PDA

View Full Version : my Ti4200/64MB just got an upgrade (weird)


Kieran
November 19th 03, 07:40 AM
Okay weird things going on here w/ my PC.

I'll try to make a long story short. I got a new mobo... gigabyte
ga-7n400 pro. I installed it, but XP wouldn't load (wrong drivers,
etc.)... so I had to take the new mobo out and put back in my old one
in order to boot my old system so I could back up some stuff. Did
that. put the new mobo back in. Clean install of XP. Now the fun
begins.

When the system posts... the video card bios shows that my card is a
GeForce4 NV28, with 128MB of RAM. Thing is, my video card is a GF4
Ti4200, with 64MB of RAM. But the system boots up okay anyway (sort
of).

Windows XP comes up, and all seems fine. Except that when I try to
access the internet (dsl connection is golden) there's no activity on
the dsl modem for about 2 minutes... IE just sits there trying to load
msn.com... THEN the hdd spins around a bunch, and viola! I have net
data traffic again.

Similarly, if I try to access my system properties (either by
right-clicking on my computer or by double clicking on 'system' in
control panel) NOTHING happens... no windows pop up or anything, for
about 2 minutes... THEN the hdd spins a bunch and the windows I asked
for 2 mins ago pop up, and all is normal.

From then on the net and everything seems normal. But WTF? This
happens ever time I boot.

Oh, and if I do properties on my video card, it does show up in XP as
a gf4 Ti4200... but still with 128MB of RAM, not the 64 it really has.

I don't mind a free upgrade of video RAM, but... !!!!
Thanks for any help... I'm going nuts right now.

Oh, and I'm not doing any overclocking right now of any kind.

Daniel Crichton
November 19th 03, 05:41 PM
Kieran > wrote:

> When the system posts... the video card bios shows that my card is a
> GeForce4 NV28, with 128MB of RAM. Thing is, my video card is a GF4
> Ti4200, with 64MB of RAM. But the system boots up okay anyway (sort
> of).

NV28 is the id for the 8x AGP range of the GF4 Ti chipsets, so if your card
is fairly new it's very likely to be an NV28 Ti4200-8X. If your card BIOS is
showing the id then it's possible there's a problem with it, which could
also explain it reporting 128MB instead of 64MB. Then again maybe it really
is a 128MB card. Check the manufacturer web site for the model number.

> Windows XP comes up, and all seems fine. Except that when I try to
> access the internet (dsl connection is golden) there's no activity on
> the dsl modem for about 2 minutes... IE just sits there trying to load
> msn.com... THEN the hdd spins around a bunch, and viola! I have net
> data traffic again.
>
> Similarly, if I try to access my system properties (either by
> right-clicking on my computer or by double clicking on 'system' in
> control panel) NOTHING happens... no windows pop up or anything, for
> about 2 minutes... THEN the hdd spins a bunch and the windows I asked
> for 2 mins ago pop up, and all is normal.
>
> From then on the net and everything seems normal. But WTF? This
> happens ever time I boot.

Similar thing used to happen on my PC. Open up Internet Explorer, choose the
Tools -> Internet Options menu, go to the Advanced tab, scroll down until
you find the "Enable third party browser extensions (requires restart)"
option and uncheck it. Close IE, open it. If the pausing stops, then it's
that's cured it (so far I have never needed to re-enable that option,
despite using plugins, custom toolbars, and other apps that integrate into
IE). I can only guess that something IE was loading up either took a long
time on the first request or was searching for something on my PC. Spyware
probes and AV checks never turned up anything though.

> Oh, and if I do properties on my video card, it does show up in XP as
> a gf4 Ti4200... but still with 128MB of RAM, not the 64 it really has.

XP will just show what the graphics card BIOS tells it.

Dan

Darthy
November 21st 03, 10:13 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:41:31 -0000, "Daniel Crichton"
> wrote:

>Kieran > wrote:

>
>> Oh, and if I do properties on my video card, it does show up in XP as
>> a gf4 Ti4200... but still with 128MB of RAM, not the 64 it really has.
>
>XP will just show what the graphics card BIOS tells it.

The Original Poster, Kieran should try out AIDA32, an awsome utilitiy
- it'll tell you everything it can about your whole computer...
software and hardware, and you can even manage much of it from within
AIDA... free program, no spyware of any sort. www.aida32.hu

Here what it says about my video card.

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon
9800 (R350)
GPU Code Name R350
PCI Device 1002 / 4E48
Transistors 110 million
Process Technology 0.15u
Bus Type AGP
Memory Size 128 MB
GPU Clock 378 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 8
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders 4 (v2.0)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0
Pixel Fillrate 3024 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 3024 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 256-bit
Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 676 MHz
Bandwidth 21632 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer:
Company Name ATI
Technologies Inc.
Product Information
http://www.ati.com/products/builtdesktoppc.html
Driver Download
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Shesh, it even says (elsewhere) that it has Samsung memory modules
(which it does).


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!