PDA

View Full Version : Noisy PNY 5600 fan

John Kostlan
November 7th 03, 08:24 PM
On startup the PNY 5600 256mb fan makes a horrible sound---quiets down
after a minute or so. Seems to run well in apps---Is this trouble
waiting to happen??

System (custom):
ASUS P4P with pentium P4 2.4 and 512 mb ddr 333

Thanks John

Derek Wildstar
November 7th 03, 09:28 PM
"John Kostlan" > wrote in message

> On startup the PNY 5600 256mb fan makes a horrible sound---quiets down
> after a minute or so. Seems to run well in apps---Is this trouble
> waiting to happen??

Could be, sounds like a bad bearing. If you are feeling really adventurous,
you could put the smallest of small drops of mineral oil in the breather
hole (might be under the sticker, if any, on the hub of the fan blades).

However, that's just a patch, and I'd get a new one...hell, I'd ditch it and
get a 5700U instead. don't let them charge you a restock fee, it's
*defective*.