PDA

View Full Version : NVidia Linux Driver XF86Config Question

Steve Mowbray
November 17th 03, 10:02 PM
Hi

Have installed the NVidia Linux drivers which appear to be working just need
to configure device options properly now.

I get the error "Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0"
in "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" followed by a list of default modes which are
now out of range / invalid.

X starts in 1280x1024x85Hz with panning for 1600x1200 (which is also the
previous "nv" driver mode before driver update).

My question is how to configure the nvidia.o driver to suit the graphics
mode I want (i.e. [email protected](76)Hz).

Thanks
Steve

baskitcaise
November 17th 03, 11:49 PM
Steve Mowbray wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have installed the NVidia Linux drivers which appear to be working just need
> to configure device options properly now.
>
> I get the error "Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0"
> in "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" followed by a list of default modes which are
> now out of range / invalid.
>
> X starts in 1280x1024x85Hz with panning for 1600x1200 (which is also the
> previous "nv" driver mode before driver update).
>
> My question is how to configure the nvidia.o driver to suit the graphics
> mode I want (i.e. [email protected](76)Hz).
>
> Thanks
> Steve

What distro are you using? ( so we know what tools you have ) if Suse use sax2
as root in runlevel 3

If not SuSE you should be able to drop to runlevel 3 by giving "init 3" at a
term as root and then try and run xf86config, it should be here /usr/X11R6
bin/xf86config

This will allow you to change the settings a lot easier than editing the
XF86Config file by hand.

HTH

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

A J
November 18th 03, 04:27 AM
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:49:15 +0000, baskitcaise wrote:

> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have installed the NVidia Linux drivers which appear to be working just need
>> to configure device options properly now.
>>
>> I get the error "Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0"
>> in "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" followed by a list of default modes which are
>> now out of range / invalid.
>>
>> X starts in 1280x1024x85Hz with panning for 1600x1200 (which is also the
>> previous "nv" driver mode before driver update).
>>
>> My question is how to configure the nvidia.o driver to suit the graphics
>> mode I want (i.e. [email protected](76)Hz).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Steve
>
> What distro are you using? ( so we know what tools you have ) if Suse use sax2
> as root in runlevel 3
>
> If not SuSE you should be able to drop to runlevel 3 by giving "init 3" at a
> term as root and then try and run xf86config, it should be here /usr/X11R6
> bin/xf86config
>
> This will allow you to change the settings a lot easier than editing the
> XF86Config file by hand.
>
> HTH

I'm not running SuSE, but in Redhat the XF86Config file you want to
edit/configure is located in /etc/X11/. Make sure to change the videocard
device driver from "nv" to "nvidia" and also remove the 'Load "DRI"'
module at the top. As far as screen resolutions that can be configured in
the "screen" section.

-AJ

Steve Mowbray
November 18th 03, 11:43 AM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Have installed the NVidia Linux drivers which appear to be working just
need
> > to configure device options properly now.
> >
> > I get the error "Failure reading EDID parameters for display device
CRT-0"
> > in "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" followed by a list of default modes which
are
> > now out of range / invalid.
> >
> > X starts in 1280x1024x85Hz with panning for 1600x1200 (which is also the
> > previous "nv" driver mode before driver update).
> >
> > My question is how to configure the nvidia.o driver to suit the graphics
> > mode I want (i.e. [email protected](76)Hz).
> >
> > Thanks
> > Steve
>
> What distro are you using? ( so we know what tools you have ) if Suse use
sax2
> as root in runlevel 3

RedHat 9 (System Settings -> Display : brings up redhat-config-xfree86 tool)

Driver ignores changes and overrides with panning mode. I think it is
something to do with the monitor not being DDC compatible (have set the
monitor to generic 1600x1200x76Hz).

Switching to 16bit display allows full display but 24-bit winds up in the
panning mode

Since the config tool does not help I assume that it is an NVidia driver
specific option(s) that needs to be set accordingly hence the manual edit of
the XF86Config file.

> If not SuSE you should be able to drop to runlevel 3 by giving "init 3" at
> term as root and then try and run xf86config, it should be here /usr/X11R6
> bin/xf86config

have searched for xf86config and XF86config but no luck

> This will allow you to change the settings a lot easier than editing the
> XF86Config file by hand.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Mark
> Twixt hill and high water.
> N.Wales, UK.
> Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

Steve Mowbray
November 18th 03, 11:50 AM
"A J" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:49:15 +0000, baskitcaise wrote:
>
> > Steve Mowbray wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Have installed the NVidia Linux drivers which appear to be working just
need
> >> to configure device options properly now.
> >>
> >> I get the error "Failure reading EDID parameters for display device
CRT-0"
> >> in "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" followed by a list of default modes which
are
> >> now out of range / invalid.
> >>
> >> X starts in 1280x1024x85Hz with panning for 1600x1200 (which is also
the
> >> previous "nv" driver mode before driver update).
> >>
> >> My question is how to configure the nvidia.o driver to suit the
graphics
> >> mode I want (i.e. [email protected](76)Hz).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Steve
> >
> > What distro are you using? ( so we know what tools you have ) if Suse
use sax2
> > as root in runlevel 3
> >
> > If not SuSE you should be able to drop to runlevel 3 by giving "init 3"
at a
> > term as root and then try and run xf86config, it should be here
/usr/X11R6
> > bin/xf86config
> >
> > This will allow you to change the settings a lot easier than editing the
> > XF86Config file by hand.
> >
> > HTH
>
> I'm not running SuSE, but in Redhat the XF86Config file you want to
> edit/configure is located in /etc/X11/. Make sure to change the videocard
> device driver from "nv" to "nvidia" and also remove the 'Load "DRI"'
> module at the top. As far as screen resolutions that can be configured in
> the "screen" section.

Thanks for this - I have found the config file and made these changes as
part of the install. However the accelerated "nvidia" driver ignores the
standard X settings and overrides with panning mode, whereas the generic
"nv" driver worked quite happily with the same settings.

Have found out that 1600x1200 works okay in the accelerated driver at 16-bit
but not 24-bit (I have 32M grfx RAM with 32M shared).

I assume it is something to do with my monitor not being DDC compatible and
needing some accelerated driver specific options to cope with this fact.

> -AJ

baskitcaise
November 18th 03, 12:14 PM
Steve Mowbray wrote:

I know this is not much help but I have seen someone else with this prob on
the suse group and as far as I can see he cannot get it to work yet, I can`t
find it now the message has expired here :(

I think you might need to change the 16`s -24`s and then put your desired
screen size first in the list of modes or clone one for 16 bit and one for 24
bit.

Section "Screen"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

Have you tried asking on the Nvidia website linux forums, someone there might
know the right answer straight away.

I cannot check this as my monitor a cheapo standby 17" cannot do anything near
that res/freq :(

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

Steve Mowbray
November 18th 03, 12:30 PM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>
> I know this is not much help but I have seen someone else with this prob
on
> the suse group and as far as I can see he cannot get it to work yet, I
can`t
> find it now the message has expired here :(
>
> I think you might need to change the 16`s -24`s and then put your desired
> screen size first in the list of modes or clone one for 16 bit and one for
24
> bit.
>
> Section "Screen"
> DefaultDepth 16
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 15
> Modes "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 16
> Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> EndSubSection

Yes have tried this without any luck.

> Have you tried asking on the Nvidia website linux forums, someone there
might
> know the right answer straight away.

Maybe something to do with my modeline setting - a quick search brings up
the following info posted by John A McCubbin

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

These help you generate the exact modelines you need to match everything
up.

Am going to give this a try (with much care).

> I cannot check this as my monitor a cheapo standby 17" cannot do anything
near
> that res/freq :(
>
> --
> Mark
> Twixt hill and high water.
> N.Wales, UK.
> Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

baskitcaise
November 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Steve Mowbray wrote:

> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
>
> http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
>
> These help you generate the exact modelines you need to match everything
> up.
>
> Am going to give this a try (with much care).

Hope they work for you.

Keep us informed as it appears that the poster on the suse group is still
having the exact same prob, will send him those links.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

Steve Mowbray
November 18th 03, 01:43 PM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>

> > http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
> >
> > http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
> >
> > These help you generate the exact modelines you need to match everything
> > up.
> >
> > Am going to give this a try (with much care).
> >

> Hope they work for you.
>
> Keep us informed as it appears that the poster on the suse group is still
> having the exact same prob, will send him those links.

No joy yet - will try the NVidia forums you suggested.