PDA

View Full Version : video card suggestions

Steve Lawrence
November 9th 03, 10:00 PM
Hi there

I currently own a PC with AMD Duron 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, and currently a Nvidia
Geforce2. The graphics are struggling bigtime on new releases - the last
game I bought which it could handle was Jedi Knight II. So of course I'm
looking to upgrade my graphics card, but on a fairly low budget. Originally
I considered a Geforce 5200 but then after doing some homework have found
out that it's a terrible card. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the 5600?
This is about as far as my budget will stretch, is it a good card or is
there something better in a similar price bracket? I would prefer to stick
with Nvidia purely for their reliability.

Thanks

Steve

Bob
November 10th 03, 06:10 AM
"Steve Lawrence" > wrote in message This is about
as far as my budget will stretch, is it a good card or is
> I would prefer to stick
> with Nvidia purely for their reliability.

Reliability? I looked around at this time last year for a new video card and
decided on a Leadtek A280 128MB Ti4200. I have had 3 since then. All have
had a RAM problem.

ATI looks good next time around.

Bob :(

jme
November 10th 03, 01:10 PM
I had bought a fx5200 64ddr $115aus and i thought it was ****ed untill i
learned thats wot thay do best. Now i got fx5600 128ddr $220aus and that
don't look to bad. I couldnt even use the AA with the 5200.

"Steve Lawrence" > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I currently own a PC with AMD Duron 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, and currently a
Nvidia
> Geforce2. The graphics are struggling bigtime on new releases - the last
> game I bought which it could handle was Jedi Knight II. So of course I'm
> looking to upgrade my graphics card, but on a fairly low budget.
Originally
> I considered a Geforce 5200 but then after doing some homework have found
> out that it's a terrible card. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the
5600?
> This is about as far as my budget will stretch, is it a good card or is
> there something better in a similar price bracket? I would prefer to stick
> with Nvidia purely for their reliability.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Dark Avenger
November 10th 03, 08:16 PM
"Steve Lawrence" > wrote in message >...
> Hi there
>
> I currently own a PC with AMD Duron 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, and currently a Nvidia
> Geforce2. The graphics are struggling bigtime on new releases - the last
> game I bought which it could handle was Jedi Knight II. So of course I'm
> looking to upgrade my graphics card, but on a fairly low budget. Originally
> I considered a Geforce 5200 but then after doing some homework have found
> out that it's a terrible card. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the 5600?
> This is about as far as my budget will stretch, is it a good card or is
> there something better in a similar price bracket? I would prefer to stick
> with Nvidia purely for their reliability.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

The FX5700Ultra is coming out and will replace the FX5600 series.
But...the FX5700 Ultra is MUCH better as the FX5600 Series.

:-)

So wait untill you can buy a nice FX5700Ultra!

Larry L.
November 11th 03, 10:37 AM
> Reliability? I looked around at this time last year for a new video card
and
> decided on a Leadtek A280 128MB Ti4200. I have had 3 since then. All have
> had a RAM problem.

I don't doubt your honesty, but I have to question your conclusion that
three cards from arguably one of the better graphics card manufacturers all
had the RAM failures. Were you overclocking? Did the case have good
ventilation? Are you positive that it was even a RAM issue? Most cards
seem generally the same as far as non-overclocked reliability goes, but if I
had to rate the manufacturers, I'd actually put Leadtek ABOVE the others for
well made, reliable cards.

I'm not necessarily saying you didn't in fact have 3 cards in a row with RAM
problems. I'm simply saying that this conclusion seems far less likely than
other possible causes of whatever problems you had.

Larry

Bob
November 12th 03, 05:07 AM
"Larry L." > wrote in message
.. .
> > Reliability? I looked around at this time last year for a new video card
> and
> > decided on a Leadtek A280 128MB Ti4200. I have had 3 since then. All
have
> > had a RAM problem.
>
> I don't doubt your honesty, but I have to question your conclusion that
> three cards from arguably one of the better graphics card manufacturers
all
> had the RAM failures. Were you overclocking? Did the case have good
> ventilation? Are you positive that it was even a RAM issue? Most cards
> seem generally the same as far as non-overclocked reliability goes, but if
> had to rate the manufacturers, I'd actually put Leadtek ABOVE the others
for
> well made, reliable cards.
>
> I'm not necessarily saying you didn't in fact have 3 cards in a row with
RAM
> problems. I'm simply saying that this conclusion seems far less likely
than
> other possible causes of whatever problems you had.
>
> Larry

Unfortunately it is true. No overclocking, good cooling, and the only
graphically intense program I use is Flight Sim FS2002. The cards were
returned to the retailer who then sent them "who knows where" for "testing"
and they found RAM problems.
Same retailer says many Ti4200 have been returned faulty (not a happy man).
Like you I regard Leadtek as one of the better brands.
In 20 years computer use it's the first time I have ever had a video card
fail.

I had also checked the cards myself before returning using the program
"BurnInTest" (a demo can be downloaded from
http://www.passmark.com )

Seems the days are gone when the card is completely replaced under warranty.
The new cards given were not boxed and I suspect they are repaired cards
recycled.

Bob

Alex Delarge
November 13th 03, 06:14 PM
> The FX5700Ultra is coming out and will replace the FX5600 series.
> But...the FX5700 Ultra is MUCH better as the FX5600 Series.
>
> :-)
>
> So wait untill you can buy a nice FX5700Ultra!

Get either:

5900 non-ultra

or

9800 non-pro

and overclock the ****ers. You tend to save $60-100 that way and lose
nothing.

I heard you can also soft-mod 256bit 9800se's into 9800 pro's, which
is probably the best deal on the planet.

Dark Avenger
November 14th 03, 01:01 AM
(Alex Delarge) wrote in message >...
> > The FX5700Ultra is coming out and will replace the FX5600 series.
> > But...the FX5700 Ultra is MUCH better as the FX5600 Series.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > So wait untill you can buy a nice FX5700Ultra!
>
> Get either:
>
> 5900 non-ultra
>
> or
>
> 9800 non-pro
>
> and overclock the ****ers. You tend to save $60-100 that way and lose
> nothing.
>
> I heard you can also soft-mod 256bit 9800se's into 9800 pro's, which
> is probably the best deal on the planet.

There is about... 25% chance that such mod succeeds.

There have been a few successes...and a few failures :-)

And an 9800SE functions between a 9600Pro and a 9700 Pro..so still a
nice score for such a card!

Darthy
November 14th 03, 09:22 AM
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:00:23 +1300, "Steve Lawrence"
> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I currently own a PC with AMD Duron 1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, and currently a Nvidia
>Geforce2. The graphics are struggling bigtime on new releases - the last
>game I bought which it could handle was Jedi Knight II. So of course I'm
>looking to upgrade my graphics card, but on a fairly low budget. Originally
>I considered a Geforce 5200 but then after doing some homework have found
>out that it's a terrible card. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the 5600?
>This is about as far as my budget will stretch, is it a good card or is
>there something better in a similar price bracket? I would prefer to stick
>with Nvidia purely for their reliability.

A typical 5600 is $140. An ATI 9600 would be better.... even the $75
Ti4200 would be a better card www.pricewatch.com

note: your CPU is the bottleneck when you upgrade your video card.
Look at upgrading to at least an AMD XP 2200~2600 is you can.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!