PDA

View Full Version : Slim Video Card

DH
November 6th 03, 02:23 PM
Thanks in advance.

A friend has a Dell 4600s computer. This is their Slim line of computers.
I am looking for a Geforce4 card that will fit. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Dave H.

neopolaris
November 6th 03, 07:28 PM
DH wrote:
> Thanks in advance.
>
> A friend has a Dell 4600s computer. This is their Slim line of
> computers. I am looking for a Geforce4 card that will fit. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Dave H.

I know there are half-height GF4MX cards. Not sure about regular GF4's
though.

neopolaris

Dark Avenger
November 6th 03, 07:37 PM
"DH" (axe the x's)> wrote in message >...
> Thanks in advance.
>
> A friend has a Dell 4600s computer. This is their Slim line of computers.
> I am looking for a Geforce4 card that will fit. Any suggestions are
> appreciated.
>
> Dave H.

They are called "low profile" cards and they are on the market. Now
don't expect the most fastest card since low profile leaves less room
for connections but i've seen GF 4 MX cards in low profile and I heard
that there are also GF 4 ti cards in low profile.

You though do seek the GF 4 ti series as that is where the real
performance begins.

Maybe there are also FX "low profile" cards but..

And where to buy..ah... www.pricewatch.com or ofcourse google.

There is also tweakers.net but that is only for the dutch market!

Darthy
November 7th 03, 09:25 AM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:23:09 -0600, "DH" (axe the
x's)> wrote:

>Thanks in advance.
>
>A friend has a Dell 4600s computer. This is their Slim line of computers.
>I am looking for a Geforce4 card that will fit. Any suggestions are
>appreciated.

MX440
fx5200
ATI9200

You must specify Low-profile.

I'd recommend the Gainward 440mx

Exact model name (stupid LONG NAME TOO)
Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Pro/600-8X TV 64M Lowprofile

The 5200fx Low Profiles are 64bit versions, but its a toss up between
it and the 440mx with 128bit RAM.

Go to the GAINWARD site.

DO NOT expect modern games to run.... but games made in 2001 and older
will not be a problem.

Go to the gainward site: and look up their products... pain in the
butt.

Then go to www.pricewatch.com to buy it. Click on VIDEO CARDS, then
type in the search window LOW PROFILE (the search window for video
cards, not the TOP one for the whole site)... they are about $75.

(This is an ALL product view page: http://www.gainward.com/c-2.html )

Use pull downs to narrow down the products.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!