PDA

View Full Version : Used GeForce4 ti4600 problem

neopolaris
November 22nd 03, 08:43 PM
Just got this card. It's made by PNY. The card is exhibiting random green
dots but it seems to go away if I clock the card down. I have tried it on 2
machines and it does the same on both. 2D or 3D, it doesn't matter. Did I
just buy a card with bad memory? TIA

neopolaris

Slash
November 22nd 03, 11:07 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:43:00 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> scribbled:

>Just got this card. It's made by PNY. The card is exhibiting random green
>dots but it seems to go away if I clock the card down. I have tried it on 2
>machines and it does the same on both. 2D or 3D, it doesn't matter. Did I
>just buy a card with bad memory? TIA
>
>neopolaris

It's possible, but it's also possible that it's getting too hot for
whatever reason. Make sure, by holding the card on its side up to a
light source, or by close examination, that the heatsink is making
good contact with the memory chips. I had an MSI Ti4600 that had a
metal plate for the RAM chips, but it was bowed upward so that there
was a good 2mm between the ram chip and the metal. I'm sure that
didn't help too much with dispersing heat!

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

neopolaris
November 23rd 03, 12:16 AM
Slash wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:43:00 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> scribbled:
>
>> Just got this card. It's made by PNY. The card is exhibiting random
>> green dots but it seems to go away if I clock the card down. I have
>> tried it on 2 machines and it does the same on both. 2D or 3D, it
>> doesn't matter. Did I just buy a card with bad memory? TIA
>>
>> neopolaris
>
> It's possible, but it's also possible that it's getting too hot for
> whatever reason. Make sure, by holding the card on its side up to a
> light source, or by close examination, that the heatsink is making
> good contact with the memory chips. I had an MSI Ti4600 that had a
> metal plate for the RAM chips, but it was bowed upward so that there
> was a good 2mm between the ram chip and the metal. I'm sure that
> didn't help too much with dispersing heat!
>
> -Slash

It does it immediately after turning the machine on. Plus the side cover is
off. Do they get that warm that fast? Thanks for the info.

neopolaris
November 23rd 03, 05:42 AM
neopolaris wrote:
> Slash wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:43:00 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> scribbled:
>>
>>> Just got this card. It's made by PNY. The card is exhibiting random
>>> green dots but it seems to go away if I clock the card down. I have
>>> tried it on 2 machines and it does the same on both. 2D or 3D, it
>>> doesn't matter. Did I just buy a card with bad memory? TIA
>>>
>>> neopolaris
>>
>> It's possible, but it's also possible that it's getting too hot for
>> whatever reason. Make sure, by holding the card on its side up to a
>> light source, or by close examination, that the heatsink is making
>> good contact with the memory chips. I had an MSI Ti4600 that had a
>> metal plate for the RAM chips, but it was bowed upward so that there
>> was a good 2mm between the ram chip and the metal. I'm sure that
>> didn't help too much with dispersing heat!
>>
>> -Slash
>
> It does it immediately after turning the machine on. Plus the side
> cover is off. Do they get that warm that fast? Thanks for the info.

I just noticed it doesn't have heatsinks on the ram. It has small BGA
square memory chips. Samsung brand.

neopolaris

Darthy
November 23rd 03, 11:31 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:42:14 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> wrote:

>neopolaris wrote:
>> Slash wrote:
>>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:43:00 -0500, "neopolaris" <.> scribbled:

>> It does it immediately after turning the machine on. Plus the side
>> cover is off. Do they get that warm that fast? Thanks for the info.
>
>I just noticed it doesn't have heatsinks on the ram. It has small BGA
>square memory chips. Samsung brand.

1 - Your card has problems
2 - You should have a side cover on for proper airflow for the entire
system... unless the case is crap.

3 - Your memory doesn't have heat-sink applied? Could you take a
digital pic of the card and put it link to access it?

Most, if not ALL Ti4400 and Ti4600 cards have Heatsinks on their
memory... and they are LONG too...

There is a chance that your USED card had a BIOS "upgrade" so that it
says "Ti4600" - Pricks do this all the time... easier to fool people
with GF2 and GF3 cards... and they get more money for lower end
products.

My Ti4200 is about 7" long... TI4400~4800s are about 9" long.

Here is a TI4600: http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/616/pny_1_big.jpg

Here is a TI4200: http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/652/pny_1_big.jpg

Which one is yours?

Check out all these Ti4600s:
http://www.hardwaremonkey.com/vga/ti4600/ti4600p2.asp

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Robert Pendell
November 23rd 03, 07:13 PM
Just a note here. I have a PNY TI4600 that has no memory heat sinks. The
only heatsink it has is silver with a fan built in. It has a generic PNY
sticker on the fan. It also has a white sticker on the same side as the fan
that says "TI4600". On each side, there are 4 memory chips. They all say
"Samsung 301 K402632RA-GC2B". That may not be exactly right because I was
trying to read the small print while the card was in the case. The card is
also Red. I got the card OEM. If you did look at any of them on your last
link, you will note that the following brands did not have heatsinks on the
memory chips. ASUS, MSI, PNY, and Visiontek.

--
Robert Pendell