PDA

View Full Version : max payne2 mirrors don't reflect

eng
November 10th 03, 04:25 AM
subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
this bugs me. TIA

Anders Albrechtsen
November 10th 03, 05:11 AM
"eng" > wrote in message
> subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
> 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
> this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
---
Anders

eng
November 10th 03, 08:36 AM
Thanks........ who reads readme's?

"Anders Albrechtsen" > wrote in message
k...

> "eng" > wrote in message
> > subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
> > 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
> > this bugs me. TIA
>
> Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
> mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
> ---
> Anders

--o--
November 10th 03, 11:42 AM
> Thanks........ who reads readme's?

i do ...when there's a problem :P

Aki Peltola
November 10th 03, 02:08 PM
"Anders Albrechtsen" > wrote
> > subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
> > 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
> > this bugs me. TIA
> Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
> mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.

Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.

Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
Must evolve.

Anders Albrechtsen
November 10th 03, 09:54 PM
"Aki Peltola" > wrote in message
> "Anders Albrechtsen" > wrote
> > > subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great
at
> > > 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't
reflect!
> > > this bugs me. TIA
> > Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
> > mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
>
> Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
> games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.
>
> Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
> only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
> f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
> Must evolve.

Actually Max Payne 2 is a DirectX 8.1 game and uses DX 8.1 shaders. Mirrors
in older games (such as Deus Ex) are not rendered by pixel shaders, but
rather through rendering the same scene from a 3rd person perspective.
---
Anders

Dark Avenger
November 11th 03, 02:11 AM
"Aki Peltola" > wrote in message >...
> "Anders Albrechtsen" > wrote
> > > subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
> > > 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
> > > this bugs me. TIA
> > Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
> > mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
>
> Whoa, quite strange that I've seen mirror-reflections in many
> games before MP2 and I've only had cards supporting DX7/8.
>
> Is this the way novadays, concentrate to DX9-programming
> only and soon even the simpliest effects do require some
> f*cking superior DX9-hardware? Right, no mercy.
> Must evolve.

Mmm, not really

Aslong as the GF 4 ti series are yet pretty found on the users
computers DX8 will not leave us. But.. DX9 has ..more eye-candy as DX8
and i'm sure that soon every DX8 card owner will feel that games are
"not as nice" as on the neigbhours computer.

And then it's time to find a nice DX9 card.

Unless ofcourse you don't play the latest games.....

eng
November 11th 03, 04:20 AM
So which version of pixel shader does my GF4 Ti4200 use? is it hardware or
driver dependant? TIA

"eng" > wrote in message
> subject as above, on my GF4 Ti4200 128mb. the game runs & looks great at
> 1280x1024, almost photorealistic textures but the mirrors don't reflect!
> this bugs me. TIA

Your card doesn't support Pixel Shader 1.4 which is used to render the
mirror reflections. It's stated pretty clear in the game's readme file.
---
Anders

jeffc
November 11th 03, 05:53 PM
"eng" > wrote in message
> So which version of pixel shader does my GF4 Ti4200 use? is it hardware or
> driver dependant? TIA

I was wondering that too. Can't he just make sure he has DirectX 8.1, and
the latest driver for his video card? If his manufacturer doesn't have one,
surely the nVidia reference driver can be used??