PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 440

KEN
November 6th 03, 10:04 AM
some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or not...but
now..
I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3 (Konami)
but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or Geforce
Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000 to
800x600!
How is possible????
My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
Thanx

ps could is possible that demo version are worster than complte version
about performance???

phobos
November 6th 03, 02:56 PM
KEN wrote:

> some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or not...but
> now..
> I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3 (Konami)
> but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
> So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
> memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
> So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or Geforce
> Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
> Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000 to
> 800x600!
> How is possible????
> My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
> Thanx
>
> ps could is possible that demo version are worster than complte version
> about performance???

Not sure about your game, but from a pure hardware comparison, the
Radeon 8500 is VERY much faster than a GF4 MX 440. A Geforce 4 MX is
really only a GF2 in disguise. Strange eh?

Well it's very underpowered and I'm not surprised your friend's is
faster even with a slow processor. There is onething you can try other
than ditching the MX...

Download a program called 3dAnalyze from http://www.tommti-systems.de/

Use it to try forcing Software T&L if the game uses hardware T&L. Why?
Using the vertex processing abilities of your card can be slower than
a fast CPU (like your P4), so forcing Direct3D HAL mode instead of
Direct3D T&L can be faster. It'll also free up some of your video card
for extra fillrate since the GPU registers aren't processing geometry
directly.

Harricio Sally
November 6th 03, 03:05 PM
I am attempting to install the drivers for this geforce. WindowsXp Pro says
that they are "Unsigned". I installed anyway as no other choice was
available. Now I have a non functional computer which started with
instability and then failure to boot.

Blue screen hex dump.

I can boot into safe mode but a refresh install of the driver isn't fixing
the non bootable issue.

I intend today to take the video card back to "Frys" due to the non signed
aspect of the drivers. But if someone reads this and has some ideas, I
would appreciate any input.

Dark Avenger
November 6th 03, 06:53 PM
"KEN" > wrote in message >...
> some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or not...but
> now..
> I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3 (Konami)
> but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
> So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
> memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
> So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or Geforce
> Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
> Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000 to
> 800x600!
> How is possible????
> My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
> Thanx
>
> ps could is possible that demo version are worster than complte version
> about performance???

Is your GFX 5200 an Ultra or an Non-ultra ...is it using an 64-bits
memory bus or an 128bits memory bus.

In the worst case you have an Non Ultra with an 64-bits memory bus, I
tell you...don't expect any performance from those cards....

I fear that you have fallen in the "FX cards are hot and fast" speech
of a salesmen....

Yeeyoh
November 6th 03, 07:17 PM
Hi I'd try setting the resolution higher, see if that makes a difference.
I'd also try differnt drivers. I had a G4 440 and I found the 44.03 set of
drivers worked great with them.
If your card is an Agp card you should bea ble to get some half decent
game play out of it. Especially with that computer.
Maybe you have a bios setting off or something?
Good luck
"Dark Avenger" > wrote in message
om...
> "KEN" > wrote in message
> > some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or
not...but
> > now..
> > I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3
(Konami)
> > but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
> > So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
> > memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
> > So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or
Geforce
> > Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
> > Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000
> > 800x600!
> > How is possible????
> > My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
> > Thanx
> >
> > ps could is possible that demo version are worster than complte version
> > about performance???
>
> Is your GFX 5200 an Ultra or an Non-ultra ...is it using an 64-bits
> memory bus or an 128bits memory bus.
>
> In the worst case you have an Non Ultra with an 64-bits memory bus, I
> tell you...don't expect any performance from those cards....
>
> I fear that you have fallen in the "FX cards are hot and fast" speech
> of a salesmen....

matthew utt
November 6th 03, 08:59 PM
its possible because the radeon is better

"KEN" > wrote in message
> some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or
not...but
> now..
> I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3
(Konami)
> but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
> So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
> memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
> So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or
Geforce
> Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
> Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000 to
> 800x600!
> How is possible????
> My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
> Thanx
>
> ps could is possible that demo version are worster than complte version
> about performance???

Darthy
November 7th 03, 08:33 AM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:04:24 +0100, "KEN" > wrote:

>some post ago, I asked about GF4 FX5200 if it's better of mine or not...but
>now..
>I've Geforce4 440 128 Mb and I'm playing on Pro evolution Soccer 3 (Konami)
>but I play only with medium detail in 640x480 for a better play.
>So I tried to overclock my GF4MX 440 to core=300Mhz and 400 Mhz for
>memory...i dont see a GOOD increase of performance...just a little.
>So, I ask U if someone could suggest me how tweak with Riva Tuner or Geforce
>Tweaker my videocard for a better play...
>Some friends play with this demo with Radeon 8500 and AMD Athlon 1000 to
>800x600!
>How is possible????
>My CPu is PIV2400 and I've 512Mb - wXP pro!
>Thanx

I play all games in at least 1024x768 or higher. A 5200 is not that
much of an upgrade. but your P4 should give you a bit more horse
power... Get a $150 ATI 9600PRO or 5700/5600 Ultra. $160~200.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!