PDA

View Full Version : BF 1942 display problems

John Galvin
November 23rd 03, 12:24 AM
Hi guys,

I am running BF 1942, with the latest updates, and sometimes the display
gets garbled. I have a screenshot here:
http://www.totalpc.org/1942.jpg

I am running XP Pro, with the latest updates.
I have a 5600FX 256 MB, running the latest drivers.

I don't believe it is a heat issue, as I can run various 1942 demos, for a
long time without this happening (intense play).
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
john

gRoDa_L0Ts4pOt
November 23rd 03, 01:11 AM
I know that 1942 has issues in 16bit color mode. Try using 32bit (that's if
your not already)

"John Galvin" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
| Hi guys,
|
| I am running BF 1942, with the latest updates, and sometimes the display
| gets garbled. I have a screenshot here:
| http://www.totalpc.org/1942.jpg
|
| I am running XP Pro, with the latest updates.
| I have a 5600FX 256 MB, running the latest drivers.
|
| I don't believe it is a heat issue, as I can run various 1942 demos, for a
| long time without this happening (intense play).
| Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
| john

TheHasselhoff
November 23rd 03, 01:14 AM
It's the 52.16 drivers. Try the 45s.

"John Galvin" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running BF 1942, with the latest updates, and sometimes the display
> gets garbled. I have a screenshot here:
> http://www.totalpc.org/1942.jpg
>
> I am running XP Pro, with the latest updates.
> I have a 5600FX 256 MB, running the latest drivers.
>
> I don't believe it is a heat issue, as I can run various 1942 demos, for a
> long time without this happening (intense play).
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
> john

John Galvin
November 23rd 03, 02:25 AM
"gRoDa_L0Ts4pOt" > wrote in
:

> I know that 1942 has issues in 16bit color mode. Try using 32bit
> (that's if your not already)

Already using 32 bit color, any other suggestions?

John

John Galvin
November 23rd 03, 02:26 AM
"TheHasselhoff" > wrote in
:

> It's the 52.16 drivers. Try the 45s.

When I started playing 1942, I was using the old drivers, and experienced
the same problem. I thought upgrading them might help, but it still gets
messed up. Any other suggestions?

TheHasselhoff
November 23rd 03, 07:05 AM
Hmm. Is this a clean installation of Windows? If not, try that - if so, I
would suggest trying to get your hands on another card that is close to the
specs of yours. That could be an intermittent memory problem, or similar.
If this problem only happens sometimes (like you say), I'd assume that
(barring the Windows reinstall) its defect in the hardware.

"John Galvin" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> "TheHasselhoff" > wrote in
> :
>
> > It's the 52.16 drivers. Try the 45s.
>
> When I started playing 1942, I was using the old drivers, and experienced
> the same problem. I thought upgrading them might help, but it still gets
> messed up. Any other suggestions?

John Galvin
November 23rd 03, 08:10 AM
"TheHasselhoff" > wrote in
:

> Hmm. Is this a clean installation of Windows?

Its a pretty new installation of Windows.

If not, try that - if
> so, I would suggest trying to get your hands on another card that is
> close to the specs of yours.

I wish I could :-)

That could be an intermittent memory
> problem, or similar. If this problem only happens sometimes (like you
> say), I'd assume that (barring the Windows reinstall) its defect in
> the hardware.

Thats what I was fearing. I posted the same question in a 1942 forum, so
if I make any progress through that I will post back the result here.
Thanks for the responses everyone.
John

TMack
November 23rd 03, 12:39 PM
"John Galvin" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running BF 1942, with the latest updates, and sometimes the display
> gets garbled. I have a screenshot here:
> http://www.totalpc.org/1942.jpg
>
> I am running XP Pro, with the latest updates.
> I have a 5600FX 256 MB, running the latest drivers.
>
> I don't believe it is a heat issue, as I can run various 1942 demos, for a
> long time without this happening (intense play).
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
> john

If it happens after you have used the 'escape' key to go to the menu it is
because your desktop refresh rate is different to your game refresh rate.
Go to EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings and use notepad to open
the VideoDefault.con file change the line "renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0"
so that it has a value of 1 instead of 0. This will allow you to select
refresh rates within the game so you can set the game refresh to the same as
your desktop.

Tony

Helion
November 23rd 03, 04:59 PM
"TheHasselhoff" > wrote in message
> It's the 52.16 drivers. Try the 45s.

52.16's have problem with BF1942, don't go to older drivers try the newer
ones which fixed this problem.... 53.03's work excellent.
http://www.evga.com/support/downloads/default.asp

Falkentyne
November 24th 03, 04:39 AM
On 22 Nov 2003 23:24:01 GMT, John Galvin >
enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:

>Hi guys,
>
>I am running BF 1942, with the latest updates, and sometimes the display
>gets garbled. I have a screenshot here:
>http://www.totalpc.org/1942.jpg
>
>I am running XP Pro, with the latest updates.
>I have a 5600FX 256 MB, running the latest drivers.
>
>I don't believe it is a heat issue, as I can run various 1942 demos, for a
>long time without this happening (intense play).
>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
>john

Try doing a complete driver wipe and reinstall.
Then, try backing down to the 30.82 drivers and testing it.

If you still have this problem, your card is bad. Either you have
flaky RAM, or the fan failed. Either way, you should RMA the card.

<Gibs> When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament
it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent",
in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"