PDA

View Full Version : nVidia returnee, What's good?


Peter Hackett
November 19th 03, 01:17 AM
I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
card died.
What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
better buy than some of the newer cards.
Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?

P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat. 3.8
& 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
of nVidia drivers doing that.

Shawk
November 19th 03, 01:49 AM
"Peter Hackett" > wrote in message
...
> I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
> card died.
> What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
> I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
> better buy than some of the newer cards.
> Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
>
> P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat.
3.8
> & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
> of nVidia drivers doing that.
>
>

You are of course talking crap ref ATI. I have a 9600 running sweet with
everything turned to the max with the 3.9's playing DX and OGL games. I
also have two other PC's with NVidia cards which are also running sweet.
Have had issues with both Co's and in all cases it has been the interaction
between the card drivers and the mobo drivers. Have always been able to
sort these through ensuring the correct chipset drivers and reloading DX9.

However ref your query the Ti4200 is a decent card - depends on what you
want to do and how much you want to pay. How about some more info?

Robert Pendell
November 19th 03, 02:32 AM
"Peter Hackett" > wrote in message
...
> I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
> card died.
> What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
> I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
> better buy than some of the newer cards.
> Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
>
> P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat.
3.8
> & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
> of nVidia drivers doing that.
>

I have a 8500 running Cat 3.9's just fine. There are no problems and
everything is fine. That is of course except for the occasional graphic
glitch but beyond that....


--
Robert Pendell

John Lewis
November 19th 03, 09:08 AM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:17:03 -0400, "Peter Hackett"
> wrote:

>I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
>card died.
>What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
>I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
>better buy than some of the newer cards.
>Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
>
>P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat. 3.8
>& 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact.

How ??

( I actually do not own an Ati card, and do not intend to get
one soon. However, such a drastic statement needs some facts
to support it )

John Lewis

>Never heard
>of nVidia drivers doing that.
>
>

John Lewis
November 19th 03, 09:10 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:32:52 GMT, "Robert Pendell"
> wrote:

>"Peter Hackett" > wrote in message
...
>> I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
>> card died.
>> What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
>> I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
>> better buy than some of the newer cards.
>> Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
>>
>> P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat.
>3.8
>> & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
>> of nVidia drivers doing that.
>>
>
>I have a 8500 running Cat 3.9's just fine. There are no problems and
>everything is fine. That is of course except for the occasional graphic
>glitch but beyond that....
>

Systematic or random ? If random, check temps.......

John Lewis

>
>--
>Robert Pendell

>
>

Dark Avenger
November 19th 03, 09:28 AM
"gRoDa_L0Ts4pOt" > wrote in message >...
> I belive ya man. ATI has great hardware, but I think they hire 10yr olds to
> write their drivers. Although Nvidia's hardware is behind ATI, at least the
> NVidia ppl constantly release updated driver that WORK without screwing your
> OS or hardware.
>
> "Peter Hackett" > wrote in message
> ...
> | I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
> | card died.
> | What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
> | I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
> | better buy than some of the newer cards.
> | Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
> |
> | P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat.
> 3.8
> | & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
> | of nVidia drivers doing that.
> |
> |

Mmmm, why then did Nvidia used Ati's driver team to make a unified
compiler ( and later ****ed up the compiler to again cheat )

Andrew
November 19th 03, 09:42 AM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:17:03 -0400, "Peter Hackett"
> wrote:

>I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my graphics
>card died.
>What's the best mainstream graphics card available?

ATI 9800 something - not sure which model is best.

>P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat. 3.8
>& 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never heard
>of nVidia drivers doing that.
>
Bull****.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

Yves Leclerc
November 19th 03, 03:53 PM
I also read the some nVidia drivers also "killed" some nVidia boards. Each
company do have some board that become "flaky" and with newer drivers can
push any card over the top.

Y.

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
...
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:17:03 -0400, "Peter Hackett"
> > wrote:
>
> >I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my
graphics
> >card died.
> >What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
>
> ATI 9800 something - not sure which model is best.
>
> >P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the Cat.
3.8
> >& 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never
heard
> >of nVidia drivers doing that.
> >
> Bull****.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

Robert Pendell
November 19th 03, 05:21 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:32:52 GMT, "Robert Pendell"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Peter Hackett" > wrote in message
> ...
> >> I've fallen back on my onboard nforce2 GPU (Geforce4 MX) after my
graphics
> >> card died.
> >> What's the best mainstream graphics card available?
> >> I've seen the Ti4200 being praised quite a bit, and it appears to be a
> >> better buy than some of the newer cards.
> >> Or, should I struggle along with what I have until next year?
> >>
> >> P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the
Cat.
> >3.8
> >> & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a fact. Never
heard
> >> of nVidia drivers doing that.
> >>
> >
> >I have a 8500 running Cat 3.9's just fine. There are no problems and
> >everything is fine. That is of course except for the occasional graphic
> >glitch but beyond that....
> >
>
> Systematic or random ? If random, check temps.......
>
Random. But it happens if on the windows desktop and it happened if the
room was like 30C. I didn't overclock the card.


--
Robert Pendell

Carl
November 19th 03, 11:24 PM
Peter Hackett wrote:

> P.S.: When discussing ATI and nVidia drivers, keep in mind that the
> Cat. 3.8 & 3.9 drivers can kill your graphics card - I know for a
> fact. Never heard of nVidia drivers doing that.

Sounds like you read that on a website somewhere and have taken it for
gospel. Is this your fact? What is the fact? C'mon, back up your claim!

I can show you a few websites and forums that will say people have seen
Elvis, or they've been abducted by ET!! Will you believe these claims? I'm
afraid unless you can back up this claim with an official quote from the ATI
boffins that checks out, you have have lost any credibility that you may
have had.

Believing stuff in forums/websites needs official admissions/quotes from the
source. As far I'm aware there are none from ATI, but I may stand
corrected.

Try Ebay for your card. I've sold all my previous cards on there without
problem. Bid for the best card for what you can afford.

~Carl