PDA

View Full Version : fan noise-replace fan or card??????

Jeff burrell
November 21st 03, 09:28 PM
I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
everything I need it to just fine.

Thanks Jeff

Basic amd 1700+ not o/c
512 meg ram

jeffc
November 21st 03, 11:14 PM
"Jeff burrell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
> replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
> everything I need it to just fine.

I'd replace the fan - probably around $7.

John Lewis
November 22nd 03, 01:18 AM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:14:34 -0500, "jeffc" >
wrote:

>"Jeff burrell" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]_s51...
>> I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
>> replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
>> everything I need it to just fine.
>
>I'd replace the fan - probably around $7.

Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).
Works wonders on noisy fans --- if the bearing wear has not
gone too far. If it does not work, replace the fan.........
In any case, throw away your WD-40 and oil-lubricants -
both get gummy with time.

John Lewis

jeffc
November 22nd 03, 05:55 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message

> Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).

I think they also sell little cans of that in bicycle shops.

Joe Hayes
November 22nd 03, 06:48 AM
Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
overheat.

"Jeff burrell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
> replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
> everything I need it to just fine.
>
> Thanks Jeff
>
> Basic amd 1700+ not o/c
> 512 meg ram

John Lewis
November 22nd 03, 07:28 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:55:41 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:

>"John Lewis" > wrote in message
>>
>> Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).
>
>I think they also sell little cans of that in bicycle shops.

That is where I got mine................
Have used it on noisy PC fans for a very long time,
at least 10 years. Wonderful stuff. ( Unfortunately, it
does not quieten down squeaky wives, girlfriends,
or domestic partners..............)

Nothing like it for lasting effect............However,
if you begin to hear fan noise, don't delay applying
the lubricant, to minimise bearing wear. Triflow
does not replace worn metal............. !!

John Lewis

John Lewis
November 22nd 03, 07:48 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:48:59 -0500, "Joe Hayes" >
wrote:

>Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
>overheat.

That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
ECB.

However, I have glued an auxiliary 12V fan to the edge of a video
card with the air-flow directed over the GPU heat-sink and memory
and used a 4-pin adapter to hook the fan up with the HD power
cables. No need for a power-adapter if the MB has unused fan
power-plugs. Should work just fine after removal of the original
GPU fan. New fan cost ~ $5........... I used toothpicks glued to
both board and fan to provide the mechanical support. Use
non-conductive glue, of course !!

John Lewis

>"Jeff burrell" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]_s51...
>> I have a old gf3-ti200. The fan is making wining noise. Is it worth
>> replaceing the fan or should I get a new vid card. This card run's
>> everything I need it to just fine.
>>
>> Thanks Jeff
>>
>> Basic amd 1700+ not o/c
>> 512 meg ram

Joe Hayes
November 22nd 03, 07:31 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:48:59 -0500, "Joe Hayes" >
> wrote:
>
> >Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
> >overheat.
> >

> That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
> temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
> of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
> card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
> thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
> and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
> ECB.

Not really. I've used numerous nVidia cards from 440 MX to 5600 over the
years from eVGA, Visiontek, BFG, PNY all with the fan disconnected and I've
never once had an overheat, even with overclocking enabled. Of course this
is at normal room temperatures, not Saharan desert conditions, but I assume
the original poster isn't out in Africa somewhere. The heatsink fan is more
for upscale marketing than cooling. Clearly a passive heatsink is adequate.
The only card I've found thus far which overheats without the fan connected
is the 5700 Ultra. It starts stuttering and eventually locks up. This is
one hot chip because you can feel it. :-)

John Lewis
November 23rd 03, 11:02 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:31:04 -0500, "Joe Hayes" >
wrote:

>"John Lewis" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:48:59 -0500, "Joe Hayes" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
>> >overheat.
>> >

>> That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
>> temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
>> of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
>> card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
>> thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
>> and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
>> ECB.
>>

>Not really. I've used numerous nVidia cards from 440 MX to 5600 over the
>years from eVGA, Visiontek, BFG, PNY all with the fan disconnected and I've
>never once had an overheat, even with overclocking enabled. Of course this
>is at normal room temperatures, not Saharan desert conditions, but I assume
>the original poster isn't out in Africa somewhere. The heatsink fan is more
>for upscale marketing than cooling. Clearly a passive heatsink is adequate.
>The only card I've found thus far which overheats without the fan connected
>is the 5700 Ultra. It starts stuttering and eventually locks up. This is
>one hot chip because you can feel it. :-)

You may want to look under the thread "Got a replacement PNY card"
at Paul Brown's posting. A friend of his had a PNY Ti4200 fail because
the fan had quit previously... he did not mention anything about the
PC being in the middle of the Sahara.

And the power-consumption of the high-end GPUs in both the Ati
and nVidia range is 60-70 watts max. About the same as a P4-2.6c !!
I have not seen any P4s recently without a substantial heat-sink
and mandatory fan..............

nVidia should have hired you as thermal consultant on the FX5800.
There would have been no vacuum-cleaner-sound complaints; the
complaints might have centered instead on fried lumps of very
expensive silicon............

John Lewis

jeffc
November 24th 03, 07:05 PM
"Joe Hayes" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
> overheat.

Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the trouble
of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for consumers,
who knows......

Darthy
November 25th 03, 10:27 AM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:05:11 -0500, "jeffc" >
wrote:

>"Joe Hayes" > wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
>> overheat.
>
>Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the trouble
>of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for consumers,
>who knows......

They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.

Or the accessory market that sells those useless HD coolers that has
fans UNDER the HD or the DIMM memory heat-sink covers that costs
$10... gee if the DIMM needed it, the manufacture would have included
them to begin with....

Sure it looks nice, but a waste of $10 an could cause failure.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

jeffc
November 25th 03, 05:42 PM
"Darthy" > wrote in message

> >Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the
trouble
> >of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for
consumers,
> >who knows......
>
> They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
> on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.
>
> Or the accessory market that sells those useless HD coolers that has
> fans UNDER the HD or the DIMM memory heat-sink covers that costs
> $10... gee if the DIMM needed it, the manufacture would have included
> them to begin with....
>
> Sure it looks nice, but a waste of $10 an could cause failure.

I see your point, but a lot of this isn't what is *needed*, it's what
improves performance. Cheaper memory, weaker power supply.... sure, there
might be some system crashes, and sure it might break in 2 years, but hey
you just think Windows crashed, and you'll just buy a new computer when it
breaks, right? I'm not saying there's no eye candy out there, but it
doesn't mean that some of this stuff isn't good.

Darthy
November 25th 03, 11:45 PM
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:42:52 -0500, "jeffc" >
wrote:

>"Darthy" > wrote in message
>> >
>> >Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the
>trouble
>> >of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for
>consumers,
>> >who knows......
>>
>> They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
>> on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.
>>
>> Or the accessory market that sells those useless HD coolers that has
>> fans UNDER the HD or the DIMM memory heat-sink covers that costs
>> $10... gee if the DIMM needed it, the manufacture would have included
>> them to begin with....
>>
>> Sure it looks nice, but a waste of $10 an could cause failure.
>
>I see your point, but a lot of this isn't what is *needed*, it's what
>improves performance. Cheaper memory, weaker power supply.... sure, there
>might be some system crashes, and sure it might break in 2 years, but hey
>you just think Windows crashed, and you'll just buy a new computer when it
>breaks, right? I'm not saying there's no eye candy out there, but it
>doesn't mean that some of this stuff isn't good.

I dont mind the eye candy on products - but im more concerned with
actual functionality that "looks"

HD coolers that are screwed to the bottom are a joke... they look very
high tech and cool... but nothing more... they could distrupt the air
flow for the rest of the system.

HD coolers which fit in 5.25 Drive bays that suck in aire from the
front over the drive - is actually usable... buying 2-3 of these $20
devices is is kind of a waste since a good $60~200 case would already
have good HD cooling. Enermax 101 seried and the Antec cases are good
at that.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

tq96
November 26th 03, 09:28 AM
> They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
> on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.

When you move from passive cooling to active cooling, you can add a fan and
make the heat sink smaller. Since a fan is cheaper than a hunk of metal,
the manufacturers can actually save money by putting a fan on the
northbridge with a dinky heatsink instead of a nice-sized one without a
fan.

Lenny
November 26th 03, 11:43 AM
> Since a fan is cheaper than a hunk of metal

This, I seriously doubt. There's actually upwards of two dozen separate
components in a fan, compared to a heatsink which is just one. Also, fans
that small quickly break down and cost money in warranty returns.

Darthy
November 26th 03, 11:47 AM
On 26 Nov 2003 02:28:23 -0600, tq96 > wrote:

>> They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
>> on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.
>
>When you move from passive cooling to active cooling, you can add a fan and
>make the heat sink smaller. Since a fan is cheaper than a hunk of metal,
>the manufacturers can actually save money by putting a fan on the
>northbridge with a dinky heatsink instead of a nice-sized one without a
>fan.

???

Er... a good North bridge Heat sink costs less than a fan...

A heatsink (large) has a failure rate of 0.

A HSF for Northbridge can fail in: The fan motor, the power cable -
besides the added overall noise to the system. No serious reviewer
and system builder WANTS a fan over a heat sink for that part.

Cost of a Heatsink... pennies.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

jeffc
November 26th 03, 06:24 PM
"Lenny" > wrote in message

> > Since a fan is cheaper than a hunk of metal
>
> This, I seriously doubt. There's actually upwards of two dozen separate
> components in a fan, compared to a heatsink which is just one. Also, fans
> that small quickly break down and cost money in warranty returns.

Well copper is a very good heat conducting metal, and copper heatsinks can
be quite expensive, but I doubt fans are cheaper than most aluminum
heatsinks....