PDA

View Full Version : FX5600 vs. FX5700 and Ultra versions

Eagle
November 21st 03, 02:59 PM
Hi Group !

I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
:-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
help on this.

Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
Eagle

ART
November 21st 03, 03:34 PM
Forget 5600 , and go for a 5700 Ultra .

ART

"Eagle" > a écrit dans le message de
> Hi Group !
>
> I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
> :-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
> FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
> the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
> as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
> help on this.
>
> Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
> Eagle

Jbob
November 21st 03, 07:44 PM
Ok where can I find a 5700. Pricewatch doesn't even list those though they
do list the 5600's.

"ART" > wrote in message
> Forget 5600 , and go for a 5700 Ultra .
>
> ART
>

> "Eagle" > a écrit dans le message de
> > Hi Group !
> >
> > I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
> > :-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
> > FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
> > the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
> > as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
> > help on this.
> >
> > Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
> > Eagle

Jbob
November 21st 03, 07:54 PM
Duh I found them. Does anybody make a 256 mb version? Looks like Asus
skipped this version.

"ART" > wrote in message
> Forget 5600 , and go for a 5700 Ultra .
>
> ART
>

> "Eagle" > a écrit dans le message de
> > Hi Group !
> >
> > I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
> > :-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
> > FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
> > the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
> > as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
> > help on this.
> >
> > Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?
> >
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
> > Eagle

Dark Avenger
November 21st 03, 09:19 PM
Eagle > wrote in message >...
> Hi Group !
>
> I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
> :-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
> FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
> the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
> as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
> help on this.
>
> Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
> Eagle

The FX5600 is a failed product, so screw that!

The 5700 Ultra will suit you fine for a good price :-)

DaveW
November 22nd 03, 01:46 AM
Avoid the 5600's; they're unreasonably slow for the price. The 5700 Ultra
is considerably faster DDR2 memory!

--
DaveW

"Eagle" > wrote in message
> Hi Group !
>
> I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
> :-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
> FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
> the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
> as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
> help on this.
>
> Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
> Eagle

Darthy
November 22nd 03, 07:36 AM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:54:50 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:

>Duh I found them. Does anybody make a 256 mb version? Looks like Asus
>skipped this version.

What would you expect the 256mb version to give you? Look at any
review, the $400 cards gain nothing for having 256mb over 128..., the
avg is 2fps - and thats when the card is already running 120+fps,
you're not goingto see it.

A mid-range $200 card gains nothing.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Jbob
November 22nd 03, 05:04 PM
Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:54:50 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:
>
> >Duh I found them. Does anybody make a 256 mb version? Looks like Asus
> >skipped this version.
>
> What would you expect the 256mb version to give you? Look at any
> review, the $400 cards gain nothing for having 256mb over 128..., the
> avg is 2fps - and thats when the card is already running 120+fps,
> you're not goingto see it.
>
> A mid-range $200 card gains nothing.
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 23rd 03, 11:16 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:04:19 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:

>Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
>for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
>anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
>That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

Well... A: Youre buying? B: You have ultimate choice...

If he really wants it, make him work for it...

A 256mb video card DOES NOTHING, unless you buy the 5950 for $500~600,
and the extra speed is NOT because it has 256mb.

What kind of CPU/mobo are you getting, case? Put that extra $50~100
towards better parts, etc. For the budger, ATI9600-XT with Half Life
2 is the best deal... or 5700Ultra-128. Not worth getting 5800s,
they have been discontinued a long time ago.

Check out this case, it TOTALLY ROCKS!

http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc - Thats about $110 for that case with
400watt PSU.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 23rd 03, 11:16 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:04:19 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:

>Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
>for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
>anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
>That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

PS: I forgot to tell you, if you're getting a NVIDIA board, yes MSI
makes excellent card with good low-noise fans...

This is based on PERSONAL EXPERINCES with GF4 and 5900

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Jbob
November 24th 03, 08:06 AM
Yep thanks

I'm pretty much an Asus fan. Only one board in the last 8 years hasn't been
one(a Tyan Super 7 board). I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get a A7N8X
Deluxe. My system is a A7V333 running a Asus based GeForce4 TI 4400. It is
only a rev 1 board. Just popped in a XP 2400+. Been running a XP 1900+.
Still not sure which CPU I'm gonna get for the new board but it probably
won't be the 3200, at least initially. Never used ATI stuff except for
onboard systems in Dells(from Office).

"Darthy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:04:19 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:
>
> >Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
> >for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
> >anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset
either.
> >That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's
>
> PS: I forgot to tell you, if you're getting a NVIDIA board, yes MSI
> makes excellent card with good low-noise fans...
>
> This is based on PERSONAL EXPERINCES with GF4 and 5900
>

> --
> Remember when real men used Real computers!?
> When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
>
> Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Darthy
November 25th 03, 10:27 AM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:06:42 -0600, "Jbob" > wrote:

>Yep thanks
>
>I'm pretty much an Asus fan. Only one board in the last 8 years hasn't been
>one(a Tyan Super 7 board). I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get a A7N8X
>Deluxe. My system is a A7V333 running a Asus based GeForce4 TI 4400. It is
>only a rev 1 board. Just popped in a XP 2400+. Been running a XP 1900+.
>Still not sure which CPU I'm gonna get for the new board but it probably
>won't be the 3200, at least initially. Never used ATI stuff except for
>onboard systems in Dells(from Office).

Unless you have problems, I wouldn't upgrade it to the A7N8x...

You're already running an AMD2400... a 2600~2800 will not add much
speed, I wouldn't find it justified.

Consider an NForce3 chipset board with an AMD64 next year... perhaps
even a BTX setup...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Jbob
December 3rd 03, 02:20 AM
Well I'm actually building a new system(gaming) for my son to replace the
Asus K7V/AMD 800 that he is running now.