PDA

View Full Version : Graphic cards and ga-8sg667

Filippo Bagattoni
November 17th 03, 01:52 PM
I have a gigabyte ga-8sg667 MB with agp 8x support but in MB box it's
written that are only supported 4x(1.5 V) graphic cards....In Gigabyte
website it's written that my MB completely support AGP 8x graphic
cards, but when I wrote a letter to gigabyte support service to
question if I could install any ultimate generation graphic cards like
xfx ge-force 5200,5600,5900 ultra or Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, that was the
reply:"First of all, thank you for making Gigabyte your choice.
About the issue you mentioned in the mail, you might be able top use
these AGP cards, but the speed will downgrade to 4X only. And we can't
guarantee the result. Please try before you buy
.."!!!!Unbelievable!!!!So why the hell they write AGP 8x support
everywhere when they aren't sure of that????!! I want to know if there
is anyone with my same MB and a ge-force fx 5200 graphic card (or
Higher)installed,that works without any problem on his system?

Thanks to all for listening to my orrible English...and for support.

Filippo

Slash
November 17th 03, 03:33 PM
On 17 Nov 2003 04:52:34 -0800, (Filippo
Bagattoni) scribbled:

>I have a gigabyte ga-8sg667 MB with agp 8x support but in MB box it's
>written that are only supported 4x(1.5 V) graphic cards....In Gigabyte
>website it's written that my MB completely support AGP 8x graphic
>cards, but when I wrote a letter to gigabyte support service to
>question if I could install any ultimate generation graphic cards like
>xfx ge-force 5200,5600,5900 ultra or Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, that was the
>reply:"First of all, thank you for making Gigabyte your choice.
>About the issue you mentioned in the mail, you might be able top use
>these AGP cards, but the speed will downgrade to 4X only. And we can't
>guarantee the result. Please try before you buy
>."!!!!Unbelievable!!!!So why the hell they write AGP 8x support
>everywhere when they aren't sure of that????!! I want to know if there
>is anyone with my same MB and a ge-force fx 5200 graphic card (or
>Higher)installed,that works without any problem on his system?
>
>Thanks to all for listening to my orrible English...and for support.
>
>Filippo

The FX5200 should be fine - you can put any new graphics card in that
motherboard. And even if it is set to 4x instead of 8x, you are not
going to lose any performance - the difference between the two for
most things is only a few percent.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Ockerr
November 18th 03, 12:07 AM
Yes the FX5200 works like a charm

Your setup is the same as mine But if I did it again I would buy a FX5900
remember the FX card will take DirectX9 Try some of the Demos at Nvidia.com

cheers

om...