PDA

View Full Version : 52.16 question about "application controlled" aliasing & Unreal 2

Peagee
November 8th 03, 10:04 PM
I have a two part question about the new Nvidia drivers. I have an FX 5900
Ultra in an Intel 3.2 machine. Just upgraded to these new drivers. I have
it set to "application controlled" antialiasing and filtering.

1. In games like Unreal 2, where there is no in-game option for
specifically turning on antialiasing, if I desire antialiasing would I then
have to go into the Nvidia display settings on my taskbar to turn it on or
by choosing the maximum graphic options on all settings in the game itself,
would that in effect turn it on?

2. Since installing these new drivers, after some gaming time with Unreal
2, I'm thrown to desktop. I think once I got a general protection fault.
Other times, no message generated. Is there something I should have set to
minimize these problems....is this a known problem with the driver....or
should I just uninstall these drivers and go back to an earlier version?

November 8th 03, 10:18 PM
Everyone has there own unique methodology of setting their own preferences
in relation to your paragraph 1 below. I set
my own antialiasing prior to gameplay. I think the best way to do this is to
simply experiment with the settings until you find one you like the most.

In regards to paragraph 2 one of things you should also try is to reload the
latest motherboard chipset drivers from your PC manufacturer's website
or your motherboard manufacturer's website if you built your own PC. After
that is done try to see if the problem continues to occur. If the problem
continues to reoccur go to your video card manufacture's website and see
what version of the driver is recommended there and if different from your
driver then
switch to the manufacturer's recommended driver.

regards

"Peagee" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a two part question about the new Nvidia drivers. I have an FX
5900
> Ultra in an Intel 3.2 machine. Just upgraded to these new drivers. I
have
> it set to "application controlled" antialiasing and filtering.
>
> 1. In games like Unreal 2, where there is no in-game option for
> specifically turning on antialiasing, if I desire antialiasing would I
then
> have to go into the Nvidia display settings on my taskbar to turn it on or
> by choosing the maximum graphic options on all settings in the game
itself,
> would that in effect turn it on?
>
> 2. Since installing these new drivers, after some gaming time with Unreal
> 2, I'm thrown to desktop. I think once I got a general protection fault.
> Other times, no message generated. Is there something I should have set
> minimize these problems....is this a known problem with the driver....or
> should I just uninstall these drivers and go back to an earlier version?

John Lewis
November 9th 03, 03:33 AM
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:04:32 -0600, "Peagee" >
wrote:

>I have a two part question about the new Nvidia drivers. I have an FX 5900
>Ultra in an Intel 3.2 machine. Just upgraded to these new drivers. I have
>it set to "application controlled" antialiasing and filtering.
>
>1. In games like Unreal 2, where there is no in-game option for
>specifically turning on antialiasing, if I desire antialiasing would I then
>have to go into the Nvidia display settings on my taskbar to turn it on or
>by choosing the maximum graphic options on all settings in the game itself,
>would that in effect turn it on?
>
>2. Since installing these new drivers, after some gaming time with Unreal
>2, I'm thrown to desktop. I think once I got a general protection fault.

Sounds like a heat problem if it always takes a few minutes. Are you
overclocking thr FX5900 ? Even if not, install Coolbits and try
setting the clock rates in 3D mode below default and see if the BSODs
disappear. Have you checked the GPU temp in the FX5900 UI at all
before the BSOD occurs ? Needs a little nimble finger work on the
mouse to rapidly exit Unreal 2 and bring the Temperature Settings UI
up but you can do it in less than 10 seconds. With the thermal
capacity of the heat-sink the GPU temp will only have dropped 2-3
degrees after 10 seconds.

I am assuming that you NEVER EVER had a BSOD in Unreal2
with your older drivers. If you did, then you MUST also check
your processor temperature. The new 52.16 driver significantly
speeds up the FX5900, so the processor works harder too.....

A little <<intelligent and patient >> wandering around the circuity
with a hair-dryer with a narrow nozzle and/or a can of cold-spray can
be very helpful in verifying a heat-related problem and identifying
its source. I have done this very successfully many times. However,
a too-enthusiatic application of heat or cold can permanently break
things. Not a job for those with "bull-in-china-shop-in-a-hurry"
mentalities. You have been warned.....

John Lewis

>Other times, no message generated. Is there something I should have set to
>minimize these problems....is this a known problem with the driver....or
>should I just uninstall these drivers and go back to an earlier version?

Peagee
November 9th 03, 01:54 PM
> Sounds like a heat problem if it always takes a few minutes. Are you
> overclocking thr FX5900 ? Even if not, install Coolbits and try
> setting the clock rates in 3D mode below default and see if the BSODs
> disappear. Have you checked the GPU temp in the FX5900 UI at all
> before the BSOD occurs ? Needs a little nimble finger work on the
> mouse to rapidly exit Unreal 2 and bring the Temperature Settings UI
> up but you can do it in less than 10 seconds. With the thermal
> capacity of the heat-sink the GPU temp will only have dropped 2-3
> degrees after 10 seconds.

Appreciate all the ideas. It has also been suggested to me that I install
the recent patch for U2, which I didn't realize was out there. Someone else
said he experienced quite a few dumps to desktop before that. I had not
experienced *any* previously, but I wasn't all that far into the game (only
got through 2 missions). I am a little quick to blame the new video drivers
and a little leery of them because I did note that the core temperature in
the display properties automatically shot up 20 degrees right after
installing these new drivers. It's still in a safe range (62 degrees), but
I got leery when I saw that (I'm not overclocking). I'll try the game after
installing the patch and also do the quick exit to check the temp. Thanks
for the suggestions.