PDA

View Full Version : All-In-Wonder vs. NVidia Personal Cinema

Erik Alvar
November 13th 03, 10:21 PM
I have a Abit NF7-M motherboard. Onboard video is fine, but I'm looking for
graphics
solution that includes a TV tuner.

In the past I've used ATI's All-In Wonder cards and have had nothing but
good results once they get around to fixing the myriad of problems with
their beta-but-we'll-call-it-"released" drivers. After being very happy
with the quality hardware coming from NVidia, I thought I'd take a look at
their offerings in the TV tuner card market. I hate ATI's buggy drivers

Any thoughts on the NVidia personal Cinema chipsets? I'm not looking at the
MX440 based cards, as they're really not much better than the older
All-In-Wonder I have sitting on my shelf.

I'm specifically looking at the GeForce FX5200 and FX5600 based Personal
Cinema cards.

How do they compare with the Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 and 9600 (roughly the
same pricing)? I'm excluding the 9700 and 9800 as I'd like to stay in the
$150-$200 range.

Any comments, caveats, or recommendation?

Thanks,

Erik

phobos
November 13th 03, 11:00 PM
Erik Alvar wrote:

> I have a Abit NF7-M motherboard. Onboard video is fine, but I'm looking for
> graphics
> solution that includes a TV tuner.
>
> In the past I've used ATI's All-In Wonder cards and have had nothing but
> good results once they get around to fixing the myriad of problems with
> their beta-but-we'll-call-it-"released" drivers. After being very happy
> with the quality hardware coming from NVidia, I thought I'd take a look at
> their offerings in the TV tuner card market. I hate ATI's buggy drivers
>
> Any thoughts on the NVidia personal Cinema chipsets? I'm not looking at the
> MX440 based cards, as they're really not much better than the older
> All-In-Wonder I have sitting on my shelf.
>
> I'm specifically looking at the GeForce FX5200 and FX5600 based Personal
> Cinema cards.
>
> How do they compare with the Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 and 9600 (roughly the
> same pricing)? I'm excluding the 9700 and 9800 as I'd like to stay in the
> $150-$200 range.
>
> Any comments, caveats, or recommendation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erik

I would only consider either one if you needed VIVO functionality. For
just TV, I recommend using a cheap and reliable Hauppauge BT8xx based
PCI card (I use the WinTV Go) along with Dscaler (www.dscaler.org).

Using Dscaler will produce a MUCH better image than any WDM driver can
put out. Also, instead of only displaying complete frames, DScaler
works at the hardware level and renders each field as a deinterlaced
frame, resulting in true 59.94 fps NTSC video, instead of the usual
29.97 directshow overlay you get in WDM drivers.

Need Vivo? Ok then, go with the AIW 9600 for overall value. I haven't
seen a very good Personal Cinema bundle yet except on the high end
FX5900's (but those are more expensive). If the 5700U is ever released
in a P.C. form, it'll be great.

Rob Alfieri
November 13th 03, 11:31 PM
FYI. DScaler does not work with the newest Hauppauge PVR cards (i.e.
250/350)

Regards,
Rob