PDA

View Full Version : Re: NVIDIA Linux Driver Install on Mandrake 9.1

sid
November 13th 03, 05:00 PM
Steve Mowbray wrote:

> On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
> /dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

hth
--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom

baskitcaise
November 13th 03, 05:54 PM
sid wrote:

> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>

>> On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
>> /dev/nvidia* device files are missing.
>
> Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
> /etc/modules.conf
>
> hth

If you have probs with it not starting try changing the Option "NvAGP" "?" to
Option "NvAGP" "1" in the XF86Config ( not sure on mandrake might be
XF86Config-4 ) file in /etv/X11/ this will use the Nvidia gart built into the
modules instead of the kernel one.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

Steve Mowbray
November 13th 03, 07:56 PM
"sid" > wrote in message
> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>

> > On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
> > /dev/nvidia* device files are missing.
>
> Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
> /etc/modules.conf

Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions and
in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are created
okay - they disappear on reboot.

Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is recommended -
thanks.

> hth
> --
> sid
> RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom
> My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
> I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....

Steve Mowbray
November 13th 03, 08:26 PM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> sid wrote:
>
> > Steve Mowbray wrote:
> >

> >> On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
> >> /dev/nvidia* device files are missing.
> >
> > Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
> > /etc/modules.conf
> >
> > hth
>
> If you have probs with it not starting try changing the Option "NvAGP" "?"
> Option "NvAGP" "1" in the XF86Config ( not sure on mandrake might be
> XF86Config-4 ) file in /etv/X11/ this will use the Nvidia gart built into
the
> modules instead of the kernel one.

Thanks for that tip - it has fixed the minor problem (error msg localhost
kernel : 0 : NVRM : AGPGART : unable to retrieve symbol table) however the
main problem of failing on reboot remains.

I read through this driver config option and assumed that the default value
of 3 (try AGPGART then NVIDIA-AGP) would have been sufficient - could be
that it is and the message was reporting the AGPGART try failure but then
getting the NVidia internal support okay.

> --
> Mark
> Twixt hill and high water.
> N.Wales, UK.
> Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

baskitcaise
November 14th 03, 09:33 AM
Steve Mowbray wrote:

> "sid" > wrote in message
>> Steve Mowbray wrote:
>>

>> > On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
>> > /dev/nvidia* device files are missing.
>>
>> Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
>> /etc/modules.conf
>
> Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions and
> in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are created
> okay - they disappear on reboot.
>
> Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is recommended -
> thanks.

There should be an entry near the bottom of the /etc/modules.conf:-

alias char-major-195 nvidia

This is on a Suse 9.0 box so it might be slightly different on mandrake, the
modules.conf file is parsed on boot and all modules that are in there and
uncommented are prepared so that they can be used on demand ( not exactly how
it works but good enough explanation at the mo ).

If there is no entry in the modules.conf or it is commented out then the
system does not know about it and so can`t set it up and use it.

I would also suggest that you have a look on the nvidia forums ( from the
nvidia website ) there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there that may
have seen your problem before, it might be specific to mandrake or something,
suse was slightly different with the nvidia stuff.

HTH

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

Steve Mowbray
November 14th 03, 04:25 PM
"baskitcaise" > wrote in message
> Steve Mowbray wrote:

> >> Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
> >> /etc/modules.conf
> >
> > Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions
and
> > in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are
created
> > okay - they disappear on reboot.
> >
> > Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is
recommended -
> > thanks.
> >

> There should be an entry near the bottom of the /etc/modules.conf:-
>
> alias char-major-195 nvidia

Got that.

> This is on a Suse 9.0 box so it might be slightly different on mandrake,
the
> modules.conf file is parsed on boot and all modules that are in there and
> uncommented are prepared so that they can be used on demand ( not exactly
how
> it works but good enough explanation at the mo ).
>
> If there is no entry in the modules.conf or it is commented out then the
> system does not know about it and so can`t set it up and use it.
>
> I would also suggest that you have a look on the nvidia forums ( from the
> nvidia website ) there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there that
may
> have seen your problem before, it might be specific to mandrake or
something,
> suse was slightly different with the nvidia stuff.

Will do - many thanks for your help.