and quirky issues while running on any
revision
> of any of the official NVidia drivers, the Leadtek releases or the ones
> provided by Microsoft via Windows Update. Been through a few reinstalls,
> starting on various drive revisions. I've uninstalled driver sets and
> installed newer versions and all the rest... and things never seem to
> improve.
>
> Symptoms include major instability (crashes when running even the simplest
> GUIs) and all sorts display glitches (incorrect or no rendering of
objects,
> garbled text, big scary black boxes all over the place etc). The symptoms
> become worse as the system comes under more and more load, and it seems
that
> the symptoms can momentarily be reduced (but never fully eradicated) by
> terminating various processes
>
> It appears to make no difference as to whether hardware acceleration is
> enabled, though disabling this has been known to slow down the problems a
> little in some cases.
>
> Strangely, when the Standard VGA Graphics adapter is running instead of
any
> of the official drivers for the card, none of these problems appear. The
> system appears to be stable and no glitches are present.
>
> However, there's only so long one's eyes can handle a 60Hz refresh rate
and
> the performance leaves just a little to be desired, so it would be nice to
> be able to get back onto the real drivers :)
>
> Any help would be enormously appreciated.
>
> Later,
> Joe
>
>

Joe Hardy
November 27th 03, 02:34 AM
> I am using a dual xeon 3.2 GHz on Windows Server 2003 and from what I can
> tell you as soon as you enable all the directx acceleration like in XP
there
> is no difference in performance between XP and 2003.

What card, and which drivers are you using?

Joe

Joe Hardy
November 27th 03, 02:34 AM
> I don't believe nVidia has released Win 2003 drivers yet...

No, but Microsoft has.

neopolaris
November 27th 03, 06:18 AM
Joe Hardy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm running the following system specification on Windows Server 2003,
> latest service packs applied etc etc.
>
> - Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
> - MSI i875P Neo (MS-6758) Mainboard
> - 2 x 512mB DDR400 RAM Modules (Dual Channel)
> - Leadtek A280 MyVIVO LE (GeForce4 ti 4200 chipset, 128mB)
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120023AS (120GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive
> - 1 x Seagate ST3120024A (120GB) Hard Drive
>
> I think that's all you really need to know about (no particularly
> exotic devices running on the thing)
>
> Having some very irritating and quirky issues while running on any
> revision of any of the official NVidia drivers, the Leadtek releases
> or the ones provided by Microsoft via Windows Update. Been through a
> few reinstalls, starting on various drive revisions. I've uninstalled
> driver sets and installed newer versions and all the rest... and
> things never seem to improve.
>
> Symptoms include major instability (crashes when running even the
> simplest GUIs) and all sorts display glitches (incorrect or no
> rendering of objects, garbled text, big scary black boxes all over
> the place etc). The symptoms become worse as the system comes under
> more and more load, and it seems that the symptoms can momentarily be
> reduced (but never fully eradicated) by terminating various processes
>
> It appears to make no difference as to whether hardware acceleration
> is enabled, though disabling this has been known to slow down the
> problems a little in some cases.
>
> Strangely, when the Standard VGA Graphics adapter is running instead
> of any of the official drivers for the card, none of these problems
> appear. The system appears to be stable and no glitches are present.
>
> However, there's only so long one's eyes can handle a 60Hz refresh
> rate and the performance leaves just a little to be desired, so it
> would be nice to be able to get back onto the real drivers :)
>
> Any help would be enormously appreciated.
>
> Later,
> Joe

Sounds like bad memory on the video card. If you clock down the memory, do
the problems go away? Best wishes.

neopolaris

Joe Hardy
November 28th 03, 06:32 AM
"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message ...
> Sounds like bad memory on the video card. If you clock down the memory,
do
> the problems go away? Best wishes.

In other words, "underclocking" the memory? How would I go about that? And
what software do I use? (new territory)

Joe

neopolaris
November 28th 03, 06:54 PM
Joe Hardy wrote:
> "neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
> ...
>> Sounds like bad memory on the video card. If you clock down the
>> memory, do the problems go away? Best wishes.
>
> In other words, "underclocking" the memory? How would I go about
> that? And what software do I use? (new territory)
>
> Joe

Do a search for "coolbits" . It's a .reg file that you (right-click, merge)
use to show the hidden tabs in your cards display properties. Clock
frequencies is one of the tabs it unhides.

neopolaris