PDA

View Full Version : Error installing directx 9.0b; GF2 MX400, WiN ME

Craig J.
November 20th 03, 12:55 AM
No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.

Can anyone help?

I hate microsoft at this point...

Shawk
November 20th 03, 02:16 AM
"Craig J." > wrote in message
om...
> No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
> trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
> Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
> research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
> suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
> remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
> directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
> no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
> VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
> and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> I hate microsoft at this point...

May be a corrupted file from the web install which is still affecting your
distributable. Have you deleted all parts of the failed DX web install?
Have you tried to install an older version and accept yes to overwriting all
newer files and then tried to re-install 9.0b over this (after rebooting in
between)?

HTH

John Lewis
November 20th 03, 08:43 AM
On 19 Nov 2003 15:55:07 -0800, (Craig J.)
wrote:

>No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
>trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
>Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
>research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
>suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
>remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
>directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
>no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
>VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
>and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>I hate microsoft at this point...

Given your unsuccessful attempts at clean-uninstalling DX, you may
have a corrupted OS.

System-restore is a very useful tool for reversing operations
that have no uninstall support. Sadly neglected.

John Lewis

horizon
November 20th 03, 01:58 PM
"Craig J." > wrote in message
om...
> No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
> trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
> Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
> research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
> suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
> remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
> directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
> no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
> VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
> and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> I hate microsoft at this point...

Directx 9 is optimized for the newer Geforce cards. You should download
Direct X 8.1 that will work fine for u, I had same problem.

Andrew
November 20th 03, 02:03 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:58:32 -0000, "horizon" > wrote:

>Directx 9 is optimized for the newer Geforce cards. You should download
>Direct X 8.1 that will work fine for u, I had same problem.

Huh? Newer GeForce cards are "optimised" for the Direct 3D components
of DX9. A lot of games these days require DX9 for functions that are
nothing to do with Direct 3D.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

Larry Roberts
November 20th 03, 04:54 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:58:32 -0000, "horizon" > wrote:

>"Craig J." > wrote in message
om...
>> No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
>> trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
>> Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
>> research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
>> suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
>> remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
>> directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
>> no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
>> VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
>> and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> I hate microsoft at this point...
>
>Directx 9 is optimized for the newer Geforce cards. You should download
>Direct X 8.1 that will work fine for u, I had same problem.

Doesn't matter what 3D card you are running. Newer games
require DX9. He, and you should upgrade to DX9 if you want to play
newer games. Oh... And not all DX9 games require new cards to be
played. I play most on my old GF3 Ti200 fine. :)

Craig J.
November 21st 03, 04:12 AM
(John Lewis) wrote in message >...
> Given your unsuccessful attempts at clean-uninstalling DX, you may
> have a corrupted OS.
>
> System-restore is a very useful tool for reversing operations
> that have no uninstall support. Sadly neglected.
>
> John Lewis

That sucks hard, if true. Because I blew System restore off my system
way back when, when I was trying to make Windows ME lean and mean and
more like 98SE.

Oh well. Perhaps this is God's way of nudging me towards ordering
that new pC I'm overdue for. This current system dates to 1999: Soyo
i440BX slot 1 board upgraded w/ Powerleap PLiP-3T module (1.2Ghz
Celeron), and 384 meg of old 100mhz SDRAM.

I was going to try newer WWII first person shooter "Call of Duty" but
saw it req'd DX9, so I wanted to see if my system would accept DX9
before dropping ca$h on the game. Guess I have my answer. Sigh...

Thanks guys, for the suggestions. Going to screw around with it a bit
more this evening, then if no luck, Santa is getting a letter
describing the new rig I want: AMD 2800+, MSI 6570 K7N2 Delta-L
nForce2 mobo, 120 gig ATA133 drive, nVidia 5600 or better vidcard,
1024meg PC3200 DDR RAM, DVD writer... and more :~) :~) :~) :~) :~)
(I'm 40 so I play Santa to myself, heh)

Flow
November 21st 03, 11:31 PM
Dude,call of duty runs fine on dx8.1
I got it running on a [email protected] with gf2 card and at 800x600 it plays
nice.
Ofcourse the performance detection method of this game works good so
graphics are a bit less then on my xp2400 with ti4400 card.
Also running with directx8.1. and very fast.

"Craig J." > schreef in bericht
m...
> (John Lewis) wrote in message
> > Given your unsuccessful attempts at clean-uninstalling DX, you may
> > have a corrupted OS.
> >
> > System-restore is a very useful tool for reversing operations
> > that have no uninstall support. Sadly neglected.
> >
> > John Lewis
>

> That sucks hard, if true. Because I blew System restore off my system
> way back when, when I was trying to make Windows ME lean and mean and
> more like 98SE.
>
> Oh well. Perhaps this is God's way of nudging me towards ordering
> that new pC I'm overdue for. This current system dates to 1999: Soyo
> i440BX slot 1 board upgraded w/ Powerleap PLiP-3T module (1.2Ghz
> Celeron), and 384 meg of old 100mhz SDRAM.
>
> I was going to try newer WWII first person shooter "Call of Duty" but
> saw it req'd DX9, so I wanted to see if my system would accept DX9
> before dropping ca$h on the game. Guess I have my answer. Sigh...
>
> Thanks guys, for the suggestions. Going to screw around with it a bit
> more this evening, then if no luck, Santa is getting a letter
> describing the new rig I want: AMD 2800+, MSI 6570 K7N2 Delta-L
> nForce2 mobo, 120 gig ATA133 drive, nVidia 5600 or better vidcard,
> 1024meg PC3200 DDR RAM, DVD writer... and more :~) :~) :~) :~) :~)
> (I'm 40 so I play Santa to myself, heh)

Flow
November 21st 03, 11:34 PM
Nope,most newer games do not require dx9.xx
Sure,they claim it on the box and in the manual.
Just try it with dx8.1 and you would be surprised how many games of today
just run fine.
Don't forget,the dx9 newer instructions do require a dx9 videocard.
An older card simply wont use those functions from dx9.

"Larry Roberts" > schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:58:32 -0000, "horizon" > wrote:
>

> >"Craig J." > wrote in message
> om...
> >> No matter what i get "Directx did not copy a required file" error when
> >> trying either the web setup or the full redistribution download of
> >> Directx 9.0b. I've scoured USENET and the web with Google trying to
> >> research this and it seems a fairly common error but none of the
> >> suggested fixes have worked for me: check system.ini attribute and
> >> remove read-only status if set, run scanreg /fix, uninstall prev
> >> directx (8.1) using Directx Buster, try fresh install of 9.0b, still
> >> no luck. Tried in safe mode, no luck. Tried setting display to PCI
> >> VGA adapter, still no luck getting DX9.0b installed- same error over
> >> and over. Checked all .inf fiels and none have read only attrib set.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> I hate microsoft at this point...
> >
> >Directx 9 is optimized for the newer Geforce cards. You should download
> >Direct X 8.1 that will work fine for u, I had same problem.
> >

> Doesn't matter what 3D card you are running. Newer games
> require DX9. He, and you should upgrade to DX9 if you want to play
> newer games. Oh... And not all DX9 games require new cards to be
> played. I play most on my old GF3 Ti200 fine. :)

Craig J.
November 23rd 03, 12:24 AM
Really? That is great news then! I've got DX8.1b installed, and have
given up on 9.0b for now. Might take a chance on Call of Duty after
all...

"Flow" > wrote in message news:<Vnwvb.4317$%[email protected]>...
> Dude,call of duty runs fine on dx8.1
> I got it running on a [email protected] with gf2 card and at 800x600 it plays
> nice.
> Ofcourse the performance detection method of this game works good so
> graphics are a bit less then on my xp2400 with ti4400 card.
> Also running with directx8.1. and very fast.

John Lewis
November 23rd 03, 10:29 AM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:34:30 +0100, "Flow" > wrote:

>Nope,most newer games do not require dx9.xx
>Sure,they claim it on the box and in the manual.
>Just try it with dx8.1 and you would be surprised how many games of today
>just run fine.
>Don't forget,the dx9 newer instructions do require a dx9 videocard.
>An older card simply wont use those functions from dx9.

Ummm...........

An example from current releases:-
Star Wars:KOTOR specifies DirectX9.0b on the box,
has it on the CD, checks whether DX9.0b is on your machine,
and asks for your permission to install if not. Since I have
DirectX9.0b already installed, I don't know what the game-install
will do if you refuse the installation. Minimum system requirements
on the box is "DirectX9.0b-compatible" computer, "DirectX9.0b-
compatible Sound Card" and "DirectX may require the latest
drivers for your particular hardware"

Do not let DirectX9.0b software requirements
fool you into thinking that your HARDWARE (with
latest drivers !! ) is not supported.

For example, in the above game, GF2, 3, 4, FX and oodles
of Ati families are all supported.

If you cannot get DX9.0b to run correctly on your system,
you are very likely to have:-

a. A corrupted OS installation
b. An OS installation that has not been fully updated
via Windows Update.............
c. An obsolete OS ( win95, 98 )
Win 98SE, ME still supported AFAIK
d. Obsolete sound or video drivers !!
Sound drivers are often overlooked in
troubleshooting DX problems.........
e: Faulty or obsolete hardware (3dfx etc..........)
f. Interrupt contentions... Device Manager is
very poor at telling the truth here.......

Successful completion of a DxDiag run on the latest
version of DX is a very useful diagnostic of the overall
health of a modern PC system, its A/V peripherals and its
drivers, particularly a system intended for PC gaming.

Please do not post any software technical problems
(crashes, BSODs, slow-downs, failure-to-install etc) relating
to any NEW PC games, ( regardless of whether they
are DX9.0b or earlier) unless you have successfully
installed DX9.0b on your system and successfully run
DXDiag to completion. It is quite likely that you have a
corrupted system or out-of-date drivers that may be the
root-cause of the problems you are seeing.

Bottom line: If you can't get DX9.0b to work, but a game
runs happily with an earlier Dx installation, thank your fairy
godmother..........but also start an appropriate investigation
ASAP... with upcoming releases your luck is likely to run out
very soon. Also, never install a new version of Dx
without setting a System Restore point first. Even if your
system is perfectly compatible with the new version
of Dx, a hosed installation can cripple your system. Also
run DxDiag immediately after the installation.

John Lewis